Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Reminiscent of Swtors pre launch.

Comments

• spizzspizz Member UncommonPosts: 1,971
    Originally posted by DSWBeef
    Anyone else worried? NDA is still up beta testers have only tested the first 20 levels or so. Something seems fishy to me. Anyone else feel the same?

NDA up is not fishy for me, every mmorpg which I was beta testing had their NDA up until it changed to open beta.

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    Originally posted by TinglySidewinda

Exactly how I feel about the game... went from pumped to very skeptical.

Pump those preorder sales asap!

ESO VS WILDSTAR... for me its WILDSTAR now.

Being the MMORPG addict that I am, I'll definitely be trying both and I'm sure both will be worth the box price. 

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• UhwopUhwop Member UncommonPosts: 1,791
    Originally posted by spizz
    Anyone else worried? NDA is still up beta testers have only tested the first 20 levels or so. Something seems fishy to me. Anyone else feel the same?

NDA up is not fishy for me, every mmorpg which I was beta testing had their NDA up until it changed to open beta.

And I'm pretty sure that every one of them didn't start pre orders until they went into open beta or dropped the NDA. 

• reeereeereeereee Member UncommonPosts: 1,636
    Originally posted by baphamet

and that is based purely on the details of a pre-order lol

this shit is funny to me.

I don't recall SWTOR being so desperate to sell boxes that they needed a CE only race (Wouldn't that have been hilarious?  Wookies, only playable for people who bought the CE!)  Which in turn indicates that they are more desperate to sell boxes than even games like SWTOR and AoC were... which is a very very poor indication of quality. 

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    Originally posted by reeereee

I don't recall SWTOR being so desperate to sell boxes that they needed a CE only race (Wouldn't that have been hilarious?  Wookies, only playable for people who bought the CE!)  Which in turn indicates that they are more desperate to sell boxes than even games like SWTOR and AoC were... which is a very very poor indication of quality. 

If you really believe that Zenimax/Bethesda are desperate, I'd really like to try some 'O' dat chit your smokin

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026

Not even worrying about it until I have full access to game to know for myself. Way too much energy expended by so many over "guessing".

The devs say one thing and people refuse to believe anything they say. There is no way to convince them otherwise. They choose to wallow in a sea of anxiety and I have no idea why.

You stay sassy!

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

Originally posted by reeereee
    Originally posted by baphamet   Originally posted by TinglySidewinda Exactly how I feel about the game... went from pumped to very skeptical.     Pump those preorder sales asap!     ESO VS WILDSTAR... for me its WILDSTAR now.
      and that is based purely on the details of a pre-order lol this shit is funny to me.

that is your assumption. i don't agree with that logic, reason being is they are not going to have a problem selling boxes IMO.

are they desperate to make more money? well that's kind of silly because of course they want to sell as many copies as they can, regardless of the quality of their game.

isn't that the point? or do you believe they invested millions of dollars just to make the gamers on mmorpg.com happy? :)

by the way, i agree it is a very very poor indication of quality lol

i know what you are trying to say but you worded it wrong and i got a good laugh out of it :D

• IGaveUpIGaveUp Member Posts: 273

As I see it, public reaction is about the same, but possibly a bit more maturely handled than SWTOR.  That ended up a scream-fest in the forums that ran for weeks.

The force was deep for both hater and fanboi.  :-)   Seems a bit tamer now.  Even the "outraged" posts feel tepid.

As for will the release go well?  Ask me 3 months after.

• KeldienKeldien Member UncommonPosts: 119

The NDA part is a little similar, yes.  Only the first 20 levels being tested?  No, testers had complete access to everything (that was in at the time) in TOR for the longest time.

I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt that they'll do an open beta in the month or so leading up to launch.  Or at least a closed beta that lasts longer than a few days.

• H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380
    Originally posted by Theodwulf

I was heavily emotionaly invested in SWToR, so that was really painful. ESO has little appeal to me, so I am not concerned. I'll wait for a couple of months after launch (july-ish) before checking it out and read the reviews from actual people before giving them a dime.

This is exactly how I feel.  I was deeply invested in SWTOR being awesome.  I was gonna play it until they turned the servers off, which technically I did considering they went from 219 servers to 17 servers within the first year, but then I was horribly shocked by just how bad a 300+ million dollar game could be.

I will also be waiting until a couple months after launch.  I waited a couple months after launch to try GW2 and subsequently never had to purchase the awful game.  If the game is GOOD, then I wont' miss any of the CE stuff.  If the game is bad, then I'll regret having spent extra to get some useless trinkets.

• CazNeergCazNeerg Member Posts: 2,198
    Originally posted by Uhwop

And I'm pretty sure that every one of them didn't start pre orders until they went into open beta or dropped the NDA. 

You are assuming they wanted to start pre-orders before the NDA dropped.  It is very, very possible that the only reason the pre-orders went live when they did is because Amazon accidentally leaked the Imperial Edition the day before.  Hell, some major retailers don't even have the picture on their site for the game yet, this does not look like a planned launch of the sales.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
    Through passion, I gain strength.
    Through strength, I gain power.
    Through power, I gain victory.
    Through victory, my chains are broken.
    The Force shall free me.

• GhernGhern Member UncommonPosts: 134
    Originally posted by CazNeerg
    Originally posted by Uhwop

You are assuming they wanted to start pre-orders before the NDA dropped.  It is very, very possible that the only reason the pre-orders went live when they did is because Amazon accidentally leaked the Imperial Edition the day before.  Hell, some major retailers don't even have the picture on their site for the game yet, this does not look like a planned launch of the sales.

Well there is a flat-out guess.

Yeah, let's go with that theory.

