Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Zenimax - it takes work to make a decision this bad

Comments

• lafaiellafaiel Member UncommonPosts: 93
    Originally posted by nerovipus32
    Originally posted by Soki123
    If you don't have the mists of pandaria expansion for wow you can't play the panda race. I don't see how that is any different.

Hmm, because it s available to all that buy the expansion, to , I don t know, PLAY THE NEW LANDS, AND CONTENT, like all expansions in every game since existence, not just the CE for the expansion. Can t see how you can t see the difference.

It's all money and doesn't really make a difference, you still have to pay.

But you only have to pay the same amount as the next guy, not extra to get something that they excluded and charged you more for.

• Cellarkid88Cellarkid88 Member UncommonPosts: 56
    If you don't have the mists of pandaria expansion for wow you can't play the panda race. I don't see how that is any different.

Hmm, because it s available to all that buy the expansion, to , I don t know, PLAY THE NEW LANDS, AND CONTENT, like all expansions in every game since existence, not just the CE for the expansion. Can t see how you can t see the difference.

i chocked a little......

Winning a discussion is not what it's about. If you could pass insight to someone or learn something from it in return - noone can really loose, can they?

• VonatarVonatar Member UncommonPosts: 723
    Originally posted by ImperialSun

I'm struggling to see how people did not see this type of announcement coming.....

It is clearly an acid test exercise......

Gate a core race behind an additional CE purchase in order to both maximise launch revenue and also assess community reaction.

This is basically just the first layer of framework before the game goes F2P with full on cash shop six months after launch.

Zeni are just dipping their toe in the water here in order to see what sorts of content they can get away with charging for when the game does move to a full F2P model shortly after release....

Welcome to the new world.....

Driz

I completely agree with this. It s truly a test, and a money grab.

It's simply outrageous that a company some $200m in the hole with investors to fund creation of a product, want to do something so dastardly as grab money when selling the product!

• GeridenGeriden Member UncommonPosts: 390

im just lost for words...

. . . . . .. . . . . . . . . . . ,.-‘”. . . . . . . . . .``~.,
    . . . . . . . .. . . . . .,.-”. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .“-.,
    . . . . .. . . . . . ..,/. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ”:,
    . . . . . . . .. .,?. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .,
    . . . . . . . . . /. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,}
    . . . . . . . . ./. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:`^`.}
    . . . . . . . ./. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:”. . . ./
    . . . . . . .?. . . __. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . :`. . . ./
    . . . . . . . /__.(. . .“~-,_. . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:`. . . .. ./
    . . . . . . /(_. . ”~,_. . . ..“~,_. . . . . . . . . .,:`. . . . _/
    . . . .. .{.._$;_. . .”=,_. . . .“-,_. . . ,.-~-,}, .~”; /. .. .}
    . . .. . .((. . .*~_. . . .”=-._. . .“;,,./`. . /” . . . ./. .. ../
    . . . .. . .`~,. . ..“~.,. . . . . . . . . ..`. . .}. . . . . . ../
    . . . . . .(. ..`=-,,. . . .`. . . . . . . . . . . ..(. . . ;_,,-”
    . . . . . ../.`~,. . ..`-.. . . . . . . . . . . . . . ... . /
    . . . . . . `~.*-,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ..|,./.....,__
    ,,_. . . . . }.>-._. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .|. . . . . . ..`=~-,
    . .. `=~-,__. . . `,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
    . . . . . . . . . .`=~-,,.,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . `:,, . . . . . . . . . . . . . `. . . . . . ..__
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .`=-,. . . . . . . . . .,%`>--==``
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . _. . . . . ._,-%. . . ..`

• nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735
    Originally posted by lafaiel

But you only have to pay the same amount as the next guy, not extra to get something that they excluded and charged you more for.

How do you know that the imperial race will be completely excluded if you don't buy the CE edition? I bet there will be a way in game to unlock the race through gameplay. To be honest i don't really care, there are far more interesting races in the game than humans.

• Soki123Soki123 Member RarePosts: 2,558
    Originally posted by Vonatar

I'm struggling to see how people did not see this type of announcement coming.....

