Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The implications of giving a friend a Ring of Mara

I want to lodge a formal complaint (the official forums are turned off right now) about the Imperial Edition bonus "Rings of Mara: Complete the Ritual of Mara with a friend and receive an experience bonus when you play together." I get what they are trying to do with the item itself but making them rings of "Mara" adds a lore predicament.

From Skyrim wiki:

"In Skyrim, you have the option of marrying an NPC, regardless of race or gender. To do so, you must complete the quest The Bonds of Matrimony, which involves speaking with Maramal about marriage and wearing an Amulet of Mara which signifies that you are available to be married. Once you have found an NPC who also wishes to be married, and whose disposition towards you is high enough, you can gain their consent to marry you and then attend the wedding ceremony at the Temple of Mara."

I feel like the implications of giving a friend a Ring of Mara is like proposing to them which is not the case most of time time.  A lot of my friends started making fun of it, calling it Rings of Bromance, etc.  I think the item should be renamed to something that does not involve Mara or the marriage ceremony.  I suggest they are just Rings of Fellowship or something less romantic.

What do you guys think?

Comments

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910
    Don't be so uptight?

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    hmm... you play just with other guys right? Ge them to roll a female toon if that works better for you :)
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• MibletMiblet Member Posts: 333
    Originally posted by Iselin
    hmm... you play just with other guys right? Ge them to roll a female toon if that works better for you :)

+1

Or you can roll the female toon, or you can be a happy couple and damn what the world thinks!!

• Skeeter50Skeeter50 Member UncommonPosts: 147

I do feel kinda weird performing the ritual of Mara with my nephew.

Maybe being Orcs it will be ok.

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    I think gay marriage is awesome!
  • voigtvoigt Member Posts: 23
    Originally posted by Miblet

+1

Or you can roll the female toon, or you can be a happy couple and damn what the world thinks!!

I have no issues if people WANT to get married, I just thought that pre-order bonus should not be tied to the marriage ceremony at all.  People who do not want their characters to be married in-game should not need to avoid using the marriage rings and lose out on the bonus exp.  I just think its awkward to ask your buddy if you want to get married for the insurance money :)

Originally posted by Skeeter50

LOL. Dwarves I would understand but Orcs? image

It's a game guys... and it's also the frikking 21st century. Live a little.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

Yeah, I didn't even think about the situations where you would be married to a relative or a child, that's double weird.

• DAS1337DAS1337 Member UncommonPosts: 2,610

To be honest, I never even put any thought into those rings.  It's actually quite funny.

This isn't really an issue, but I do enjoy lore and I can see your point.  Though, it's not like ZOS has been consistent with their lore, have they?

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] UncommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Originally posted by evilastro

So in the 21st century incest becomes acceptable?  

Gee I hadn't even thought about that till you mentioned it... goes to show there's just no way to predict reading comprehension or people's desires to deliberately misconstrue things on the internet.

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• Crazy_StickCrazy_Stick Member Posts: 1,059

Well, we now know where that mature rating came from... LMAO  I mean this is a conversation that I didn't want to have about ESO.

:)

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

Gee I hadn't even thought about that till you mentioned it... goes to show there's just no way to predict reading comprehension or people's desires to deliberately misconstrue things on the internet.

If you only wanted to respond to the Orc part then you should have edited out the portion about him marrying his nephew.  Not sure how else you could interpret what you said based on that quote.

Originally posted by voigt
    Originally posted by Miblet

+1

I have no issues if people WANT to get married, I just thought that pre-order bonus should not be tied to the marriage ceremony at all.  People who do not want their characters to be married in-game should not need to avoid using the marriage rings and lose out on the bonus exp.  I just think its awkward to ask your buddy if you want to get married for the insurance money :)

I'm not really clear on the lore of Elder Scrolls games, but who is to say that in ESO the Rings of Maru mean the same thing they do in Skyrim?  Isn't there like a thousand years difference in when the games occur?

• EntinerintEntinerint Member UncommonPosts: 868

If you're a dude and you marry a dude it means you're gay.

There's nothing wrong with being gay.

I however, am not gay which is why my ring of Mara goes to my girlfriend.

Originally posted by lizardbones 

I'm not really clear on the lore of Elder Scrolls games, but who is to say that in ESO the Rings of Maru mean the same thing they do in Skyrim?  Isn't there like a thousand years difference in when the games occur?

http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Mara  seeing that Mara is the Goddess of love...

