Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

After ESO's changes, what other games will offer good RVR?

rguilbertrguilbert Member Posts: 107

Since hopes for ESO to offer DAOC style RVR are now pretty much dead, are there any other games in development that might fill that niche?

I've been looking at Camelot Unchained, and it looks pretty solid (though it will be fairly extreme - no PVE).  There was also a game in development last year that was modeled after DAOC (Prime), but it collapsed due to lack of funding.

Are there any others?

Comments

• rsealmanrsealman Member Posts: 44
    Originally posted by rguilbert

Since hopes for ESO to offer DAOC style RVR are now pretty much dead, are there any other games in development that might fill that niche?

I've been looking at Camelot Unchained, and it looks pretty solid (though it will be fairly extreme - no PVE).  There was also a game in development last year that was modeled after DAOC (Prime), but it collapsed due to lack of funding.

Are there any others?

Dead? How come?

You mean because of the whole pre-order having no faction lockdown thing might kill faction pride?

CU will have PvE, at least last time I checked, the middle dungeon that is being KS right now is PvE content.

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

did i miss something? are the factions not intact anymore?

Originally posted by baphamet

They are sort of intact, only pre-orders for now can join any faction they want.

Unless they decide to sell that unlock to everyone later on.

• CirandraCirandra Member UncommonPosts: 46
    since is pretty much dead and you are looking for a new game why u asking in eso forums..go away m8 and let us noobs to play the fail game.
  • kosackosac Member UncommonPosts: 206

Are there any others?

you just kidding me? you say that why? you are thinking about balance?  i can only say one.. if you want balance you need MIRROR classes so what ESO makes with preorder is the BEST thing what can make (but if they not doing it its not problem to racial bonuses are so weak :D )... and if you looking forward to CU you are blind.. Mark Jakobs dosnt want mirror classes so there will be classes like in WAR where this was huge problem.. so CU will never be cometetive game! ;) its just math

• udonudon Member UncommonPosts: 1,803
    Originally posted by rsealman

They are sort of intact, only pre-orders for now can join any faction they want.

I think it's safe to say the Explorer's pack will be up for purchase post launch.  How much I don't know but I imagine it will be there.  I also suspect that they will give in to player demand and create a way in game to unlock cross faction races as well much like SWTOR does it.

I don't believe that race locks to faction really was a key feature of faction vs faction play but to each their own I guess.

• rguilbertrguilbert Member Posts: 107

You're right, mirror classes do provide an easy way to perfectly balance.  Some find it a little boring though.  Sides figuring out ways to maximize their own strengths while countering the enemy's can make things more interesting.  Not everyone feels that way, but a minority of us (and Matt Firor too, until just recently) do.

• Originally posted by kosac
    Originally posted by rguilbert Since hopes for ESO to offer DAOC style RVR are now pretty much dead, are there any other games in development that might fill that niche? I've been looking at Camelot Unchained, and it looks pretty solid (though it will be fairly extreme - no PVE).  There was also a game in development last year that was modeled after DAOC (Prime), but it collapsed due to lack of funding. Are there any others?
    you just kidding me? you say that why? you are thinking about balance?  i can only say one.. if you want balance you need MIRROR classes so what ESO makes with preorder is the BEST thing what can make (but if they not doing it its not problem to racial bonuses are so weak :D )... and if you looking forward to CU you are blind.. Mark Jakobs dosnt want mirror classes so there will be classes like in WAR where this was huge problem.. so CU will never be cometetive game! ;) its just math

You really have no idea what DAOC even is, do you?
  • Neo_LibertyNeo_Liberty Member UncommonPosts: 437
    Originally posted by udon

I think it's safe to say the Explorer's pack will be up for purchase post launch.  How much I don't know but I imagine it will be there.  I also suspect that they will give in to player demand and create a way in game to unlock cross faction races as well much like SWTOR does it.

I don't believe that race locks to faction really was a key feature of faction vs faction play but to each their own I guess.

I don't care either way. What does it matter if i'm an elf fighting an elf.. or a nord fighting a nord... none of it matters. 

before the change ppl complained that certain factions would be more populated because of the races offered... now that it has been fixed so that anyone can choose their faction regardless of race.. ppl still complain.  posts like this are pointless... someone will always be unhappy.

CU will have PvE, at least last time I checked, the middle dungeon that is being KS right now is PvE content.

Thanks, hadn't noticed that.  I'll check it out.

• DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030
    Originally posted by udon

I agree with Udon.

To me it means faction lock has never been anything but a marketing/monetisation tool and not a true game mechanic.

I'd be fine if it was limited to certain races being available to more than one faction or if they really want to 180 just take out the race faction lock entirely.They don't have to change the game.If people want a story tied to their race then they still have to roll the right faction,if they don't care let them roll any faction with that race.But using to drive preorders and selling the bypass later...doesn't sit well with me.

But like Udon said to each their own.

• Methos12Methos12 Member UncommonPosts: 1,244

You're right, mirror classes do provide an easy way to perfectly balance.  Some find it a little boring though.  Sides figuring out ways to maximize their own strengths while countering the enemy's can make things more interesting.  Not everyone feels that way, but a minority of us (and Matt Firor too, until just recently) do.

