Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I like the parkour type movements but in some cases its way too over done and makes it look silly

ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361

More specifically its the constant flips and especially the side-way flips lol wtf.  Cant he just jump normally?  I been watching the alpha vids for Landmark and I hope it doesnt stay like this in EQN.

I like the sliding on slopes and vaulting over objects because those look natural as I myself would do in the same situations like going over a small fence or something.  But the constant flips like hes a olympic gymnast just for a simple jump looks dumb to me.

I wouldnt mind the flips and stuff if its only done moderately for certain situations like fighting enemies and such.  Them side way flips though lol. I know im not the only one who feels this way.

EDIT: A good example of parkour in a game would be I guess Assassins Creed and Batman Arkham Series because everything they do is natural for the obstacle they face and not just do it for the sake of doing it like doing a back flip for no reason.

Comments

• superconductingsuperconducting Member UncommonPosts: 871
    The jumps and flips may be a little overdone but I think it's fine. I think it looks cool.

• FinalFikusFinalFikus Member Posts: 906

Hard to tell how silly it will look with no combat .

Compared to the jump in 99% of mmorpgs..it's pretty neat. The potential is there for now at least.

"If the Damned gave you a roadmap, then you'd know just where to go"

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    maybe it will make bunnyhop pvp look more realistic image
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,610
    IMO, the standard jump does not feel heroish. Mosy MMO stories has you the hero saving the world but... I... can't... just... over this potted plant thats comes up to my KNEES!!!! Why am I doing the running man trying to jump over this little rock? I think its time we got some epic movement to feel like the hero's the story keeps telling us we are. Please dont change it.
  • JupstoJupsto Member UncommonPosts: 2,075
    I agree sliding looks good but flips are silly and ugly

My blog: image

• ArakaziArakazi Member UncommonPosts: 911
    Originally posted by Nanfoodle
    IMO, the standard jump does not feel heroish. Mosy MMO stories has you the hero saving the world but... I... can't... just... over this potted plant thats comes up to my KNEES!!!! Why am I doing the running man trying to jump over this little rock? I think its time we got some epic movement to feel like the hero's the story keeps telling us we are. Please dont change it.

hmmmm trying to figure out how heroes jump..... how would chuck do it...?

• RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785
    Originally posted by Arakazi
    Originally posted by Nanfoodle

hmmmm trying to figure out how heroes jump..... how would chuck do it...?

Easy, Chuck Norris doesn't jump . . . the earth bounces itself away from him in whatever direction he wants to go. Hence, tectonic shifts and changes in weather pattern.

• sanshi44sanshi44 Member UncommonPosts: 1,187
    The flips dont happen very often for me when im jumping round every now and then though and it doesnt bother me at all.
  • AmarantharAmaranthar Member EpicPosts: 5,785
    I hope they tie them into skills. So you get some of the flips if you develop agility/ninja skills. I'd hate to see a "tank" type doing cartwheels, you know what I mean?

Once upon a time....

• Elevenb4Elevenb4 Member UncommonPosts: 362

I dont' mean to insult your intelligence but it is alpha. At fist the Parkour thing hardly worked, then it started working a little better, then new animations to Parkour were added, then it was working even when you weren't jumping over stuff, etc. 

See where I'm going? I was very skeptical about it when I first started playing. But then as I saw that it was being worked on, I stopped caring about it for the moment. Have faith, I think it will be really good once the game releases. 

-Unconstitutional laws aren't laws.-

• HellidolHellidol Member UncommonPosts: 476

So if you get the trailblazer pack does that give you access to from land mark to EQN, this is all so confusing. I want to invest in the correct thing.

Sorry I know its off subject, I want to invest in the game but I am getting mix responses from people and un clear answers from what I am reading.  I could start up a thread but that would just be a waste for such a should be simple answer.

• BraindomeBraindome Member UncommonPosts: 959

I can think of many things I would rather the development team work on, especially considering that this is almost unnoticeable "which is best" and in the scheme of things is just used to get from point A to point B and isn't designed to play or performing like the games you mentioned.

The grappling hook does a fine job filling in the gaps and soon they will add double jump "already confirmed". You say it is overdone yet you say it isn't as intricate as other games, so you want it to be more MMORPG like but you want the jumping to be more like an action game which leads into combat which will make it even more "silly".

It's a compromise. MMORPG players want it to have a more classic feel, action gamers want it to have a more action feel, you seem to want both. I personally don't want to be jump kicking enemies like i'm playing Batman Arkham I would prefer a more grounded playstyle that feels more like Everquest.

• MightykingMightyking Member UncommonPosts: 235
    Originally posted by Hellidol

So if you get the trailblazer pack does that give you access to from land mark to EQN, this is all so confusing. I want to invest in the correct thing.

Sorry I know its off subject, I want to invest in the game but I am getting mix responses from people and un clear answers from what I am reading.  I could start up a thread but that would just be a waste for such a should be simple answer.

Everquest Next and Everquest Next Landmark are two games, with two target audiences. Buying a founder pack for Landmark gives you nothing for Everquest Next. The only thing as of now that will transpose from playing Landmark is the adventure class. Everyone who ever played landmark will have the adventure class available once Everquest Next launches.

But no stats, money, items, achievements, will.

• KarbleKarble Member UncommonPosts: 750

How great would it be if they toned down some of these movements for adventure class, but amped up the abilities a large amount for other classes.

Nature Ninja ;;; Basically uses dramatic leaps kicking into the ground causing minor earth quakes, breaking bridges and other land areas with ease.  Swirling in a circle so fast it causes whirl winds to push mobs away and even sweep them off their feet. 

Spinning heel kick flying through the air similar to a street fighter character hitting all it it's path.   cartwheel of fire....basically doing cartwheels repeatedly in whatever direction and a fire wall is left in it's wake.

These could be fun new tactics made possible for overly dramatic acrobatic moves given to class types within the game.

• azarhalazarhal Member RarePosts: 1,402
    Originally posted by Karble

How great would it be if they toned down some of these movements for adventure class, but amped up the abilities a large amount for other classes.

Nature Ninja ;;; Basically uses dramatic leaps kicking into the ground causing minor earth quakes, breaking bridges and other land areas with ease.  Swirling in a circle so fast it causes whirl winds to push mobs away and even sweep them off their feet. 

Spinning heel kick flying through the air similar to a street fighter character hitting all it it's path.   cartwheel of fire....basically doing cartwheels repeatedly in whatever direction and a fire wall is left in it's wake.

These could be fun new tactics made possible for overly dramatic acrobatic moves given to class types within the game.

That is what they are doing, somewhat.

Each of the 40 classes will have their own movement style in combat when using abilities. Even their idle stance is unique. You can a see a tiny preview of the idle stance for all 40 of them in the SOE Live class panel of last year. The idea is to be able to recognize a class by how it moves and not what it is using/wearing.

• sanshi44sanshi44 Member UncommonPosts: 1,187

the way you holding the arrow keys when you jump determine how ur gonna jump mostly, (direction your moving) going straight will result in a normal jump, backward roll/flip style jump and forward and a side key will be the sideway tumble flip or so. Grappling hook sometime seems to play a roll on the jump to for example if u grapple somthing and u time u jump so you bounce of a rock and get some air ull often do a flip aswell.

On the topic i find the acrobatic handle realy well they smooth and feels right, i acualy prefer them over most other games jumps which are usualy quite clunky or strange especialy when jumping from uneven terrain.