Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is leveling fast like most recent game?

zanfirezanfire Member UncommonPosts: 969

The one big thing i noticed (and hate) about psot WoW MMOs is how stupidly fast people cap out. As a person who played EQOA/FFXI i understand that leveling should take its time and that events and fun stuff should be sprinkled about the levels so you dont feel the absolute need to just hit "endgame". This also keeps lots of people from hitting endgame very quick and burning through the little content thats out at launch. No game has done this as horribly as a game i recently gave up on...FFXIV. me and a few friends capped in a couple weeks playing at a modest pace for a group of guys who work full time, but enjoy playing a couple hours a night and more on weekends.

I like a lot of the things this game seems to be offering compared to FFXIV (open world bosses, open world dungeons, branching dungeons, hard to get items in place, not locking out everything on giant timers..ect) Its also part of a series we have all played and enjoyed. So (if you can) tell me how fast/slow the leveling has been feeling so far, or how long the devs have said (is this built to level fast for casuals?) Any games to compare the speed to?

Comments

• MpfiveMpfive Member UncommonPosts: 308
    Without breaking NDA it's . . . w:D
  • zanfirezanfire Member UncommonPosts: 969
    Originally posted by Mpfive
    Without breaking NDA it's . . . w:D

I actually got into the beta and at the time i had to RMA my CPU for crapping out, so i got to watch my friend play a little, but not enough for any real impression. The next beta i got a code for the email...which wouldnt work so i just said screw it.

Happen to know if there are any beta tests soon?

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

Level? Don't know.. no one does, even those that were in the beta. It depends on the curve at higher levels.

Fully maxing out all skill lines and learning every ability though? That'll probably take some time.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Im just hoping like most MMOs these days they DONT go the route of making it quick and easy to hit w/e the cap is and try to deal with only endgame. I know people will hit cap fast, there is always people who do that, but for the majority i hope it takes a while. Every game has the same issue, people get to cap within the month, tear through "endgame" and the devs can make content fast enough for the majority of folks they led to cap so quickly....then they go f2p/shutdown.

• SmikisSmikis Member UncommonPosts: 1,045
    Originally posted by Vannor

Level? Don't know.. no one does, even those that were in the beta. It depends on the curve at higher levels.

Fully maxing out all skill lines and learning every ability though? That'll probably take some time.

um as far as I recall there were only 2 ways to earn skill points, none of those added any length to gameplay... nor allows you to learn unlimited amount of skills, its just talent system....

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026

I can only state what is in a wiki:

It has been said by devs that it should take about 120 hours of average game play to reach 50. This isn't a reflection of devouring all content in your faction necessarily. You can explore other factions later to what ever degree you wish to continue this style of game play. It should be noted that there is only about 5-6 hours of core story line so the majority of leveling through quests will have to be found through exploring.

I have no idea of the rate of xp gain through pvp only but it has been said it can level you from 10-50 if you desire.

You stay sassy!

• PyatraPyatra Member Posts: 644
    120 hours, so if you completely plowed through content and knew where everything was (unless you get sidetracked like the previous ESO exploration fun) and you put in 5 hours a day, every day, it would take you about a month.  Since you have to look for the Skyshards with exploration, crafting, harvesting, you are looking at a huge chunk of time beyond that.  In most MMOs I can hit everything and still end up with 4-5 max level toons (much faster with GW2).  Yeah, this is going to be a well paced game since they said there isn't really any grinding until the 50+ and 50++ faction areas.  Also it may depend on your character build (I assume something in this game has a run boost spell or heavy armor makes you walk a tiny bit slower).
    hopefully thats true, sick of playing games where everyone is at cap in a couple weeks and are baffled why there is no content...just a poor choice of design by the devs to sell boxes to casual players (who dont stick around anyways).
  • sethman75sethman75 Member UncommonPosts: 212

Agree OP

For me there is nothing worse than capping in a month and running the same old dungeons over and over.

What a boring game and not very smart from the developers pov.

