Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"The Next Chapter for Dark Age of Camelot"

Dr_NegativeDr_Negative Member UncommonPosts: 47

Link: http://www.darkageofcamelot.com/article/next-chapter-dark-age-camelot

Studio link: http://www.broadsword.com/daoc_producers_letter.html

TL;DR - Mythic co-founder Rob Denton and several other Mythic vets (I'm assuming former Warhammer staff) form a new game studio and secured the rights from EA to operate it on their behalf and further develop the game. They specifically mention that they plan to "modernize" it and add new features both in-game and out.

Comments

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,947
    Interesting...

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• jyoung2kjyoung2k Member UncommonPosts: 12

I would so love to play a modernized version of the game, even a graphic enhancement would get me to log in for a few months at least.

Albs 4 ever.

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Originally posted by jyoung2k

I would so love to play a modernized version of the game, even a graphic enhancement would get me to log in for a few months at least.

I would too but only if it were Pre-ToA.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• collektcollekt Member UncommonPosts: 328
    Originally posted by Ice-Queen
    Originally posted by jyoung2k

I would too but only if it were Pre-ToA.

Agreed. I would be in heaven if there was a modernized, pre-ToA DAoC to play.

• boxsndboxsnd Member UncommonPosts: 438
    Make a classic server, F2P (not P2W) and DAoC will be saved. It still has by far the best PvP in the MMO market.

DAoC - Excalibur & Camlann

• KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286

I'll be watching this with some interest. DAoC is my one gaming "regret" as I only got into RvR and didn't really explore much PvE outside of leveling. I also never got my Valewalker to 50, although I do miss my Hero.

I have gone back and played a few times across the years, but it's hard to go back to an older game when the engine and game mechanics feel heavily outdated. Some nice quality of life improvements would go a long way.

• TibernicuspaTibernicuspa Member UncommonPosts: 1,199

Modernize it? Modernizing it was exactly what made everyone leave in the first place. Modern is not where they should be going.

The most attention DAoC has gotten in the last 6 years is when they announced plans to do a classic server. Do. That.

• will75will75 Member UncommonPosts: 365

Speaking of camelot.. CSE is now daily live streaming development of the successor to daoc. ok well maybe not~ but sensatiolism is always good in forums. Right?

• TibernicuspaTibernicuspa Member UncommonPosts: 1,199

Nobody get your hopes up.

Rob Denton, I knew that name sounded familiar.

http://www.gamerevolution.com/manifesto/ea-artist-soon-to-be-laid-off-burns-ea-management-2803

Mark Jacobs has a response for this, but asked not to be quoted. Essentially though, he confirms what Louse says about Denton and says "It's just the tip of the iceberg".

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Originally posted by Tibernicuspa

Nobody get your hopes up.

Rob Denton, I knew that name sounded familiar.

http://www.gamerevolution.com/manifesto/ea-artist-soon-to-be-laid-off-burns-ea-management-2803

Mark Jacobs has a response for this, but asked not to be quoted. Essentially though, he confirms what Louse says about Denton and says "It's just the tip of the iceberg".

Ahh, THAT guy. No thanks, not interested in anything he's going to be involved with. Such a snake.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• wormedwormed Member UncommonPosts: 472

Yup, Rob Denton can suck an egg. I won't go back to DAoC with that tard in charge.

EDIT: Thanks for heads up.

• hawkrylhawkryl Member Posts: 24
    It will be interesting to see what Broadsword does with it.  As much as i hate to think about supporting Denton after some of the things I have read about him, the thought of playing DAOC on a pre-TOA server sure sounds nice.  Of course that's taking for granted that they will make a rational decision to listening to their vocal fan base by making a pre-TOA server.  I think the population surge from that alone would be huge, not to mention a graphics update, more bandwidth etc...  I know i would be subbing again.   However I fear that "modernization" will just be big yellow "?" over npc's heads.

• mysticmousemysticmouse Member UncommonPosts: 146

if they open a pre ToA server I would be back in a heartbeat as well.

• movros99movros99 Member UncommonPosts: 125

I'm waiting for Camelot Unchained.

HIB for life!

• jamesusfjamesusf Member Posts: 5
    If Rob fixes the Herald and finds a way to modernize the game, I'm not concerned what kind of person he may or may not be personally.  However, if any of you believe they are going to open another server at this point, continue to dream.  They don't have the population to support two servers and are actually trying to make it easier to RvR by condensing the world through mechanical changes.
  • GiffenGiffen Member UncommonPosts: 276
    I'm pretty sure EA still has the rights and this is really just a subsidiary being formed with EA still the overlord.  It's not really a separate company.