Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Whose rooting for this one?

Comments

• JerYnkFanJerYnkFan Member UncommonPosts: 342
    I threw my support behind this.  I really liked Vanguard despite it's flaws.  I think Brad is doing it right this time with trying to focus on one aspect of the game and then branching out from there.
  • asrlohzasrlohz Member Posts: 645

I'll be rooting for it, but I doubt it will find any success. 800 000 is barely enough to a MMO. Even less so a modern one. And even if they manage to create it, they'll still be understaffed.

And you know how horrible modern AAA MMO launches are? Well, imagine how bad it would be with only a handful of devs in an indie company. Best case scenario is that they manage to keep the game up and running and enough patches to grant it some stability.

But I think it might be able to handle that. Problem is that the lead is a game developer, not a manager. He most likely has no idea how to lead the whole operation on the funds given to him. Unlike Star Citizen he won't be getting enough money to actually afford to make mistakes.

And if against all odds it makes it through all of those problems it will still be lacking customer support, legal advisers and maybe even physical retailers.

But I really hope it makes it through, their concepts are amazing! Maybe they just need the funds to get a bite on the publisher end of things and in that case they might make it. And I hope they do.

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    I've supported the game and i think that no matter what the game will get made. Brad is no idiot that's for sure, contingent back plans have been made.

• winterwinter Member UncommonPosts: 2,281
    Originally posted by SavageHorizon
    I've supported the game and i think that no matter what the game will get made. Brad is no idiot that's for sure, contingent back plans have been made.

Just like plans were made with Vanguard aye? Brad will try and get enough money from the kickstarter to set up his offices (800K) He will then try and rekickstart every year for the next 3-4 years and then will sell the game to SOE who has conveniently killed off Vanguard to  make room for it and to get players to pay for it via kickstarting Brad 

• ConvoConvo Member UncommonPosts: 160
    Originally posted by winter

Just like plans were made with Vanguard aye? Brad will try and get enough money from the kickstarter to set up his offices (800K) He will then try and rekickstart every year for the next 3-4 years and then will sell the game to SOE who has conveniently killed off Vanguard to  make room for it and to get players to pay for it via kickstarting Brad

Brad posted this on another site.. 

$800k will get us going. Right now we're working out of my garage and pro-bono. We are ready to grow the team a little, get an office, and continue developing the game. Hopefully we'll raise more than the $800k and be able to launch with some of our stretch goals. If not, most of the stretch goals will come out post-launch as an expansion or digital download.

Ideally we'll get all the money we need for Pantheon via crowdsourcing. That's Plan A. If that doesn't work out, then we'll reach out to private investors and publishers. That's Plan B. 

We did launch our Kickstarter site a little light on detail, with the intention of rolling out additional info about the game over the duration of the kickstarter campaign. We pretty quickly realized, however, that with Kickstarter people want to know a lot more, and right away, before they're comfortable pledging actual dollars. So we've been adding to and updating the site regularly, as well as doing all sorts of interviews with various web sites and popular youtube personalities. 

Your description of what how we've described the game thus far is missing a ton of detail -- perhaps you went to the site early on or didn't have time to dive into the information that is now there. I would encourage you to go back to the site and read up on our races, classes, lore, combat system, travel system, etc. I think you'll find some pretty cool ideas, features, and mechanics. Pantheon in one sense is an old school game because we use what made EQ 1 and Vanguard great as the foundation upon which we are building a lot of pretty cool more modern ideas. 

What truly makes the game more unique is the fact that we are not trying to make a huge MMO that is all things to all people. Instead we are targeting a specific audience -- the MMO gamer that is looking for more challenge, an open world to explore, and who really enjoys being part of a team and performing effectively in that team. Grouping with others and fulfilling a role within that group is paramount to the game. And we realize this means that some players straight up won't be interested in Pantheon. And we're ok with that. We're keeping our company small and focussed. We currently have 11 veteran developers on the team and will likely grow to around 25 employees over the next few months. By keeping the team smaller, by using modern engine technology like Unity, and by making a more focused game we don't need 10s of millions of dollars and a 5 year development cycle to make the game. And by staying lean and mean we also don't need hundreds of thousands of players in order to be profitable. 

