Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

End Game Content Worth its Weight?

KrylosKrylos Member UncommonPosts: 73
Hi, brief overview of myself here.  I am an oldschool EQ junkie, and a vanilla / tbc raider of wow.  Basically, I have been searching for a game with challenging yet rewarding end game content.  I have heard rifts raiding was pretty spectacular. Is this where i need to be?  Looking for player opinions.  If not, some advice?  Ive been doing research for a few days now and still just cant come up with anything at all. 

Comments

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910
    I've heard exactly zip on Rift's raiding.  I think it's free though.  The only cost would be time spent getting there and gearing up.  I've heard SWToR's raiding is good, if you can get through the rest of the game.  It's not part of the free content though.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• KrylosKrylos Member UncommonPosts: 73
    Ive been debating returning to WoW (i know, i know) because the model for their raiding in WoD looks like it might actually keep a challenging level of content available to those who want it.  I was never a fan of flex raids, but with the static raid option there is hope i suppose?
  • jimbobfurleyjimbobfurley Member UncommonPosts: 104
    Originally posted by DMKano

Rift's raids are currently imo the best any themepark has to offer - they are brutally hard though (current content that is).

You need to be geared to stand a chance and 100% planned and executed by all.

Here's one recent example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVyaDz0rTZU

All content in Rift is 100% free - all raids, dungeons - there is zero content behind the paywall.

Also all gear that can be earned via gameplay (including best raid gear) is 100% free.

The fact that you can play your character from 1 to max and do all the content and use all gear without paying a cent - no comparison.

Also the raids are really well done.

If so much in Rift is 100% free -- what is the advantage in subbing ?

• SmellyNannerSmellyNanner Member Posts: 152

Rift is such a good game. They offer so much..

Honestly the only problem is the game has no soul.. at all. It sucks. Wish I could keep playing it, just doesn't draw me in.

• ringdanyringdany Member UncommonPosts: 189

the general reputation on the web is that Rift's endgame. which is mainly pvp, is not that great (google "is Rift pvp good?").

not many games have good endgame content. some mmos with reputations for passable to good RvR endgame :-

Aion

DAOC

Aika Online

GW2

Champions of Regnum

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by SmellyNanner

Honestly the only problem is the game has no soul.. at all. It sucks. Wish I could keep playing it, just doesn't draw me in.

Exactly this

all those game mechanics just sound perfect, they have the best free to play i plementatio, but the game somehow does not pull me in.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• MurlockDanceMurlockDance Member Posts: 1,223

Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

Exactly this

all those game mechanics just sound perfect, they have the best free to play i plementatio, but the game somehow does not pull me in.

These two posts are sort of how I feel. Been back for two days after a really long hiatus. I know instinctively that the game is good: good polish, decent game mechanics, graphics are ok, world is ok, etc., but I am not drawn in. I don't feel like logging in the second I get up whereas usually when I have a honeymoon phase even when I go back to something, I am anxious to play.

I am still going to give it a good crack though.

Playing MUDs and MMOs since 1994.

• DrilDril Member Posts: 107
    Originally posted by MurlockDance

Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

Exactly this

These two posts are sort of how I feel. Been back for two days after a really long hiatus. I know instinctively that the game is good: good polish, decent game mechanics, graphics are ok, world is ok, etc., but I am not drawn in. I don't feel like logging in the second I get up whereas usually when I have a honeymoon phase even when I go back to something, I am anxious to play.

I am still going to give it a good crack though.

Heh, see my sig. I've wanted to like Rift for so long, but it just feels so much like someone made a good game but forgot how to make a compelling one.

RIFT was a *crushing* disappointment; a shallow, loveless, generic MMO the likes of which hasn't been seen in a P2P format since, well, forever.

Eagerly awaiting: World of Darkness, ArcheAge.

• doodphacedoodphace Member UncommonPosts: 1,858
    Originally posted by Krylos
    Ive been debating returning to WoW (i know, i know) because the model for their raiding in WoD looks like it might actually keep a challenging level of content available to those who want it.  I was never a fan of flex raids, but with the static raid option there is hope i suppose?

WoW has never lacked challenging raids. Yes, they added easier versions of them over the years, but WoW normal/Heroic raiding has always been, and still is, the most mechanically complex and challenging of any MMO on the market. If endgame raiding is what you are looking for, there really is no reason what so ever to do it in any game on the market except WoW.

• Preacher26Preacher26 Member UncommonPosts: 381

Rift raiding is fun, nice change up if your burnt out on WoW or dislike the game for whatever reason.

I raided progressively back @ launch and recently returned. Yet to hit the new raids but I am loving the new housing and fishing additions.

• asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788

Rift has also had a pretty good end-game going for it.  The problem is that for the longest time, the people interested in that kind of thing stayed with WoW because Rift didn't really bring anything *new* to the table.  It was the ultimate WoW clone, like that.

My friends and I got into Rift pretty heavily a few years ago, once we realized Blizzard was changing course with Cata.  The raiding was good, but none of us really felt attached to our characters, or the world.  The lore was either really bad, or just poorly presented (still not sure where I stand on that one).  For us, we kind of realized that although raiding is lot of fun, it still required the context of a fun world outside of raiding to be meaningful.

Ultimately, no MMO has really done a good job of recapturing the best days of WoW, so we ended up starting a new Pathfinder RPG group.

You make me like charity

• MurlockDanceMurlockDance Member Posts: 1,223
    Originally posted by Dril

Heh, see my sig. I've wanted to like Rift for so long, but it just feels so much like someone made a good game but forgot how to make a compelling one.

I don't feel quite as adamant as you do about Rift's lack of soul, but I do think it lacks a little spark. It might be the artwork combined with the delivery of the gameworld. It is a little dull, just like WAR' was a little dull. Its game systems are really good though so in that sense I find the gameplay actually on par with recent WoW, better in some ways, worse in some ways. I find that WoW has really slid a lot so I want to emphasize the "recent WoW" part.

I am glad that people say that endgame is pretty good. One thing I really liked in Rift at release were the dungeons. If they have remained like they were at release, then I will be happy since they reminded me a lot of WoW's old dungeons and the fact that CC and knowing how to pull were actually required. If the raids are nice, that is even better.

Playing MUDs and MMOs since 1994.