Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Editorial] Elder Scrolls Online: Thoughts on the Collector's Edition Controversy

Comments

• PigozzPigozz Member UncommonPosts: 886
    Originally posted by killion81

So basically, be a good little consumer and buy what you're told to buy.  Don't question things like honesty or integrity, those are "big issues", so they don't matter.  You're only going to harm your personal potential to be entertained if you focus on things you don't agree with, so just overlook them.  Right... 

This actually IS a big deal.  These large companies set industry wide precedents on what type of behavior is ok.  This will affect the people that choose not to buy TESO, if TESO is considered a success within the industry.  It's these sort of decisions that end up causing significant harm to a hobby I enjoy and it the end have serious potential to degrade my future enjoyment.  A lot of people already acknowledge the garbage cash grab releases that are becoming prevalent due to past "successes".

Exactly

I think I actually spent way more time reading and theorycrafting about MMOs than playing them

• KaosProphetKaosProphet Member Posts: 379
    Originally posted by Gdemami

Originally posted by Kevyne-Shandris

I believe gamers should fight, because where gaming looks to be going isn't a pleasant sight.

I assume then in your twisted logic making money isn't a pleasant sight for your business because there is more and more money thrown on online entertainment every year so yeah, they(devs) do something right apparently.

Not your cup of tea? No problem, no one is obliged to satisfy you.

But that's exactly what this is.  ZOS is outright caving to satisfy a vocal minority, for a couple of extra short-term bucks.  That it's a minority I'm part of doesn't make me feel any better about it.

• LuposDavalteLuposDavalte Member UncommonPosts: 91

You know if a game is of a high enough quality I would gladly pay $50 a month for a premium MMO experience.  What I've seen so far indicates that this game is treading very close to that ideal and given that higher sub fees are a clear barrier to purchase I don't see  a problem with Zenimax's decision.  This isn't Pay 2 win content and I've gladly ponied up the cash for the.... pony...

If the game is absolutely packed with high quality engaging content with a story that keeps me wanting more I could easily justify this cost.  It appears that ESO may tick this box.

If the game has meaningful PvP that keeps me coming back for more with a highly competitive and tactical feel then I'd suggest that this is another tick in the box.

We're finally getting a game that allows us to explore Tamriel, to revisit Daggerfall, Morrowind, Skyrim and Cyrodil.  Sure it isn't the sandbox open world that people are crying for but this is such a rich IP with a team that is utterly dedicated to delivering us the lore we've come to know and love that I'm also prepared to pay.

But the price is what $15 a month? Sign me up for a pre-order, get me my mudcrab and imperial romanesque manskirt.  Even if this game lasts me 3 months I've still spent less on it than the cable bill alone.

Sub fees and box prices for games have barely shifted in the last decade and I see no problem if ZOS delivers us a premium experience worthy of the coin spent.

Some of you are tighter than a fishes arsehole...

• goemoegoemoe Member UncommonPosts: 272

"I’m just one voice in the crowd though. What about you? After 48 hours are you less enraged by this commercial injustice? Do you think the whole thing has been blown out of proportion and just a tad bit silly."

Everythings fine. I can't understand all this complaining, but after all, I am no TES worshipper, I just like to play good games. ESO does not shine as bright, as I would like to see it, but it is certainly worth buying it for me and most of my guild. This is not about a religion, it is about busines. If we would not have been allowed to play what we want, where we it, I am not sure if i had ordered the game at all. Imperials? I don't care about them. And like you, I don't work for free, so I don't mind paying for other peoples work too.

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Originally posted by rguilbert

I would still like some company to think outside of the box, but that's a risky thing to do.  Big companies don't take risks for love of an idea or genre. 

That isn't thinking outside of the box, that is plain stupidity. No one sane is going to going to gamble +100M investment.

No one is taking risks for the "love of an idea or genre", no one. There are only people who have to risk something and those who don't.

Originally posted by Kevyne-Shandris

Yes, they are obliged to satisfy their customers...

They are satisfying their target group, their customers. You are just not one of them and apparently can't deal with it.

They do not need to cater to you personally. They are not obliged to obey to your whims. There are others whom they cater and try to please and it apparently works very well for them.

You are not a center of the universe.

Originally posted by KaosProphet

ZOS is outright caving to satisfy a vocal minority, for a couple of extra short-term bucks. 

