Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Am i Buying into 1 or 2 games

2»

Comments

• blastermasterblastermaster Cap-aux-Meules, QCPosts: 149Member Uncommon

Thanks for the answers Jean-Luc!

BTW, sorry, did'nt want to put you under fire like that.. =/

I can understand your point of view (does'nt mean I totally agree with it but still..).

I guess I'm just not that stuck on the "must have it all" view of things.  Are my expectations lower than you? For this, maybe, if that's how you see things. To me the Imps are just a tiny bit better than the steed in what they offer (only because it's something that you will "use" for the entire time you play your character), making a CE actually interesting for once (for those who really wish to be imps), nothing more than that. 

Had they come with their own starting zone or quest lines, then I would have been on your side of the fence, but in this case, I can't justify it. Then again, I'm not that interested with Imps, so it may also cloud my judgment (or is it clouding the one of people who are?! mm..)

I guess the only thing I 100% agree with is about that NDA that is still not lifted for TESO... sounds like they are pulling an EA/Bioware here.. But I used to buy videogames by going at the store, looking at the boxes not knowing most of them and making a choice just by the pictures and the descriptions on the back of the box.. so I guess I don't mind paying for a game without knowing every little details about it. (Regardless,like for SWTOR back then, I had some hands on experience with the game, so I know what I'm getting into.)

As for EQNL, from what I see, it seems like it`s a different beast. It probably can't be compared to a typical MMO. It's not the same as others, it's a construction game with resources where you can claim actual pieces of land... I may not know all the details about it, but just by that, it seems that it has a lot more impact than in other mmos.  Early release in a standard level based MMO means that you can move out of the 1st zones before the influx of player, but does not mean much more than that, unless you are the type who lives on "server firsts". 

In EQNL, early access (and bonus items that grants you more resources, making you more efficient than others who have'nt actually bought it), seems to be giving a nice edge over the competition.  True that after a couple weeks, this edge can be lost, but it will probably always stay if you compare players who invest the same amount of time in it.  I may not know all the details (like for TESO, bunch of the reactions were based on speculations), so forgive me if I'm missing something.

I'm not against how things are handled for EQNL btw. (Like I think I already said, I'm still on the fence of if I will get a founder's pack or not.) If that's how they want to go about things, that is their right (as it is ZOS' right too).

If I'm not in agreement with the way a company does things, I just do my business elsewhere. Sure, people have the right to express their opinion about it, as long as it does not end up in a personal vendetta against the devs where one posts in all topics expressing is hate about X decision,etc. (not saying it's your case btw, just speaking generally based on what is happening on this site).

Anyways, I guess we can call this case closed and agree to not have the same point of view.  I just hope people come to understand that it's just a matter of perception and that both can be valid (else there would`nt be that clear a split in the "forum wars" since last week!). Something that seems right and obvious to someone, is not seen in the exact same light for someone else. Peoples have to learn and respect that a bit more really. So what if "you" think "they" are wrong.. if it's really the case, they will see it at some point, if not and you end up in the wrong, well, only fools never make mistakes I guess!  :)

• rodarinrodarin camarillo, CAPosts: 578Member Uncommon

LMAO the people that cant see the difference between EQNLM and ESO are exactly the type of people who will never ever get it. And exactly the type of people Zenimax wants as customers.

SOE and Smedly and  their issues aside.

If ESO were free to play or buy to play then no one would say anything. People that bought into this alpha either for 60 or 100 bucks know EXACTLY what they were getting, and now everyone else can know too.

Ask ESO people what theyre getting. At best theyre getting the name (and EQ is a name as well), and what little they have seen in a vigorously restricted beta. Ask anyone who hasnt seen the beta. They cant tell you anything you cant read for yourself. So any conclusions you might draw are based on very well controlled releases of information. 

There are more videos up of EQNLM of actual player made gameplay than ESO might ever have because they might never drop the NDA. But considering the time frame involved that is pretty amazing.

Now whether Smedly wanted to drop the NDA so soon is a definite No, but rather than pull a Zenimax and threaten to sue anyone breaking or allowing poeple to break a "useless' NDA he made a judgement call and just dropped it. At least for now. Did he do it because he is so 'benevolent' of course not. I dont like much of anything that guy has done, but in this instance he made a good decision. He is smart enough to know that what people see will outweigh the performance issues they also will see. Because he knows gamers with BRAINS understand the difference between a game that just game online and what people can expect performance wise and one that has been in development for a couple years, has less than 2 months until release should play like. I am sure once they get the new servers online and reduce the load it will be OK.

