Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Preview] EverQuest Next: Landmark: The Sandbox MMO Begins Alpha TODAY

BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

Sony Online Entertainment has made no bones about the fact that EverQuest Next: Landmark is going to be something special and a true sandbox title that will cater to a huge variety and type of MMO player. We had the opportunity to spend time as the first alpha group in EQN:L and for a chance to chat with the developers about the game that kicks off the Founders Alpha later today. That's right the Landmark Alpha begins for Founders TODAY! Perhaps the most pervasive thought is that there truly is something for everyone in SOE's most ambitious game to date.

Read more of Suzie Ford's EverQuest Next: Landmark - A True Sandbox MMO with Something For Everyone.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

Comments

• BlinkennBlinkenn Member UncommonPosts: 166
    Good, something to do besides watch the Pantheon Kickstarter!

• Keg0413Keg0413 Member UncommonPosts: 18

So they really are getting people to pay to build their world and structures for them?  I am both impressed and appalled at the same time.

It's literally a better skinned Minecraft.  Unbelievable people paid hundreds of dollars to get in on this.

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194

I wish I could see more of the rest of the game-play so I can make up my mind on this game

They really show very little on their videos.

• deveilbladdeveilblad Member UncommonPosts: 193
    So the alpha starts tonight and the keys aren't even sent and no on has started downloading the game... ? because I sure didn't get mine...
  • sk8chalifsk8chalif Member UncommonPosts: 666

To get in the alpha today you need to bought the founder pack , its not an open beta, its alpha.

~The only opinion that matters is your own.Everything else is just advice,~

I bought the Founder's pack lol... I wouldn't be wondering where my key/download links are if I didn't ...
  • CazNeergCazNeerg Member Posts: 2,198
    Smed's tweets said the emails go out later today, they are still working on server issues.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
    Through passion, I gain strength.
    Through strength, I gain power.
    Through power, I gain victory.
    Through victory, my chains are broken.
    The Force shall free me.

• Bastian_StarBastian_Star Member Posts: 36
    Originally posted by deveilblad
    So the alpha starts tonight and the keys aren't even sent and no on has started downloading the game... ? because I sure didn't get mine...

I'd check my SOE account if I were you...the last time I made a purchase directly from a developer there wasn't a key because the purchase was already linked to my account. I haven't purchased this...just a thought.

They could've just said the alpha begins tomorrow lol... If they send the keys later this evening, you still have to download the thing, which I don't think will be 500 MB lol ... Probably 7-8 GB or so. That doesn't take 15 minutes to download lol. (with Canada's internet speed it doesn't, don't quote my post saying how awesome your U.S. 50 MB/S connection is...)
  • sk8chalifsk8chalif Member UncommonPosts: 666

sorry , the way you writed that looked like you expected a key for a alpha without buy it,

the alpha start tonight,  do not expect to get the key late tonight. i guess they do not wanted everyones charging in at the same time,.

~The only opinion that matters is your own.Everything else is just advice,~

• EndoRobotoEndoRoboto Member Posts: 275
    Or they are having issues and can't get anyone in earlier. Lol if you think they have everything under control.
  • atticon40atticon40 Member Posts: 33
    Great video interview on the Alpha here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmeqnJKucYY

• syriinxsyriinx Member UncommonPosts: 1,383
    Originally posted by deveilblad
    They could've just said the alpha begins tomorrow lol... If they send the keys later this evening, you still have to download the thing, which I don't think will be 500 MB lol ... Probably 7-8 GB or so. That doesn't take 15 minutes to download lol. (with Canada's internet speed it doesn't, don't quote my post saying how awesome your U.S. 50 MB/S connection is...)

SoE offers a streaming client, you can start playing EQ2 within minutes.  Not sure if the tech will allow for the same thing with EQNL though, but its something they have done in the past.

• Lo-KiLo-Ki Member UncommonPosts: 98
    I bought the Trailblazer Pack what seems like eons ago.  Awesome news that we can finally use and experience the Landmark side of things.

• syriinxsyriinx Member UncommonPosts: 1,383

I caved and bout the $60 pack.  Im sure Im not the only one today.

Im more curious about the process, they mentioned 20,000 people.  This is unheard of for an alpha.  And that number is probably going to increase a lot this weekend.

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872

Very interesting... they should run an official stream every now and then.

I'm afraid that after many years this is the first time i could fall for the hype again.

• newbinatornewbinator Member Posts: 780
    Originally posted by Keg0413

So they really are getting people to pay to build their world and structures for them?  I am both impressed and appalled at the same time.

It's literally a better skinned Minecraft.  Unbelievable people paid hundreds of dollars to get in on this.

I wouldn't pay for it. But there's always someone who will. Yay capitalism!

• TheHiveLeaderTheHiveLeader Video MaestroMember RarePosts: 234
    FYI, there will be no keys sent to you. If you purchased a pack, it is linked to your account. They will be emailing out instructions on how to download/play later today. (From official forums)
  • muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585
    excited.  I hope they add a pvp server option in the future. 
  • smokeybhasmokeybha Member UncommonPosts: 129

Does it matter which pack I buy? Will the $19.99 one work?

• TygranirTygranir Member Posts: 741
    Originally posted by smokeybha

For Beta, yes. For Alpha, need to spend $100.

SWTOR Referral Bonus!
    Referral link
    7 day subscriber level access
    Returning players get 1 free server transfer

Leveling assistance items given to new player!

See all perks Here

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    How much was these founder's packs that got early Alpha Access?

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• jdnycjdnyc Member UncommonPosts: 1,643
    No one else get the Founder's pack.  I don't need any more competition trying to download the client from the server.  lol
    Originally posted by Tygranir
    Originally posted by smokeybha

For Beta, yes. For Alpha, need to spend $100.

The 60$ one gives you alpha too.

• severiusseverius Member UncommonPosts: 1,516

Looks interesting.  Too bad neither I nor my guild will be giving this a shot.

275 of us, while not the hundreds of thousands that Smedley is concerned about, isn't something to sneeze at, especially with a combined gaming experience of nearly 7000 years lol.  Oh well.  Have fun folks!  

At east until Smed stabs you in the back and tells you that you asked for it. :)