Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Wildstar or ESO?

13»

Comments

• plat0nicplat0nic Member Posts: 301
    might as well try both, can't hurt!

Main Game: Eldevin (Plat0nic)
    2nd Game: Path of Exile (Platonic Hate)

• Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,056
    Where is the neither option? 
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • Nemesis7884Nemesis7884 Member UncommonPosts: 1,023

wildstar

the best of classic wow style mmo

cartoony / funny

raiding focus

eso

more of a single player rpg / mmo mix

serious / mature in graphic and story

focus on pvp and small groups

pick your poison...ill go with eso

• SiphaedSiphaed Member RarePosts: 1,114
    Originally posted by GuyClinch

I wouldn't worry about zenimax because of the CE thing. It's all about gaming design talent - and that company has it in spades. If you want a company that creates the best games you need a company that has the best gaming talent. Some people might not like Skyrim or Dishonored but they were excellent technical achievements in gaming..

Outside of Rockstar gaming and perhaps Bungie there are not alot of better regarded gaming companies out there.. I do love what I have seen out of Carbine though.

Anyway my point is you have to look not just at the body of work of a company but the kind of talent they have currently. That's actually way more important.

Are you seriously arguing game talent instead of the game's merits themselves?   Really?  People can created gold and shit games equally (just look at EA launching 1 out of 20 games being truly good). 

Wildstar's developer Carbine Studios has talent from many previous games:

Now, we're not dissing the last round of online games. We can't - we worked on a lot of them: titles like World of Warcraft, Everquest 1 and 2, Warhammer Online, City of Heroes, Free Realms, Diablo II, StarCraft. We've also had our hands in some other games you might recognize, like Fallout, Metroid Prime, and...well, you get the point.

At least many of those games on that list are MMORPG games that they have a familiarity with designing and developing within that environment.  The games you mentioned are mostly single-player RPG's and you're pitching how a development team of mostly single-player game makers are making this great Massive Multiplayer Online game.

I do recall that people were praising Star Wars: The Old Republic because of Bioware's extensive library of great RPG games like the previous Old Republic game and the Mass Effect & Dragon Age series.  How did that one turn out?    Great box sales based on high expectations that then morphed into massive overturn rates that caused it to go Free-2-Play in less than a year after launching.  

^^^That above is just a clarification that the video game outcome is much more important than a hero worship towards certain developers that have made good in the past but  aren't guaranteed to deliver again in the future.  

P.S. 

Just by what has been shown of Wildstar it seems to be more content rich and more variety than what's in TESO.   Mind you that this is because TESO is still locked behind it's NDA, which is strange considering the launch is going to be in less than 2 months and it's already taking pre-orders.   Wildstar may still be locked behind it's NDA 'mostly', but it's shown tons of content on a weekly basis and hundreds of Press are able to show and stream all content up to level 15.   That game still has yet to reveal a solid release date OR take any pre-orders as well. 

That right there leaves me suspicious that TESO doesn't want to show it's game 2 months prior to launch, doesn't seem proud of what it has created.    This seems the opposite as Wildstar wants to show off the game in every which way and is proud of what's created.    

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by Viper482
    Where is the neither option? 

Just wait till both turn F2P and there is no reason not to try it out.

• GuyClinchGuyClinch Member CommonPosts: 485
    Originally posted by Siphaed
    Originally posted by GuyClinch

I wouldn't worry about zenimax because of the CE thing. It's all about gaming design talent - and that company has it in spades. If you want a company that creates the best games you need a company that has the best gaming talent. Some people might not like Skyrim or Dishonored but they were excellent technical achievements in gaming..

Outside of Rockstar gaming and perhaps Bungie there are not alot of better regarded gaming companies out there.. I do love what I have seen out of Carbine though.

Anyway my point is you have to look not just at the body of work of a company but the kind of talent they have currently. That's actually way more important.

Are you seriously arguing game talent instead of the game's merits themselves?   Really?  People can created gold and shit games equally (just look at EA launching 1 out of 20 games being truly good). 

Sure sometimes a good development team can strike out. But more often then not talented developers will come through. EA has been bleeding talent and overworking the guys they have left. They also have a dismal culture. Zenimax has been creating great games.

Wildstar's developer Carbine Studios has talent from many previous games:

Now, we're not dissing the last round of online games. We can't - we worked on a lot of them: titles like World of Warcraft, Everquest 1 and 2, Warhammer Online, City of Heroes, Free Realms, Diablo II, StarCraft. We've also had our hands in some other games you might recognize, like Fallout, Metroid Prime, and...well, you get the point.

At least many of those games on that list are MMORPG games that they have a familiarity with designing and developing within that environment.  The games you mentioned are mostly single-player RPG's and you're pitching how a development team of mostly single-player game makers are making this great Massive Multiplayer Online game.

I like Wildstar too. They have some talented developers. I think both games are going to be good right now. I had my doubts about TESO but Zenimax has been doing a good job lately so I giving them the benefit of the doubt until proven otherwise. The game is under a NDA so we don't really know a ton about it.

You are making a huge distinction between online and single player games that doesn't really exist. The elements of gameplay that make a game good or bad exist in both game genres. The fact that people on this board fixate on game design decisions instead of gaming quality doesn't change this fact.

BC and current WoW had vastly different game design - but very similiar gameplay..  I actually don't like current WoW design but it still PLAYS very nice.

Game design while important is overblown.