If you only wanted to respond to the Orc part then you should have edited out the portion about him marrying his nephew.  Not sure how else you could interpret what you said based on that quote.

I don't know. maybe the "It's a game guys" part showed that I was now talking to everyone and not still reposnding to the OP...too obscure?

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• ReallymjReallymj Member UncommonPosts: 44
    What about the cyber police? I mean if you give this ring to a minor can you get jail time? This is a serious issue. I see the weirdest shit on the news. You have to be really careful with this kind of stuff.

~Im not what I am~

http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Mara  seeing that Mara is the Goddess of love...

Well, in that case just buck up and deal with it to get the 3% bonus. :-)

Just don't be surprised if your other friends get jealous of whomever you give that ring to.

• Skeeter50Skeeter50 Member UncommonPosts: 147

Well, in that case just buck up and deal with it to get the 3% bonus. :-)

Just don't be surprised if your other friends get jealous of whomever you give that ring to.

Oh the Mara madness! I will just pass on this game.....NOT.

Originally posted by Reallymj
    What about the cyber police? I mean if you give this ring to a minor can you get jail time? This is a serious issue. I see the weirdest shit on the news. You have to be really careful with this kind of stuff.

I agree.  This is by far the weirdest bit of news concerning ESO I've heard.  You'd expect people to be "War Bound" or something, not married.

• PyatraPyatra Member Posts: 644

I agree.  This is by far the weirdest bit of news concerning ESO I've heard.  You'd expect people to be "War Bound" or something, not married.

Um... she's also the Goddess of maternity guys. Her commandment in the 9 divines is:

"Live soberly and peacefully. Honor your parents, and preserve the peace and security of home and family."

You only think it is weird in lore because you only remember that one facet of her from the last game.  I think it should be named the Rings of Azura because everything is better with Azura.  Stupid Mara.... can go hose off in a swamp for all I care.

Originally posted by Pyatra

Um... she's also the Goddess of maternity guys. Her commandment in the 9 divines is:

"Live soberly and peacefully. Honor your parents, and preserve the peace and security of home and family."

You only think it is weird in lore because you only remember that one facet of her from the last game.  I think it should be named the Rings of Azura because everything is better with Azura.  Stupid Mara.... can go hose off in a swamp for all I care.

"Goddess of Maternity" doesn't help make it any less weird.

Also, I found a pic. http://www.brilliantearth.com/The-Mara-Ring-Platinum-BTG7227396/

• PyatraPyatra Member Posts: 644

Also, I found a pic. http://www.brilliantearth.com/The-Mara-Ring-Platinum-BTG7227396/

So if you give it to family members its normal.... of course anyone that isn't family or a loved one....  yeah okay so then it gets weird if its not those 2 categories...

We are renaming these:  THE RINGS OF BROTERNITY!

So if you give it to family members its normal.... of course anyone that isn't family or a loved one....  yeah okay so then it gets weird if its not those 2 categories...

We are renaming these:  THE RINGS OF BROTERNITY!

There is still the opportunity to modify her aspects in the context of the game.  In some cities she's married to one guy, in other cities she's married to another guy.  In different pantheons she occupies a different role within the pantheon.  So maybe she'll primarily be the goddess of family, rather than maternity or perhaps the goddess of the hearth rather than the goddess of love in TESO.

Gorthak, Scourge of the Dragons stood among the burning ruins of the town.  Aaarghthpht, so named because those were the last words of most people who met him tossed aside the head that he has recently hewn from the guards body and approached Gorthak.  Neither Gorthak nor Aaarghthpht had met before or seen this pit of evil before, but in the midst of battle, bonds of brotherhood are forged in blood, without words.

Gorthak held out his hand.  "Take my ring of the Love Goddess.  Er, Goddess of Maternity.  Um.  Yeah."  Gorthak looked away, red flushing his cheeks.  It was far easier to watch the blood dripping from the house he had covered in severed arms and filled with severed heads than to look Aaarghthpht in the eye.  Aaarghthpht for his part gingerly took the ring.  "Uh, thanks.  There are orcs over there.  Um, we should kill them.  Evil.  Yeah."   As they wandered off, carefully not looking at each other, and taking extra precautions to not accidentally touch each others' hands, they each really wished there was a better way to do this.