I wish it was an accomplishment to reach cap and it took months to do, not weeks

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026

I suppose it took take months depending on if you find enough to do outside of xp progression. Currently though horizontal progression may be far more limited due to content being heavily quest driven attached to xp gains. Could be much different if content additions are more "sandbox" than quest/story content. Hopefully things like housing offer such time sinks and perhaps greater expansion of crafting.

The pvp option in game is certainly an attempt at adding mechanics separate from more vertical progression content which is developer dependent. 

You stay sassy!

ugh...dont get me started on the "ilevel" and vertical climb crap, just forces you to do stuff in order and gives you no reason to go back making stuff useless right away...great thats a sweet sword...now throw it on the ground, it gonan be replaced by that slightly better version in the next 20 mins

• artemisentr4artemisentr4 Member UncommonPosts: 1,431
    Originally posted by Smikis
    Originally posted by Vannor

um as far as I recall there were only 2 ways to earn skill points, none of those added any length to gameplay... nor allows you to learn unlimited amount of skills, its just talent system....

Once you reach end game you will only have roughly 30% or so of your skills. You will be able to earn skills through all the end game activities it is said. The 50+/50++ content, Master dungeons, PvP, Adventure zones and crafting will earn you skill points. Along with Veteran points and drops for gear and alliance points for PvP.

But length of game play from 1 to 50 will depend on how you play. I would guess that those that take there time and explore will have more skills morphed and more gear leveled up. So it may not pay to rush this time.

“How many people long for that "past, simpler, and better world," I wonder, without ever recognizing the truth that perhaps it was they who were simpler and better, and not the world about them?”
    R.A.Salvatore

• EntinerintEntinerint Member UncommonPosts: 868

It's goldilocks for me.

Not as fast as WoW but not as slow as EQ.

• keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191
    Best advice I can give is don't worry about what other players do. Some make a hobby of ignoring everything and getting to max level in under 1 week. It will happen again. Just play it like it was meant to be played. Explore, PVE, dabble in some PVP, craft, fish, read some lore books, listen to the story without hitting the space bar, run around town seeing what vendors offer, chat with guildies about Games of Thrones, etc. For me it takes forever to get to end level with any MMO lol.

There Is Always Hope!

Originally posted by keithian
    Best advice I can give is don't worry about what other players do. Some make a hobby of ignoring everything and getting to max level in under 1 week. It will happen again. Just play it like it was meant to be played. Explore, PVE, dabble in some PVP, craft, fish, read some lore books, listen to the story without hitting the space bar, run around town seeing what vendors offer, chat with guildies about Games of Thrones, etc. For me it takes forever to get to end level with any MMO lol.

Not that i care what others do, but like my example with the new FFXIV, you had little to nothing to do event wise  until cap...they built the game to bascally speed through to 50. That  kind of gameplay were they act like the "real game" is at cap is getting tiring and when you can play sort of casually and you and your friends are at cap in 2 weeks...its dissapointing. That game will suffer because they wont be able to have enough endgame to keep people playing every 3 months for a patch. They hurt the game by making it so you have little to do precap.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] UncommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • vinnygvinnyg Member UncommonPosts: 41
    Good post, id also like to say, if you plan to just hit level cap like some ppl do, you know rush to be the first pro leveler lol then you will level fast, but there is plenty to do and if you are involving yourself into everything it will take you a while to level. Me personally i dont rush levels i try to keep everything on par, meaning i like to craft my gear as i level so i have to maintain my gathering and craft levels as i go which takes some time, but its very rewarding and fun.
  • VonatarVonatar Member UncommonPosts: 723
    Level is somewhat irrelevant. Being level 50 is not "cap", but rather having your skill lines maxed is (and that means unlocking all relevant lines plus getting enough skill points for all the relevant skills).
  • dontadowdontadow Member UncommonPosts: 1,005

I like even leveling. I want it to take the same amount of time for me to reach level 4 to 5 asit is to reach 56 to 57. When the leveling becomes atrociouasly slower at later levels it feels like bait and switch.  In old school RPGs, you leveled the same moderate pace throughout the game.

If I have to pay a subscription fee, I don't want the game company to artificially place mechanics that are there simply to keep me on board for months.