Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Elite: Dangerous: Alpha Multiplayer Begins

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

According to a short and sweet post on the Elite: Dangerous site, the alpha test for the multiplayer component of the game has officially kicked off for early adopters. Players interested in joining in can still purchase access to the alpha.

Alpha Phase 2.0 - Multiplayer

Alpha 2.0 - Multiplayer is out now and provides backers the opportunity to play against each other in four distinct multiplayer scenarios:

• Free-for-all melee

• Pick your side in a two-team melee

• Co-operative defense of a crippled Federal battlecruiser

• A more sophisticated ‘Pirates and Bounty Hunters’ mode which hints at the fluid choices and roles players will experience on a much greater scale in the final game.

Credits can be earned in each scenario and used to purchase new ship loadouts.

Find out more about Elite: Dangerous.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• drtack1drtack1 Member UncommonPosts: 273

lol, who started this "early alpha" access crap anyways? I see alot of this "purchase a founders pack and play today" everywhere.

Is it possible the death of the "true paid alpha testers" is the reason some games that have come out within the past few years have been huge let downs to mmorpg players out there? I mean seriously, say 100 people buy early access, I HIGHLY doubt there are no more then 5-10 of those 100 people who will look at alpha testing as a key moment in a games birth. Alpha testing is key to the health and longevity of a game imo.

I could go on and on about this....fact is its sad that alpha and beta testing are just seen as a way to make even more money off a video game.

Troll away!

• azarhalazarhal Member RarePosts: 1,402
    Originally posted by drtack1

lol, who started this "early alpha" access crap anyways? I see alot of this "purchase a founders pack and play today" everywhere.

Kickstarter and indie companies with no where near enough money or employees to alpha/beta test their games.

• drtack1drtack1 Member UncommonPosts: 273
    Originally posted by azarhal
    Originally posted by drtack1

Kickstarter and indie companies with no where near enough money or employees to alpha/beta test their games.

Ah....you have a very good point.

• Mors.MagneMors.Magne Member UncommonPosts: 1,549

I have fond memories of Elite from over 25 years ago. My best friend was the second person in the world who made it to Elite status.

However, Elite is as obsolite as Space Invaders, Pac Man, or Frogger. The modern version will depend on the random event generator and the AI. There must be more to it than improved graphics.

For example, if the AI in the new Elite is similar to the AI in SWTOR, the new Elite is dead in the water because it doesn't have the marketing budget.

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,963
    Originally posted by Mors.Magne

I have fond memories of Elite from over 25 years ago. My best friend was the second person in the world who made it to Elite status.

However, Elite is as obsolite as Space Invaders, Pac Man, or Frogger. The modern version will depend on the random event generator and the AI. There must be more to it than improved graphics.

For example, if the AI in the new Elite is similar to the AI in SWTOR, the new Elite is dead in the water because it doesn't have the marketing budget.

What in the world possesed you to compare Elite to SWTOR ?

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    Companies still hire their own QA and professional testers. This is really more about early feedback in the development process and yes making some early money. Even SOE was upfront and said "this is not about finding bugs, yes if you find some report them great. But this is more about getting your input on the games features and helping us great the experience you want". Of course I am paraphrasing but you get the idea. Some people get such big heads about beta/alpha tests thinking they are the few elite that a company trusts with the privilege to test their game and find all the bugs!

I don't know about you but I wouldn't trust a bunch of random fans to be my quality assurance team.

• the.facethe.face Member UncommonPosts: 14

This game is shaping up rather nicely.  The only problem I have with any of the footage I have seen is that the ships have health bars, and that those health bars take quite a bit to take out.  That may be ok for a more drawn out, less twitchy experience with large player numbers, but 1 v 1 it looks to be too slowly paced.   The shields having health makes sense, armor and hull not so much.  At this point in game development I would expect per component damage.  It may be an unrealized goal at this point in the games development, which is hopefully the case.  I think the look of the game is great, the throwback angular shapes for the ships is a really nice touch to give it the Elite feel.

This is one of the two games I am most excited about.  The other one is a space sim, too.  

• TheHavokTheHavok Member UncommonPosts: 2,423
    Originally posted by Lobotomist
    Originally posted by Mors.Magne

What in the world possesed you to compare Elite to SWTOR ?

Just off the top of my head..

Both are sci-fi MMOs

both feature space flight

both allow ship customization

I think that allows a valid comparison.