Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So how big is it???

adderVXIadderVXI Member UncommonPosts: 727
What kind of world size are we talking here?  Lots of speculation its big but what does that compare to?

Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master.

George Washington

Comments

• keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191

I found this at the official forums. Does this help?

1.0. The Environments & Setting

Tamriel will be scaled like the previous games, but will be a bit larger than each. All of the major buildings and structures as they appear in previous games will also be there and [presumably] visitable. Windhelm will look the same, as will the Palace of Kings located within, and they will have the same feel.

• Not all of the world will be available at launch, though through expansions and patches more will be added in time. A Day/Night cycle, as well as a weather system are present.
    • The Day/Night Cycle lasts for 5 hours RL time and is equal to 24 hours game time.
    • At level 10, the character's storyline takes off and at that level they are able to engage in PvP.
    • Environments are huge, each zone is made for 20-40 hours of gameplay and all zones include at least 1 four player dungeon.
    • Each faction's content has ~150 hours of content.
    • There are 22 zones currently, which means without extras there is almost 440 hours of gameplay, and potentially twice that accounting for miscellaneous quests in the game.
    • The game environments and rendering has been created so hundreds of players may be seen at a time, even on lower-end systems

There Is Always Hope!

• GanksinatraGanksinatra Member UncommonPosts: 455
    I gotta say.....this game wasn't even really on my radar. I had bought Skyrim for the PS3 and never played it. I really dislike the first person thing on consoles and never got around to buying for PC. I watched the Dev Panel group play video the other night......and I kinda wanna play this now. I'm not sure how stoked I'm gonna be about only having like 5 skills at a time, but otherwise it looks like it could be rather fun.
  • Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by keithian

Tamriel will be scaled like the previous games, but will be a bit larger than each. All of the major buildings and structures as they appear in previous games will also be there and [presumably] visitable. Windhelm will look the same, as will the Palace of Kings located within, and they will have the same feel.

• Not all of the world will be available at launch, though through expansions and patches more will be added in time. A Day/Night cycle, as well as a weather system are present.
    • The Day/Night Cycle lasts for 5 hours RL time and is equal to 24 hours game time.
    • At level 10, the character's storyline takes off and at that level they are able to engage in PvP.
    • Environments are huge, each zone is made for 20-40 hours of gameplay and all zones include at least 1 four player dungeon.
    • There are 22 zones currently, which means without extras there is almost 440 hours of gameplay, and potentially twice that accounting for miscellaneous quests in the game.
    • The game environments and rendering has been created so hundreds of players may be seen at a time, even on lower-end systems

Some zones are huge... Really huge

and in every zones there are huge ammounts of underground structures like caves, tombs, dungeons aimed at single players or small groups that just wayt to be discovered...

whats best.... Most of the content is available ans aimed at max level... About 80% if you add the Pvp to the max level stuff

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• jesadjesad Member UncommonPosts: 882
    Originally posted by adderVXI
    What kind of world size are we talking here?  Lots of speculation its big but what does that compare to?

That's what she said.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Four player dungeon, so apparently then those are instanced and not open world.

Also means game is designed around four player groups, a design I felt was poor when I played SWTOR, perhaps it will turn out better this time around.

It's my fault, I keep forgetting that despite claims to a DAOC heritage this title is more akin to GW2 I suspect.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Kevyne-ShandrisKevyne-Shandris Member UncommonPosts: 2,077

It's small compared to WoW, though.

By the time WotLK was over I logged in over 180 days of actual play time (and I started late and took a 3 month break to play EvE).

Days, not hours played of content.

440hrs is what you'd expect out of Skyrim with some mods, not in a MMO.

• ReymasReymas Member Posts: 23
    Originally posted by Kevyne-Shandris

By the time WotLK was over I logged in over 180 days of actual play time (and I started late and took a 3 month break to play EvE).

You can get to level 90 in WoW in 96 hours, and that's not even fast.

It's probably about the same size as Vanilla WoW, it's just divided into 4 sections, and the content takes a lot longer to get through.  Levelling is WAY slower than WoW.

• eldariseldaris Member UncommonPosts: 353

Originally posted by Reymas

It's probably about the same size as Vanilla WoW, it's just divided into 4 sections, and the content takes a lot longer to get through.  Levelling is WAY slower than WoW.

Way slower than today wow, maybe - we need to wait for launch to see how fast you get max levels.
    Slower than original WoW, I doubt it - probably some people levelled faster than me, especially on more dps oriented classes but when I got to 60 I had more than 30 days of playtime on my druid and there were only a few other druids at max level.

