Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Editorial] Elder Scrolls Online: What the Mature Rating Means for ESO

Comments

• AlverantAlverant Member RarePosts: 1,320
    Originally posted by Catibrie
    Originally posted by Alverant
    Originally posted by Nanfoodle
    Ya I was a little upset the game went M Rated. To many games are going that direction, even series that used to be T rated have switched to M rated content on their new games. Seems like Family gaming is falling to the way side. 

Then you're not looking very hard. Companies make games for all sorts of people. There's no reason every game needs to be "Family" (whatever that is) oriented. The whine of "think of the children" has been used as an excuse to censor unpopular ideas. It's up to parents to do their jobs and quit demanding everyone else cater to their tastes.

Saying ESO should be "family" gaming because it's online is like saying the Chucky movies should be "family" because it features a doll. Not all IPs are for all people. There are plenty of "family" games out there. Too many IMHO. There's no reason for a company not to make a game that caters to adults every now and then.

As a family we only play family rated games. The number of M rated games has really saturated the gaming market. Finding options for new games family rated is not easy. Seeing more and more MMOs go M rated is also frustrating as the lack of quality MMOs adds to this growing problem as well. 

Really? I went to the google store and saw bunches of family games. If you want more "family" games then ask companies to make more, don't say that existing games should be brought down to your level.

• AlverantAlverant Member RarePosts: 1,320
    Originally posted by killer092005

Hell, if we're going Mature rating, let's go all out

Let's add some swearin and boobies and make this mature rating MEAN something!

Being "mature" doesn't mean swearing and nudity just as "family" doesn't mean sterile. What you describe sounds very IMmature.

• ArskaaaArskaaa Member RarePosts: 1,265
    soo when i unequip gear, i see more then underpants?:p
  • YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593
    Originally posted by Jorl
    Most companies are heading to the M/18+ due to what's been happening in America recently and in other parts of the world, companies and it's employees need to cover their backs, we've seen what's happened with the DC comics and Batman and Call of duty. It's down to the parents if they think its suitable for their children to play these games and rightly so. Companies are not at fault, the parents are and unfortunately some parents don't take responsibility and neither do the teens.

Its also the fact that M rating makes it cool and sells more. This is one area where voting with money is doing harm. As there is less options for games that are not M rated lazy parents will let their kids play them to get the parent time they want. Then their are parent that think seeing M rated content does not change the child so they let them play and watch anything.

Why should I care about kids? I love MMOs, hate kids. As far as I am concerned all MMOs should have lots of gore and sex and have M rating, atleast.

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    Goldshire should have given WoW an M rating. If ESO has anything similar to that, this rating makes perfect sense.

Originally posted by severius

The Mature rating doesn't mean jack diddly squat.  At least not stateside.  For one, I have never in all my years of gaming see anyone at Gamestop, Target etc deny a sale or card someone.  Does not happen, in my experience.  Another, with digital purchase options, the mature rating means even less.

Hey Mom, I want a new mmo, can I have the credit card?

What's the game sweetie? (for the 1% of parents out there that actually feign some interest)

Elder Scrolls, remember Skyrim mom?  Yeah, just like that but with all my friends playing with me.

Ok sweetie, don't forget the deal, 2.0 or we cancel everything.

In fact, I would wager that the M rating will have the same effect that it did in Age of Conan; the only affect being that the most immature will be the first at the door demanding bigger boobies :P

See I have seen GameStop deny a sale to someone under 17. The kid was drying to buy Diablo for PC lol. Tried to get me to buy it for him, wasn't gonna happen. They do enforce it, why wouldn't they. Would you risk your job for some kid wanting to buy a game? I wouldn't.

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466

"Of course with this being an MMO we can’t expect the same type of kill cam that we had in Skyrim. Imagine you’re in Cyrodiil and you kill a player, your game slows down and you see your character slicing through the enemy faction without remorse. When you’re brought back full speed you see your character is lying face down in the dirt. Obviously you can’t have your game slowed without putting you in a compromised position"

I guess you have never played AOC, you can have fatalities in an mmo in pvp without the game slowing down.