Market growth implies that it isn't short-term profit, it works in long term, making it a trend.

• UnleadedRevUnleadedRev Member UncommonPosts: 568

$99 for a crab to run after me like a puppy dog?

lol! They can keep the CE for all I care. The game is just not different or good enough to warrant a regular purchase.

Can you guess how I know this?

• moguy2moguy2 Member Posts: 337
    On a good note... All of yall will be buying it regardless of this debacle. 
  • handlewithcarehandlewithcare Member Posts: 322

I am not going to buy the imperial addition its overpriced and there is no way ill buy anything in the cash shop,wish I could say screw the subscription fee.

instead of buying the imperial addition ill buy diablo 3 reaper of souls makes more sense.

ill be playing diablo 3 and still be able to play ESO when it releases and I think we that are going to roll with normal caracters should try and be better than the pay to be better imperial snobs.

• DiamnonddustDiamnonddust Member UncommonPosts: 11
    I kinda got surprised in a good way them removing the locks on races. I think it was a good decision and also mentioned it in the feedback I gave to them. The exclusive race is a mixed feeling but hey this seems to become popular to do more and more mmo's seem to us expensive packages to sell an exclusive race. Most recent was neverwinter (i know f2p) with their 900 dollar worth exclusive.
  • gunmanvladgunmanvlad Member UncommonPosts: 281

I have to say I'm on the negative side of the wall on this one.

If you're gonna charge a box price AND a subscription, you should unlock the entire game. Or at the very least have NO game-play affecting elements outside of it. Any cash-shop item or "pack" (or CE exclusive!) that offers a different gameplay experience from someone who did not pay the $$$ is simply unfair. 

They can sell 999999 minis for all I care, or 999999 armor skins, but as long as you make people pay to get races or pay to unlock features (cross alliance races), over and above everything they need to pay anyway, then you are simply being greedy. Lucky for them there are tons of underpaid people in the world who enjoy wasting money they don't really have. It does not make it right tho.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

This must have caught EA by surprise. Not even them have thought of this...

• KaronethKaroneth Member UncommonPosts: 12

Until release, ZOS can change the game as much as they like, as it is not even finished yet.  So talk about what they told us a year ago, is just that, talk before they had finalized the design.  Anyone preordering is of course taking the small risk that it could change prior to their receipt of the game.

I am thrilled that the Standard and CE editions both come with a generous pre-purchase package.  In addition, the boxed CE is a good 50% cheaper than Skyrim's was for similar content.  Would I have liked a soundtrack?  Yes, but Skyrim's soundtrack was also an additional purchase.  I fail to see how ZOS is ripping us off when they have added more to the packages than most anyone anticipated, and the prices are either exactly what was expected, or actually lower in the case of the CE versions.

DDO had a Limited Edition that also offered small in-game perks so a CE for an MMO with such is not unprecedented.  It also had a Preorder Bonus which differed by vendor so some bought copies from 2 stores to have both benefits on their account.  Thankfully ZOS is giving us all the bonuses no matter where we purchase from.

As far as the racial unlocks, well, I have a lot to say about that, so mush it should be another post, and fully support that decision although I agree that it would have been best to simply have designed ESO like that from the start.  The next best time to do that was as soon as possible and out of my friends and guild mates, two are on the fence and dozens of others are very pleased with the unlock. 

Guildmaster, Brotherhood of Redemption
    http://www.borguild.com/
  • blazzen67blazzen67 Member Posts: 65
    i was reading this tread till i came across one person complaining about the sub fee ont top of everything else..and i went off...i apologize, i was tired yesterday and was on many website filled with people complaining about the sub fee and i had enough of it at that time :)
  • KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072
    Originally posted by JJ82
    Originally posted by Kuinn
    Originally posted by Kuinn
    Originally posted by someforumguy

This. The free faction choice for a price makes their lore for this particilar game a joke. Just so they can sell a few extra pre orders?

Not to mention that this is day 1 DLC for a SUBBASED game. That is one step beyond day 1 DLC for a boxpriced game.  

You do realize that all sub games add extra races in expansion packs that cost money ON TOP OF the sub?

So Expansions are now the same as pre-orders. As I have pointed out before, people will excuse anything no matter what with the craziest excuses imaginable.

