Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New Q&A at their site touches on some CE topics

IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

http://elderscrollsonline.com/en/news/post/2014/01/31/ask-us-anything-variety-pack-12

Do people who order the Imperial Edition gain a big gameplay advantage over those who don’t? 

No. With the Imperial Edition you get the opportunity to play as a rogue Imperial who has broken from their Daedra worshipping ways, and you get a unique racial skill line of equal gameplay impact to other races’ unique racial skill lines. As an Imperial you also get a mount and the automatic ability to craft items into the Imperial style. All non-Imperial races can also learn this ability after locating the corresponding racial motif.

Imperials do not begin the game in a unique starting location or via a separate quest, but they can start in any alliance as befits their status as un-aligned outcasts of their own Province. Being an Imperial includes a racial skill line that offers unique gameplay opportunities, but there is not an overall gameplay advantage. It is an opportunity to set yourself visually apart in the lands of Tamriel.

Gameplay benefits within this edition have been designed to avoid bestowing unfair advantages over players who do not purchase this special edition. This is cool content designed for some of our biggest fans who wish to have something different from other collector’s editions in the market. The only other alternative would have been to offer a collector’s edition that offers no in-game items whatsoever. That simply didn’t seem fair to fans who are excited about the game and want some special digital items.

Does the Imperial Horse have better stats than other horses in the game? 

No. The Imperial Horse that allows you to "travel with speed through Tamriel" travels at the same speed as other horses found within the game. Its stats are identical to the stats of other horses in the game, too.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
― CD PROJEKT RED

Comments

• CazNeergCazNeerg Member Posts: 2,198
    All seems like things common sense would tell people just from reading the list of included items.  Sad that they felt the need to "clarify" the obvious.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
    Through passion, I gain strength.
    Through strength, I gain power.
    Through power, I gain victory.
    Through victory, my chains are broken.
    The Force shall free me.

• CouganCougan Member UncommonPosts: 422
    Doesnt sound unreasonable
  • ReymasReymas Member Posts: 23
    How was this ever in question?  This is a no-brainer.
  • Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    Originally posted by CazNeerg
    All seems like things common sense would tell people just from reading the list of included items.  Sad that they felt the need to "clarify" the obvious.

And that clarification will likely fall on deaf ears anyway among those who are set on raging.

Thanks for the quotes and link!

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] UncommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Most games set out to have racial balance, but that is rarely ever the case.  We won't know how the Imperial ultimate and passives stack up against the others until they release that information and drop the NDA.
  • baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

i pretty much figured they wouldn't make the imperial racials more powerful like so many here insisted.

its reasons like that, that make me ignore the complainers when it comes to rumors and speculation.

i still wish they would have said if you can roll an imperial during the head start.

i will be an orc regardless but it would still be nice to know for the people that want to play an imperial.

• smokeybhasmokeybha Member UncommonPosts: 129
    So I wonder if you get a horse per character and if you have to be imperial to get the mount.
  • MoLoK_MoLoK_ Member UncommonPosts: 307

From the Q&A about the CE:

"This is cool content designed for some of our biggest fans"

From an interview with Matt Firor aug 2013:

Firor said that the subscription fee fits the sense of an open world that other pay models can't, and that a fee will let players "go where they want, be who they want and do what they want."

The thought process is, "We feel that putting pay gates between the player and the content at any point in-game ruins that feeling of freedom."

Only "the biggest fans" will get that freedom I guess... Pull up that creditcard folks! Heres montly fee AND cash shop! Total freedom!

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Originally posted by smokeybha
    So I wonder if you get a horse per character and if you have to be imperial to get the mount.

I only know of two ways of getting horses: the one you get from the CE and every character you make will get it and buying one for each character in the game... there may be quests or horse loot drops as well but I don't know for sure. You also will probably want 2 or 3 of them....

This is a copy/paste from an old Gamescon interview with Maria Alprando, one of the Devs - she's the Creature Designer as I recall:

Q: Can you give us more details about the mounts?
    A: They are all Horses. When you get a mount, and you can have multiple horses, you have to feed the horse every day. Depending on what you feed the horse, the horse will either get faster or it will be able to carry more inventory, you will get more inventory space, because you have a pack horse now … or you will be able to have a combat warhorse that would be resistant to caltrops, and getting knocked off your horse and things like that.

Q: Can the horse die?
    A: The horse will not die, but you will get dismounted from the horse. We’re also working on naming horses. You can have multiple different horses, so if you want three different type of horses, like, this is my adventuring horse, this is my pvp horse, this is my speed horse, you can only have one with you. And you have to go to the stables in order to change your horses. Either you have to go to the town or in Cyrodiil you have to go to your base.

