Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Editorial] Elder Scrolls Online: What the Mature Rating Means for ESO

Comments

• Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654
    Originally posted by Nanfoodle
    Originally posted by nerovipus32
    Ya I was a little upset the game went M Rated. To many games are going that direction, even series that used to be T rated have switched to M rated content on their new games. Seems like Family gaming is falling to the way side. 

What did you expect the games story is about a demon who harvests peoples souls. The storyline is definitely a mature one.

Up till Skyrim, all of TES games kept it T rated. 

Not true.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ESRB_re-rating_of_The_Elder_Scrolls_IV:_Oblivion

• Father_JackFather_Jack Member Posts: 81
    I'm probably one of the few people who hated the kill cam in Skyrim, it pulled me out of the game everytime it went off.
  • Homura235Homura235 Member UncommonPosts: 167
    go play Pokemon if you don't like the rating.
  • TalinthisTalinthis Member UncommonPosts: 26

they expected differently? if it wasnt rated M i would probably quit the game right there.. you cant put in pretty much anything that was in the other elder scrolls games..

i would have specifically told them i was trying to shoot for the M rating, and considering it was elder scrolls i wouldnt have expected it to come in at ANY other rating.

• MueslinatorMueslinator Member Posts: 78

"Who can forget the book, The Lusty Argonian Maid, or The Sultry Argonian Bard? These books are items that can be found in the Single Player games, and hopefully hidden away in the dark corners of a few bedrooms in ESO."

Wasn't at least the Lusty Argonian Maid written by Crassius Curio (who appeared in Morrowind)? Wouldn't that mean that- since TESO is set to play centuries before the events of Morrowind- that it would be a major lore screw-up if that book turned up in it?

Kinda like you had Caesar read 1984.

@topic: Having an M rating grants a certain freedom, which may be good for the game's atmosphere. OTHO, some developers are known for running with the M rating and cramming in violence and nudity "just 'cause". This route, I think, would be detrimental to TESO.

• GrakulenGrakulen Staff WriterMMORPG.COM Staff LegendaryPosts: 894
    Originally posted by angerbeaver
    Do people actually pay attention to the ratings? I do not have kids but lets say you buy a 12yo a MMORPG do you look at the rating to decide?

Yes. 

• CatibrieCatibrie Member UncommonPosts: 87
    Originally posted by Laughing-man
    Ya I was a little upset the game went M Rated. To many games are going that direction, even series that used to be T rated have switched to M rated content on their new games. Seems like Family gaming is falling to the way side. 

What did you expect the games story is about a demon who harvests peoples souls. The storyline is definitely a mature one.

Not true.

Kind is when its been re-rated mostly because an add on can make you play topless.

• TalinthisTalinthis Member UncommonPosts: 26
    Originally posted by Grakulen
    Do people actually pay attention to the ratings? I do not have kids but lets say you buy a 12yo a MMORPG do you look at the rating to decide?

Yes. 

No, i dont. i got to play GTA and watch south park when i was like 13, not constantly obviously but once and a while..

you can tell if a kid is mature enough for it, and if they are i tell them if you try to copy anything in those games at all or start swearing your gonna be in big trouble and will never get another game above his age again.

it all depends on the kid.

saying that it SEEMS at least the majority of parents dont know what a grand theft auto or a M rated game means, then they go and complain to the government that they should be banned (Constant Gamestop issue, they have no clue what they are buying, to the fact there have been people buying the game for a console they dont have, and asking questions if xbox games work on playstation)

• kilunkilun Member UncommonPosts: 829

Yes. 

Really?  I have and never will look at ratings of a game, movie, tv etc.  Those are government mandated guidelines for the ignorant.  I'll be the judge on whether something is appropriate for my kids or not, and frankly few if any games will I care about as long as the content is sound.

For instance, all Marvel movies are rated PG-13 (Punisher/Blade of course not withstanding) and do you think if I followed government guidelines, my children could enjoy seeing those movies, obviously not. (Ages 6 and 4 currently)  For my son's fourth birthday he wanted to go see Captain America. 

I don't play GTA.  I don't see a purpose behind the game.  My kids won't play it.  A FPS such as Doom back in the day (or Doom3) I will not hesitate to buy my kids it.

As for any nudity, frankly, who cares IMO?  America really is the only country that has sex as the most taboo thing in the whole world. (If it is present in this game) 

• syriinxsyriinx Member UncommonPosts: 1,383
    Originally posted by Sovrath
    Originally posted by syriinx

Mature rating allows for better writing

I don't know about "better" writing but it allows more honest writing considering the subject matter.

More honest is definitely better.   

There's also "honest bad writing".

Bad writing is bad writing.  If you start adding in curses and sexually explicit talk just because you can, its no longer honest.  