Gate a core race behind an additional CE purchase in order to both maximise launch revenue and also assess community reaction.

This is basically just the first layer of framework before the game goes F2P with full on cash shop six months after launch.

Zeni are just dipping their toe in the water here in order to see what sorts of content they can get away with charging for when the game does move to a full F2P model shortly after release....

Driz

It's simply outrageous that a company some $200m in the hole with investors to fund creation of a product, want to do something so dastardly as grab money when selling the product!

I think you re definition of a money grab and mine are different.

Driz

throwing money at a project != good product that is worth paying for

if you buy everything just because it had a big production-price-tag on it you need to review yourself as a consumer. I mean common guys we need to educate our children someday about the value and worth of money.

Future generations will be impacted if stuff like this is accepted.

Winning a discussion is not what it's about. If you could pass insight to someone or learn something from it in return - noone can really loose, can they?

• nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735
    Originally posted by Cellarkid88

Driz

if you buy everything just because it had a big production-price-tag on it you need to review yourself as a consumer. I mean common guys we need to educate our children someday about the value and worth of money.

The game is good so it's value for money in my opinion.

• VonatarVonatar Member UncommonPosts: 723

Driz

Whether it's worth paying for is an entirely subjective matter. Furthermore, who says you have to buy it? It's like saying you -must- go eat in an overpriced restaurant where the food sucks. Solution? Don't.

• ImperialSunImperialSun Member Posts: 212

Driz

I know right :) Company tries to maximise it's profits....more news at 11!!

Seriously though, I do not think it's a bad decision or move on the part of Zeni, I couldn't care less either way. The payment gate is so small if I want to go the whole hog and have access to the Imperial race I will pay the extra for the CE.

If the CE was like twice the price of the standard version then I would not buy it and would simply wait for the Imperial race to be made available via the cash shop in a few months time.

IMO ESO has been in the design/development for sooooo long now that it will almost certainly go the same way as SWTOR.

Both games were conceived/designed around the traditional sub model but were in development for such a long time that by the time they approached release state, the entire gaming landscape had changed forever.....cash shops and nickel n dime models were the norm and proving to be massively profitable.

Thats one of the reasons SWTOR made such an akward and seemingly quick shift to a hybrid/F2P model....despite it being designed around a traditional sub model, because by the time it was released, hybrid/F2P models WERE now the norm....

Expect an identical sequence of events with ESO IMO....I do count myself as a sub gamer/traditionalist but I can also recognise that my favourite model is no longer the industry norm or the most profitable available to publishers....

Driz

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910

You guys need to lighten up if you keep up this histrionics you will only nurture hate for your favourite past time. It's not good to grow to dislike the things we find fun in life. Life becomes boring so just learn to accept the things you cannot change this is the wave of the future. Accept or prepare to give up your hobbies. No point railing at this it will only get worse from here on.

Driz

Whether it's worth paying for is an entirely subjective matter. Furthermore, who says you have to buy it? It's like saying you -must- go eat in an overpriced restaurant where the food sucks. Solution? Don't.

I agree we ultimaticaly decide with our wallet. No objection there. What should be aware of is the trend that has been progressed over the past years and this certain case is where the money grab hits the ceiling.

Sometime you just dont have to decide silently with your wallet.

Sometimes you have to voice your concern, make it public and criticise.

• SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698

For some reason beyond me there still seems to be misinformation being spread so I'll try to explain.

1. All preorders will receive the benefit of playing any race any faction. This is the explorers pack. People who do not preorder can after launch upgrade their account to receive the explorers pack ( according to CSRs ).

2. The Imperial addition allows players to play as an Imperial with unique racial abilities ( all races have unique racial abilities ) , use the imperial crafting style , early access to a horse , a cosmetic to change the look of any armor to look of imperial make , a vanity pet and rings of mara for increased experience gain while you are playing with the person that has the other ( it doesnt work otherwise ).

There has been reports of CSRs hinting that the Imperial race can be unlocked in game. If that is the case then the CE is just early access. This would fit their concept of them being exiles. Not confirmed.