Q: So you can’t just spawn it right there?
    A: No, you can’t just spawn a different mount wherever. You can’t just have all of them with you at once. Horse will change appearance as you feed it as well. So warhorses look different from pack horses.

Q: How do you feed it? You craft or…?
    A: You go to the stable and you talk with stable master, and the stable master asks what do you want to feed your horse. And you say I want to feed him apples, carrots or something else. You can look at somebody’s horse and see if they have armor on the horse, or a special saddle packs on it and differentiate what kind of horse it is.

Q: How do you get mounts? Do you just buy them?
    A: There is no level restriction, it is just pure cost. Right now it is 15 000 gold.

Q: Which is something that you can get in 5 levels?
    A: The last time I bought a horse I got it at level 11, but I grind-ed the gold for it. But you could just have your friend give you the gold, and you have a horse. It might be an issue for the first few days and afterwards everyone will be able to have one quickly. The horse you get is just a horse, you have to feed it to make it more usable. The gold is just a barrier to get a horse, and then you can buy multiples if you want to.

Edit: Here's the whole interview if you want to read it: http://teso.mmorpg-life.com/eso-interview-with-maria-aliprando/

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• superconductingsuperconducting Member UncommonPosts: 871

See.

All that hoopla for nothing.

Imperial edition offers NO MATERIAL ADVANTAGE over standard edition.

Everything is either the same stats or can be obtained through other means.

(...waits eagerly for badass Molag Bal statue...)

• squalleonahasqualleonaha Member Posts: 211
    Originally posted by Iselin

http://elderscrollsonline.com/en/news/post/2014/01/31/ask-us-anything-variety-pack-12

Do people who order the Imperial Edition gain a big gameplay advantage over those who don’t? 

No. With the Imperial Edition you get the opportunity to play as a rogue Imperial who has broken from their Daedra worshipping ways, and you get a unique racial skill line of equal gameplay impact to other races’ unique racial skill lines. As an Imperial you also get a mount and the automatic ability to craft items into the Imperial style. All non-Imperial races can also learn this ability after locating the corresponding racial motif.

Imperials do not begin the game in a unique starting location or via a separate quest, but they can start in any alliance as befits their status as un-aligned outcasts of their own Province. Being an Imperial includes a racial skill line that offers unique gameplay opportunities, but there is not an overall gameplay advantage. It is an opportunity to set yourself visually apart in the lands of Tamriel.

Gameplay benefits within this edition have been designed to avoid bestowing unfair advantages over players who do not purchase this special edition. This is cool content designed for some of our biggest fans who wish to have something different from other collector’s editions in the market. The only other alternative would have been to offer a collector’s edition that offers no in-game items whatsoever. That simply didn’t seem fair to fans who are excited about the game and want some special digital items.

No. The Imperial Horse that allows you to "travel with speed through Tamriel" travels at the same speed as other horses found within the game. Its stats are identical to the stats of other horses in the game, too.

all the question here doesnt answer the rage people have. its about SELLING A RACE exclusive to people to open their wallet with NDA still on. PEOPLE who wont preorder WILL not have ACCESS to that RACE. and so does people come to game later.

as for advantage, of course they have to make ALL CLASS/RACE BALANCE FOR PVP. asking an exclusive race have advantage than other race in a game with pvp is kind of stupid. of course THEY WILL SAY NO AND THEY HAVE TO MAKE THEM BALANCE.

This is what game director Matt Firor said at gamecon 2013 when he dfending sub fee:

" When you're in an Elder Scrolls game, you're in a world. We don't want players to hit monetization fees when they're in the world. It's like, I go into a dungeon, if I don't have access to the dungeon it pops up a window: you don't have access to this, go buy 50 credits. We didn't want that experience. That's not anElder Scrolls experience."

"Firor believes charging a monthly subscription ensures players have "100% of the game" and never run into payment walls"

and what happen? if you dont PAY for CE or PREORDER, you wont get to play imperial. and this is a RACE , not a cash shop COSMETIC.

source: http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/08/22/gamescom-2013-the-elder-scrolls-online-subscription-ensures-pla/

• StimzStimz Member UncommonPosts: 79
    Originally posted by squalleonaha

all the question here doesnt answer the rage people have. its about SELLING A RACE exclusive to people to open their wallet with NDA still on. PEOPLE who wont preorder WILL not have ACCESS to that RACE. and so does people come to game later.

as for advantage, of course they have to make ALL CLASS/RACE BALANCE FOR PVP. asking an exclusive race have advantage than other race in a game with pvp is kind of stupid. of course THEY WILL SAY NO AND THEY HAVE TO MAKE THEM BALANCE.