TES games are hardly The Witcher or AOC.

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Originally posted by Torvaldr

The boobs and gore in AoC didn't do much for me. I liked the game in spite of that and would rather have a T rating or better.

I really don't like a lot of sex and gore in my mmos so this is another reason I'll stick to more family rated games.

That's it..I'm putting you on ignore !!!

• NephelaiNephelai Member UncommonPosts: 185
    The future isn't in children it's in cashed up adults. Gaming is rapidly becoming a legitimised (it always was just a perception)  form of adult entertainment rather than the realm of children or adult basement dwellers. Statistics even support that the highest population of gamers is in the 30-40 bracket.
  • ziabatsuziabatsu Member UncommonPosts: 150
    Whoever called the Elder Scrolls series a "Family game" is retarded imo; not much family oriented content. Also, I'm glad they aren't bending over and taking esrb's dick to get a T rating. I've always liked mature games, I doubt it will keep all the kids out but it's a good start.
    Originally posted by DamonVile

The boobs and gore in AoC didn't do much for me. I liked the game in spite of that and would rather have a T rating or better.

I really don't like a lot of sex and gore in my mmos so this is another reason I'll stick to more family rated games.

Hahaha. I probably deserve it. I did say "excessive" originally, but changed it before I clicked post. I'm somewhat of a hypocrite since I play anime mmos like Aura Kingdom, love Tera. I mean mmos already have tons of sex in them anyway. I just try and avoid the overly disturbing or creepy.

And you play Tera? The Elin pretty much define disturbing and creepy lol.

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Originally posted by Fendel84M

Hahaha. I probably deserve it. I did say "excessive" originally, but changed it before I clicked post. I'm somewhat of a hypocrite since I play anime mmos like Aura Kingdom, love Tera. I mean mmos already have tons of sex in them anyway. I just try and avoid the overly disturbing or creepy.

I did say I was sort of hypocritical. Also, I don't really see them that way. With sex in "M" rated games it's very in your face and tawdry. Just look at the "polish my staff" reference above, or all the "where's the bewbs" questions. No class. Gore is sort of the same way. Over the top brutality doesn't add to my experience so I tend to pass on those.

In your face is kind of where you want boobs to be....and I'm pretty sure I made some comment about the naked patch now that it had an M rating lol

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    Originally posted by Fendel84M

I did say I was sort of hypocritical. Also, I don't really see them that way. With sex in "M" rated games it's very in your face and tawdry. Just look at the "polish my staff" reference above, or all the "where's the bewbs" questions. No class. Gore is sort of the same way. Over the top brutality doesn't add to my experience so I tend to pass on those.

I'm sort of with you on that.

I dont' really see the elim as creepy because I get what they were going for when they made them.

I have no issues with sex in video games but too much gore is a turn off. It seems excessive and though it might be more "realistic" it does nothing for my experience.

having said that I don't want to see hardcore sex in video games over an extended amount of time because that's kind of boring.

My friends and I do a "bad movie night" every thursday after the pub and we try to find 60's 70's and early 80's movies that are, as my friends say, "Mystery Science Theater but with tits".

But when we get a movie that's has much more sex and essentially stops the movie so we can all watch someone get screwed for five minutes, it becomes less "fun" and more "boring or creepy - your mileage may vary depending on you and your friends".

I think Tera is fine as far as it is.

Same with AoC except that the nudity is not so much disturbing as are the players who seem like they "just discovered boobies 'tee-hhee'" and have to flaunt their naked characters all over the place because it's just the best thing since sliced bread for them.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • Matticus75Matticus75 Member UncommonPosts: 396
    Better make sure that the Warhammer40k online is rate M with blood!
  • M1sf1tM1sf1t Member UncommonPosts: 1,583
    I view a M rating for a MMO as freedom to explore and push the limits of content and entertainment for players by a developer. 

