Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Editorial] Elder Scrolls Online: What the Mature Rating Means for ESO

1235»

Comments

• machajasmachajas Member UncommonPosts: 47
    2 months before release, I doubt they have time to milk anything out of this new looser rating. Could always do with extra gore though.

Born from blood,
    trained to kill,
    ready to die,
    but never will!

• StarIStarI Member UncommonPosts: 987
    Originally posted by Gravarg

Ratings on games is stupid anyways.  I remember playing the original Mortal Kombat as a kid,  I didn't go out setting people on fire or pulling people's hearts from their chests lol.

You or me didn't do that, but somone else just may have done it. Weakest links in our society need to be fixed first and ignoring it completely certainly isn't the right way.

If anything, more (especially online) games would need M rating. While a rating in itself isn't preventing a kid to play it, it still is one of the steps in right direction.

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,823
    Nothing like a mature rating to increase sales among the pre-teens and teens. No wonder they are not going to challenge it. :)
  • loulakiloulaki Member UncommonPosts: 944

well 60 days before release and planning to make it as T-rating, probably nothing will change as the article wishes, thats my poor opinion  : ]

i believe they made some serious mistakes or they took a hit under the belt, from someone else who will release this year an MMO with T-rating ^^ (=maybe Wildstar? )

• FdzzaiglFdzzaigl Member UncommonPosts: 2,433

Sadly, I do not think the game will have any of that.

Perhaps the strong language etc. is possible in later expansions.

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!

• IllyssiaIllyssia Member UncommonPosts: 1,507
    Originally posted by SBFord

"Mature Rating" is the Entertainment Software Rating Board designation of M (age 17+), and the official rating given by the ESRB to The Elder Scrolls Online. The game was just over 60 days from launch when they were struck with this news. In a post by Zenimax, they said, “While we disagree with the ESRB’s determination, we do not plan to challenge the rating, and we are unwilling to change the game’s content to achieve a different rating.” 

Read more of Ryan Getchell's Elder Scrolls Online: What the Mature Rating Means for ESO.

I am guessing that it means that there will be lots of female characters running around the MMO on launch in the steel bikini and lots of male characters in the codpiece-equipped  loin cloth, Bill there is a reason to play this game for you! But, in all seriousness I think it may be due to the bloodthirsty combat and the likely bawdy barrens chat that is part and parcel with the more mature male MMO player. As always I will be there. Not certain whoever to play OS X or PS4, but I have been beta testing in OS X so far. At which point I had better stop typing as part misadventures with beta descriptions has gotten me post deleted here before.

• vladko92vladko92 Member UncommonPosts: 42
    That Absolutely Fantastic news, rated M. I am sorry if the studio is worked up about it, but I think this is a great thing, because they can add now a lot more mature content, including sexual moments and romance, between two players or NPC for that matter (may be a follower or something), and I do hope they will expand the romance System even further this time, to a lot more big depth without any borders to genders and so on. (I would like to see some gay themes as well.) As I said those are fantastic news! 
  • WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,361
    i could care less about rating, i only want more blood in mmorpgs , only a few mmorpgs have blood spurs and the like.
  • TibbzTibbz Member UncommonPosts: 613
    Originally posted by nerovipus32
    Originally posted by Nanfoodle
    Ya I was a little upset the game went M Rated. To many games are going that direction, even series that used to be T rated have switched to M rated content on their new games. Seems like Family gaming is falling to the way side. 

What did you expect the games story is about a demon who harvests peoples souls. The storyline is definitely a mature one.

this made me lol.  but yes since oblivion (eventually) they have been rated M... what would you expect?  When i think of "Family" games, EQ, WoW, MC etc etc come to mind... not ES series 

• Mopar63Mopar63 Member UncommonPosts: 300

This rating does not surprise me and in fact I feel most MMOs deserve it, not for the game content but rather the open community. Lets be real MMO communities are often not the most polite or politically correct places. I see the F bomb dropped more in MMO chat than I ever hear it on the streets. I also see more sexual chat in MMOs that you will find in pretty anyplace outside a sex chat room.

A few MMOs took steps to control that but most do not and that lack of control to me justifies the M rating.

• DreycraftDreycraft Member UncommonPosts: 107
    This is good news, hopefully it'll help keep less kids from ruining TESO's community. They always take over these games and completely destroy it, like locusts. So hopefully this will help TESO's community in the long run, it should make a difference but not as big as I am hoping. Plus there are plenty of older players who are immature and complete @$$holes, you know who you are, you are the ones screaming at and insulting your fellow players like a prepubescent spoiled brat when you fail at something.

• GendgiGendgi Member UncommonPosts: 16

"What did you expect the games story is about a demon who harvests peoples souls. The storyline is definitely a mature one."

Amen!

-Meow -

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,823
    Originally posted by Gendgi

"What did you expect the games story is about a demon who harvests peoples souls. The storyline is definitely a mature one."

Amen!

Is there a MMO that does not feature demons of some sort? There are an RPG cliché.

