Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Does the Pantheon Kickstarter have a chance?

seldinseldin Member UncommonPosts: 196

I have been watching the Pantheon Kickstarter since it started and it seems to be progressing very slowly.  It seems like they should have tried what previous projects and started with a lower first Kickstarter.  I not sure they are going to be able to raise 60% of their total in the last 20 days.  In order for them to reach 800K they need to sell out of the $25-75 tiers.  I know that some people have pledge higher amounts but the most likely pledges are less then $100 especially for a game that does not release in 2017.  So what all do you think will Pantheon raise it's Kickstarter total?

Comments

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194

Kickstarter projects have a big partecipation at the start and at the end of each compaign.

Pantheon raised  $100k in the first 2 days and it is likely to raise the same amount during the last 48 hours of the campaign.

I will pledge some money, but I haven't done it yet because I want to know more about the project, so I will probably be one of those people who pledge in the last 48 hours.

• Sajman01Sajman01 Member Posts: 204
    I've never been a fan of Kickstarter but I broke down had to pledge $150 yesterday.

I have 2 friends that are antsy and sitting on the fence like I was. Ultimately everyone I talk too is in love with the ideas behind Pantheon and will end up pledging by the end.

But to answer your question, yes I do think it will get there.
  • JJ82JJ82 Member UncommonPosts: 1,258
    Should point everyone to Camelot Unchained...it jumped at the very start and almost came to a complete halt in the middle, saw a huge PITA marketing campaign on virtually every single gaming forum with beggers. And the last week or so shot up over its goal.

"People who tell you you’re awesome are useless. No, dangerous.

They are worse than useless because you want to believe them. They will defend you against critiques that are valid. They will seduce you into believing you are done learning, or into thinking that your work is better than it actually is." ~Raph Koster
    http://www.raphkoster.com/2013/10/14/on-getting-criticism/

• sethman75sethman75 Member UncommonPosts: 212

At the end of the day it is a niche genre that not many people will get into.

Open world sounded great but then the design of the game to be based around grouping the whole time goes against what the vast majority of players want in an MMO.

It is a massive mistake that they are taking this route.

If you force options on players they will move on to something else that lets them do what they want, not what the dev thinks is cool.

• DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030

Part of the purpose of a Kickstarter campaign is to gauge if there is enough interest for the product in question to be financially viable,if it doesn't then no harm no foul as no one is charged.

Like others have said you can't gauge how a KS campaign will do by average pledges a day because things spike on the first  few days and the last few.As long as Pantheon gets within a reasonable reach of it's goal the end spike will probably carry it over the line.But right now there's no way of gauging it's final success or failure.

• funyahnsfunyahns Member Posts: 315
    Originally posted by sethman75

Open world sounded great but then the design of the game to be based around grouping the whole time goes against what the vast majority of players want in an MMO.

If you force options on players they will move on to something else that lets them do what they want, not what the dev thinks is cool.

Its not really a mistake if you plan accordingly for it.  If you build with the intentions of the more niche market there is plenty of room for it. There are already a ton of games that allow people to solo through content. There are people out there who actually want this type of game. You don't want it obviously but luckily for you there is WoW, SwToR, ESO, Wildstar..... Well you get the idea.

Being forced to work with others can actually help develop a community where you actually have a reputation for being good or bad at the class you play. 

The key is finding the right development price point that can allow them to actually profit.  They need to find a way to make the game for around 1/10 of the price of most new mmos.

• sethman75sethman75 Member UncommonPosts: 212
    Originally posted by funyahns

Its not really a mistake if you plan accordingly for it.  If you build with the intentions of the more niche market there is plenty of room for it. There are already a ton of games that allow people to solo through content. There are people out there who actually want this type of game. You don't want it obviously but luckily for you there is WoW, SwToR, ESO, Wildstar..... Well you get the idea.

Being forced to work with others can actually help develop a community where you actually have a reputation for being good or bad at the class you play. 

The key is finding the right development price point that can allow them to actually profit.  They need to find a way to make the game for around 1/10 of the price of most new mmos.

At a time when peoples lives are getting busier, the last thing most peeps want is to spend hours talking crap and not making progress.

Let's be honest and say that grouping is 3/4 wasting time for the 5th bio of the night

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    They'll do a big push during the last week and get not only a spike in fan contributions but funding from their buddies in the industry. They'll be fine.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• RhazmuzRhazmuz Member UncommonPosts: 208
    Originally posted by ste2000

Kickstarter projects have a big partecipation at the start and at the end of each compaign.

Pantheon raised  $100k in the first 2 days and it is likely to raise the same amount during the last 48 hours of the campaign.

I will pledge some money, but I haven't done it yet because I want to know more about the project, so I will probably be one of those people who pledge in the last 48 hours.