Except, you can upgrade to CE any time after release, so the pre-order part isnt true, anyone that ever gets the game van have imperial, if they so choose.

Originally posted by Iselin http://elderscrollsonline.com/en/news/post/2014/01/31/ask-us-anything-variety-pack-12   Do people who order the Imperial Edition gain a big gameplay advantage over those who don’t?  No. With the Imperial Edition you get the opportunity to play as a rogue Imperial who has broken from their Daedra worshipping ways, and you get a unique racial skill line of equal gameplay impact to other races’ unique racial skill lines. As an Imperial you also get a mount and the automatic ability to craft items into the Imperial style. All non-Imperial races can also learn this ability after locating the corresponding racial motif. Imperials do not begin the game in a unique starting location or via a separate quest, but they can start in any alliance as befits their status as un-aligned outcasts of their own Province. Being an Imperial includes a racial skill line that offers unique gameplay opportunities, but there is not an overall gameplay advantage. It is an opportunity to set yourself visually apart in the lands of Tamriel. Gameplay benefits within this edition have been designed to avoid bestowing unfair advantages over players who do not purchase this special edition. This is cool content designed for some of our biggest fans who wish to have something different from other collector’s editions in the market. The only other alternative would have been to offer a collector’s edition that offers no in-game items whatsoever. That simply didn’t seem fair to fans who are excited about the game and want some special digital items.   Does the Imperial Horse have better stats than other horses in the game?  No. The Imperial Horse that allows you to "travel with speed through Tamriel" travels at the same speed as other horses found within the game. Its stats are identical to the stats of other horses in the game, too.

you can still pre-order once the NDA comes off and people rage over this game regardless, big fucking deal.

Originally posted by Stimz

Except, you can upgrade to CE any time after release, so the pre-order part isnt true, anyone that ever gets the game van have imperial, if they so choose.

so what you mean a RACE is cosmetic thing that you can buy? if it not then where is the 100% of the game they promised with sub fee?

• SonOfValmarSonOfValmar Member Posts: 49

I would say that if buying the CE allows you to obtain the horse in game without having to go through the avenue of purchasing one with in-game gold (or spending any gold on training to ride it) then that can be seen as obtaining an advantage over others in the game who did not purchase the same package. Having one less gold sink in the game your character has to overcome is an advantage for a player if they chose to spend the real life monies to purchase the Imperial package.

This train of thought is, of course, subject to alteration should there be other ways to obtain mounts in game that are not reliant upon spending your gold. Also, if the gold sink from horses comes from having to purchase the ability to ride them, and not purchasing the horse itself, then having the Imperial Horse is less of an advantage if those who own the CE package have to also purchase the ability to ride.

Originally posted by Stimz Originally posted by squalleonaha Originally posted by Iselin http://elderscrollsonline.com/en/news/post/2014/01/31/ask-us-anything-variety-pack-12   Do people who order the Imperial Edition gain a big gameplay advantage over those who don’t?  No. With the Imperial Edition you get the opportunity to play as a rogue Imperial who has broken from their Daedra worshipping ways, and you get a unique racial skill line of equal gameplay impact to other races’ unique racial skill lines. As an Imperial you also get a mount and the automatic ability to craft items into the Imperial style. All non-Imperial races can also learn this ability after locating the corresponding racial motif. Imperials do not begin the game in a unique starting location or via a separate quest, but they can start in any alliance as befits their status as un-aligned outcasts of their own Province. Being an Imperial includes a racial skill line that offers unique gameplay opportunities, but there is not an overall gameplay advantage. It is an opportunity to set yourself visually apart in the lands of Tamriel. Gameplay benefits within this edition have been designed to avoid bestowing unfair advantages over players who do not purchase this special edition. This is cool content designed for some of our biggest fans who wish to have something different from other collector’s editions in the market. The only other alternative would have been to offer a collector’s edition that offers no in-game items whatsoever. That simply didn’t seem fair to fans who are excited about the game and want some special digital items.   Does the Imperial Horse have better stats than other horses in the game?  No. The Imperial Horse that allows you to "travel with speed through Tamriel" travels at the same speed as other horses found within the game. Its stats are identical to the stats of other horses in the game, too.
    all the question here doesnt answer the rage people have. its about SELLING A RACE exclusive to people to open their wallet with NDA still on. PEOPLE who wont preorder WILL not have ACCESS to that RACE. and so does people come to game later. as for advantage, of course they have to make ALL CLASS/RACE BALANCE FOR PVP. asking an exclusive race have advantage than other race in a game with pvp is kind of stupid. of course THEY WILL SAY NO AND THEY HAVE TO MAKE THEM BALANCE.
    so what you mean a RACE is cosmetic thing that you can buy? if it not then where is the 100% of the game they promised with sub fee?

of course its just cosmetic, the only difference is the racials. there is no special area or content just for imperials...its cosmetic only.