I honestly don't think balance at the expense of everything else should be paramount when discussing mass PvP, if only because you can't really balance in a meaningful way by accounting for every possible class combination, tactics, etc. It's sad to see that no other MMOs took after Dark Age of Camelot which gave each of its three sides specific classes which resulted in strong identity and realm pride, but instead at best simply mirror classes with different skins.

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
    Originally posted by kosac

Non mirrored classes bring flavor, that worked to some extent on DAoC.

The problem with WAR was that they were mirrored to a certain point but with a few splashes of diff skills to give the impression of non-mirroring or flavor. Now if you want to talk about how inept the class dev teams were at implementing their classes, that's a whole different story.

Balance between classes, be it mirrored or not is an Utopia. No game ever did it perfectly and all it takes is some wrong number escaping the spreadsheet of the lead moron... i mean lead class dev and you have the FOTM allover again.

Don't expect balance, ever.

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495

Are there any others?

I really hope you base this assumtion because of ingame playable experiance with TESO's RVR?

Or are people who try to play games so much different from gamers?

Also CU doesn't have traditional PVE but will have it's own form of PVE.

• FrammshammFrammshamm Member UncommonPosts: 322
    The factions are still completely intact. There will still be FACTION pride. You can just play any race and still belong to ONE FACTION. You arent FACTIONLESS>. you are part of a FACTION, just not limited to the RACES OF THAT FACTION. I hope i was clear enough for you. Really, this shouldnt be needed at all bc just basic READING SKILL should have been sufficient to understand this.
  • Mechanic74Mechanic74 Member UncommonPosts: 11

Just like in every other game....a year down the road people will go "Race? Huh? Who cares."

• CommoXCommoX Member UncommonPosts: 85

I've had some questions about this myself that I'm hoping someone else can answer.

Mega-server: We all play on the same server, what's to keep people from alt hoping when the AvAvA isn't going their way? This was one of my issues as DAOC got older, and Realm pride sank into the depths of nowhere land.

How are they building that community/realm bond and pride? I know to some degree that it is on the community, but we need the right tools, and as MMO's become more and more mainstream, the tools that separate us from them continue to dwindle. What are we fighting for in the end?

Races, from both an Elder Scrolls and MMO standpoint don't bother me so much. Any race can fight for any faction given the right reasons, in my opinion, so I have no qualms there. The races in ESO aren't so drastically different that you would notice it on the battle field. It's not like we have Furbolgs, Trolls and Ogres out there, or Luks and Kobolds. Everyone is roughly the same size and body style.

I guess that's where I'm confused about how this all works from their aspect.

Originally posted by Frammshamm
    The factions are still completely intact. There will still be FACTION pride. You can just play any race and still belong to ONE FACTION. You arent FACTIONLESS>. you are part of a FACTION, just not limited to the RACES OF THAT FACTION. I hope i was clear enough for you. Really, this shouldnt be needed at all bc just basic READING SKILL should have been sufficient to understand this.

You missed his point, to him (at least thats what I think it's his view), the classes being locked to the factions made it more exciting and like in DAoC would create a deeper sense of faction pride.

To a certain extent both of you are right, it's sort of a hit or miss, like everything in life.

When there are no differences between the two (or three) sides fighting, it becomes a lot less interesting.  In other words, if my faction is exactly the same as the other two factions, then there really isn't any point to having factions at all.  It's just a battleground like GW2 offered.

I see that you feel pretty strongly about this, so - standard disclaimer - this is just my opinion.  You were clear enough for me too, thank god for all those caps (they helped).  Now, off to work on my reading skills.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

I dont see any reason why realmpride and RvR would be less with the current construction...

As soon as you make your choice, you are stuck with it..  There is no realmswitching.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

When there are no differences between the two (or three) sides fighting, it becomes a lot less interesting.  In other words, if my faction is exactly the same as the other two factions, then there really isn't any point to having factions at all.  It's just a battleground like GW2 offered.

I see that you feel pretty strongly about this, so - standard disclaimer - this is just my opinion.  You were clear enough for me too, thank god for all those caps (they helped).  Now, off to work on my reading skills.

I see that you really didn't want an answer to your pretend question in the title.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

Originally posted by Iselin

I see that you really didn't want an answer to your pretend question in the title.

On the contrary, the couple posts about CU were news to me, and appreciated.  As for whether ESO's RVR is any good, it should be fair game for discussion.  I doubt you can make a case that it is still DAOC style RVR now though.

• keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191
    If your not interested in ESO and are asking about other games, why are you even posting in these forums other than to troll?

There Is Always Hope!

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,025

They aren't mirrored classes. It is more or less an open skill system with very loosely defined classes.

Everyone is free to make a character completely different from each other even within the same class.

Also the very low percentage of additional races in other factions will make ZERO impact in RvR. The difference is only in your own mind. You pick a faction and are locked into it. If you pick a faction you hold no pride for it is entirely your own fault.

You stay sassy!

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    this game has too many 'cants' and 'unlocks' 

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me