That one video I saw said 2499 people online. Including him that would be 2500 so is that a server 'cap'? if so then that would explain a lot. I doubt very highly that ESO has seen CLOSE to 2500 people in one area in any of their beta tests.But I am sure they will launch day.

I wont ever defend Sony trust me on that but the differences on so many levels here are not even in the same universe. I call em like I see em and on pure balance alone it isnt even close.

• IkedaIkeda Largo, FLPosts: 2,205Member Uncommon
    Question... someone builds on top of a mountain... has a beautiful panoramic view.  Can I decide to be an arse, and build a mountain/house up in front of his/her view?

SWTOR: F2P or Premium? Want Galactic Strongholds early? http://www.swtor.com/r/LbMdN7 Use the referral for 7 days of subscriber access. Unlock your GS today!

• ZinzanZinzan NorthPosts: 1,351Member
    Originally posted by Ikeda
    Question... someone builds on top of a mountain... has a beautiful panoramic view.  Can I decide to be an arse, and build a mountain/house up in front of his/her view?

Yes and no, there is an exclusion zone around all plots so you can't build there.....but if you manage to claim a plot in front of his then yes.

As they say, you can't buy a view :)

Expresso gave me a Hearthstone beta key.....I'm so happy :)

• RobokappRobokapp Dublin, OHPosts: 5,206Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Zinzan

Yes and no, there is an exclusion zone around all plots so you can't build there.....but if you manage to claim a plot in front of his then yes.

As they say, you can't buy a view :)

you can build the most turdalicious palace ever in the middle of the valley his main window gives towards...

• XasapisXasapis VolosPosts: 5,561Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Rusque
    Originally posted by Xasapis

This forum has gone completely backwards. People have been stating P2W is being able to pay for in-game advantage and how horrible it is and how it's bad for the industry.

Zenimax offers something that has no bearing on actual gameplay (just something people want) and people act like it's a slippery slope to ruin.

But EQL offers a headstart in a game in which you can make real life cash from and Captain Picard said, you're getting a pretty large advantage over others. This is literally what people have been upset about. Yet somehow, through some absolute lack of self awareness, this is okay whereas a non-advantage giving bonus is detrimental.

ESO was supposed to be a subscription based game and a refuge from the plethora of F2P offerings with varied levels of P2W and penny pinching. ESO and Wildstar were supposed to be an oasis of P2P and my expectations were reinforced by the developers own claims. Sadly when it came to realising those expectations they came short.

Am I wrong to believe that ESO is following in the exact same footsteps TSW did, only having a bigger IP (and thus a bigger initial crowd)? Is it unreasonable to expect history to repeat itself? So far, with other games, history invariably did.

• GrahorGrahor aaaPosts: 828Member

It's not history, it's common sense.

First you sell alpha access. Then you sell beta access. Preorders and collectors' editions, of course. Monthly fee for the first 6 months, no doubt. Paid DLC, if you can pull it off.

THEN you move to free-to-play, because everyone who wanted to give you money directly already did that; you don't have any interest in them; you need to monetize F2P people. 

That's how you make profit.

• KnyttaKnytta Corning, NYPosts: 349Member Uncommon

As others say, yes and no. The exclusion zones around peoples claims are actually quite large so it will never (at least not as the game stands now) be close. The time investment to build a big turd, even with just basic materials like stone will also be large. Is it doable, yes but most griefers will probably find other ways to hurt people.

At the moment there is a lot of activity around the Spires in the T1 zones as that for some reason is where "everyone" wants to be. Some people have built as close to the spires as they can and it was a annoying to have to run around their constructions to get to the spire. Also people has been building walls around the outside of other peoples claims (and the walls will erode in some time think its 30 mins) to prevent the owner to get into their claim. But in the outskirts of the higher tier zones it is very peaceful, me and my wife has adjacent claims on the outskirts of a T2 zone and we see the 5 - 6 other people that has claims there otherwise nothing.

Chi puo dir com'egli arde é in picciol fuoco.

He who can describe the flame does not burn.

Petrarch

• BuddyDudeBuddyDude Seattle, WAPosts: 47Member

lol you are paying money to play a free game

/logic

• RobokappRobokapp Dublin, OHPosts: 5,206Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by drwebs

lol you are paying money to play a free game

/logic

basically this.

I thought that's the point of a free to play...to play for free. If you're going to buy a game, why not buy a ...buy-to-play game instead?

