Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Which MMO's bring best competition for the player? (in your opinion)

KopogeroKopogero Member UncommonPosts: 1,685

I recently made a thread, trying to find a MMO that offers a good competition that one would be interested to compete and invest his time in first place...Since these are all the responses I receieved http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/404336/I-desperately-want-to-spend-my-.html  apparently the MMO genre indeed is lacking in this department. That being said still there are a lot of MMO's out there and there must be one that does it better than the rest at least...

So let me clarify this one more time...I'm looking to compete within the game so like I mentioned for a further purpose/benefit for my character in that particular game, not for things non-related to the game itself like score boards and ladders. Everything can be competitive and can be worth to compete for...from crafting to raiding, PvP and what not. Example: There is competition amongst guilds with content progression and amongst players like most consistent/reliable, most knowledgable about their class or content/boss mechanics.

So, in your opinion which MMO's bring best competition for the player in whatever the MMO is about? I have to take shower and I'll share the MMO's I think doing better job than most afterwards...

Comments

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

If i were you, i would just try out MOBAs like LoL.

If you just want competition, they are close enough to MMOs. Heck, websites like this one even classifies it as such.

• Zaiel12Zaiel12 Member Posts: 12
    MOBAs are not MMOs. They don't play like an MMO. The PvP is not exciting, its not thrilling, and its not gratifying. <10 ppl in a MOBA is not Massive. MMO "Massive Multiplayer Online"
  • DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

If it's pve competition I'd say wow.

If it's pvp...I'll agree on MOBA. They're way better than any mmo pvp.

• CMKnuxCMKnux Age of WulinMember Posts: 2

Hey guys,

I can't help but be lured into breaking lurker status by a topic like this. This game I'm working on has competitive open-world PvP that may be of interest to you. For reference, check out http://goo.gl/7MGgRx - we ran this tournament a few weeks back, that's the final (and most interesting) day.

Cheers,

Knux

Interested in Age of Wulin? Click here!
    If you have a guild or group who are intrigued by a PvP-based sandbox MMORPG, please PM me!

Originally posted by Zaiel12
    MOBAs are not MMOs. They don't play like an MMO. The PvP is not exciting, its not thrilling, and its not gratifying. <10 ppl in a MOBA is not Massive. MMO "Massive Multiplayer Online"

For you ... obviously it is exciting and fun for the LoL players which outnumber WoW's.

Yes, it is not massive, just like WOW arena and battleground, and most of the other MMO pvp.

• Iceman8235Iceman8235 Member UncommonPosts: 205

Try Smite.  It's a free to play MOBA, but the camera view and wasd movement make it feel more like an MMO than other MOBA's.  If you're looking for competition I guarantee  you'll find it there.

• plat0nicplat0nic Member Posts: 301
    pve or pvp competition? 

Main Game: Eldevin (Plat0nic)
    2nd Game: Path of Exile (Platonic Hate)

• MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988
    Lord of the Rings.
  • LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Definitely check out MOBAs.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

Originally posted by Cecropia

Take a five minute stroll through his post history.

We have a few regulars around here that are only interested in stirring shit up and have fun doing so.

You are absolutely correct, though. MOBAs are not MMOs. They are classified differently for pretty obvious reasons despite having some MMOish features.  

So what if MOBAs are not MMOs. I am not the only one who is suggesting MOBA to the OP.

It certainly fit what he wants. Are you saying we should not offer good suggestions just because some disagree with the classification?

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,885

What about competing with yourself. Trying to take on content that is harder with different builds and stuff or different classes. I do that often which kinda explains why I have so many characters in every MMO. I never reach end game often cos I get tired of all the similar content I trudge through so I guess I will not meet the reach end game criteria of your post.

I even did that Mass Effect 2 tried different builds and classes and in the end I finished it only with the engineer.

Competing with others is a whole different kettle of fish because then you also competing with resources and time constraints. I guess I can never consider it an even competition unless we all start the same hence the tournament style FPS seems to guarantee that more fairly.

This is why I never stay long at PvP because I imagine the other guy has some advantage over me and it upsets me and I give up. I do enjoy it thought he brief times I have managed to get over my prejudices and play. I enjoyed it most in WoW battlegrounds.

I think mobas are an mmo. 

Originally posted by plat0nic
    I think mobas are an mmo. 

Not just you.

This site listed it as such.

Many industrial research firms classify MOBAs as MMOs.

Some will try to put their head in the sand, but that is their right.

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699

The most competitive games I've played were the Street Fighter series.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• korent1991korent1991 Member UncommonPosts: 1,364

I don't know if you checked out EVE, but by what you desribed this is exactly the type of game you're looking for.

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."
    -------------------------------

• SuperNickSuperNick Member UncommonPosts: 460
    While it's not out, Wildstar is going to have some really good competitive PvP. An actual skill based system (it is ALL twitch/skillshot based and a competent dev team to boot.
  • KopogeroKopogero Member UncommonPosts: 1,685
    Originally posted by kitarad

Competing with others is a whole different kettle of fish because then you also competing with resources and time constraints. I guess I can never consider it an even competition unless we all start the same hence the tournament style FPS seems to guarantee that more fairly.