Wut? I dont even know how you managed to mix pre-orders to expansions with what I said. Ease on the hate a bit so you dont see things that are not there pal.

Right, you replied to someone pointing out that the CE is allowing faction choice as a pre-order with "sub games add extra races"  and after being pointed out that you are flat out wrong in your comparison you want to pretend you didn't do it. The quotes are right there^

Extra races in expansions have nothing to do with an extra race in a pre-order. One is an exclusive, the other comes with every purchase because its what the game is based off of, the expansion race, area and quests. Not even apples to oranges, more like apples to pizza.

Yes the quotes are indeed there, you get the Imperial race with CE. It has nothing to do with pre-orders, the game does not give you extra races of anykind by pre-ordering. Even if it did you can always cancel the pre-order if you dont like.

Edit; Oh and let me clarify before you go bonkers over something that is not there again: Free faction choise is not a DLC since it does not cost anything (pre-ordering does not cost anything), however the Imperial can be perceived as such since it costs money and actually adds something to the game (just like expansions and their new races).

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072

You just don't like the fact that not everyone kisses up to developers every idiotic idea.

No, I simply disagree with your opinion. You have a huge problem here, I dont. To me this "bigger than life controversy" just seems silly since I barely see it.

• AmbrosiaAmorAmbrosiaAmor Member Posts: 915
    Matt Fiore becoming the next James Ohlen!

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629
    Originally posted by AmbrosiaAmor

says the GW2 player

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• MirandelMirandel Member UncommonPosts: 143

If this pre-order deal is a success it bodes ill for the future of MMOs.

Companies will start deliberately locking content and developing games in a way that you will have to pay even more to unlock.

You hate F2P because its nickel and diming? Just wait, now you will have to buy a game, pay a sub and still have to pay more to unlock content!

QFTT ! 

• danisheraserdanisheraser Member UncommonPosts: 33

Oh my god. People and all their doomsday prophecies. Give me a break!

Yes it could be discussed if all races should be allowed in each alliance, but they chose not to. It gives the game an edge. Like it or not.

Then they decide, that people who wishes to pay extra for the game, gets the benefit, if you chose to call it that, to play in any alliance they want. What the hell is wrong with that? Because of this, some here, foresee the doom of the game. It's so pathetic to read.

And since when is it new to pay extra for something, even though the game is subscription based?

Paying extra for stuff, that does not impact the actual gamebalance, does not bother me one bit. I am just glad, people wishes to do so. That means the developers earns more money, to finance extra content for all of us.

I am no "fanboy", but a player who sees too many bored people on these forums, who can't find anything constructive to say, besides flame a game that isn't even launched yet. Your a bunch a spoiled brats.

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100

I think people who are paying more should get something more tangible. These days you cannot expect games not to make money off everything they possibly can. It's the way things are . We are not going to see things like 10 years before . Things have changed unless this genre is really in the slumps like housing in real life people are not going to see deals. We will continue to see more and more things we normally see included in a subbed game being separated and only available by paying. When you wait for months and then try it will be freely given .So option wait don't play when it releases.

What we paid for and what we get is diminishing for items in demand. It's economics and it's the law of demand and supply. When someone has something others want they can demand the price they think you will pay and obviously Zenimax sees that fans of Elder Scrolls will pay and they would be fools not to capitalize on it.

Chamber of Chains
  • killion81killion81 Member UncommonPosts: 995
    Originally posted by AmbrosiaAmor

I have to admit that I'll laugh when people start calling him Matt Fuhrer.  I haven't seen it yet, but you know it's going to happen.

Edit: I should qualify this.  I don't believe it is accurate or correct to do so, I just know that it's going to happen eventually.  The name lends itself to the manipulation.

• apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
    Don't really care. It's a non issue being blown out of proportion. I've read people say hey are good with cosmetic items but the imperial race is little more than that. Just like the drow in Neverwinter. It's nothing just bored peeps screaming coz they want to

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

• akronakron Member UncommonPosts: 38

Jesus Robert Lashly. I just wanted to read your thoughts about the matter but 3/4th of the article is a recap over what happened over the past days, followed by a lavish description of what the Collector's Edition offers. Only the last few paragraphs of a 2 page (!!) article are dedicated to what the article should just be about: Your thoughts.