What people spend or not spend their money on should not be your concern. But Landmark is fun and it is interesting to participate in something that feels new and different. The items you get for the money are good (and will probably be in the cash shop later).

Petrarch

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid hell, NJPosts: 6,787Member Uncommon

i dont like when mmos rely on whales to survive a little bit longer before dying, but i also dont like completely free leeches.

While i am looking forward to EQN there are 2 things that I strongly believe should happen:

1) a box price instead of paid alpha access so everyone puts some money down in order to play

or

2) paying for Landmark alpha access (both $60 or $100) also grants access to the full EQN release as well as Landmark

• KyllienKyllien Renton, WAPosts: 315Member
    Originally posted by rojo6934

i dont like when mmos rely on whales to survive a little bit longer before dying, but i also dont like completely free leeches.

While i am looking forward to EQN there are 2 things that I strongly believe should happen:

1) a box price instead of paid alpha access so everyone puts some money down in order to play

or

2) paying for Landmark alpha access (both $60 or $100) also grants access to the full EQN release as well as Landmark

Let's clear up a slight missunderstanding.  When you bought a Trailblazer pack you did so because of the package it included.  Some of the items in the package are items that will be useful for release as well as during the alpha/beta.  You also get early access to the Alpha.  If you think of the $100 as only granting early access to a playable game you are sorely mistaken. 

Everquest Next Landmark and Everquest Next are two different games.  Why would they need to include access to Everquest Next with the Landmark Founders Packs?   

• amber-ramber-r londonPosts: 323Member
    There is a pretty good chance that without people willing to give money to the developers like this the publisher would get itchy feet and either make them strip away features or launch the game before it's ready.

Playing first and getting a strong base in an mmo is a huge advantage, one worth the price they are asking for.

• aesperusaesperus Hamshire, NVPosts: 5,128Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Jean-Luc_Picard

Those who make fun of us who paid for alpha/beta access forget one thing, as I already said in numerous other threads.

We also get early access to the game, since everything we build, we can save as templates which we can use again in closed beta, open beta and after release, and which we will be able to sell to other players for real cash via player studio.

We basically have several months of advantage to get used to the game and prepare our templates for sale at release.

And of course, we get a few quite useful items too.

I think that's definitely worth the $60 I've paid so far, and the $100 it will become because I'm most likely going to upgrade my Explorer pack to a Trailblazer one.

Have they ever clarified whether the monetary gain by templates actually translates into direct money (can be withdrawn into your bank account), or whether it translates into station cash (equates to real money, but can't actually be converted)?

Just curious.

Originally posted by amber-r

Playing first and getting a strong base in an mmo is a huge advantage, one worth the price they are asking for.

Yes if it is a good game, if Landmark would have been a POS it would have been a disastrous move especially with no NDA,

Petrarch

Originally posted by aesperus

Have they ever clarified whether the monetary gain by templates actually translates into direct money (can be withdrawn into your bank account), or whether it translates into station cash (equates to real money, but can't actually be converted)?

Just curious.

You have to be a US resident (at this time but they say they are trying to change that) to sell in the templates and resources. As there will be some sort of quality check on templates (I assume) few will make any money on templates, most people will make money on sales of resources and items. But yes it will be real $ to your account.

Looking how the real money auction house worked in D3 I am personally not sure how this will work out in Landmark, I still think Landmark is a great game but well see about the template sales.

Petrarch

• ice-vortexice-vortex Xenia, OHPosts: 951Member
    Originally posted by Knytta

Just curious.

You have to be a US resident (at this time but they say they are trying to change that) to sell in the templates and resources. As there will be some sort of quality check on templates (I assume) few will make any money on templates, most people will make money on sales of resources and items. But yes it will be real $ to your account.

Looking how the real money auction house worked in D3 I am personally not sure how this will work out in Landmark, I still think Landmark is a great game but well see about the template sales.

Uh, you won't be selling resources and the only items that will be sold is the typical Player Studio designed items that don't have stats.

Originally posted by ice-vortex

Uh, you won't be selling resources and the only items that will be sold is the typical Player Studio designed items that don't have stats.

Well as I said few will make money on selling templates and that should not be your motivation for playing Landmark. If you can't sell resources for $ it will be sold for in game currency, the rare metal and gems will be VERY valuable when Landmark goes live, unless they change the chance to find them of course.

BUT No One should play Landmark and hope to make $ as few will be that skilled.

Petrarch

• SawlstoneSawlstone barrie, ONPosts: 301Member
    Originally posted by Knytta

Just curious.

So Canada is SOL in this? Would you mind posting where you read that please.

2»