Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will this go free to play in about a year?

xpsyncxpsync Member EpicPosts: 1,854

Simple question for those who may be uniformed of how these games operate. I wouldn't put it past ESO to further try and cash grab lifetime subs over and above box sales on what they know full well be free to play in about a year.

So within a year give or take a few months either side.

My faith is my shield! - Turalyon 2022

Your legend ends here and now! - (Battles Won Long Ago)

Currently Playing; Dragonflight and SWG:L

Comments

• jimbobfurleyjimbobfurley Member UncommonPosts: 104

No question about it.  Summer 2015 - ESO will be F2P.

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
    in before the locks!!

• xpsyncxpsync Member EpicPosts: 1,854
    They are launching with the infrastructure for F2P, can't believe peeps would even click No?

• AriesTigerAriesTiger Member UncommonPosts: 444

God I hope not. How many freebies do you need!?

PS: It's funny that no one even questions if Wildstar will go F2P. Everyone assumes ESO will. Wildstar will be the new WoW sub.

RIP paycheck-to-paycheck people.

• MpfiveMpfive Member UncommonPosts: 308
    Please stop these threads, just enjoy the bloody game when it comes out and have fun:) Enough with the crystal ball rubbing
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    ...and give us this day, our daily F2P thread...
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• strawhat0981strawhat0981 Member RarePosts: 1,198
    Originally posted by Iselin

Hahaimage

Originally posted by laokoko
    "if you want to be a game designer, you should sell your house and fund your game. Since if you won't even fund your own game, no one will".

Ah thanks man, that was good. 

• CommoXCommoX Member UncommonPosts: 85
    I'll vote no only because as soon as it goes F2P, they've lost me.
  • AriesTigerAriesTiger Member UncommonPosts: 444
    Originally posted by CommoX
    I'll vote no only because as soon as it goes F2P, they've lost me.

At least someone here is worth a damn. :)

• rodarinrodarin Member EpicPosts: 2,611

Depends on the extended sub models they offer and how many people buy 6 Mo and 12 month ones; how much canned content they hold back; how fast people burn thourgh the content that is there and what they can add; how good or bad PvP is.

The biggest determining factor will be if they price the long term subs ridiculously low people will buy them, its shown that people gravitating to this game love a 'deal' even when it should be free. So if they offer 'founders' subs for somthing like 54.99 for 6 months and 99.99 for 12 months I suspect a lot of people will buy intot hose, especially the PC platform. That buys them some time obviously.

But if people who bought time upfront stop playing and the pops drop massively then they will have to look at the orignal plan and go F2P as fast as they can. Or at lest implement the cash shop.

I should have mentioned that going to F2P does NOT spell failure it's another model for them to sell with is all. Some say SWTOR two years later is more popular than ever due to F2P.

It's only another revenue stream, and for anyone to think they are not going to take that is fooling themselves i feel.

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278

It depends on what people do, but for me, this looks a decent MMO and should be supported.

F2P ruins the games, with lame cash shop lock boxes as an example or anything goes content that is lore breaking and whatnot instead of decent awesome content that fits well with the IP.

• BadOrbBadOrb Member UncommonPosts: 791
    Originally posted by AriesTiger

God I hope not. How many freebies do you need!?

PS: It's funny that no one even questions if Wildstar will go F2P. Everyone assumes ESO will. Wildstar will be the new WoW sub.

RIP paycheck-to-paycheck people.

Wildstar the new wow sub ? That's some funny comment there. So how many subbs do you think it will have ? I would say about a million then drop to 500 k after 4-6 months that's no wow sub.

As to ESO going F2P it probably will but if they have any sense they have already programmed that into their code.

Cheers,

BadOrb.

PSO 4 years , EQOA 4 months , PSU 7 years , SWTOR launch ongoing , PSO2 SEA launch ongoing , Destiny 360 launch ongoing.
    "SWG was not fun. Let it go buddy." quote from iiNoSkillzii 10/18/13
    The original propoganda pixie dust villain :[]

• Methos12Methos12 Member UncommonPosts: 1,244
    I honestly think it's going to come down to how console audience receives it because I doubt Zenimax would go with different business models for individual platforms.
    Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

And what if it does ?

Am I supposed to wait 12-18 months after launch to play so that I can save $20 ? Because that's all you'll save if you're waiting for the box price to go away. ZOS will just shift the cost to the Cash Shop, and new players will be spending on the usual F2P crap like extra bag space and XP pots and decent mounts, etc.

There's only ONE Launch Day, when the "new game smell" still hangs thick in the air... image

And I have every intention of being there ! image

• VoiidiinVoiidiin Member Posts: 817

Hate to say this cause i have religiously played every TES game since Arena, but i really feel that ESO will end up as 2014's SWTOR mess. Sell great at first then plunge into a morass of garbage and hate, until a horrible implementation of a F2P cash shop is made with some horribly overpriced item like EvE's monicle.

I was going to pre-order this like i have done with every other TES game but i am holding off for a few months to see how the dust settles.

Lolipops !

• DragnelusDragnelus Member EpicPosts: 3,503
    dunno.. dont care..

• sevitothsevitoth Member UncommonPosts: 375

Yes. That's what all p2p MMOs do now. Get that initial box sale and subscription money, then go f2p in a year. Get used to it.

Currently Playing: DAOC Uthgard

Previously Played: UO, DAOC, Shadowbane, AC2, SWG, Horizons, COX, WOW, EQ2, LOTRO, AOC, WAR, Vanguard, Rift, SWTOR, ESO, GW2.

• AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Originally posted by Torvaldr

and lead us not into monthly rent payments for an online game...

Lol..good one.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• artemisentr4artemisentr4 Member UncommonPosts: 1,431
    Originally posted by rodarin

Depends on the extended sub models they offer and how many people buy 6 Mo and 12 month ones; how much canned content they hold back; how fast people burn thourgh the content that is there and what they can add; how good or bad PvP is.

The biggest determining factor will be if they price the long term subs ridiculously low people will buy them, its shown that people gravitating to this game love a 'deal' even when it should be free. So if they offer 'founders' subs for somthing like 54.99 for 6 months and 99.99 for 12 months I suspect a lot of people will buy intot hose, especially the PC platform. That buys them some time obviously.

But if people who bought time upfront stop playing and the pops drop massively then they will have to look at the orignal plan and go F2P as fast as they can. Or at lest implement the cash shop.

It will be interesting to see how the "pops" will be looked at in a game with a Megaserver. You won't be able to log in and see the total pop because you may not be able to see the layers of the game. I guess we will be able to see how many campaigns (servers) there are after a few months for Cyrodiil PvP.

“How many people long for that "past, simpler, and better world," I wonder, without ever recognizing the truth that perhaps it was they who were simpler and better, and not the world about them?”
    R.A.Salvatore

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591

Cant vote in the poll/need more options.

I'll reserve judgment until I actually play the game. 

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

Originally posted by Torvaldr

and lead us not into monthly rent payments for an online game...

lol

• phantomghostphantomghost Member UncommonPosts: 738

MMORPG.COM where you can find 100s of articles from 100s of members about the same topic, asking the same questions, and giving the same information.

Could you not just look 3 or 4 threads below in TESO forum section to find the same post?

This discussion has been closed.