Originally posted by Ghern

Of course it's a guess.  So is assuming they wanted to launch pre-orders when they did.  Any theory not based on an official statement is, by definition, a guess.

The Force shall free me.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

Of course it's a guess.  So is assuming they wanted to launch pre-orders when they did.  Any theory not based on an official statement is, by definition, a guess.

Funny how they managed to get their pre-order advertising all over the internet in such a rush too. Pretty sure all these adverts and banners didn't get made overnight, they clearly planned to launch pre-orders this week. Which is why Amazon probably got the two games mixed up.

• Blazer6992Blazer6992 Member UncommonPosts: 642

I always thought it would be pushed back, but now with the official release of the collectors edition and still sticking to the same date. My thinking is that it will be full of bugs.

Originally posted by evilastro

Funny how they managed to get their pre-order advertising all over the internet in such a rush too. Pretty sure all these adverts and banners didn't get made overnight, they clearly planned to launch pre-orders this week. Which is why Amazon probably got the two games mixed up.

I don't know.  It seems like an extremely sloppy roll out if it was planned.  The only site that actually had it's pre-orders ready to go at the start of the day after the leak was the game's own site, which is the one you would figure would manage it the most quickly if they were scrambling.  Several of the sites who added the listing early in the day didn't even have the graphic for the Imperial Edition yet, and Amazon (even though we know they had the graphic) didn't get the listing up until late afternoon for consoles, and sometime in the evening for PC.

Hell, Best Buy didn't even get the listing up until this morning, and they still don't have the image.  Isn't standard practice for the start of pre-orders for all the relevant sites to have all the relevant graphics before the listings go live, and to go live on the same day?  All taken together, it really does seem (to me) like a last minute scramble to respond to the leak.

The Force shall free me.

• RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785

I do think they were planning on doing an announcement and launching the pre-orders in a more official manner, but I'm guessing Amazon was a bit too gung-ho and started early thereby causing a ruckus and making Zenimax push up their pre-order release (which likely would have been mid-day yesterday or today).

But no matter, what happened happened.

As for worried about NDA, I'm not. NDA doesn't mean that they're hiding something, it just means they're not ready to share (maybe they have internal rules, or maybe the marketing team said, "this is NDA drop day and it doesn't matter if the game is ready to show before that date, you're listening to us!"

Also, SWTOR went downhill the moment EA entered the picture and demolished another development company. Remember when Bioware was highly thought of? Yeah, right up until the EA announcement. So I don't think SWTOR's NDA was much of an issue either, it was lots of other things.

• Randallt3mpRandallt3mp Member UncommonPosts: 168

nope. for most people annoyed by this the pre-order details are not the only reason. They are just the last straw or a confirmation of the fishyness. 

MMOs Played: FFXI,Age of Conan, Aion, Rift, SWTOR, TERA, TSW, GW2

Playing:None

Waiting For: Wildstar, The Repopulation, Archeage, TESO, Warhammer 40K:EC, EQN

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Originally posted by Keldien

The NDA part is a little similar, yes.  Only the first 20 levels being tested?  No, testers had complete access to everything (that was in at the time) in TOR for the longest time.

I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt that they'll do an open beta in the month or so leading up to launch.  Or at least a closed beta that lasts longer than a few days.

I remember near the end of beta SWTOR gave us a end game character to test for awhile.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• skyline385skyline385 Member Posts: 564

Can people seriously not read the posts above? There is a separate beta going on in ESO which has more access than the Beta weekends. The Weekend betas aren't the only one they are doing.

As for pre-orders with NDA here is a thread i made

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/6158438/Preorders-with-NDA-has-been-done-before.html#6158438

Originally posted by Randallt3mp
    Originally posted by baphamet   Originally posted by TinglySidewinda Exactly how I feel about the game... went from pumped to very skeptical.     Pump those preorder sales asap!     ESO VS WILDSTAR... for me its WILDSTAR now.
      and that is based purely on the details of a pre-order lol this shit is funny to me.
    nope. for most people annoyed by this the pre-order details are not the only reason. They are just the last straw or a confirmation of the fishyness. 

or back in reality, its just another reason for them to bash a game they never intended on playing anyways?

in the end, nobody is going to care about the pre-orders, you are either going to buy the game and play it or you will not.

soon there will be more flavor of the month news to complain about and the cycle continues with yet another "last straw".

Originally posted by Octagon7711
    Originally posted by Keldien Originally posted by DSWBeef Anyone else worried? NDA is still up beta testers have only tested the first 20 levels or so. Something seems fishy to me. Anyone else feel the same?
    The NDA part is a little similar, yes.  Only the first 20 levels being tested?  No, testers had complete access to everything (that was in at the time) in TOR for the longest time. I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt that they'll do an open beta in the month or so leading up to launch.  Or at least a closed beta that lasts longer than a few days.
    I remember near the end of beta SWTOR gave us a end game character to test for awhile.

i remember that and it failed miserably, they gave up on it pretty quick.

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZnNMbm3tVg

-points up- watch that you ZOS tankers.

• KaosProphetKaosProphet Member Posts: 379
    Originally posted by Razephon

No game to date (other than that one game that had raiding) has managed to keep growing after the 3 month mark.

EvE Online.

Though it's not that big a bar to pass, as it was always more of a niche game than a mass-appeal one.

• vmopedvmoped Member Posts: 1,708

You are assuming there are not other beta tests in the past, present, or future.  You are allowing your fears and lack of knowledge drive you to guess.  No I do not feel the same as you, but NDA prevents me from explaining why.

Cheers!

MMO Vet since AOL Neverwinter Nights circa 1992. My MMO beat up your MMO. =S

This discussion has been closed.