The bigger problem with M rated games is overuse of the blood.  Someone mentioned fatalities in this thread and that is the exact type of lame crap developers like to toss in when they get the M rating.  It works for some games/genres but not for a MMORPG.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    Originally posted by kilun

Yes. 

Really?  I have and never will look at ratings of a game, movie, tv etc.  Those are government mandated guidelines for the ignorant. 

You assume so much.

a parent sees a rating, It's M, they then say "oh really well let's see what that means" The do their research find out it's nudity, they don't care, and they let their kid view/play.

You assume that all people are blindly looking at ratings and just making split second decisions based solely only on a number or letter.

Heck, my own mother would look at movie ratings and if it wasn't "G" she would then start asking questions of the people at work who actually watched the movie and "Then" make a decision as to whether or not it was something she was ok with us seeing.

Same with our first RAted R movie. We wanted to see several but she found out about them precisely because of  the rating and didn't let us see one until she discovered one that "just wasn't a big deal" and let us see it.

All these ratings need to be are signposts.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • kilunkilun Member UncommonPosts: 829

Yes. 

Really?  I have and never will look at ratings of a game, movie, tv etc.  Those are government mandated guidelines for the ignorant. 

You assume so much.

a parent sees a rating, It's M, they then say "oh really well let's see what that means" The do their research find out it's nudity, they don't care, and they let their kid view/play.

You assume that all people are blindly looking at ratings and just making split second decisions based solely only on a number or letter.

Heck, my own mother would look at movie ratings and if it wasn't "G" she would then start asking questions of the people at work who actually watched the movie and "Then" make a decision as to whether or not it was something she was ok with us seeing.

Same with our first RAted R movie. We wanted to see several but she found out about them precisely because of  the rating and didn't let us see one until she discovered one that "just wasn't a big deal" and let us see it.

No I don't, look at Talinthis  post right above me and walk into ANY gamestop and ask the guy or gal behind the counter, they will tell you the exact same thing.

Your parents were informed, but the majority of parents still unfortunately do not get into their children's hobbies nor do they really do any research into anything.

---

And I think you were not getting the full aspect of my post, my original quote was in response to, Yes, I take those into account.  I was saying I don't because like your parents, I'm informed.  I could care less whether its rated or not.  I can make an informed choice in regards to my own parenting.

Hell many children have zero parental guidance at all, so really its a moot point on ratings, except for the ignorant in what to expect going into a purchase, be it a game, movie, or other entertainment. 

• funyahnsfunyahns Member Posts: 315

Mature rating allows for better writing

I don't know about "better" writing but it allows more honest writing considering the subject matter.

More honest is definitely better.   

There's also "honest bad writing".

Bad writing is bad writing.  If you start adding in curses and sexually explicit talk just because you can, its no longer honest.  

The bigger problem with M rated games is overuse of the blood.  Someone mentioned fatalities in this thread and that is the exact type of lame crap developers like to toss in when they get the M rating.  It works for some games/genres but not for a MMORPG.

Yeah cursing has nothing to do with being able to tell a good story or not. One of the best writers I have read cusses very little, and when they do its almost a shock.  As far as the rating goes I hardly see it as an obstacle.  Since you need a credit card to play the kids who can get someone to pay that will most likely not care about the rating.

• MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988

Yes. 

Sorry, never let a sticker rating decided by some suits tell me how to parent.

• avalon1000avalon1000 Member UncommonPosts: 791
    Another game I will never play. I rarely attend R rated movies as well.  And people wonder why a teenage boy opens fire in a school.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002

Yes. 

You assume so much.

No I don't, look at Talinthis  post right above me and walk into ANY gamestop and ask the guy or gal behind the counter, they will tell you the exact same thing.

Your parents were informed, but the majority of parents still unfortunately do not get into their children's hobbies nor do they really do any research into anything.

---

And I think you were not getting the full aspect of my post, my original quote was in response to, Yes, I take those into account.  I was saying I don't because like your parents, I'm informed.  I could care less whether its rated or not.  I can make an informed choice in regards to my own parenting.

Hell many children have zero parental guidance at all, so really its a moot point on ratings, except for the ignorant in what to expect going into a purchase, be it a game, movie, or other entertainment. 

How do you know "it's the majority"?

I'm not saying there aren't horrible parents. I KNOW there are horrible parents. There have always been horrible parents.

but I suspect that there are plenty of good parents who do get involved. Maybe the parents who shop at game stop are the "bad parents" and the "good parents" have a "good relationship" with their children so the "gamestop employees" never see them?

Maybe the "good parents" don't need to ask the game stop employees anything because they are already "in the know".

