Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Yet another beta weekend under NDA...

I think for any consumer who isn't naive, they've just killed any chances of getting a preorder from them.

How little confidence do you have to have in your product that you're unwilling to let people advertise it and perhaps use them as free marketing less than two months before release? 

I mean look at Age of Conan: that game had little content, but the devs were smart enough to restrict the maximum level so you got the best experience possible. They GOT NEARLY 1 MILLION PREORDERS/SALES DUE TO IT and that IP WASN'T HALF AS BIG AS ES.

If this game sells 1 million (in preorders assuming there is no open beta), I will very much be surprised and saddened that there are still people who will throw their money at anything.

They are doing more harm to their game than they realize and I sincerely hope that the marketing people at ZO are fired.

Edit: purchasing, not purcashing.. damn it I can't edit it now... great

Comments

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

Honestly, the NDA might be up because of the negative impact it can have. A fool and his money is easily departed, and its nothing new in MMos today. People are willing to dish out money at anything without knowing the final product with often unpleasant results. 

Not to say ESO is bad, but if your games not looking to well, as a business side of things (and anti consumer) your best bet would be to try and build up hype while minimizing what players see of the game to snag sales before disapointment can stop people from preordering, particularly with incentives that you dont want to miss out on.

• RelytDnegelRelytDnegel Member UncommonPosts: 261
    I actually don't mind it. It can be a real turn off if they allow footage to be spread around of people glitching and/or finding bugs etc. FFXIV:ARR comes to mind as they did not lift their NDA until after the open beta even. They want the videos they put out to get the views for now but I would like to see some 3rd party footage before I buy the game myself.
  • coventryhagdogcoventryhagdog Member Posts: 85
    Originally posted by Purutzil

Honestly, the NDA might be up because of the negative impact it can have. A fool and his money is easily departed, and its nothing new in MMos today. People are willing to dish out money at anything without knowing the final product with often unpleasant results. 

Not to say ESO is bad, but if your games not looking to well, as a business side of things (and anti consumer) your best bet would be to try and build up hype while minimizing what players see of the game to snag sales before disapointment can stop people from preordering, particularly with incentives that you dont want to miss out on.

Yeah, but.. I mean.. come on. Look at Age of Conan. Look at how fucking broken that game was and it had PLENTY of OPEN BETA WEEKENDS PRIOR TO RELEASE.

That game sold on marketing and open beta alone.

• XileoXileo Member Posts: 24
    My prediction is that ESO will not have an Open Beta and it will not have it's NDA lifted. Reason being is to increase sales at launch, as of right now there are a lot of negativity in regards to the game, if ESO has it's NDA lifted then the negativity would just spread among people not knowing anything about the game, additionally if it goes into Open Beta the same affects apply. That being said, Zenimax is a bit smart in the business aspects considering that if the large majority doesn't know the real details of actual in-game experience then they would have to purchase it to try it out first hand. 
    Originally posted by CrankBackX3
    My prediction is that ESO will not have an Open Beta and it will not have it's NDA lifted. Reason being is to increase sales at launch, as of right now there are a lot of negativity in regards to the game, if ESO has it's NDA lifted then the negativity would just spread among people not knowing anything about the game

So basically you're saying that the game sucks and they realize it sucks, so they want to dupe the consumer into buying something by the weight of its IP alone.

I can't say I disagree... at least not without giving details, so I have to agree.

• WolfClawsWolfClaws Member UncommonPosts: 638

You have too much time on your hands OP.

Game comes out in a couple of months.  You  can wait until launch, or you can try to get into the beta weekends.

Whining about it isn't going to make the time go any faster.  The game will be a hit or a failure on the PC.  Consoles, it will probably be a hit, since there wont be much in the way of games until December 2014.

• IlayaIlaya Member UncommonPosts: 661
    Originally posted by coventryhagdog

If this game sells 1 million (in preorders assuming there is no open beta), I will very much be surprised and saddened that there are still people who will throw their money at anything.

They will EASILY sell 1 Million through the IP itself. No Biggie for "The Elder Scrolls".

And what? NDA is a Protection which is just fine. I have no Problems at all with that. NDA is just a Problem for those which did not get a Beta Key/Invite cause they are don't know what's up with the Game and are angry about that. If they want to buy the Game but just not yet cause of the NDA, fine, then wait after Release and for the Reviews. Judge then and buy or not.

• Aldous.HuxleyAldous.Huxley Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 418
    Originally posted by WolfClaws

You have too much time on your hands OP.

Game comes out in a couple of months.  You  can wait until launch, or you can try to get into the beta weekends.

Whining about it isn't going to make the time go any faster.  The game will be a hit or a failure on the PC.  Consoles, it will probably be a hit, since there wont be much in the way of games until December 2014.

Elder Scrolls is the first game with an NDA in place.

• fs23otmfs23otm Member RarePosts: 506

People who complain about the NDA are people who would not buy the game anyway, and are just looking for more ways to spin negative nancy hype. 

Does the game have some issues, yes, but show me one game that didn't or doesn't still have issues at some point in its life cycle.

• MaelwyddMaelwydd Member Posts: 1,123
    Originally posted by Ilaya
     NDA is just a Problem for those which did not get a Beta Key/Invite cause they are don't know what's up with the Game and are angry about that. 

NDA is also a problem forthose that do have access to beta but are unable to tell others what is up with the game and want to alert others to their opinions as to why.

• nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735
    Originally posted by Aldous.Huxley

Elder Scrolls is the first game with an NDA in place.

I'm pretty sure you'd only convince the most inane, rabid fanboy on the planet that holding an NDA up 2 months before release is a 'good' thing.

When you don't consider time, context and don't have inside knowledge, then it's pretty easy to make vapid one-liners.

All games have an NDA in closed beta.

• LuposDavalteLuposDavalte Member UncommonPosts: 91

Have you considered those of us who have ascended to a higher plane of existence and entered beta might actually have some amazing things that we're just bursting at the seams to tell?  Think about it for a minute.  You're making assumptions based on trends that exist in an industry where precedents are constantly being set and games continue to fail regardless of whether they shift paradigms in marketing, hype and polish.

This game is going to make a lot of people very happy, but those of you who obsess over every minor detail will never be pleased until you have a matrix style VR plug inserted into your urethra, allowing you to escape this pitiful forum wailing.

Originally posted by LuposDavalte

Have you considered those of us who have ascended to a higher plane of existence and entered beta might actually have some amazing things that we're just bursting at the seams to tell?  Think about it for a minute.  You're making assumptions based on trends that exist in an industry where precedents are constantly being set

Actually, only one 'good' precedent has been set and we all know what it is..

it definitely wasn't SWToR.

• Eighteen16Eighteen16 Member UncommonPosts: 146
    While I don't expect much of ESO, I don't think the NDA matters much. Most people either already made up their mind about buying it or will wait until they can try it in beta. User opinions on a game before release are way too biased to base a decision around. It is also a given the majority of user reviews will be negative since people who don't like what they see are always the loudest, while those that like it don't want to bother arguing with them. 
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,982
    Originally posted by nerovipus32

[mod edit]

[mod edit]

Take a deep breath.

Game doesn't release for 2 months

No need to pre-order today.  You gain nothing by ordering early unless you worry that a physical copy will sell out.

Relax

Come back in April if the NDA is still up

PS:  Oh yeah they are adding 500,000 new testers (at a minimum) through Curse.  Why would they do that if they had a nefarious plan?

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• RhazmuzRhazmuz Member UncommonPosts: 208

This agenda of NDA = Bad game is just silly at this point, and is only being pushed  by a vocal minority on game sites such as this.

So sure, slack the game all you want, dont preorder. The rest of us who arent cynical conspiracy theorist (or worse) dont care and will enjoy the game at launch.

Peace, haters 

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    There used to be a time when we didn't know everything about a game before we got it. We enjoyed games a lot more back then.
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • AsariashaAsariasha Member UncommonPosts: 252
    Honestly. Who cares about the NDA still being active? You can't limit mouth-to-mouth communication. The only thing the NDA does is that it prevents the release of mediocre and biased video previews. I'm ok with that, especially when considering that the last beta leak was of low quality and literally tried to bash TESO.
  • DraneanDranean Member Posts: 77

I think for any consumer who isn't naive, they've just killed any chances of getting a preorder from them.

How little confidence do you have to have in your product that you're unwilling to let people advertise it and perhaps use them as free marketing less than two months before release? 

I mean look at Age of Conan: that game had little content, but the devs were smart enough to restrict the maximum level so you got the best experience possible. They GOT NEARLY 1 MILLION PREORDERS/SALES DUE TO IT and that IP WASN'T HALF AS BIG AS ES.

They are doing more harm to their game than they realize and I sincerely hope that the marketing people at ZO are fired.

Edit: purchasing, not purcashing.. damn it I can't edit it now... great

For some reason I have the feeling that you didn't receive a BETA invite and that you are angry about it. Another thing I notice is that you jump into defense mode quite fast while it’s not necessary...

Have fun in this weekend’s BETA, and as someone already mentioned.. I hope that you will be surprisingly amused

The community is what makes the game better, I don't feel that ESO in its current state would impact the ESO community in such a way what could cause a decrease in the amount of pre-orders.

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    Modern MMO players are so spoiled by the amount of information and even open betas prior to release. You know how many single player/console games I bought over the years with almost no information? Granted, those are becoming more open with information now than they used to be. But MMO players seem to be spoiled in this regard.

• WolfClawsWolfClaws Member UncommonPosts: 638

FYI, I am blocking the OP.  42 posts and he has been nothing but negative for the month he has been having an account with mmorpg (probably his second or third).  He is a cancer and is now on block. 

It is ok to have a discussion, but you are looking to get a rise out of everyone and develop conflict and drama.

• nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735
    You'd swear that NDA's were something new in software development the way people are going on.
  • collektcollekt Member UncommonPosts: 328
    Originally posted by nerovipus32
    You'd swear that NDA's were something new in software development the way people are going on.

Seriously.. yet another NDA qq thread. Maybe we should make 5 more of these just to make sure everyone knows that a few of you are upset about something that's pretty common place in the gaming market. Even your poll shows that most people don't care. Can we please quit making these threads now?

• DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982

This is most likely going to be a medieval swtor. Good for those that like it; bad for those that don't

• JyiigaJyiiga Member UncommonPosts: 1,187
    They are pretty much letting everyone in this beta phase. Past beta peeps and 500,000+ new keys. If you want to try it you can. The NDA is less of an issue now, cause everyone can have first hand experience if they wish.
This discussion has been closed.