This is why I never stay long at PvP because I imagine the other guy has some advantage over me and it upsets me and I give up. I do enjoy it thought he brief times I have managed to get over my prejudices and play. I enjoyed it most in WoW battlegrounds.

As long as the game does not punish players for mistakes/losing and only rewards players for investing their time, then yes you have the right to avoid the game since you will never "catch up". It's also naturally someone to be ahead of you and better than you if he invested a lot of efforts, $ and gained experience in the process to exceed with his role/class. You can't expect to just pwn some "veteran" off the bat. If you only knew what I went through for year and a half to finally become a Jedi knight..(less if I didn't have to wait few months for some patch)

Anyways, thx for all your replays, but not a single person mentioned one game and caring to describe specificly why it's worth competing, for what gains, etc.

Every game where the competition is not related to the game itself like ladders/ranks/scoreboards (which are non related to the game itself) are non important, unless I still had the need/urge to prove myself to someone or gain some fanbase/$, which again are outside of the game itself...

Now let me tell you what some good competition is. Becoming something more than the rest with your role to further progress within the game, making yourself a name as a quality craftsman...to increase my wealth or ranks and power within the game itself.

Some who mentioned WOW as "competitive" when it comes to PvE. When you allow your playerbase to attempt bosses for 168 hours in the week, who you think will kill the bosses? The people who raid 5-6 days for 5-6 hours or the people who raid 2-3 days for 3-4 hours? On other hand if everyone had a time limit that they could overcome bosses within a week, well that would be something different and would truly distinct good guilds/players from bad. See my point?

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739

I play LoL, but I do not get the same feeling from combat as say I got from traditional open world pvp...Now if you are a arena person or something, then maybe so.  I would probably enjoy MOBA pvp over Arena, as I am not a arena fan.  I find small scale instanced pvp in a traditional mmorpg to be dull and boring for me.  I like the unpredictability, and suprise that can happen when you fight in a open world against people or another guild in a mmo.

A MOBA  (LoL) is a quick/simplistic fix for me, that is something I generally do not look for in a mmorpg.  I also enjoy Civ IV still as a strategy, deeper game.  I think FPS games also do instanced/quick combat better than mmorpgs.  Everything is a mmo now, but I pick the subset that I think delivers what I am looking for. 

FPS - Probably the most pure fun.

MOBA - Good mix of fun/speed, without changing champions/heros or whatever the game you are gonna play calls them, your abilities are somewhat limited usually.

MMORPG open world - Not as quick/fast, but can be more tactical and provide more suprise/randomness.

These are just my opinions on it.  They are trying to make stuff more everything, and I don't think this works in the end.  I would rather have 2-3 games that excel in their area, than 1 that is decent everywhere.  They are striving to excel everywhere, but I haven't seen it, and don't think it is going to happen.

Originally posted by Robokapp
    Originally posted by nariusseldon

For you ... obviously it is exciting and fun for the LoL players which outnumber WoW's.

Yes, it is not massive, just like WOW arena and battleground, and most of the other MMO pvp.

wow has 40 v 40 bg's and pvp zones with hundreds.

LoL has 5 v 5.

it's not massive ... 40 v 40. not given what EVE shows us 'massive' means. but it's certainly large-scale.

a 5,000+ player fight is massive. I think record is just under 6k. but a few hunred on each side certainly is bordering massive.

So? in fact, the more massive the pvp, the fewer the player. That should tell you something about what people prefer.

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230
    You can't get a good competitive fix from MMOs right now. You are better off playing MOBAs or Starcraft 2.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

I'd say if you want personal glory, play a MOBA. Otherwise to me MMORPG's are all about how good your guild is...  Top raid guild on the server or top pvp guild etc.. Not a lot of room for individual glory in MMORPG's. 

• djazzydjazzy Member Posts: 3,578
    Originally posted by Iceman8235

Try Smite.  It's a free to play MOBA, but the camera view and wasd movement make it feel more like an MMO than other MOBA's.  If you're looking for competition I guarantee  you'll find it there.

I endorse this as well. Give SMITE a go

or as you rudely put it...So?

So the OP should look into MOBAs as well as MMOs, as some has already suggested SMITE.

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230

wow has 40 v 40 bg's and pvp zones with hundreds.

LoL has 5 v 5.

it's not massive ... 40 v 40. not given what EVE shows us 'massive' means. but it's certainly large-scale.

a 5,000+ player fight is massive. I think record is just under 6k. but a few hunred on each side certainly is bordering massive.

So? in fact, the more massive the pvp, the fewer the player. That should tell you something about what people prefer.

There's more players than groups therefore more people prefer singleplayer.

wait, no, that's not what it tells me, that's dumb.

what it tells me that there's more peasants than nobles.

that makes sense...but how is that relevant to anything?

or as you rudely put it...So?

Where is the fine print that says you have to be in a group when playing an MMORPG. Where does it say that the battles need to be "massive"? What does "massive" mean anyway and to what it refers to?

-No. Save it.

I doubt many care whether a game is called an MMO or MMORPG or neither. Most just want to play a good game, that's all. Arguments over what exactly constitutes an MMORPG are among the most fruitless discussions here.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• laokokolaokoko Member UncommonPosts: 2,004
    Farmville.  You compete by stealing other people's vegetable and try not to get steal.