Games I've played/tried out:WAR, LOTRO, Tabula Rasa, AoC, EQ1, EQ2, WoW, Vangaurd, FFXI, D&DO, Lineage 2, Saga Of Ryzom, EvE Online, DAoC, Guild Wars,Star Wars Galaxies, Hell Gate London, Auto Assault, Grando Espada ( AKA SoTNW ), Archlord, CoV/H, Star Trek Online, APB, Champions Online, FFXIV, Rift Online, GW2.

Game(s) I Am Currently Playing:

GW2 (+LoL and BF3)

• blazzen67blazzen67 Member Posts: 65
    Originally posted by nerovipus32
    Ya I was a little upset the game went M Rated. To many games are going that direction, even series that used to be T rated have switched to M rated content on their new games. Seems like Family gaming is falling to the way side. 

What did you expect the games story is about a demon who harvests peoples souls. The storyline is definitely a mature one.

Up till Skyrim, all of TES games kept it T rated. 

apparently you missed the part of this article where it said "oblivian and skyrim were given a mature rating by the ESRB as well"

• reeereeereeereee Member UncommonPosts: 1,636
    Where are people get the idea that TES games aren't known for sexual content.  I remember there being nipples all over Daggerfall... then again I was 14 at the time so maybe that skewed my perception.
  • DrunkWolfDrunkWolf Member RarePosts: 1,701
    im surprised all MMOs arnt M rated just on the fact that the communities in these games anymore are about as low as it gets.
  • ITPalgITPalg Member UncommonPosts: 314

They could go like the old Rune games or Blade of Darkness where you could cut off your enemy's arm and beat them with it.

Gotta love lonely sailors looking for handsome shirtless men at sea...

twitch.tv/itpaladin
    @ITPalg
    YouTube: ITPalGame

• DeddmeatDeddmeat Member UncommonPosts: 387
    I'm sure nobody here tried alcohol underage, watched 18 rated films as a kid or started smoking when at school?

Ofcourse the game rating won't make a difference, parents will still buy it for their kids and then when someone swears some parents will be in-game blaming their kids swearing on in-game chat and like in other mmo's reporting players they disagree with.

• xxtriadxxxxtriadxx Member UncommonPosts: 155

What does it mean?

Pretty much nothing.  

Neither will it curtail or help the game with players nor will the developers take any real risks with content.

• BarnivereBarnivere Member UncommonPosts: 10
    The m rating wasn't because of blood and gore, it started when people modified sex mods into oblivion and word got out about it on the Internet
  • GruugGruug Member RarePosts: 1,791
    Originally posted by marganculos
    hmmm M ? sooooo we will be able to see some bO.Obs ? :P cO.OL :)))

I am offended that you would call your fellow gamers such.  ;)

Let's party like it is 1863!

• aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387

All these ratings are meaningless.

Kids shouldn't be treated like little precious flower pedals. Nudity and violent themes are part of life. Folks sees them on news anyways.

The only thing that should be rated against are hate crimes and racism messages in gaming and movies.

• WolfsheadWolfshead Member UncommonPosts: 224
    Its also the fact that M rating makes it cool and sells more. This is one area where voting with money is doing harm. As there is less options for games that are not M rated lazy parents will let their kids play them to get the parent time they want. Then their are parent that think seeing M rated content does not change the child so they let them play and watch anything.

What now a M rating have nothing to do how much more people buy the a game i play in AoC and that M rating that was for the have blood and gore in that game and with M rating most people blow the age wont play a game with M rating and honest i really sick and tried off kid ruined game with there whine on company forum about how hard the game make it easy just look at WoW it is so easy now so it is boring and it will be more easy in next expansion with can Pay to Skip Content for people on blizzard forum think it is take to long to lvl up a new char.

Honest i'm glad that M rating and so if my gf which love Elder Scroll series and she can't wait to get in to game play when go live and i can say the in the Beta community in ESO is alot mature then people in WoW is it nice to know you don't have 12 year kid whine about thing is hard for in mmorpg thing should be hard to get thing and no free hand out on epic like in WoW.