Anyway, I'll stop myself there and humbly encourage you to take a closer look at the Kickstarter site... you just might be interested in what we're up to :)

Thanks for the opportunity to talk about what makes Pantheon different and, hopefully, exciting and truly fun to play!

-Brad

• kevjardskevjards Member UncommonPosts: 1,452
    Has much as I am rooting for this game I am not sure if it will meet its goals on kickstarter.Would love to play an up to date Vanguard type game .Ido wish brad all the luck in the world getting this off the ground but not sure if this game will see the light of day.
  • Trudge34Trudge34 Member UncommonPosts: 392
    I had to throw a bit at it. There's nothing since I've quit EQ in 2004ish that has held my attention like EQ did. Nothing even remotely close to the same experience as it, and nothing like it on the horizon other than Pantheon. Couldn't NOT support it even though it's a ways off.

Played: EQ1 (10 Years), Guild Wars, Rift, TERA
    Tried: EQ2, Vanguard, Lord of the Rings Online, Dungeons and Dragons Online, Runes of Magic and countless others...
    Currently Playing: GW2

Nytlok Sylas
    80 Sylvari Ranger

• ShortyBibleShortyBible Member UncommonPosts: 409
    Originally posted by Nephaerius
    Sorry can't root for a game that promises only PvE combat and nothing else.  Oh and that uses the same tired fantasy universe with the planar excuse as to why there are volcanoes next to ice caps on our map instead of logical design.  The fact that they think they can add crafting as an expansion is just laughable.  There's so many reasons to avoid this title like the plague it's not even funny.  This one's not going to make it to the finish line.  You can see the donations thus far and it won't even be close unless he takes out a personal loan to pull it off which while not unprecedented would be in violation of KS policy.

Kickstarter is more risky now. One developer stated that he borrowed money to reach his goal, this allowed him to keep the kickstarter funds.

• ShortyBibleShortyBible Member UncommonPosts: 409
    Originally posted by RebelScum99
    Originally posted by funyahns
    Originally posted by RebelScum99

I don't want any game to fail.  But I won't ever give a penny to a kickstarter game, either.  I don't pay for ideas.  I pay for actual completed games.  

I would agree with this as long as game companies are making stuff that you are interested in. What happens though when pretty much everything you see looks a bit disappointing due to going after mass market appeal? I would prefer to just buy a game and play it. Yet, there is a distinct lack of group based gaming out lately. So, I can throw 30 bucks or something at it and hope maybe I will get a game one day.  After all its better than 60 on an mmo I don't like, and I have done that a couple times already.

I understand your point, but it's just a rule I live by.  If this, or any kickstarter-funded game turns out to be a game I'd like, I will gladly throw my money at it when completed.  Whether through subscription, donation, or cash-shop items.  But I will never put money into a game that is nothing more than an idea.

Well said. I follow the same thought process. As a matter of fact I won't pre order any games either.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001
    Originally posted by sludgebeard

As someone who waited 5+ years for Vanguard, I really want to see this game kickstart and release. Vanguard may not seem like a big deal to most, but at the time the idea of a giant open world with boats, tons of races, and RP servers was exactly what alot of us were looking for. 

Well, since I was subscribing to Vanguard and since they have now slated Vanguard for cancellation, I decided to throw some of my "would be" Vanguard money toward Pantheon.

I've had better and more unique "world experiences" in Vanguard than in any other mmo I've played other than, say, Ryzom.

So I'm rooting for it now.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • Riposte.ThisRiposte.This Member Posts: 192
    I'm part of the kick starter, I'm dying for this game.

Killing dragons is my shit

• DelCabonDelCabon Member UncommonPosts: 258

I was a die hard EQ fan for many years. I waited about a year into Vanguards release to start playing and had a great time. Id still be playing Vanguard if not for the lack of support and development.

As much as I have enjoyed Brad's games I am very skeptical he can bring this latest title to fruition.  Right now I am on the fence but I can't help but be influenced by the negative rumors and stories about Brad in the past.

