Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Interview] Guild Wars 2: How Edge of the Mists Adds Flavor and Choice to WvW

BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

Guild Wars 2 adds another place for players to clash with the arrival of Edge of the Mists on Tuesday. We had the chance to chat with Devon Carver about the new content, as well as what players might be able to expect once they can set foot on the new map. Read on for what you need to know before the February 4th launch.

Read on for the full details on How Edge of the Mists Adds Flavor and Choice to WvW.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

Comments

• nastyjmannastyjman Member Posts: 161
    My Necro will have a blast fearing people off the edges.
  • KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292
    Haven't played in a while, will go back to check this out.

• KaerellaKaerella Member UncommonPosts: 27
    The most important bit is that we will now get shown how long the queue is, which will certainly make life easier - it took them long enough.  A new map to check out sounds useful, though many WvW people just go in a borderland until they can get into the main map, so this just adds one more option.  Now, how about that "WvW rankings consolidated across the account, rather than on individual characters" pledge...?
  • tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001
    Originally posted by Kaerella
    The most important bit is that we will now get shown how long the queue is, which will certainly make life easier - it took them long enough.  A new map to check out sounds useful, though many WvW people just go in a borderland until they can get into the main map, so this just adds one more option.  Now, how about that "WvW rankings consolidated across the account, rather than on individual characters" pledge...?

Well if you're in one of the top tier realms, odds are you have quite a long queue for all the Borderlands, too. The number of people queuing is a huge help, of course, since as it is now you have no idea which Borderland might have the shortest queue.

I'm a fan of small scale WvW myself, so I will definitely be checking the new map and not just to wait to get on the existing maps.

Hopefully at some point in the future they will redo two of the borderlands maps so we would have four unique maps to fight on, plus of course OS and EotM.

• GuyClinchGuyClinch Member CommonPosts: 485
    Cool. Though this sounds crazy - I wish they made it battleground style where you could win or lose the map in a set period and then you would see a scoreboard and then it would reset.
  • nastyjmannastyjman Member Posts: 161
    Now I'm excited for this. Devon Carver had said that EotM will be region specific, meaning the all servers that are blue will represent the blue side, as well as the red team and green team. I was fearing that EotM would be a ghost town, similar to opposing BLs when you're queued up for EB.
  • jakinjakin Member UncommonPosts: 243
    Originally posted by threefeet

how does this help? it doesnt fix the queues, it just puts people in a different queue to distract them from the fact that they are still in the queue for the BG they would rather be in, thats on a server that still has not been upgraded/fixed to handle the number of players who actually want to play the game.

If a player is only interested in participating in the WvW gameplay format (i.e. PvE and the arena PvP is uninteresting to them) this map gives them a place to play, where otherwise they are forced to queue and find something else to do (or just not play).  That's an improvement.  Not to mention the increased transparency of the queue system itself is immensely helpful.

want to have this 'fix' the queue times Anet style? make all the server achieves count in it. thats the only way their idea can 'fix' it. and instead of selecting only certain guilds to test this, they should have randomly chosen players who had purchased the game about release time w/ wvw xp under their belt for their input. the fact that most of the guilds in it will be biased toward their style of play never came up in their deciding this, clearly. and every guild from my server prefers the 'karma train' garbage that is pve; that is not the way wvw was designed to be played.

This sounds more like someone upset they couldn't test than any kind of cogent argument.  How is random selection any better or worse than volunteering.  At least volunteers are self-selected to be interested in the content and gametype.  As for style of play, every player in every group has a different view on what is the "proper" way to play WvW.

in the reality based world outside of the greasy teenage devs working on it, the best way to fix long queue times is to upgrade the wvw servers so they can not only handle more players but reduce the lag in battles significantly. many times that god-awful lag is what can make or break a win in a big fight. and i have noticed that individual players do not go to any given BG, all players who enter a BG are chosen as a group of others who are also queued for that particular BG, which significantly adds to the queue times.

Tough to take you seriously when you start ranting in this fashion friend. 

The fact of the matter is that there is a finite number of characters and effects you can pack into any given area on any given hardware.  That limit is a lot lower than most people would like, but it's a direct effect of having gameplay that is more action-oriented.  EVE Online can get away with many many more players interacting because their interactions are simpler and less time-dependent than Guild Wars 2 combat is.  In truth, map caps should probably be lower than they are, but they can't do that without releasing more maps to play in - which is exactly what they're doing here.

As to your queue voodoo there - now that you can see the queue positions and time you can see whether you are correct.  What you're probably seeing is a group that queue's together and thus are all in line one after the other, then when a group of players quit a BG, that new group all gets in at once.

the clear lack of vision and direction in this game is what has made me move on from it, which is unfortunate because so many of us who had high hopes for it during the first year have seen that hope dashed; if there was anything significant coming or planned for the future they wouldnt have created a thread in their forums specifically for player feedback on the living world, though there are hundreds of thousands of posts directly related to that topic already.

You moved on because the vision and direction that ArenaNet has for their game does not fundamentally match what you enjoy.  No harm, no foul.  To say that they don't have one is disingenuous at best, outright ignorant of reality at worst. 

Then to criticize them for gathering feedback (in a focused fashion rather than scattered across a thousand threads) when just two paragraphs above you were saying they need to randomly invite testers to provide feedback seems contradictory.

• NephaeriusNephaerius Member UncommonPosts: 1,671
    ANet has no clue where they're going with this game.  Probably why most of the folks that helped start the company have jumped ship now.  How about they actually make the original WvW fun and meaningful rather than tossing out a new map that will be just a pointless to fight over?

Steam: Neph

• illspawnillspawn Member UncommonPosts: 81
    What a waste of resources. Ignore the real problem and jus try to divert the attention of the players.
  • My honest opinion: I played some time from launch and for a few weeks it honestly was fun. People were creative and battles were fought. Then some idiots figured out how to farm the game for fast epics and I don't know what. So when you talk about adding flavor to WvW, it really is irrelevant to me because there is no WvW, there is farm v farm. Looking at some other replies it still is like that. Maybe there were better servers out there (I was in top3 server), but also I don't feel like it is justified to let me pay for your messed up community, ArenaNet. I buy the game for fun, and it is YOUR game and YOUR game system.