Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Am I the only one who doesn't like steam?

JakeSimJakeSim Member RarePosts: 883

I'm not a fan of it.  I don't like having one account with X amount of games. If I lose the account there goes my games if I can't recover the account.

I would much rather have the game installed right on my pc and have a separate login for it. I'd feel like I actually own it more than I would through a client like steam.

/endshortrant

Please come check out my stream. All the love is appreciated! 

TWITCH: @JakeSimTV

Comments

• rguilbertrguilbert Member Posts: 107
    I used to feel the same way, but I eventually came over to the dark side.  I love Steam now. 
  • FappuccinoFappuccino Member Posts: 159

If one is that paranoid about losing their account then they should go to greater lengths to ensure that they can recover their account in different ways.

Or make proper backups of information or whatever.

Account security recommendations.

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    I don't dislike it I guess, I just won't ever use it. I only play mmorpg's and buy direct from the company making it or the box from Amazon. I'm not interested in using Steam or anything similar to play something I like. My son and husband however have no problem with Steam.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• iridescenceiridescence Member UncommonPosts: 1,552

Steam is just a store. I don't "like" it anymore than I like the store where I buy my groceries. They have good prices on games so I buy them there sometimes but when GMG offers an extra 25% off a game I want I never hesitate to buy there instead and also do prefer buying on GOG because you actually own the games you buy there. Being fanboys of particular stores is for idiots. Makes even less sense than being a fanboy of a product.

• hayes303hayes303 Member UncommonPosts: 427

I don't mind Steam, until I have to use that joke they call a support system. Then I hate them.

Seriously, I don't even know how such a dominant company gets away with such absolute garbage support.

• TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575

I like it.  Convenient and in some cases very good deals. 

But for those who can't behave themselves and get account banned, I could see where it's a problem, especially if your account consists of many games.

• BloodDualityBloodDuality Member UncommonPosts: 404

I love steam, it is a great service to get games on sale and play with friend. 

It is getting harder to avoid steam these days anyways. Games like Bioshock Infinite are updated through steam even if you buy a boxed copy. If it is not through steam these days it will end up being through Origin if it's an EA published game, or U-play if it is an Ubisoft game. That's the way things are going these days. Connected game services, but the benefits of cross game chat and unified friends lists are tough to beat. 

try to get over the fear, and the of the positives that come with it. Also, let's not forget massive sales. 

• GiddianGiddian Member UncommonPosts: 418
    Originally posted by Tidel

I'm not a fan of it.  I don't like having one account with X amount of games. If I lose the account there goes my games if I can't recover the account.

I would much rather have the game installed right on my pc and have a separate login for it. I'd feel like I actually own it more than I would through a client like steam.

/endshortrant

I don't care for it either. Why would I want to load a program, to load my programs? Stupid. I don't need 3rd party software to run my programs. I know its popular, shop, download and play on the same program. Don't need it.

its like the X-Box one to me. I don't need the x-box one to rum my movies, cable, computer, and games. I just want a game console.

• IGaveUpIGaveUp Member Posts: 273

I don't dislike it, but I don't shop there.  Call me old fashioned but box, disc and key on a sticker is more my style.  Occasionally GoG if they have something I want.

• MithrandolirMithrandolir Member UncommonPosts: 1,701

I could take it or leave it, but I do LOVE Valve and their games.

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

I resented having to use steam to play GA but got over it.  Then a patch came along that just wouldn't patch.  Long story short:  Steam's support blamed GA, GA's support blamed Steam leaving a customer unable to play the game.  Dropped GA and uninstalled Steam.

Perhaps Steams Technical Support has improved...

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• lugallugal Member UncommonPosts: 671

Steam is great for me. I was worried early on about losing my account and the games on it, however I was relieved to be able to download the game and the key for each one to play. I dont download the games anymore, but it is nice to know I can at anytime.

As for the account, I keep a phone book with my user name and password recorded in it. Every few months I will go thru and change all my passwords. Better safe than sorry.

Roses are red
    Violets are blue
    The reviewer has a mishapen head
    Which means his opinion is skewed
    ...Aldous.MF'n.Huxley

• LugorsLugors Member UncommonPosts: 184

I used to be leery, but I too came to the darkside.  Sharing the games (w/ saves) across computers is rather handy.  Specials have gotten me to take risks on games for 5 bucks that normally I wouldn't have tried. 

It simply is better than everything else out there for digital distribution.  It does occupy such a large part of the market that similar companies can't compete.  GoG games occupies a vital nitch different than steam, and some companies have opted to go with proprietary platforms such as Battlenet and Origin.

• MithrandolirMithrandolir Member UncommonPosts: 1,701
    Originally posted by RealmLordsKen

I don't dislike it, but I don't shop there.  Call me old fashioned but box, disc and key on a sticker is more my style.  Occasionally GoG if they have something I want.

Same here... and a map! A tangible map please! Cloth preferred but I'd settle for paper over nothing.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

The OP pretty much summed up the most important black mark on the system.The second problem is support,their support is the lamest support i have seen,they almost always tell you the problem is with the main  developer and not them.

The good thing about the service is you are most likely buying the games cheaper than anywhere else and you always have the ability to d/l from Steam,delete it and d/l again later.I think for a long time Steam was untrusted by many,now i guess it will be around a long time and since we get games so cheap ,even if it folded up shop we would not lose a heck of a lot.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

I wouldn't say I only buy from steam but I really do like digital DL from companies that let you re DL the game any time in the future you want. 

I don't like to keep boxes and CD keys or any physical copy of games, but I do like that if my HD ever crashes I can just DL all my games again and pick up right where I left off.

I also like the friends features. I can see what friends are playing see how much time they put in on games and it really helps decide if I want a game or not. It's also very easy to join them through steam.

Steam has it's down sides like...some games can't be played if steam goes off line. You could lose the account...I guess. but for me the benefits out weight the negatives so I'm happy to use it.

That and steam sales are pretty hard to beat. I have a lot of great games I never you have played and I paid $5 for them.

• InporylemQQInporylemQQ Member Posts: 165
    I like steam as a program, but I don't understand people who buy games from steam. They are horribly priced doesn't matter if it's a sale or not. And for the people who are going to flame me for this just google around, they are horribly overpriced in steam.

ArcheAge, Black Desert and Bless videos InporylemQQ Youtube

• funyahnsfunyahns Member Posts: 315
    Originally posted by InporylemQQ
    I like steam as a program, but I don't understand people who buy games from steam. They are horribly priced doesn't matter if it's a sale or not. And for the people who are going to flame me for this just google around, they are horribly overpriced in steam.

What are you talking about? Steam typically has the best sales on games. Once in while another site will have them beat but it is not all that often.  So where is this website that has cheaper games than steam?

• Eighteen16Eighteen16 Member UncommonPosts: 146
    Losing your steam account is about as likely as losing your bank account. It will only happen if you make extremely stupid decisions. 
  • DalanonDalanon Member UncommonPosts: 126
    I like the fact I can get really good games cheap on steam.  I've never had a technical problem with them so I can't say much about their customer support.

Not all who wander are lost...

• VeldekarVeldekar Member Posts: 220
    Originally posted by rguilbert
    I used to feel the same way, but I eventually came over to the dark side.  I love Steam now. 

Ditto

• stragen001stragen001 Member UncommonPosts: 1,720

No you arent the only one. I hate launchers and especially steam. 

If I buy a game, I want to install it where I want, how I want and not have to load a 3rd party program to play it. 

Cluck Cluck, Gibber Gibber, My Old Mans A Mushroom

• onlinenow25onlinenow25 Member UncommonPosts: 305
    Originally posted by funyahns

What are you talking about? Steam typically has the best sales on games. Once in while another site will have them beat but it is not all that often.  So where is this website that has cheaper games than steam?

Ya I just wanted to add to this.  When Bioshock Infinity came out and was $60 buck everywhere I got it for $20 from a Steam Sale. 

Not to mention their Winter and Summer sales.  Hell I spent $40 bucks and got about 10 different games with full DLC. 

• VonatarVonatar Member UncommonPosts: 723

Living in a foreign country, and not always being able to get English versions of games, Steam is a godsend.

I like being able to buy a game and be playing it within 1-2hrs, I like the special offers, I like seeing what my friends are playing, and connecting with other who play games I like. Steam has introduced me to many games I would otherwise have not known about. For me, it's hard not to like it in any way.

• H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380

The reason you're gonna get flamed is because you're horribly wrong.  I save my money and only buy games during Steams two annual mega sales.  Every time I've done this I've managed to pick up AAA titles that were six months old or less for under ten dollars.  

During this last sale I picked up Far Cry 3 for five bucks and Bioshock Infinite for seven bucks.  The sale before that I picked up Borderlands 2 and ALL the DLC for less than twenty dollars.  Right this moment, and it's not even a mega sale event, Splinter Cell Blacklist is only twenty four dollars with all the DLC.