What happens if his Kickstarter campaign ends without raising enough funds?

Del Cabon
    A US Army ('Just Cause') Vet and MMORPG Native formerly of Trinsic, Norath and Dereth. Currently playing LOTRO. 

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    I hope it does well but I already know I'll never play it.  Sounds very much like it's going to be a very tactical slow ass combat system with a plethora of skills and hot bars full of abilities.  Not my cup of tea but I wish it well.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• DeadlyneDeadlyne Member UncommonPosts: 232
    Originally posted by DelCabon

In that case everyone gets their money back and most likely the game will never be made.

Just to question the philosophy. Army of Socrates.

• fantasyfreak112fantasyfreak112 Member Posts: 499
    Originally posted by winter

Although I doubt this is planned, as Brad and Smed are still on shakey terms, i wouldn't be surprised if it ended up this way.

Afterall he did the same thing with EQ1 and Vanguard. Third times the charm?

• ConvoConvo Member UncommonPosts: 160
    Originally posted by azzamasin
    I hope it does well but I already know I'll never play it.  Sounds very much like it's going to be a very tactical slow ass combat system with a plethora of skills and hot bars full of abilities.  Not my cup of tea but I wish it well.

It won't be. Part of the combat will be having the right abilities up.. It will be like EQ.. Last I heard was 8 abilities memmed at a time..

• MaquiameMaquiame Member UncommonPosts: 1,073
    Originally posted by Deadlyne

In that case everyone gets their money back and most likely the game will never be made.

They are going for outside funding whether they make it or not. The Kickstarter is there to help establish proof of concept to investors and publishers. Brad has stated this many times folks.

Any mmo worth its salt should be like a good prostitute when it comes to its game world- One hell of a faker, and a damn good shaker!

• JemAs666JemAs666 Member UncommonPosts: 252
    I have backed the game, because I believe in the concept.  I started MMOs with UO, but EQ was my true game that I played for 7+ years.  I truly hope the game gets funded. 
  • AIMonsterAIMonster Member UncommonPosts: 2,059
    Originally posted by Maquiame

They are going for outside funding whether they make it or not. The Kickstarter is there to help establish proof of concept to investors and publishers. Brad has stated this many times folks.

I thought they were only going to use publishers if they needed to?  If it gets funded and they managed to raise a lot more through prolonged fundraising on their website then I thought that using no publishers was option?  I might be wrong on this.

• MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988

As someone who waited 5+ years for Vanguard, I really want to see this game kickstart and release. Vanguard may not seem like a big deal to most, but at the time the idea of a giant open world with boats, tons of races, and RP servers was exactly what alot of us were looking for. 

Unfortunately the game was spread far too thin, it was just far too ambitious of a project and it went through a development hell. But the community for the game was SO strong, probably the strongest ive seen since SWG. People really loved the idea, and I played for 4 months with a guild of friends and we didnt regret it on bit. The game simply wasnt directed properly, and thus we come to Brad Mcquaid. 

After seeing his Boggie interview I have to say, Brad HAS learned alot. Hes not trying to be the legend Brad Mcquaid anymore, the badass take on SOE and make my own EQ to rival theirs Mcquaid we had in early 2000.

This Brad has seen the heartbreaks of his failure and over-ambition, you can believe this man when he says he "Was in a dark place when Vanguard Released". Im sure he was, you dont put 30 million into an indie project that determines the course of an entire company of 40 people and not start to worry. But hes over that now, his Kickstarter is extremely fair priced, even with the stretch goals being a bit overambitious the core game could be released on the budget hes asking for and be good with the dedicated team he has assembled of EQ Vets, UO vets, and the like.

I dont know, does anyone else just want to see this game succeed and actually warrent itself some small token of praise? Or am I being overly optimistic?

When I joined into this genre I signed on to play Massively Multiplayer -Role Playing Games-

Not Massively Solo Multiplayer Dungeon games that begin at endgame

^

This.............................

Originally posted by AIMonster

I thought they were only going to use publishers if they needed to?  If it gets funded and they managed to raise a lot more through prolonged fundraising on their website then I thought that using no publishers was option?  I might be wrong on this.

