Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Preview] General: Nosgoth - Light on Lore, But Shows Promise

MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

The Legacy of Kain series, with its two anti-heroes, Kain himself and Raziel, has been dormant since 2003. Psyonix takes the reins this time from central franchise developer Crystal Dynamics, in order to make a spinoff, albeit one that takes place within the series' land of Nosgoth. The game itself, called Nosgoth, is an upcoming free to play third-person competitive PvP game.

Read more of Christina Gonzalez's Nosgoth - Light on Lore, But Shows Promise.

Comments

• derek39derek39 Member UncommonPosts: 265
    I really want a new Soul Reaver.....

Monster Hunter since '04!
    Currently playing: MHW & MHGU

• ohgodtherats707ohgodtherats707 Member UncommonPosts: 85
    Ive been a fan of the series since Blood omen. I would like to see a remake of Soul reaver but with all the stuff they left out like the persistent world to explore they intended on adding This picture already ruins my hopes for the Game series  Vae Victis In deed
  • GrakulenGrakulen Staff WriterMMORPG.COM Staff LegendaryPosts: 894
    Originally posted by derek39

I really want either a new Soul Reaver or a new Blood Omen.

This I do not want.

• Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960

I got into the alpha for this, and I've yet to even bother playing it. Breaks my heart to see such an awesome IP with great (if a bit confusing ) lore turned into yet another MOBA in a market quickly becoming oversaturated with them.

Ah well. Gonna go pop my Soul Reaver soundtrack in for a listen.

Edit: I mean come on, people! Soul Reaver was one of the most revolutionary games of its time, and as far as I'm aware the first one to allow shifting between two worlds in real time! Completely blew my mind the first few times I did it.

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

• clumsytoes44clumsytoes44 Member UncommonPosts: 463
    What a way to rape an awesome ip. The only game in the series I didn't care for was blood omen 2, the rest are amazing.
  • MargraveMargrave Member RarePosts: 1,362

This mmoba is an abomination of the memories of Kain!

I wouldn't touch this at all. PVP only gameplay?! No thank you.

Another installment in the series, or a well done reboot, but NOT this excuse of a Kain game.

Nosgoth deserves better than this!

I also would love another one in the same 'Zelda-style' as the first blood omen. Loved it being a dark Zelda of sorts. Playing a bada$$ vampire in that style was sweet!

BAH!

• clumsytoes44clumsytoes44 Member UncommonPosts: 463
    I think a reboot of the original in 3d would be kinda cool, and I still play the original on my ps3. :)

I've been thinking about this, and it really pisses me off. Not the game itself really, but what will most likely happen with it. Chances are, it's going to fail (I may be wrong, just my opinion). If / when it does, the next time fans ask about LoK, the jackasses at whichever corporation is in charge of the IP will say, "We tried to revive the series, but Nosgoth's failure proves there's just not enough interest in it."

That thought really pisses me off. The future of the franchise more than likely hangs on the success or failure of a game which shares nothing with its predecessors other than a very loose connection with the setting.

They don't need to expand the fanbase. It's here already, and games similar to Soul Reaver such as Darksiders and Castlevania: Lords of Shadow have enough of a following that simply the mere promise of a game in that style would bring in new people, especially since Darksiders will most likely never be concluded. Give the fans of that game a new home in LoK, Lord knows the two have quite a bit in common.

So many big companies really are run by idiots.

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

• ohgodtherats707ohgodtherats707 Member UncommonPosts: 85
    The sad thing is I tried to find a way to buy the license I wanted to star working on a MMO set in the Relm of Nosgoth  When Kain  ruled as an empire. there would be 2 factions The great clans and the Sarafan. well maybe later down the road they will give up this failed Moba nonsence
  • ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426

How's this a MOBA? Do people call all PvP games MOBAs nowadays? This seems more similar to Team Fortress than DotA.

While I would like a new LoK game, Tomb Raider has been great since Crystal Dynamics got it, so I'm satisfied enough with the current situation. Defiance was a decent finale, even though all LoK games after Soul Reaver 2 were a bit disappointing.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Originally posted by Grakulen
    Originally posted by derek39

I really want either a new Soul Reaver or a new Blood Omen.

This I do not want.

completely agree. I played Nosgoth and i've been mourning the Legacy of Kain series ever since. One of my favorite franchises turned to ashes with this f2p game.

Originally posted by Scalpless

How's this a MOBA? Do people call all PvP games MOBAs nowadays? This seems more similar to Team Fortress than DotA.

While I would like a new LoK game, Tomb Raider has been great since Crystal Dynamics got it, so I'm satisfied enough with the current situation. Defiance was a decent finale, even though all LoK games after Soul Reaver 2 were a bit disappointing.

MOBA = Multiplayer Online Battle Arena. This game has multiple players, in an arena type setting, and you battle each other. Pretty straightforward.

LoK was merely the end of Raziel's story, and the true beginning of Kain's ability to carve a new destiny for himself and Nosgoth. His 'third option' had finally become fully viable, as Raziel's sacrifice allowed him to see the true puppet master whose machinations were leading everyone to their doom.

Or at least that's what I took from it. Let's face it, by the end of Defiance the timeline(s) were such a mess that they made the Legend of Zelda's look simplistic. It's a wonder the entire LoK universe didn't implode from all the paradoxes present.

Edit: Know what? Just go over to GOG.com and buy the whole series (sans Blood Omen 1) for under $20. You'll get a lot more enjoyment out of that as opposed to buying any of the borderline P2W crap in this game.

#IStandWithVic

• Langs78Langs78 Member UncommonPosts: 5

how can you all say this game will fail if you have not tried it ?

is it because it is a pvp game and you want a single player game?

• cmstachecmstache Member UncommonPosts: 1
    It's flat out ridiculous to judge this game if you haven't played it.  Psyonix and Square-Enix are both highly successful companies.  This game is NOT an MMO nor is it a MOBA.  It is an asymmetrical 3rd person shooter, which is highly original.  EVERY SINGLE published gameplay review has given it high marks.  And the game is very much NOT pay2win.  The entire design is set-up to keep it from being that way.   Try it before you knock it.