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Originally posted by Ganksinatra
    I gotta say.....this game wasn't even really on my radar. I had bought Skyrim for the PS3 and never played it. I really dislike the first person thing on consoles and never got around to buying for PC. I watched the Dev Panel group play video the other night......and I kinda wanna play this now. I'm not sure how stoked I'm gonna be about only having like 5 skills at a time, but otherwise it looks like it could be rather fun.

So what does this have to do with the topic?

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• MpfiveMpfive Member UncommonPosts: 308

WoW has had nearly ten years to be what it is now. ESO at launch will be massive:)

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Originally posted by Mpfive

WoW has had nearly ten years to be what it is now. ESO at launch will be massive:)

I agree with you, but WoW is pretty huge. If Blizzard hadn't added flying mounts the game would seem massive. 

Land mass to me isn't to huge of a deal, what I want to see is hidden areas, explorable dungeons, etc. Folks beat on GW2 but one of it's shining features is just that. 

I can't wait to see this game in it's entirety. The topic title caught my attention because I have been wondering about this myself!

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• GwapoJoshGwapoJosh Member UncommonPosts: 1,030
    Originally posted by jesad

That's what she said.

Damn it!!! You beat me to it..

"You are all going to poop yourselves." BillMurphy

"Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone."

• rodarinrodarin Member EpicPosts: 2,611

For people expecting an ES size world theyre going ot be disappointed.

Not sure how much of it is still under NDA so have to be careful.

We havent seen all the world. But by going what we do know and extrapolating that out its isnt huge. Cyrodiil has been described as between 50-60% of the whole world (right now) so therefore that SINGLE maps is at least (if not more) than the other 15 'major' zones and 5 or 6 'starter' maps combined. Now if you havent been in Beta or havent seen leaked videos that doesnt give a great point of reference. But seriously just another reason why the NDA should be lifted because you cant really talk about ANYTHING In this game.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Plenty BIG... saying anything else would be an NDA violation.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• PyatraPyatra Member Posts: 644
    Originally posted by GwapoJosh
    Originally posted by jesad

That's what she said.

Damn it!!! You beat me to it..

I actually do work at work and this is what I miss out on gah!

Also it is massive, like silly massive, full o'stuff.

Edit: Because I know someone is going to try to beat me to it. Addressed to no one: Your  mom's massive and full of stuff.  There I said it first ha!

• IGaveUpIGaveUp Member Posts: 273

From info I read a while back, I'd guess it at about 60 km2 or 23 mi2.  That was a long time ago, so it might not be reliable.

• Matticus75Matticus75 Member UncommonPosts: 396
    Originally posted by PsychoticHamster
    The world itself will launch with most of each province filled out. ZOS intentionally left some areas of them empty so they could add them later in updates or expansions. That being said, the launch size is quite big, I would guess that 60%-70% of Tamriel is available to play. What I want to know is whether most of not all of Tamriel is seamless, because the size of the world will be severely downplayed if you have to go to a loading screen between each zone. Above all Tamreil needs to feel like a world and not a connection of lobbies.

Exactly, no reason is cant be seemless; if it  is loading screens for each zone, that will be totally stupid; if it is then I cant wait to hear people try to justify it. (its expensive to make the game seemless, or the tech to do it is impossible) yeah right

• free2playfree2play Member UncommonPosts: 2,043
    Kind of wondering this too. Right now for real estate volume, LotRO has top marks. Running from one end to the other, visiting each landmark in LotRO from scratch would take 3 months real time and that assumed mobs were gray and not pestering you the whole time.
  • TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026

Talking about the size of Wow now is rather pointless.

All the world of Wow is is a time sink ALL players avoid currently. The latest expansion is the only relevant content in the game at any one time. Players simply power level through the world missing 90%+ of the content. They have offered free high level characters in various ways for years. You can soon (or now perhaps) get a free level 90 and even pay for one to skip all previous content.

Wow is  effectively one of the smallest mmos on planet Earth. Nearly all players avoid all early content as much as they can or bypass it entirely.

You stay sassy!

Originally posted by free2play
    Kind of wondering this too. Right now for real estate volume, LotRO has top marks. Running from one end to the other, visiting each landmark in LotRO from scratch would take 3 months real time and that assumed mobs were gray and not pestering you the whole time.

LOL Lotro takes about 45 minutes at most to go through the zones you can get to without loading. Yeah its nice and they got back to connecting the world better after they instanced Moria and Mirkwood. But it isnt overly huge.

Vanguard is lot bigger, Actually just Thestra is bigger than Lotro. Qualin not as big and Kojan sort of small, but even so it takes 20 minutes to ride a mount from the one end of the lower part to the other. Its separate islands so if you could run them all in a connected it way it might take 30-40 minutes.

• keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191
    Originally posted by rodarin
    Originally posted by free2play

LOL Lotro takes about 45 minutes at most to go through the zones you can get to without loading. Yeah its nice and they got back to connecting the world better after they instanced Moria and Mirkwood. But it isnt overly huge.

Vanguard is lot bigger, Actually just Thestra is bigger than Lotro. Qualin not as big and Kojan sort of small, but even so it takes 20 minutes to ride a mount from the one end of the lower part to the other. Its separate islands so if you could run them all in a connected it way it might take 30-40 minutes.

I somewhat agree with your assessment of LOTRO on a  horse, def not walking, because I just did that a couple of weeks ago on a new toon on a normal speed horse just to unlock the stables and it took me about 45 minutes or longer (wasn't timing) to get to most points (East, West, North South) and I couldn't make it to every stable because everything was chasing me. I also didn't make it inside Moria and beyond, so those expansions would have take me even more time so I think you are underestimating it's size. 

There Is Always Hope!

• Nemesis7884Nemesis7884 Member UncommonPosts: 1,023
    they said its bigger than skyrim, morrowind and oblivion combined

I somewhat agree with your assessment of LOTRO on a  horse, def not walking, because I just did that a couple of weeks ago on a new toon on a normal speed horse just to unlock the stables and it took me about 45 minutes or longer (wasn't timing) to get to most points (East, West, North South) and I couldn't make it to every stable because everything was chasing me. I also didn't make it inside Moria and beyond, so those expansions would have take me even more time so I think you are underestimating it's size. 

Mounted staying on horseback. You can run from Shire to Bree, bree to loneland, lonelands to trollshaws, trollshaws to eregion, eregion to enedwaith, enedwaith to isengard/Dunland, then into gap of Rohan  Trollshaws to Rivendell Rivendell to Misty Mountains.

Same "non instanced area"---Shire to Bree, Bree to North Downs, North downs to Angmar. North downs to Evendim Shire to Evendim Evendim to Forochel.

Thats it that I know of unless they opened up a way to get to Lothlorien and down into the great river and then itno east or west rohan proper.

But those zones...Lothlorien, Great River, east rohan and west rohan, and the wildemores on that side.

Then you have the two instanced off areas of Moria and Mirkwood. It takes 8 minutes to ride west to east in mirkwood on a 68% horse I remember that from beta.

I timed a few of the other runs too I think Shire to rivendell was like 18 minutes. I never timed any of the stuff south. But from trollshaws to say Galtrev couldnt take more than 30 minutes if that and from there you cant go much further. So that is why I said 45 minutes at most without having to see a load screen.

Now if you count THAT map and the lothlorien and the rohans and great river, then you can add another 30 minute MAYBE.

Still doesnt compare to Vanguard. Vanguard is completely open no load screens once your on a continent. I am not positive but I think with a galeon you can see the whole world without a load screen if you can sail through every chunk. But I am not positive on that. But VG is closing so its almost moot anyway.

• PyatraPyatra Member Posts: 644
    Originally posted by Nemesis7884
    they said its bigger than skyrim, morrowind and oblivion combined

This is a good first start at a description, to flesh it out you have to realized that Morrowind and Skyrim are in the same faction, with Black Marsh as well.  So ignoring Cyrodiils size or scaling, we can assume each faction is roughly about 2.5 - 3 times the size of Skyrim.  Multiply that by 3 factions and you get about 7.5 - 9 times the size of Skyrim not including Cyrodiil & Cold Harbor which I'm a little vague on size scaling for both these.

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

I found this at the official forums. Does this help?1.0. The Environments & SettingTamriel will be scaled like the previous games, but will be a bit larger than each. All of the major buildings and structures as they appear in previous games will also be there and [presumably] visitable. Windhelm will look the same, as will the Palace of Kings located within, and they will have the same feel.  Not all of the world will be available at launch, though through expansions and patches more will be added in time. A Day/Night cycle, as well as a weather system are present. The Day/Night Cycle lasts for 5 hours RL time and is equal to 24 hours game time. At level 10, the character's storyline takes off and at that level they are able to engage in PvP. Environments are huge, each zone is made for 20-40 hours of gameplay and all zones include at least 1 four player dungeon. Each faction's content has ~150 hours of content. There are 22 zones currently, which means without extras there is almost 440 hours of gameplay, and potentially twice that accounting for miscellaneous quests in the game. The game environments and rendering has been created so hundreds of players may be seen at a time, even on lower-end systems

Measuring land mass by "Hours of content" is not a appropriate unit of measurement!

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development