3. There will be no in game cash shop. You cannot click a button on the UI and buy exp potions , mana potions , health potions , mounts , gear..etc. However on the webpage under your account you can upgrade your account status.

4. There is no advantage to playing as an Imperial. 

• BossalinieBossalinie Member UncommonPosts: 724

I agree we ultimaticaly decide with our wallet. No objection there. What should be aware of is the trend that has been progressed over the past years and this certain case is where the money grab hits the ceiling.

Sometime you just dont have to decide silently with your pocket.

Sometimes you have to voice your concern, make it public and criticise.

In the business world, as cliche as is it, money has a booming voice. Better make sure your public criticism can stand out.

• rodarinrodarin Member EpicPosts: 2,611
    Originally posted by SlyLoK

For some reason beyond me there still seems to be misinformation being spread so I'll try to explain.

1. All preorders will receive the benefit of playing any race any faction. This is the explorers pack. People who do not preorder can after launch upgrade their account to receive the explorers pack ( according to CSRs ).

2. The Imperial addition allows players to play as an Imperial with unique racial abilities ( all races have unique racial abilities ) , use the imperial crafting style , early access to a horse , a cosmetic to change the look of any armor to look of imperial make , a vanity pet and rings of mara for increased experience gain while you are playing with the person that has the other ( it doesnt work otherwise ).

There has been reports of CSRs hinting that the Imperial race can be unlocked in game. If that is the case then the CE is just early access. This would fit their concept of them being exiles. Not confirmed.

3. There will be no in game cash shop. You cannot click a button on the UI and buy exp potions , mana potions , health potions , mounts , gear..etc. However on the webpage under your account you can upgrade your account status.

4. There is no advantage to playing as an Imperial. 

LMAO the IRONY.

For a post thats first claim is to explain the misinformation youre first one is completely WRONG.

UPGRADING doesnt do anything. (at least in regards to faction unlocking).You get the explorers pack for EITHER pre order. If you DO NOT pre order you do not get the explorers pack, if you DO NOT get the explorers pack you DO NOT get faction unlock. Whether you can buy it later or unlock it later can be debated but no one knows if or when that is available.

The faction unlock is solely gated behind a person pre ordering NO pre order no faction unlock. The only reason it is confusing is because Zenimax made it that way and I think they did it on purpose. Because they made the Explorer pack separate. Assumption is so they could sell it or a facsimile of it later in the cash shop So they wanted to keep it separate from the pre order packages themselves. But BECAUSE it is a definite wall they are trying to make sure people think it is exclusive so it will 'force' players who want the faction unlock to at least pre order something.

As for number 3, that is semantics. You can bet you life that there will be a button to press to open a browser that will take you to whatever type of store they do have. Which already exists. Just because it isnt stocked yet doesnt mean it wont or wont be.

There is a store (the web link is everywhere) whether it is the type most people are aquainted with really doesnt matter. It does exist. As long as it allows you to buy things that will apply a code to enable in game items is all that matters and that technology and offering already does exist. But we do not know what is NOT going to be in it because quite frankly I dont believe anything these guys say. They say a lot of things but then not too far down the road they change their minds or find a way to do it. Or in my opinion have it all along and just decide to release it to help them in the best way possible either financially or in the court of public opinion.

So you got one out of three right in your 'explanations' and even then we dont know what skills Imperials have and there could be a definite advantage to them in PvP  which may also depend on what race they are. Because synergies with racial passives and class skills is going to be something that gets a lot of attention in this game. Because there are already definite advantages on what race and what class is better than another race with the same class. Until the ND is lifted people cant get very specific about it but when theycan there will be plenty of talk about it.

• ThornrageThornrage Member UncommonPosts: 659

I've seen a lot of whining and complaining on these forums, but this one has got to be one of the worst.

My first MMO, SWG, offered a special item for the Collector's Edition. That item was a pair of goggles. Only CE players got them and if I remember correctly, they could not be traded. I might be wrong on that one. Sure they were just goggles but SWG was a game that many people prided themselves on what they owned mainly due to being able to display such items in their houses.

Later I got City of Heroes and was able to get a cool sliding effect for the CE. Many asked me where I got it and wished they had it.