They would prefer to go publisherless but that's if they did basically Star Citizen good. I think Brad is saying they are good if they get like 8 million or so. Remember this is a niche game. But they still will need client support services, customer service, etc.

Any mmo worth its salt should be like a good prostitute when it comes to its game world- One hell of a faker, and a damn good shaker!

• sludgebeardsludgebeard Member RarePosts: 788
    Originally posted by MMOGamer71

Unfortunately the game was spread far too thin, it was just far too ambitious of a project and it went through a development hell. But the community for the game was SO strong, probably the strongest ive seen since SWG. People really loved the idea, and I played for 4 months with a guild of friends and we didnt regret it on bit. The game simply wasnt directed properly, and thus we come to Brad Mcquaid. 

After seeing his Boggie interview I have to say, Brad HAS learned alot. Hes not trying to be the legend Brad Mcquaid anymore, the badass take on SOE and make my own EQ to rival theirs Mcquaid we had in early 2000.

This Brad has seen the heartbreaks of his failure and over-ambition, you can believe this man when he says he "Was in a dark place when Vanguard Released". Im sure he was, you dont put 30 million into an indie project that determines the course of an entire company of 40 people and not start to worry. But hes over that now, his Kickstarter is extremely fair priced, even with the stretch goals being a bit overambitious the core game could be released on the budget hes asking for and be good with the dedicated team he has assembled of EQ Vets, UO vets, and the like.

I dont know, does anyone else just want to see this game succeed and actually warrent itself some small token of praise? Or am I being overly optimistic?

When I joined into this genre I signed on to play Massively Multiplayer -Role Playing Games-

Not Massively Solo Multiplayer Dungeon games that begin at endgame

^

This.............................

I completely agree! Im glad to see Pantheon using the hardcore roots of EQ with the custimization of VG. I cant wait for this one!

• oubersoubers Member UncommonPosts: 855

ok this is it.......i see alot of you guys supporting this game to the fullest here (and i am trying not to judge here) just from looking at the interviews or am i wrong here?

All i can find on this kickstarter page is races and classes and the other things EVERY mmo has.

IF any of you can provide me 5 (hell....i would be gladd if you provided me 3) GOOD GAMEPLAY footage movies from this game.

People are putting their money in this without even having an idea of what the game looks like....

Prove me wrong.......show me gameplay footage and i pledge....

Originally posted by oubers

ok this is it.......i see alot of you guys supporting this game to the fullest here (and i am trying not to judge here) just from looking at the interviews or am i wrong here?

All i can find on this kickstarter page is races and classes and the other things EVERY mmo has.

IF any of you can provide me 5 (hell....i would be gladd if you provided me 3) GOOD GAMEPLAY footage movies from this game.

People are putting their money in this without even having an idea of what the game looks like....

This game isn't for you. Its for people who loved classic Everquest, FFXI and fixed Vanguard. If you have no appreciation of those games nor know who Brad McQuaid is as well as his team and what they contributed to the mmorpg industry as a whole then go right on ahead and continue to play GW2 and the other stuff that will be arriving soon.

People trust this team because of their experience, because the leader of the team was partly responsible for ushering in the age of 3d mmorpgs, for coming up with little things like the trinity. Yeah, started in Everquest, copied by most mmorpgs ever since.  

Its alright if you don't pledge we won't be mad at you

KIckstarters are all about backing new ideas, and this Kickstarter is made by the guy who helped make mmorpgs to what they are today.

For many Everquest is what brought them into mmorpgs. Including myself. So I give due because that game introduced me to my favorite videogame genre. There were things in EQ as well as Vanguard that put most games to shame  nowadays. For many its about bringing classic mmorpgs back and letting the industry know that product diversity is a good thing.

Nobody is going to convince you of anything. You don't want to back fine.  You'd probably just get on the backer forum and throw a tantrum as soon as the team didn't want to do what you wanted to see anyway like some spoiled brat.

Don't slam the door on the way out.

• MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988
    Originally posted by oubers

I will just start here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brad_McQuaid