• vesuviasvesuvias Member UncommonPosts: 151
    Originally posted by dreycraft
    This is good news, hopefully it'll help keep less kids from ruining TESO's community. They always take over these games and completely destroy it, like locusts. So hopefully this will help TESO's community in the long run, it should make a difference but not as big as I am hoping. Plus there are plenty of older players who are immature and complete @$$holes, you know who you are, you are the ones screaming at and insulting your fellow players like a prepubescent spoiled brat when you fail at something.

I will take kids who's parents are involved enough to keep them out of Mature games any day over maladjusted adults who absolutely must have bare naked boobs or blood soaked exploding gibs every time you nick your opponent.  Ironicly I sometimes think M rated games have the maturity level of a rebelious anti-social thirteen year old. It's like an M-rating is license to be over the top "Immature" instead.

• StarlightMuse1StarlightMuse1 Member UncommonPosts: 5
    Very happy about this. I'd like to feel like I'm playing an adult game and nothing is more annoying than 13-14 year olds talking crap and acting like they are expert gamers.
  • GrunimGrunim Member UncommonPosts: 172
    Originally posted by Laughing-man
    Originally posted by nerovipus32
    Ya I was a little upset the game went M Rated. To many games are going that direction, even series that used to be T rated have switched to M rated content on their new games. Seems like Family gaming is falling to the way side. 

What did you expect the games story is about a demon who harvests peoples souls. The storyline is definitely a mature one.

Up till Skyrim, all of TES games kept it T rated. 

Not true.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ESRB_re-rating_of_The_Elder_Scrolls_IV:_Oblivion

Seeing the M rating for Oblivion reminded me of the quest where my husband was playing the game with his male character and exclaimed, "Hey!  Some women just propositioned me!".  I then played the same quest with my female character and those same women were recruiting me for their "enterprise".   It was a very mature theme, tastefully done.

I'm pleased that ESO has been granting an M rating and won't be restricted thematically.

• nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735
    Molag Bal is referred to as the "king of rape" so i can see why it has a mature rating.
  • DatawarlockDatawarlock Member Posts: 338
    Meh the ESRB, like the PMRC, is just another neo-religious, completely non-valid political agenda that can hardly even be defined as legal with any sort of common sense. If parents knew how to be parents, you wouldn't have ratings systems to begin with. Having an excuse to be ignorant seems to be the star of the show in this day and age though.
  • zellmerzellmer Member UncommonPosts: 442

Seriously, does it matter? 

*Clears throat* ........Fuck

*MMORPG.com now rated Teen*

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/922/Scarlet-Blade.html

*MMORPG.com now rated M*

Doesn't take much..

• GranDuxGranDux Member Posts: 70

The more M/18+ games introduced the better. Shame unrated games aren't introduced yet but those are mostly where the indie games are going where they do not have to abide to the ESRB's grawl as they are independent publishers. The reason the ESRB was created was no different than Comic Code Authority. To stop the governments and moral-watchdogs from forcing regulations on video-games.  It will be the day when the ESRB is finally dissolved and games can actually be fortold of what they should have been, instead of being barney-scrubbed for the kids n family or the moral-watchdog. And there will be less of games receiving M ratings while still being PG-13 games in their actual content. 

When gaming becomes more open-minded and stop being viewed as a 'for the fragile minds' or a child's only pass-time, when interesting stories would be introduce that would be otherwise shielded or withheld from a still conservative gaming companies then will more adult and mature games be created with more richness, more indepthness and more art. Right now the market is in a peter-pan syndrome. ESO should be glad they got a M-rating. That means that are able to do more without so much the water-down effects as seen with the storylines of GW2. It's the American culture and puritan roots which is why any game, an actual game with M-rated/18+ content will have yet to see the light of day in the west, except for those games that were developed seperately away from the main-stream conservative biggies. The game-market is in need of growing up and away from the nintendofism of gaming.

• MatryoshkaMatryoshka Member UncommonPosts: 98
    I don't know about you, but when I was younger I would ask a lot of questions about themes in movies, TV, and video games to my parents, and they would answer them explaining them to me to the best of their ability. And that's kind of something I've taken away from my parents over the years, that kids can easily "handle" sex and violence if you sit down and actually explain it to them in terms they understand. Now what age is a good time to do so is really up to the parent and certainly depends on how mature the child is in question. But I saw many an R rated movie and played many a "Mature" rated game when I was younger with my parent's approval and I turned out fine. I'd like to think a lot of parents are the same way and actually take the time to sit down and you know, parent, so that a "Mature" rating holds little meaning because their children have been taught the difference between fantasy and reality and all that.
    Originally posted by vesuvias
    Originally posted by dreycraft

I will take kids who's parents are involved enough to keep them out of Mature games any day over maladjusted adults who absolutely must have bare naked boobs or blood soaked exploding gibs every time you nick your opponent.  Ironicly I sometimes think M rated games have the maturity level of a rebelious anti-social thirteen year old. It's like an M-rating is license to be over the top "Immature" instead.

I'd rather have kids who are mature enough to handle boobs and gore over kids who can't.

Originally posted by StarlightMuse1
    Very happy about this. I'd like to feel like I'm playing an adult game and nothing is more annoying than 13-14 year olds talking crap and acting like they are expert gamers.

I got news for you, those are the adults, too, sadly.