LoTRo gave me some in-game tokens for the CE, Age of Conan gave me a cape and a ring, DC Universe gave me the bat drone,  WoW: Burning Crusade CE gave me an in-game pet, SWTOR: CE gave me several in game items.

So why is it any different this time?

Oh look, I get to play as Imperial! It is not a new RACE, it is merely a skin of the human race. Zenimax has stated that the racial abilities are on equal standing with all races. I would love to be able to join any faction with any race, and this allows that, however, does it really change that game all that much if you have to play certain races for certain factions? In WoW, I liked playing on the Horde side but hated all of the races. I prefer to play human in all MMO's and was able to play Blood Elf as a compromise. Did that mean I hated playing the game? No.

Simple thing is that if you are not happy with what Zenimax has done, then it is your choice what you do about it. I will play the game and if I find that it is not fun, then I will move on. I have spent more money on lesser things.

I will enjoy the extra perks I get for pre-ordering the CE and have no regrets.

"I don't give a sh*t what other people say. I play what I like and I'll pay to do it too!" - SerialMMOist

Originally posted by Thornrage

I've seen a lot of whining and complaining on these forums, but this one has got to be one of the worst.

My first MMO, SWG, offered a special item for the Collector's Edition. That item was a pair of goggles. Only CE players got them and if I remember correctly, they could not be traded. I might be wrong on that one. Sure they were just goggles but SWG was a game that many people prided themselves on what they owned mainly due to being able to display such items in their houses.

Later I got City of Heroes and was able to get a cool sliding effect for the CE. Many asked me where I got it and wished they had it.

LoTRo gave me some in-game tokens for the CE, Age of Conan gave me a cape and a ring, DC Universe gave me the bat drone,  WoW: Burning Crusade CE gave me an in-game pet, SWTOR: CE gave me several in game items.

Oh look, I get to play as Imperial! It is not a new RACE, it is merely a skin of the human race. Zenimax has stated that the racial abilities are on equal standing with all races. I would love to be able to join any faction with any race, and this allows that, however, does it really change that game all that much if you have to play certain races for certain factions? In WoW, I liked playing on the Horde side but hated all of the races. I prefer to play human in all MMO's and was able to play Blood Elf as a compromise. Did that mean I hated playing the game? No.

Simple thing is that if you are not happy with what Zenimax has done, then it is your choice what you do about it. I will play the game and if I find that it is not fun, then I will move on. I have spent more money on lesser things.

The fact that you dont know the difference between an in game RACE and all that other stuff you listed is sad, especially considering the number of games you have played.

But thats why Zenimax did it. There are plenty of peopel who apparently cant make the distinction and will gladly pay a sub fee for a game that does this.

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910

Do the races have racial traits bonus or deficiencies like playing a human in Everquest meant night blindness or an elf made your strength puny or if you were an ogre or dark elf you were killed on sight or are they just skins ?

You aren t getting it are you. If the Mists of Pandaria expansion came out, and you couldn t play a panda unless you paid for a CE then you have a point. Otherwise theres no connection at all.

This is NOT the same. You cannot play Mist of Pandaria if you do not get the expansion. However, you can still play ESO if you do not get the CE. The only difference is, you get to play as an Imperial. Nothing else changes. The game remains the same.

"I don't give a sh*t what other people say. I play what I like and I'll pay to do it too!" - SerialMMOist

Originally posted by rodarin

The fact that you dont know the difference between an in game RACE and all that other stuff you listed is sad, especially considering the number of games you have played.

The fact that you can't understand that the game doesnt change at all because of the CE is sad. What extra do you get for being an Imperial? What new content in the game do you get for being an Imperial? Nothing changes except that you can be a human that is Imperial. Not an new RACE. If I did not get the CE and you did, I would still be able to play the very same game you are playing. The difference would be that you get to be Imperial with a horse and other stuff. Just like it is with other CEs for other games.

• RuienRuien Member Posts: 39

I don't buy collectors editions of games... ever. Some mount or pet just doesn't do it for me.

I did buy this collectors edition and i thank you Zenimax for giving me a reason to do so.

