Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Am I the only one who doesn't like steam?

Comments

• Sunnyguy46Sunnyguy46 Member UncommonPosts: 91
    Originally posted by InporylemQQ
    I like steam as a program, but I don't understand people who buy games from steam. They are horribly priced doesn't matter if it's a sale or not. And for the people who are going to flame me for this just google around, they are horribly overpriced in steam.

Completely wrong. Please don't post false information.

• R.LimaR.Lima Member UncommonPosts: 135
    Steam is excellent. I can talk to my friends in any game just by pressing Shift+Tab, I can watch YouTube videos using the overlay while I wait for a match to end or something, I can buy several games sometimes with great discounts, I can download and update everything very quickly, I can make groups and start communities, I can easily browse servers for Valve games, etc. All in all, it's a must-have for gamers and I only suspect it will grow and eventually end the era of retail copies for games. Gabe Newell surely must be a pretty happy man.
  • catlanacatlana Member Posts: 1,677
    Originally posted by Terranah

I like it.  Convenient and in some cases very good deals. 

But for those who can't behave themselves and get account banned, I could see where it's a problem, especially if your account consists of many games.

I have a friend who got banned. Yes, you loose your entire library. Valve finally granted him access again after 2 months.  Valve refused to tell him why. I will stick with box copies for most games.   

• YizleYizle Member Posts: 517
    Steam, GMG, GOG, Amazon, Gamestop, Humble Bundle. Where ever I can get the best deal. And my Steam acct has about 100 games,
  • StonesDKStonesDK Member UncommonPosts: 1,805

There are plenty of reasons not to like steam.

Not being able to trade your games when you are done with them,
    Getting your account hacked and having to deal with shitty support to get it back
    Minimalists only wanting to run the bare necessities to play games
    DRM purists
    Just because I shouldn't have to (no other sensible reason given)
    Modding problems with steam versions of games.
    Forced patches that breaks more than they fix
    Too much control over my games by one company

The list goes on...

It does have a lot going for it too however which is why I'm willing to deal with the obvious downsides.

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    I don't like steam either. The main problem I have with steam is that it has to be well controlled or the boiler blows. Its a bit dangerous. I am glad they switched to diesel electric locomotives. However the steam locomotive has a really iconic look to it and the steam itself can create a powerful looking image so its pretty good to use in games or movies.
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    I love steam. I own over 300 games on it. Haven't played 80% of them, but eh it's cool. I understand why some people wouldn't like using it, it's basically paying to keep your games on DRM, but at the same time it's super convenient and has great sales.
  • AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006
    I don't like steam but it started with 1 game requiring it to activate / run so from then on I found it easier to buy everything using steam. I lost toally my password, username etc and if you lose complete access and someone else knows your details you can still get it back if you have a credit card number, phone number etc. But you shouldn't be so stupid to lose access to your account but if you do it gets locked so no one can use it.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• GorillaGorilla Member UncommonPosts: 2,235

I like steam as a program, but I don't understand people who buy games from steam. They are horribly priced doesn't matter if it's a sale or not. And for the people who are going to flame me for this just google around, they are horribly overpriced in steam.

The reverse for me. Some bargains in there numerous sales but i find the client is bloatware!
  • AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006
    Steam sales are actually pretty good value especially the holiday events. The latest one I can see there is you can buy Splinter Cell for under $5.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

It is worth mentioning the DRM too, some publishers use the platform to provide DRM. not a fan of that either.
  • FappuccinoFappuccino Member Posts: 159
    Originally posted by Gorilla

The reverse for me. Some bargains in there numerous sales but i find the client is bloatware!

Bloatware:

"(computing) Software that is overpacked with features and therefore slow or unwieldy; software that is inefficiently designed and occupies an excessive amount of memory or disk space."

Steam uses a fraction of my browser's RAM usage.

The amount of space it takes in the HDD is negligible.

If the news notifications are bothering you, you can turn that off.

How so is Steam bloatware?

• GormogonGormogon Member UncommonPosts: 224

I don't use it and don't care for it.

If a player finds the convenience and value-added features worth it, I think it's fine that they want to use Steam.  I fully support every game having a Steam release.  However, I personally wish that companies would not release Steam exclusives (which says everything one needs to know about Steam, and of course similar game management platforms like EA's Origin, being used as DRM no matter how unintrusive many gamers find it).  There are a number of games that I would have bought had an alternative been available.

Not everybody values the things the same.  Things like friends lists, easy access to multiplayer features, file management, automatic updating, and so on ... these don't mean as much to me as they do to others, while the ability to almost completely control my own game experience both in-game and as part of my life in general is worth a lot to me.  Steam doesn't have to go out of business or revoke access to one's games to make letting them control access problematic.  They've been great stewards of the gaming industry so far, but people die and move on, the business cycle creates financial pressures, greed can get the best of people, and there's no guarantee that things won't change for the worse.

