Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] General: 2013's Free to Play Top 10

2»

Comments

• CazNeergCazNeerg Member Posts: 2,198
    Originally posted by DamonVile

You can't really win an argument on a forum though. If you're wrong in one thread you can always just start up again in another. If you can't be right about hating a game, you just find another one. As long as you never go back you never have to deal with people who have shown you how wrong you really are.

I agree.  The closest anyone ever gets to winning an internet argument is either (depending on your perspective) being restrained enough not to participate in the first place, or being the last one to give up and stop posting.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
    Through passion, I gain strength.
    Through strength, I gain power.
    Through power, I gain victory.
    Through victory, my chains are broken.
    The Force shall free me.

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Originally posted by CazNeerg

You can't really win an argument on a forum though. If you're wrong in one thread you can always just start up again in another. If you can't be right about hating a game, you just find another one. As long as you never go back you never have to deal with people who have shown you how wrong you really are.

I agree.  The closest anyone ever gets to winning an internet argument is either (depending on your perspective) being restrained enough not to participate in the first place, or being the last one to give up and stop posting.

Funny, I consider the first guy to give up and stop posting the winner :)

• Darknessguy64Darknessguy64 Member Posts: 233

The winner is usually the one who got banned and their winning post was deleted because the loser reported them....

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    In that case, I win a lot :)
  • VembumeesVembumees Member Posts: 79
    How did they get this info, it sounds rather off to me. Especially because just yesterday I read a Riot employer post in reddit who said that only they know the real numbers how much they earn. I assume its just a bunch of bullshit with estimates, I dont believe that League of Legends earns less than World of Warcraft or an absolutely nonamer game Cross Fire. Its a bunch of advertisement bullshit.

• thinktank001thinktank001 Member UncommonPosts: 2,144
    Originally posted by Vembumees
    How did they get this info, it sounds rather off to me. Especially because just yesterday I read a Riot employer post in reddit who said that only they know the real numbers how much they earn. I assume its just a bunch of bullshit with estimates, I dont believe that League of Legends earns less than World of Warcraft or an absolutely nonamer game Cross Fire. Its a bunch of advertisement bullshit.

The only 2 real figures are Maplestory and WOW.  Everything else is extrapolated data. 

• travamarstravamars Member CommonPosts: 417

Funny that a few of those so called "Top ten" f2p games shut down their north american offices. Maybe f2p isn't really the way of the future. 

maybe US schools are not doing so bad in teaching math. They seem to be the only ones aware that their being nickel and dimed to death in f2p.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    The game on that list that really shocks me is Lineage.....That had to be one of thw worst piles of garbage ever....Click and point movement and combat and people will pay for that? cmon
  • YizleYizle Member Posts: 517
    Originally posted by Darknessguy64

The winner is usually the one who got banned and their winning post was deleted because the loser reported them....

LOL I'll go with this answer.

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919

Extrapolated data indeed.

"A guess" based on a sample of people who supposedly provide them with all their financial game spend data (hmmm). Said numbers then being factored up to some assumed world wide number.

And no companies like EA do not break out their revenue data. An analyst even asked for more data at EAs conference call last week and was told no.

So treat the numbers as "an estimate" not as hard fact. Put them up for scrutiny. 

• swing848swing848 Member UncommonPosts: 292
    Originally posted by ste2000

So the big cash cows are the Subscribers with $21 spent each versus $7 spent averagely by the F2P players.

If we take into consideration that most of the F2P games have also a Subscription option (like EQ2 and AoC) and we add the fact that the subscribers not only pay for a monthly subscription but also spend some money on the cash shops, the result is that $21 will grow while that $7 will go down sensibly.

My conclusion is that a successful Subscription MMO (or a hybrid like WoW) will always be more profitable than a pure F2P game by a long shot.

No wonder ESO and Wildstar are trying to get a slice of that market.

____________________________________________________________________________

WoT makes a great deal of money in the U.S.  This FTP game is only free until about tier 6, depending upon the line of tanks you play. 

Tier 10 tanks requires you to spend real dollars, and this is so after tier 6 or so.  Starting at tier 4 the grind will be brutal [and it gets worse for every next higher tier] if you do not spend money on the game.

Intel Core i7 7700K, MB is Gigabyte Z270X-UD5
    SSD x2, 4TB WD Black HHD, 32GB RAM, MSI GTX 980 Ti Lightning LE video card