Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

kinda skeered

Clutch586Clutch586 Member UncommonPosts: 12

Just started the trial. I find this game very interesting, but at the same time very intimidating. I read posts discussing it....read the in game chat, and understand very little of it. This game is one of the most involved I have ever seen, which greatly interests me and kind of put me off at the same time. 

Any words of advice from some of you veterans out there?

Comments

• LukoooneLukooone Member UncommonPosts: 153
    Of course... Dont fly anything you cant afford to lose, even in High Sec...

But, but, but he attacked me when I was low life! 

Yes, HE DID, why you cant do the same to him? 

Uf that will take me a lot of time... 

HERE IS YOUR QUEST!

• MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297
    Originally posted by Clutch586

Just started the trial. I find this game very interesting, but at the same time very intimidating. I read posts discussing it....read the in game chat, and understand very little of it. This game is one of the most involved I have ever seen, which greatly interests me and kind of put me off at the same time. 

Don't worry about the things you can't do: focus on the things that you can do. Set yourself realistic goals. Make friends.

Give me liberty or give me lasers

• docminus2docminus2 Member UncommonPosts: 184

I felt sort of the same when I tried it out, but I followed the intro missions and career-agent missions and used the help (or rookie) channel a lot, then found a guild (or, corporation, as it is called in EVE) where I get all the help I need.

In addition, if the intro-missions were to short, or too confusing, you can redo them for the other races. Will give you some extra time and cash as well.

Finally, take it at your pace and you should be fine.

--------------------------------------------
    Youtube newb:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC96N3cxBuqKTPV2BQNlzGUw

• Quazal.AQuazal.A Member UncommonPosts: 859

Get chatting, to get to know people, Ask any questions you have, it might be cheesy but there is really NO DUMB questions, only dumb answers.

I would definatly recommend joining something like Eve University once you go full subs, in fact if you really feel that this is the game, then sub asap, You will still get your full 21 days (assuming you use a buddy invite like my code below) of trial on top of the 30days.

But do the starter missions, All of them, even if you know your not going to be an industrialist, its handy to do because of basic ships / skills and isk they give you to begin with, and even 100mill pirates still need hauler or 2 in their station :)

But if you have any specific questions either hunt me out in game, or drop me a mail on the forum and ill help where i can :)

fianlly hopefully you got the 21day trial, if not feel free to re-register using my code in my autosignature. (note you can use same emial account multiple times, so far i have in region 96 registered accounts against my normal email :) 

This post is all my opinion, but I welcome debate on anything i have put, however, personal slander / name calling belongs in game where of course you're welcome to call me names im often found lounging about in EvE online.
    Use this code for 21days trial in eve online https://secure.eveonline.com/trial/?invc=d385aff2-794a-44a4-96f1-3967ccf6d720&action=buddy

• Clutch586Clutch586 Member UncommonPosts: 12
    Thanks for the replies, guys. Some sound advice in there. Going to take my time and run all the starter missions, so I can get a feel for the game and what I want to accomplish in it.  Thanks again.

• HazelleHazelle Member Posts: 760

Revel in your anonymity.

Try to separate your real life ethics and morals from that of your ingame character and expect other people are doing the same.

Always remember that it's just an internet spaceship video game, so not only is it okay for your character to suffer loss in this game but it's expected so that the economy can remain strong and other players have things to do like mine, build, trade, etc.

The game is a MMORPG so expect other players to interact with you and not always in a good way.

Read this:

http://web.ccpgamescdn.com/communityassets/pdf/EVE-Online-New-Pilot-FAQ.pdf

After you finish the tutorials save and read this:

http://www.isktheguide.com/downloads/ISK_Vol_1_Odyssey_1_1_4.zip

• KrematoryKrematory Member UncommonPosts: 608
    Don't be too afraid to lose some ships. It will happen eventually, and it's only not a big deal, but the only way to learn new stuff and become a better player.

"EVE is likely the best MMORPG that you've never really understood or played" - Kyleran

• PsyMike3dPsyMike3d Member UncommonPosts: 388
    Originally posted by Clutch586

Just watch a lot of youtube video tutorials! You will probably find any questions you have. 

• WhibboWhibbo Member Posts: 49
    I tried it 3 times myself before I stuck with it, and now I don't play anything else.  The difference:  I joined EVE University.  I'm not with them anymore but it was the absolute best way to learn the game.  You learn all the basics and they have a little bit of everything so you can try out things to see what you like.  I decided that I was interested in PVP after trying missions, mining, fleets, high sec, low sec, wormholes and null sec campuses.  They get you set up on comms, flying in fleets, and they have classes to listen in on.  Join them.  Now.  They are set up for players like you.

Playing EVE online currently. Started MMO's with EQ Velious, played EQ2, DAoC, CoH, AO, SWG (pre NGE), Planetside, DCUO. Played briefly cause I didn't like: WAR, WoW, VG, etc. etc.