Forgive all of these self entitled people who have been raised on welfare attitudes  who think they have a say in how you developed a game. They have 2 choices. Buy or don't buy. Otherwise they should shut up.

Originally posted by Ruien

They have 2 choices. Buy or don't buy. Otherwise they should shut up.

I disagree. I think they have a right to complain if they feel it is necessary. Otherwise, these forums would need to be shut down.

Only in this situation, I don't think there is much to complain about.

The fact that you can't understand that the game doesnt change at all because of the CE is sad. What extra do you get for being an Imperial? What new content in the game do you get for being an Imperial? Nothing changes except that you can be a human that is Imperial. Not an new RACE. If I did not get the CE and you did, I would still be able to play the very same game you are playing. The difference would be that you get to be Imperial with a horse and other stuff. Just like it is with other CEs for other games.

Again youre mistaken. Imperial is a RACE in this game. You get special passive for it. Can people play Imperial Sorcerors? Not explained fully But I suspect that an Imperial will be able to play any of the four core classes.

Also whether the Imperial RACE is humaniod or not isnt know either. Can you make a Nord Imperial? or  Khajiit Imperial? Not know one could assume not since Imperial is a race not a class.

But the fact tht it is so confusing and seemingly thrown in last minute is why they shouldnt have done it in the first place. At least without an in depth explanation.

But rest assured once the game launches they will worry about how they 'fix' that stuff and whatever choce they make will rest solely on what side they think will make them more money.

• RuienRuien Member Posts: 39
    Originally posted by Ruien

They have 2 choices. Buy or don't buy. Otherwise they should shut up.

I disagree. I think they have a right to complain if they feel it is necessary. Otherwise, these forums would need to be shut down.

Only in this situation, I don't think there is much to complain about.

And these forums being shut down or become something better than the stinking pile of vomit everyone spews?

What gives anyone a right to tell anyone else how to spend their money. As a consumer, and thats what we all are, the ONLY right we have is to buy or dont buy. Once we have bought, then we pick up a few more rights.

Most people on this sight think that if they dont buy, no one should buy. They also have this inflated sense of self to think that if they dont buy, the game will fail.

I dont know why I come to this site other than after reading some of its forums I get to thinking, the new World order "might" not be such a bad idea.

• ChromeBallzChromeBallz Member UncommonPosts: 342

Originally posted by Margulis
    I've defended the game here and I stick by my opinions that the GAME itself is a lot better than what it is made out to be.  But this decision with the CE and pre-orders has seriously got to be one of the WORST ideas I have ever seen a company make. 

The big issue:  This isn't a F2P game!  If it was you could get away with charging extra for an entire race, but you are asking for box sale, plus sub (P2P game) and STILL pay locking content.  And this isn't just some dumb costume or mount, it is an ENTIRE RACE.  And this is after you said you wouldn't do this sort of thing!

Zenimax, you are already battling a negative public eye, with articles coming out about predicted failures, most likely to flop, hate all over the internet, etc etc.  And this was JUST starting to turn around some after the last beta.  There was a new positive spin from a lot of people.  Obviously not all, but quite a few.  Now you go and do this - what is going on with your heads?!  Is it really worth a few extra CE purchases from people who really want to be an Imperial to incur the MASSIVE backlash and hate this decision is provoking, and subsequent lost sales?  This decision isn't just going to go away, for the entirety of the game's life people will talk about it, see Imperials running around and ask "I want to be an Imperial how do I get to be that?"  "Oh you can't unless you got the CE when it launched."

You have 2 months to fix this Zenimax, make it available to everyone.  Because you are doing WAYYYYYY more harm to yourself financially as it stands with the public backlash and hate than the small boost you would get from a few extra CE sales.

You have never seen or heard of any collector's edition before at all i take it?

Playing: WF
    Played: WoW, GW2, L2, WAR, AoC, DnL (2005), GW, LotRO, EQ2, TOR, CoH (RIP), STO, TSW, TERA, EVE, ESO, BDO
    Tried: EQ, UO, AO, EnB, TCoS, Fury, Ryzom, EU, DDO, TR, RF, CO, Aion, VG, DN, Vindictus, AA