• PizzaGoblinPizzaGoblin Member UncommonPosts: 24

"The only other alternative would have been to offer a collector’s edition that offers no in-game items whatsoever."

What?  The only other alternative than offering a completely different race would be offering nothing in game at all?  How is this statement arguable?  Am I the only one who caught this?

I am not one of the biggest fans.  I do usually try most AAA games.  I am still on the fence with this one.

"If it keeps up, man will atrophy all his limbs but the push-button finger."

Frank Lloyd Wright

Originally posted by baphamet

Originally posted by Iselin http://elderscrollsonline.com/en/news/post/2014/01/31/ask-us-anything-variety-pack-12   Do people who order the Imperial Edition gain a big gameplay advantage over those who don’t?  No. With the Imperial Edition you get the opportunity to play as a rogue Imperial who has broken from their Daedra worshipping ways, and you get a unique racial skill line of equal gameplay impact to other races’ unique racial skill lines. As an Imperial you also get a mount and the automatic ability to craft items into the Imperial style. All non-Imperial races can also learn this ability after locating the corresponding racial motif. Imperials do not begin the game in a unique starting location or via a separate quest, but they can start in any alliance as befits their status as un-aligned outcasts of their own Province. Being an Imperial includes a racial skill line that offers unique gameplay opportunities, but there is not an overall gameplay advantage. It is an opportunity to set yourself visually apart in the lands of Tamriel. Gameplay benefits within this edition have been designed to avoid bestowing unfair advantages over players who do not purchase this special edition. This is cool content designed for some of our biggest fans who wish to have something different from other collector’s editions in the market. The only other alternative would have been to offer a collector’s edition that offers no in-game items whatsoever. That simply didn’t seem fair to fans who are excited about the game and want some special digital items.   Does the Imperial Horse have better stats than other horses in the game?  No. The Imperial Horse that allows you to "travel with speed through Tamriel" travels at the same speed as other horses found within the game. Its stats are identical to the stats of other horses in the game, too.
    all the question here doesnt answer the rage people have. its about SELLING A RACE exclusive to people to open their wallet with NDA still on. PEOPLE who wont preorder WILL not have ACCESS to that RACE. and so does people come to game later. as for advantage, of course they have to make ALL CLASS/RACE BALANCE FOR PVP. asking an exclusive race have advantage than other race in a game with pvp is kind of stupid. of course THEY WILL SAY NO AND THEY HAVE TO MAKE THEM BALANCE.

of course its just cosmetic, the only difference is the racials. there is no special area or content just for imperials...its cosmetic only.

since when people call a whole race is cosmetic. lol maybe from now when girl want to make up they can just bring a friend

• lunatiquezlunatiquez Member UncommonPosts: 381
    Imperial is not cosmetic, it's vanity. The difference with other races won't be noticeable though, so it's pretty much useless.
  • CazNeergCazNeerg Member Posts: 2,198
    Originally posted by inemosz
    Imperial is not cosmetic, it's vanity. The difference with other races won't be noticeable though, so it's pretty much useless.

Unless you are just attached to the idea of the Imperial, which some people are given how many years they have been able to play them in the rest of the Elder Scrolls games.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
    Through passion, I gain strength.
    Through strength, I gain power.
    Through power, I gain victory.
    Through victory, my chains are broken.
    The Force shall free me.

• Terminus-EstTerminus-Est Member UncommonPosts: 352
    I must confess I have gone from being excited to buy this game to actually hoping it is a huge failure. That's sad, but its how I feel.

since when people call a whole race is cosmetic. lol maybe from now when girl want to make up they can just bring a friend

again, there isn't any specific content dedicated to that race. other than having different racials, it's purely cosmetic and that's a factual statement.

i know you want to rage over this as much as possible, and you are free to do so.

but lets be accurate at least.

again, there isn't any specific content dedicated to that race. other than having different racials, it's purely cosmetic and that's a factual statement.

i know you want to rage over this as much as possible, and you are free to do so.

but lets be accurate at least.

dude, a whole new race is not cosmetic, its not me but many other people in this topic said so.try to read back 1-2 page. and i dont rage, its just you trying to defend your point that a whole playable race with it own armor set and racial skill is just cosmetic.

i think the one need to be accurate here is you. lol, to you, other races is cosmetic also with just small starting area content.