Maybe Talinthis' parents knew he could handle it or just didn't care or did care but felt if some of this stuff gave him "issues' he would talk about it.

every parent is different and every child is different. My mother told me everthing about sex when I was in kindergarten. There were no real mysteries there.

I"m sure some parents wait. It all depends.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988
    Originally posted by avalon1000
    Another game I will never play. I rarely attend R rated movies as well.  And people wonder why a teenage boy opens fire in a school.

Well the real reason would get flagged as inappropriate (rightfully so) on a game forum, and it has nothing to do with TV, movies, recording industry or games.

Edit:

I kant tipe todae.

• AlverantAlverant Member RarePosts: 1,320

Then you're not looking very hard. Companies make games for all sorts of people. There's no reason every game needs to be "Family" (whatever that is) oriented. The whine of "think of the children" has been used as an excuse to censor unpopular ideas. It's up to parents to do their jobs and quit demanding everyone else cater to their tastes.

Saying ESO should be "family" gaming because it's online is like saying the Chucky movies should be "family" because it features a doll. Not all IPs are for all people. There are plenty of "family" games out there. Too many IMHO. There's no reason for a company not to make a game that caters to adults every now and then.

• AlverantAlverant Member RarePosts: 1,320
    Originally posted by avalon1000

Because they have easy access to guns. There is no connection between virtual violence and real life violence. If there was, playing SimCity would be a requirement for running for mayor.

Originally posted by Alverant

Then you're not looking very hard. Companies make games for all sorts of people. There's no reason every game needs to be "Family" (whatever that is) oriented. The whine of "think of the children" has been used as an excuse to censor unpopular ideas. It's up to parents to do their jobs and quit demanding everyone else cater to their tastes.

Saying ESO should be "family" gaming because it's online is like saying the Chucky movies should be "family" because it features a doll. Not all IPs are for all people. There are plenty of "family" games out there. Too many IMHO. There's no reason for a company not to make a game that caters to adults every now and then.

As a family we only play family rated games. The number of M rated games has really saturated the gaming market. Finding options for new games family rated is not easy. Seeing more and more MMOs go M rated is also frustrating as the lack of quality MMOs adds to this growing problem as well. 

• GoathornsGoathorns Member UncommonPosts: 3
    Ehh not really. Sounds a lot like Lich King. 
  • Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654
    Originally posted by Catibrie
    Originally posted by Laughing-man

Not true.

Kind is when its been re-rated mostly because an add on can make you play topless.

You didn't read what I linked did you?

"What Bethesda had originally disclosed to us, as an example: In that section of the game, there is a hanging corpse. What they disclosed to us was a hanging corpse in the dark, pretty far away and without much detail. And yet, when you bring a torch up to the hanging corpse in the actual game, you can see that it's very mutilated with lots of blood and bones. That was a very different depiction, far more intense, far more extreme than what had been disclosed to us.[1]"

Taken from my linked post.

Sorry, next time read the linked literature if you are going to comment, thanks.

• killer092005killer092005 Member UncommonPosts: 26

Hell, if we're going Mature rating, let's go all out

Let's add some swearin and boobies and make this mature rating MEAN something!

• severiusseverius Member UncommonPosts: 1,516

The Mature rating doesn't mean jack diddly squat.  At least not stateside.  For one, I have never in all my years of gaming see anyone at Gamestop, Target etc deny a sale or card someone.  Does not happen, in my experience.  Another, with digital purchase options, the mature rating means even less.

Hey Mom, I want a new mmo, can I have the credit card?

What's the game sweetie? (for the 1% of parents out there that actually feign some interest)

Elder Scrolls, remember Skyrim mom?  Yeah, just like that but with all my friends playing with me.

Ok sweetie, don't forget the deal, 2.0 or we cancel everything.

In fact, I would wager that the M rating will have the same effect that it did in Age of Conan; the only affect being that the most immature will be the first at the door demanding bigger boobies :P

Originally posted by severius

The Mature rating doesn't mean jack diddly squat.  At least not stateside.  For one, I have never in all my years of gaming see anyone at Gamestop, Target etc deny a sale or card someone.  Does not happen, in my experience.  Another, with digital purchase options, the mature rating means even less.

Hey Mom, I want a new mmo, can I have the credit card?

What's the game sweetie? (for the 1% of parents out there that actually feign some interest)

Elder Scrolls, remember Skyrim mom?  Yeah, just like that but with all my friends playing with me.

Ok sweetie, don't forget the deal, 2.0 or we cancel everything.

In fact, I would wager that the M rating will have the same effect that it did in Age of Conan; the only affect being that the most immature will be the first at the door demanding bigger boobies :P

There will be a group of people that will buy this game now for the rating. So why not demand more of the same? In for a penny, why not the pound?