I played FFXIV - and while I didn't paricularly care for the one way linear quest that forced you to group or go solo as you leveled (and you have to do it to unlock dungeons). If the game had quailty modern gameplay, vast open world, decent music, and beautiful graphics i would overlook it. Just like millions of people overlooked the vertical progression attunement locked progression of BC WoW. But FFXIV had crappy gameplay and is another poor quality square enix game. The only good game they have put out  since FFX is Deus EX:HR and the head of the developer team of eidos montreal just up and quit because he couldn't stand working for square-enix. Its not surprising - alot of the Japanese development teams have gone to hell in the last 10 years.

I do recall that people were praising Star Wars: The Old Republic because of Bioware's extensive library of great RPG games like the previous Old Republic game and the Mass Effect & Dragon Age series.  How did that one turn out?    Great box sales based on high expectations that then morphed into massive overturn rates that caused it to go Free-2-Play in less than a year after launching.  

it wasn't bioware who brought the game out. It was EA. EA bought bioware and in the process gutted the talent like they do with every studio. The fans hoped Bioware would endure but if you played any of the post EA bioware games you know the truth. Just like with TESO its not Bethesda but Zenimax putting it out. The good thing is that Zenimax has been making good games.

^^^That above is just a clarification that the video game outcome is much more important than a hero worship towards certain developers that have made good in the past but  aren't guaranteed to deliver again in the future.  

WIthout personal testing and in the abscence of good reviews its the best we have to go on. My point is that given the track record of Zenimax - they could have a hit on their hands.

P.S. 

Just by what has been shown of Wildstar it seems to be more content rich and more variety than what's in TESO.   Mind you that this is because TESO is still locked behind it's NDA, which is strange considering the launch is going to be in less than 2 months and it's already taking pre-orders.   Wildstar may still be locked behind it's NDA 'mostly', but it's shown tons of content on a weekly basis and hundreds of Press are able to show and stream all content up to level 15.   That game still has yet to reveal a solid release date OR take any pre-orders as well. 

I actually think that Wildstar will be my main MMO.  I was impressed with Skyrim but found it too dry and too much 'serious fantasy.' But you have to be impressed with the team that can make a Sandbox game like that. The only other company capable of such a feat is Rockstar games.

That right there leaves me suspicious that TESO doesn't want to show it's game 2 months prior to launch, doesn't seem proud of what it has created.    This seems the opposite as Wildstar wants to show off the game in every which way and is proud of what's created.    

I do think there is a chance that TESO totally drops the ball and stinks. Even games that people think are "good" on this forum I think are absolutely awful (FFXIV for example). However i just dont't think you can write off a company that's been producing excellent games without even playing it or seeing some professional reviews.

• NurofenNurofen Member Posts: 32

I have tried one of the two mentioned games, and the controls are a joke. You cannot point and click - neither for picking something up or for targeting, fighting etc

It feels very slow, sluggish and indirect. It is as if you have to sign an application in triplicate before being allowed to interact with an object on the screen. Absolute rubbish.

I don't like your tone sir.

• MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555
    Should add a "Both" option! I don't think I could choose. They both appeal to me for different reasons.
  • RocknissRockniss Member Posts: 1,034
    Wildstar is just wow without all my friends and established reputation.

ESO is much different

I going to give ESO a shot.
  • ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    ESO for me.  Might give Wildstar a try somewhere down the line.
  • GillleanGilllean Member Posts: 169

ESO because

I don't want to be a housewife in a mmo. housing in wildstar

In ESO I will me mighty warrior who fights scourge !  it's clear?

• GuyClinchGuyClinch Member CommonPosts: 485

"Willdstar is just wow without all my friends and established reputation. ESO is much different I going to give ESO a shot."

I think the ESO combat is closer to WoW then Wildstar. Wildstar is like Ratchet and Clank the MMO. Now I suppose most of the guys here never played Ratchet and Clank but trust me when I say it doesn't play like WoW at all.

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424

I'm in the same boat.  I'm torn between the two.  I love the comical feel of Wildstar, and the Chua...I wish you could be a non-evil Chua.  Wildstar also seems to be a crafter's paradise, and I'm definitely a crafter more than a MMO player.  The Settler and Explorer Paths seem right up my alley, and it gives you something to do that's different for alts.

ESO though looks pretty good, and I love that it got an M rating.  I like the TES series a lot.  I've played every game in the series :)

• aslan132aslan132 Member UncommonPosts: 619

Honestly for me, this wasnt about which game was better than the other. They are completely different genres. Im in a guild right now that is heavily into Wildstar, but I found that its just not for me. 

On paper, Wildstar has many more features. With things like Arenas and Battlegrounds and Warplots for PVP, vs ESO with only Cyrodiil (no options). And Wildstar has housing, which many wont care if its there or not. Wildstar is a much more "filled out" MMO, but in the end, Im choosing ESO just because of the fantasy setting. 

So I guess it all comes down to personal choice. Do you want the "better" game, or the "better for you" game. Wildstar has more, but ESO has what I want. I love the lore, love the fantasy (magic and dragons) over sci-fi (lasers and space travel). I think theres many people out there that will choose based solely on genre preference like myself, over which game has "more".

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Originally posted by Gilllean

ESO because

I don't want to be a housewife in a mmo. housing in wildstar

In ESO I will me mighty warrior who fights scourge !  it's clear?

Sorry to break it to you but ESO will have housing too.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] UncommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    I mean can't we play both? Didn't aristotle say,

“It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.”