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Originally posted by Fappuccino

Bloatware:

"(computing) Software that is overpacked with features and therefore slow or unwieldy; software that is inefficiently designed and occupies an excessive amount of memory or disk space."

Steam uses a fraction of my browser's RAM usage.

If the news notifications are bothering you, you can turn that off.

I've never noticed any issues either, but everyone I know who "hates" steam always tells me the same thing.

• Tgiordano92Tgiordano92 Member UncommonPosts: 168

I hated it at first as well, until I got into the sales and thanks to steam, I found a couple great games, Guns of Icarus, SolForge and The Wolf Among us just to name a few.

• MavolenceMavolence Member UncommonPosts: 635
    I absolutely love Steam and it is without a doubt the best thing that has happened in PC gaming for me personally in many years
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    have been using steam for years now, its even the first place i look when i am interested in a particular game, or where i browse for games. boxed games are something of a pain, i don't like having the disks anymore as they can get broken, and i hate having to search around trying to find them, and since storage space on hdd is so cheap, its easier, more convenient, not to have to use disks. image

Bloatware:

It's overpacked with features (do I need an overlay with what friends are doing when I'm playing games, no, do I need a store browser in my game launcher, no). It is inefficient too, (though of course that is debatable) I would argue that a loader itself should load in fractions of a second rather than seconds and should occupy maybe a few kilobytes rather than megabytes, it has no fancy graphics after all. Pretty much ticks all the boxes for bloatware, even though it only needs to tick one to qualify. As you might tell I don't really care for it though your mileage might differ!
  • mad-hattermad-hatter Member UncommonPosts: 241
    I just like it for the convenience, plus they do have some really great sales sometimes for games that I would have not otherwise tried.  Account security is not really an issue.
  • aleosaleos Member UncommonPosts: 1,942

save game keys..

save confirmation codes..

why?

because..

• FappuccinoFappuccino Member Posts: 159

Bloatware:

It's overpacked with features (do I need an overlay with what friends are doing when I'm playing games, no, do I need a store browser in my game launcher, no). It is inefficient too, (though of course that is debatable) I would argue that a loader itself should load in fractions of a second rather than seconds and should occupy maybe a few kilobytes rather than megabytes, it has no fancy graphics after all. Pretty much ticks all the boxes for bloatware, even though it only needs to tick one to qualify. As you might tell I don't really care for it though your mileage might differ!

I guess that's what it comes down to. So anything anyone might bring forth as arguments, you'll outright disagree with just for the sake of it.

The few things you mentioned are either optional / can be tweaked further / can't wrap my head around (size...).

• versulasversulas Member UncommonPosts: 288

meh... it comes in handy. I have no clue where I put that copy of Brink, but every time I open up the steam client it asks if I want to download it again. 

I'm sure you're pretty proud of your bookcase or w/e filled with neat, categorized game boxes that actually have the games they came with inside of them. Wait until you move four or five more times, then come tell me about the joys of a physical copy. And store that shit on your hard drive? You'd be lucky if that's not erased within a week of getting bored with it.

Originally posted by Eighteen16
    Losing your steam account is about as likely as losing your bank account. It will only happen if you make extremely stupid decisions. 

Guess shopping at Target or Sony or any number of other retailers that store data overseas, Steam included, is extremely stupid... It's not about ownership, it's about damage control. Come on, this ain't 1995 and being hacked isn't just about clicking on suspicious links anymore. Quit living in the dark ages.

And what happens if you decide to take a break from gaming when you go to college and after awhile decide darkslayer1337sauce or whatever you decided as a kid isn't an e-mail you'd like to keep giving out. A few years pass and things settle down. You download steam again, only to find the account is linked to an e-mail address you've long since stricken from your memory.

I'm sure there are steps you can take to recover game access, but the point is you shouldn't be classified as a moron for losing your account information. Shit happens, enjoy life more. 

Bloatware:

I guess that's what it comes down to. So anything anyone might bring forth as arguments, you'll outright disagree with just for the sake of it.

The few things you mentioned are either optional / can be tweaked further / can't wrap my head around (size...).

I don't deny it makes things pretty easy and stuff like cloud saves (for steam works aware games at least) is neat if moving to your laptop. Having said that on the whole games install load and run pretty easily nowadays anyway. Don't know if you remember the DOS days and DOS/WIN95 days but it could be a massive pita getting stuff to run. I just wish you could strip it right back to core launcher functionality.

Edit: btw I didn't disagree just for the sake of it I listed quantative reasons why it matches your definition of bloatware. Just serving adds makes it so.
  • BigdavoBigdavo Member UncommonPosts: 1,863
    I used to feel the same, but damn those sales started to grow on me.

O_o o_O

• KatinkoKatinko Member Posts: 8
    Steam is fantastic, I've gotten some real gems during their sales, in fact their sales spoiled me and these days I refuse to pay more than $20 for a PC game, I don't care if it's brand new I'm not paying $60 for some game that's going to be $15 in a Steam sale in a few months.