Wheter or not it will raise 100k in the last 48 hours, I think it will be dependent on the progress at that point.. If it is still 150-200k away from the goal at that point, Im not sure it will see such a dramatic jump.

At a time when peoples lives are getting busier, the last thing most peeps want is to spend hours talking crap and not making progress.

Let's be honest and say that grouping is 3/4 wasting time for the 5th bio of the night

People's lives have always been busy. Just because you have more to do now than a few years ago does not mean that the world was waiting for you.  Or that there is not a bunch of college kids today who have free time.  As far as progress... What progress are you talking about exactly?  I am sure that you can solo in game. If you only have an hour to play or something you can still get something done most likely.  Its a taste in choice. Just because you don't want to play does not make you right.  The game is supposed to have classes who are more than DPS with actual CC, Support, Buffers and Pullers.  Hey maybe meaningful mid game stuff. Instead of powering through 14-20 in one hour maybe you will be in zones for a while making them meaningful. 

The other thing I look forward to is having zones being usable for separate levels.  Having those level 35-40 mobs in a 10-20 zone to bring people together. Buffing lowbies and stuff.

A lot of the progress you are talking about as far as levels is hollow.  Level 16 - 32 in Everquest had tons of meaning since it was a challenge.  Way more than 1-80 has had in most other games which are telling you that not being max level is just a waste of time and its not really a part of the game.

• JJ82JJ82 Member UncommonPosts: 1,258

Will you people please stop acting as if solo play is some new idea. Almost every one of the first MMOs were almost completely soloable.

Meridian 59, the realm, Ultima Online, Asherons Call.....you could solo almost everything in those games. It was Everquest that introduced the idea of FORCED grouping. Each of those first games had great communities also. One of the best communities in MMO history was SWG, most of SWG was soloable, in fact, all of it was at some point or another, even Krayt Dragons.

You cant create a community by forcing people together, people are either going to get along and want to communicate or they wont. Just look at how many guilds in those "grouping" MMOs that are closed, they play together, outside the community as a whole.

"People who tell you you’re awesome are useless. No, dangerous.

They are worse than useless because you want to believe them. They will defend you against critiques that are valid. They will seduce you into believing you are done learning, or into thinking that your work is better than it actually is." ~Raph Koster
    http://www.raphkoster.com/2013/10/14/on-getting-criticism/

Originally posted by JJ82

Will you people please stop acting as if solo play is some new idea. Almost every one of the first MMOs were almost completely soloable.

Meridian 59, the realm, Ultima Online, Asherons Call.....you could solo almost everything in those games. It was Everquest that introduced the idea of FORCED grouping. Each of those first games had great communities also. One of the best communities in MMO history was SWG, most of SWG was soloable, in fact, all of it was at some point or another, even Krayt Dragons.

You cant create a community by forcing people together, people are either going to get along and want to communicate or they wont. Just look at how many guilds in those "grouping" MMOs that are closed, they play together, outside the community as a whole.

Of course you can help build a community by forcing people to group up.  If you don't need to work with anyone to get anything done in game then a lot of people will never say a word.  People being together in order to beat content may not make people get along, but its a jumping off point.  Maybe you like that healer you were with. Or that tank held aggro well. Or that ranger didn't over aggro and play smart.

Who is arguing that solo play is something new? I said that if you are worried about being able to play solo that there are a ton of games out there to play where you don't ever have to even speak to anyone if you choose not too. This is doing things a little differently than the rest of the market.  It is niche sure, but there is room enough for it to make money.

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

The difference between what people say on a forum and what the real world wants...is what people will spend money on.

Anyone will join a club, sign a petition, or add their voice to a cause. If you want to find out who really supports an idea, ask them to open their wallet to it.

• NaralNaral Member UncommonPosts: 748

tually profit.  They need to find a way to make the game for around 1/10 of the price of most new mmos.

Forced grouping is actually a draw for not only me, but most of the gamers I know and play with. Solo rpgs are abundant...I would love to see an MMORPG that *requires* some social interaction, and maybe we can bring back some of the good old days ;-)

• superconductingsuperconducting Member UncommonPosts: 871

And so what if they don't get there. They were already talking about going to a publisher.

I think the reality is a whole lot of people can see right through this project.

I personally am not a fan at all of the high-fantasy look. I do not see anything in this MMO that's not been done and overdone a thousand times over before. I don't see innovation, I don't see captivation, heck I don't even see a presentation that's very professional-looking. Why would I support a project that even if meets funding, has a good chance of ending up in the MMO graveyard anyway? Sorry, but no thank you for me. I wish them luck though.

Originally posted by JJ82
    Should point everyone to Camelot Unchained...it jumped at the very start and almost came to a complete halt in the middle, saw a huge PITA marketing campaign on virtually every single gaming forum with beggers. And the last week or so shot up over its goal.

