Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Free Market Gaming - P2P, P2W, B2P, F2P ETC - How it works. (In the real world)

124»

Comments

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Originally posted by nariusseldon
    Originally posted by Gaendric

Just shows what some of us have been saying, that a F2P vs. P2P battle is pointless.

It is only pointless if you expect a resolution, or a "win" or "loss".

It is not pointless if you are enjoying drama and debate.

I never see the argument as right or wrong, or win or lose. It's about true or false. I already know people just like one or the other. The issue I see argued is.... is what they're saying about the model they like/dislike actually true. Or is it an excuse to justify why they like/dislike their choice.

Statements like free players just want things for free. While it may fit some portion of the player base it isn't a true statement because it doesn't really apply to everyone...or even close to everyone.

Subs offer better quality games....but there's only one game that actually fits that description.

The list goes on and on...

• GaendricGaendric Member UncommonPosts: 624
    Originally posted by DamonVile

Just shows what some of us have been saying, that a F2P vs. P2P battle is pointless.

I never see the argument as right or wrong, or win or lose. It's about true or false. I already know people just like one or the other. The issue I see argued is.... is what they're saying about the model they like/dislike actually true. Or is it an excuse to justify why they like/dislike their choice.

Statements like free players just want things for free. While it may fit some portion of the player base it isn't a true statement because it doesn't really apply to everyone...or even close to everyone.

Subs offer better quality games....but there's only one game that actually fits that description.

The list goes on and on...

Yeah I agree to that, interesting to see the arguments and to see to which extents people go to push their side of the argument. 

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

There surely is no shortage of drama in those threads :)

Exactly. Why do you think so many here day in and day out flogging the same dead horse. In fact, this thread (about business models) have been done to death.

It got so many responses because people are enjoying the debate and compel to response. No one is naive enough to expect he or she will come up with some magical argument and settle it once and for all.

• kkarrabbasskkarrabbass Member Posts: 152
    Originally posted by iridescence

Of course. It is seldom about affordability as some here miscontrued.

It is about competition. I just bought a bottle of $60 wine but i won't drop a dime on MMORPGs. Why? Because for the wine i want, i cannot get it for anything less.

However, for MMORPGs, i don't get more fun when i pay for it, so why should i?

Well see I wouldn't spend more than $10 on a bottle of wine because cheap wine pretty much tastes the same as expensive wine to me. So I'm with wine like you are with MMORPGs. There is a higher standard and better quality in more expensive to play MMORPGs for the most part you just don't care enough to buy them. Just like I don't care enough to buy the $60 wine for the slight increase in quality which I could probably barely taste.

First, $60 a bottle is not expensive. There is wine which is orders of magnitude above $60. Second, i wouldn't pretend to be a wine expert, but i can tell the difference between a $10 bottle, and a $50-100 ... above that range, i have no experience.

Secondly, there is no higher quality in MMORPGs if you go to sub ... there are only like TWO main one.

WOW, i have played, and bored with and quit. Eve i do not like .. in fact, Eve pve is easy mode boring stuff.

Unlike wine, MMORPG's fun factor (which of course is subjective) does NOT go up with price. In fact, the one i enjoy most .. Marvel heroes .. is totally free. I can find pinot noir (wine i like) at higher price which i like better. Tell me, is there a super hero MMO that i can play marvel characters with a higher price and a higher quality than Marvel Heroes.

If there is one, i will play it tomorrow.

You didn't get it?! It is never about quality on market or rarities (even not so rarities). "Because for the wine i want, i cannot get it for anything less". And your over annoying reminiscence about your limited vine experience is missing the point.

We pay more because we badly want it, and cannot get it for less. And doesn’t matter what it is.

And doesn’t matter why we want it that much.  And all this your dilettante logic about quality/price has no real relevance.

The analogy vine/game (both deviate us from reality) is very direct and proper. All conclusions should follow.

• GaendricGaendric Member UncommonPosts: 624

Exactly. Why do you think so many here day in and day out flogging the same dead horse. In fact, this thread (about business models) have been done to death.

It got so many responses because people are enjoying the debate and compel to response. No one is naive enough to expect he or she will come up with some magical argument and settle it once and for all.

Agree to the first part.

Not entirely convinced by the last bit. While I do agree it applies to the majority, there are some very emotionally loaded messages in these threads. Those people don't seem to see it as a dead horse, little fun discussion or lost cause. Judging by the attacks/badmouthing/rants, not everyone is just "enjoying the debate" :p

Originally posted by kkarrabbass

We pay more because we badly want it, and cannot get it for less. And doesn’t matter what it is.

want want? There are so few games you can actually pay more. There are like what .. 3 .. WoW and Eve, and FF.

It does not look like you can get more by paying more, unlike wine.

Agree to the first part.

Not entirely convinced by the last bit. While I do agree it applies to the majority, there are some very emotionally loaded messages in these threads. Those people don't seem to see it as a dead horse, little fun discussion or lost cause. Judging by the attacks/badmouthing/rants, not everyone is just "enjoying the debate" :p

Of course some don't see it as a dead horse .. but it does not make them right. Don't tell me you don't think 99% of the arguments are a) repeating, and b) convincing no one .... a perfect definition of dead horses.

Now i don't understand how people would engage in leisure activities (and posting on forums surely is not necessarily, and hence leisure activity to me) without any enjoyment. I suppose people can have weird preference and want to inflict mental anguish on themselves ... but at the end of the day, i would guess that most are enjoying, otherwise they would not be doing it.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Abuz0r

That's a decent point, how ever it does not deter from the fact that if they can get 100,000,000 people to log into a $150 hero engine chinese grinder that runs on a Core2Duo E8400 and 0.1% of them are willing to pay money to dress up their zelda looking pixel stack and be king.  They'll have 100,000 paying customers for total trash.

Evidently 100,000 people don't think it's trash. 

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

Originally posted by RealmLordsKen
    Originally posted by DamonVile

And calling a game that made $130 million last year a miserable failure ...well... I wish all my projects failed that bad.

Hell yeah, mine too.

Not to mention they can recoup all the initial investment (200M) in less than 2 years. And after that, the profit margin is high (because server costs are very small compared to the revenues).

It is certainly a financial success, and no doubt encouraging for other big themepark investment like ESO.