Yeah that's what I meant, the same happened for Pathfinder

There are lots of people that sit on the fence until the last minute

• ZapzapZapzap Member UncommonPosts: 224

At the rate they are going they will be lucky to hit 500k.  People need to pledge now for it to stand a chance.  Doing 10k a day for the next 20 days is not going to cut it.  If its 300k away with a week to go its unlikely to happen.

Can they adjust the 800k goal if they are not going to meet it?  Or do they need to start all over again?

• DeVoDeVoDeVoDeVo Member UncommonPosts: 106

I would be very surprised if this kickstarter failed.  I didn't think Camelot Unchained would make it but someone began pumping a lot of money into the kickstarter near the end.  The same should happen with Pantheon.

If I was an investor, I would also question how and why a game got funded instead of just looking at the final result.

Conspiracy theories FTW.................

Guys I really don't understand why surprises everyone that this kind of campaign gets a huge bump towards the end.

At the start we have the fanboys that throw money at the screen as if there's no tomorrow, then the enthusiasm dies down and the majority of people who are interested but still sits on the fence will wait and watch hoping to gather more info before committing their money.

Generally at the end of the campaign these people eventually give up and because they are running out of time they will panic buy(pledge), even if they are not 100% sure yet.

I haven't pledged yet, but I will. It just a matter of deciding how much I will commit to the cause.

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,947

Recent past is littered with games that catered to "solo" MMO players.

I do not think they are targeting the millions of WoW players.  They seem to be targeting people that are looking for something different.  Something old school. 

Honestly I do not think the problem is the game concept, but rather a lack of confidence in Brad running it.  If they had announced a CEO prior to the Kickstarter and made it clear that Brad is in a creative role and totally separated from the business side, it would have fared much better so far.

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

I think it will fund, though I haven't pledged and am one of those on the fence waiting.

There are people that will pledge at the end, and at the end the people that have already pledged will pledge more toward the add-ons just like we did with Camelot Unchained. That will push it to their 800k goal and maybe a bit over. I spent just as much as my pledges on just add-ons for Camelot Unchained, I don't see that it will be any different for Pantheon for others that will do that too.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• EugeneKDudleyEugeneKDudley Member Posts: 58

I think it has a good chance. This is based on personal opinion of course, but truth for me is i love to watch these indie game company's try to make something like an MMOG! it's a monumental task to compete with some of these huge company's with unlimited funding. Plus, Pantheon has a lot of us Unity 3D developers excited.

BTW Hi all, been a lurker for a long time!

"By all means, reach for the stars but you need to build the spaceship first"

• aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167
    Originally posted by Slapshot1188

Recent past is littered with games that catered to "solo" MMO players.

I do not think they are targeting the millions of WoW players.  They seem to be targeting people that are looking for something different.  Something old school. 

Honestly I do not think the problem is the game concept, but rather a lack of confidence in Brad running it.  If they had announced a CEO prior to the Kickstarter and made it clear that Brad is in a creative role and totally separated from the business side, it would have fared much better so far.

i agree. when this idea was being anonymously floated around here a while back a lot of folks made it quite clear that they would love to see a game like this and they would love to see BMcQuaid as creative and devlopmental lead on it.

no one with a heart wants to see this fail. people having jobs doing things they love is certainly something to hope for anyone. and as mentioned a lot of folks would love to see something like this go live.

but the issues were made clear early on and those in charge chose to ignore them. i think that speaks volumes.

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

• iridescenceiridescence Member UncommonPosts: 1,552

Pathfinder raised about 175K in the last 12 hours (needing 100K to fund). I think Camelot did something similar although I wasn't a backer of that one so didn't follow as closely. You can get an amazing final push on Kickstarter with big tiers and people who really want the game  but they need to be at least close to their goal. If they aren't at least 75% there on the final day people will just write it off.

I think they should have done like Pathfinder and put together a tech demo with their first Kickstarter, got some outside backing to make their game and then if necessary had a second Kickstarter for a full featured game. Having PVP, Crafting and classes as stretch goals which are pretty unattainable is bad.  Makes me wonder what the game will be like if they just squeak over the goal.

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Originally posted by iridescence

Pathfinder raised about 175K in the last 12 hours (needing 100K to fund). I think Camelot did something similar although I wasn't a backer of that one so didn't follow as closely. You can get an amazing final push on Kickstarter with big tiers and people who really want the game  but they need to be at least close to their goal. If they aren't at least 75% there on the final day people will just write it off.

I think they should have done like Pathfinder and put together a tech demo with their first Kickstarter, got some outside backing to make their game and then if necessary had a second Kickstarter for a full featured game. Having PVP, Crafting and classes as stretch goals which are pretty unattainable is bad.  Makes me wonder what the game will be like if they just squeak over the goal.

Good points, the stretch goals are a bit lame, and are usually things added into a base mmorpg game.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot