Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Zenimax - it takes work to make a decision this bad

Comments

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Originally posted by asrlohz

Iselin... It's not part of the CE. This is actually a kind of cash shop. It's not exclusive to the CE owners. Say for example that you purchase the standard edition, if you then want to you can upgrade to the Digital CE. This can be done at anytime by anyone.

In WoW's CE your vanity pets and what not remain exclusive to owners of the made CEs. They don't allow you to purchase tiny Frostwyrms. And that's the point, after several years that pet will be cool and unique. But the Mudcrab won't be rare. Everyone will have it and the only thing the CE people have for show are the three physical items.

Upgrading a standard edition to a CE post-launch is not exactly rare. That option is there for the person who doesn't pick up the game at all now or someone who changes their mind and wants it later. I don't see that as being any sort of problem.

I'm sorry but I'm not seeing a cash shop. I'm seeing a CE that gives the buyer more for the extra cost of the CE than is typical.

There seem to be three separate issues getting all jumbled up in some posters rush to judgement:

1. Should there be any kind of CE?

2. How much extra should it cost?

3. What should you get for it?

And it seems to me that it's only people who disagree with the contents of the CE who are then bringing in 1 & 2 to call it a "cash shop."

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

Originally posted by trisox
    Originally posted by Iselin
    Originally posted by JeroKane

my biggest issue with it arent the preorder CE items themselves.

Usually you can see how developers are aiming to develop the game over it's lifetime. This one seems to be kinda like a "Singleplayer-fast-moneygrab-game" due to all the stuff they are currently pushing out. You know, Box price, Subscription Fee, Ingame Cash Shop AND a cashgrab CE Edition. All in all this seems like a very short "project" of Bethesda - just grabbing as much money as they can before killing off the game, going free to play or even worse: shutting down the servers.

All these things just point into that direction and i don't feel supporting them until the game truly proves it doesnt want to go this way.

Just my to cents, opinions are welcome! :)

QFT!

Except for the part in red that's not even remotely a "T"?

Im, sorry did i get that wrong? I'm pretty sure they announced an item-shop a while a go. So u will have Boxprice, Sub & Shop

Yes you did get it wrong. Unless you mean this item shop and think that this is what is considered an in-game cash shop? http://store.bethsoft.com/brands/the-elder-scrolls-online.html?brand=166

There is no "in game" cash shop. If you want to call the mugs and T's shop a cash shop, be my guest... but that's not what we usually mean by the term.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• Brabbit1987Brabbit1987 Member UncommonPosts: 782
    Originally posted by Asariasha

Originally posted by Brabbit1987

Originally posted by Asariasha

Your poverty pisses me off!

When you buy a box of cornflakes in the supermarket and get an extra pack of Rice Pops for buying the bigger box, or if you buy a car and get certain pay-configurations on top for choosing the more expensive version, absolutely no one is argueing. If this very traditional business model is used in online games, people start moaning, complaining and try to make a shitstorm out of it.

Get over it. This is how the world works and in this case it is only a few bucks. If you want something special, you have to pay for it. If you can't afford it, then you better start to work for it or simply begin saving for it.

Difference is, when you pay extra for more, you tend to get ... things that are not standard. Keyword, standard.

A race in a game that has been part of the series for some time all of a sudden costing extra when in the past it was standard is not good. Unique Mounts, pets, items ... are all not standard. A well known race that is suppose to be part of the game is standard.

Not correct. Zenimax never announced the Imperial as race. The Digital Imperial Edition simply is the answer to several players interest to play races outside of their given alliance. It is a good idea and I believe that many players will decide to get this package.

Actually I meant specifically the elder scrolls series. It's a standard race in the series.

Truth of the matter is, I had not even noticed it wasn't in ESO. I still don't think that makes it right either way. It's a race that should be available to everyone who purchases the game because it's a standard race in the series.

Many P2P players also complain about F2P games specifically because of the pay gates involved. Yet I keep seeing the same people who hate this kind of stuff defending it here. It makes no sense. You hate F2P because of the pay gates, but it's ok for a P2P game to do it instead?

If they are willing to do this .. how can you all be sure they wont add a cash shop. They lied already. Who says they won't do it again?

I don't know how you all overlook this crap that companies do and defend bad business practices.

At least when a game is F2P .. it's some what expected. It doesn't harm me in anyway because it's entirely my choice to pay for what I want. 

P2P ... I assume I payed for the entire game, and I assume the monthly fee covers future updates, excluding dlc / expansions. When a company all of a sudden breaks the whole idea of what a P2P game means to me, it really makes the P2P model look like total garbage.

This is exactly the reason why I have such issues with the P2P model. It's a total money grab and scam. You pay for all these things, and pay a monthly fee, just for them to betray your trust and eventually go F2P.

Screw that. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. I am not stupid enough to keep being fooled.

• Joejc7135Joejc7135 Member UncommonPosts: 214

I heavily disagree with the decsions they are making. Some are downplaying it as no big deal but I disagree with that...perhaps the few extra dollars isn't a big deal to me...but the principal here is whats important...they have already blatantly lied to players before the game is even out...it shows their true nature. Listen kids, when you grow up you realize talk is cheap...actions are what matter...Zenimax said they wouldn't gate content from subs...they said races would stay seperated. Now they are gating content and selling basic features behind a CE paywall.

It's a shame but because it's elder scrolls you will still have an army of ball licking fabois armed with daddys credit card ready to defend their chosen game to the death. It's like the harder companies try to screw them, the more excited and loyal it makes them. Truly sickening.

• SuperNickSuperNick Member UncommonPosts: 460

The game will fail because someone who isn't an economist and someone who doesn't develop AAA games for a living on a forum says it to be true? No thanks, i'll watch the numbers.

And then comes June where Bethesda publish record sales figures and make back twice the money they've spent on box sales alone.

Numbers speak, forum speculation doesn't.

Originally posted by SuperNick

The game will fail because someone who isn't an economist and someone who doesn't develop AAA games for a living on a forum says it to be true? No thanks, i'll watch the numbers.

And then comes June where Bethesda publish record sales figures and make back twice the money they've spent on box sales alone.

There is no question in my mind the game will be a success in box sales. But as we all know an mmo's true success is measure in retention. This is where the game will fail, especially if they keep on adding "extras" for a cost...right now it's just the CE...but I would bet my kidney it's not the last "Pay us again" feature they will add.

Also you should really rethink your position on whos opinion you take seriously...titles often mean next to nothing in the real world....or did you miss how right all the expert "economists" where during the financial collapse and housing bubble bust. Just take each opinion on its own merits....I would agree with you that this game doesn't seem like it will fail..but will die slowly while milking every dime out of fanboys as it dies.

• CalvenCalven Member Posts: 151

Let me remind you of the countless AAA games who thought just like you did. Initially they sold well, most MMOs do, but a few months later they begin to crack, servers are taken down, employees are fired and eventually a F2P option is installed.. As you say, numbers speak, and the numbers suggest that this game have may follow the same trail that almost every AAA MMO since WoW have followed. I certainly hope  the game does well, even though I no longer will be playing it. Only an asshole would wish for a game to fail because he wasn't satisfied with the decisions made.

• red_cruiserred_cruiser Member UncommonPosts: 486

Support the game with a little extra money, get some cosmetic perks to go along with it. 

Stop being entitled brats.  If you like the game, support it.  If you don't like it, then don't buy it.

"But it's not cosmetic... it's an entire RACE!!"  ...You people do realize we are talking about an Elder Scrolls game, right?

Beyond that, have you even sat down and thought what the three factions would have looked like if Breton, Nords and Imperials were all basic races?  Oh, that's the start of a real interesting game right there.  At that point, might as well just call it Brittania Online.

• SuperNickSuperNick Member UncommonPosts: 460
    Originally posted by Calven

Let me remind you of the countless AAA games who thought just like you did. Initially they sold well, most MMOs do, but a few months later they begin to crack, servers are taken down, employees are fired and eventually a F2P option is installed.. As you say, numbers speak, and the numbers suggest that this game have may follow the same trail that almost every AAA MMO since WoW have followed. I certainly hope  the game does well, even though I no longer will be playing it. Only an asshole would wish for a game to fail because he wasn't satisfied with the decisions made.

What countless AAA games? Single player games only target box sales.

If we're talking MMOs, what's your definition of a fail? SWTOR is regarded as the second most successful MMO now, it's literally pouring with cash. GW2 enjoys a dedicated fanbase, FFXIV is doing great, LOTRO is doing really well and even Rift is enjoying a lot of success. If you want to talk about games like Tabula Rasa, sure, that was a complete fail but let's be honest it was a fail from day one.

Sure MMOs close down but that's called MMO lifecycle. Some last longer than others, eventually old ones close down for new ones. Even Warhammer which was an incredibly bad game enjoyed multiple years and decent profits.

Since when did going F2P mean "your game is dead and bleeding".

Like I said, numbers talk. And the numbers suggest SWTOR is enjoying a hugely successful model since their change of direction, despite what everyone thinks about it.

• trisoxtrisox Member UncommonPosts: 51

Usually you can see how developers are aiming to develop the game over it's lifetime. This one seems to be kinda like a "Singleplayer-fast-moneygrab-game" due to all the stuff they are currently pushing out. You know, Box price, Subscription Fee, Ingame Cash Shop AND a cashgrab CE Edition. All in all this seems like a very short "project" of Bethesda - just grabbing as much money as they can before killing off the game, going free to play or even worse: shutting down the servers.

All these things just point into that direction and i don't feel supporting them until the game truly proves it doesnt want to go this way.

QFT!

Im, sorry did i get that wrong? I'm pretty sure they announced an item-shop a while a go. So u will have Boxprice, Sub & Shop

Yes you did get it wrong. Unless you mean this item shop and think that this is what is considered an in-game cash shop? http://store.bethsoft.com/brands/the-elder-scrolls-online.html?brand=166

There is no "in game" cash shop. If you want to call the mugs and T's shop a cash shop, be my guest... but that's not what we usually mean by the term.

im sorry, i automatically implied this would be an ingame shop due to the "item" aspect of it. guess its a non-defined variable yet. what u posted is an merch shop - they might implement the item shop there as well - excuse me for the misunderstanding

• dontadowdontadow Member UncommonPosts: 1,005
    Originally posted by karmath
    Originally posted by Xsorus

Unless you are specifically going to play the Imperial Race if it was standard for all, You being butthurt over it just screams crybaby gamer syndrome.

The hilarious part about it is that the Imperial Edition isn't a good buy because the Imperial Race, its a damn good buy because you get a free mount on every new character you make...That's always a bloody good bonus to have in any game.

People like you are the reason we have not had a decent game worthy of long term time investment in over a decade. Think upon that.

Free things for people who buy collectors editions has exissted for over 2 decades with games. I fail to see that its the downfall of games. Ironically, the downfall of games is people who keep asking game companies to do things the same way that other companies do them so they feel comfortable.

• ScoobyDoo13ScoobyDoo13 Member Posts: 6
    I don't want to buy this game anymore...
  • HellCasterHellCaster Member UncommonPosts: 234

I don't see what the big deal is. Is it because it a big company and not some indie kickstarter? I see kickstarters (Shroud Of the Avatar anyone?) doing the same thing all the time... donate xyz amount and you get these virtual items, donate xyz amount more and you get these virtual items on top of it and that is for something that could turn out to be vaporware.

The DIGITAL imperial edition is $79.99, its not priced like a collectors edition so its not that off base for what it's offering.

I'm buying it - see you 4-4-2014!!

Playing: varies every day it seems.

• jacktorsjacktors Member UncommonPosts: 180
    Originally posted by Sandio
    Last few weeks people are whining that they can't play classes across factions and now people whine opposite.

I love whiners =)

I do not agree with you.  I believe that the majority of ESO fans were very happy to have race locks across factions. I could care less about the CE additions and the Imperial race unlock.  I am upset over the flip flop on the race locks.  The ESO devs were very excited to tell us how we were going to have a sense of realm/alliance pride and true RvRvR war,  as seen in DAOC.  

This is the big mistake they made. The devs caved into a small bunch of whiners that wanted to be given every option handed to them. They went from promising a nice open world, true 3 faction race war, back to a typical, themepark MMORPG that we can play over and over within so many identical type games. 

A very dumb choice. 

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629
    Originally posted by Margulis

I've defended the game here and I stick by my opinions that the GAME itself is a lot better than what it is made out to be.  But this decision with the CE and pre-orders has seriously got to be one of the WORST ideas I have ever seen a company make.  The big issue:  This isn't a F2P game!  If it was you could get away with charging extra for an entire race, but you are asking for box sale, plus sub (P2P game) and STILL pay locking content.  And this isn't just some dumb costume or mount, it is an ENTIRE RACE.  And this is after you said you wouldn't do this sort of thing! Zenimax, you are already battling a negative public eye, with articles coming out about predicted failures, most likely to flop, hate all over the internet, etc etc.  And this was JUST starting to turn around some after the last beta.  There was a new positive spin from a lot of people.  Obviously not all, but quite a few.  Now you go and do this - what is going on with your heads?!  Is it really worth a few extra CE purchases from people who really want to be an Imperial to incur the MASSIVE backlash and hate this decision is provoking, and subsequent lost sales?  This decision isn't just going to go away, for the entirety of the game's life people will talk about it, see Imperials running around and ask "I want to be an Imperial how do I get to be that?"  "Oh you can't unless you got the CE when it launched." You have 2 months to fix this Zenimax, make it available to everyone.  Because you are doing WAYYYYYY more harm to yourself financially as it stands with the public backlash and hate than the small boost you would get from a few extra CE sales.

You forgot the punch line...
    "The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• MoLoK_MoLoK_ Member UncommonPosts: 307

QFT!

Heard of the ESO Store? It is confirmed by ESO support that they will sell Imperial DLC there after launch of the game. They could not answer if the Exploration Pack DLC would be for sale or not because ZOS have not decided upon that yet.

Originally posted by MoLoK_

QFT!

Heard of the ESO Store? It is confirmed by ESO support that they will sell Imperial DLC there after launch of the game. They could not answer if the Exploration Pack DLC would be for sale or not because ZOS have not decided upon that yet.

Yup. Bought my digital edition there. What are you saying, though? That selling the game itself and upgrade from one type of edition to another constitutes having an in-game cash shop?

An in-game cash shop to me means that somewhere within the game there is some UI or menu element you can click to go buy things... that just does not exist in ESO. 

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629
    Originally posted by MoLoK_

my biggest issue with it arent the preorder CE items themselves. Usually you can see how developers are aiming to develop the game over it's lifetime. This one seems to be kinda like a "Singleplayer-fast-moneygrab-game" due to all the stuff they are currently pushing out. You know, Box price, Subscription Fee, Ingame Cash Shop AND a cashgrab CE Edition. All in all this seems like a very short "project" of Bethesda - just grabbing as much money as they can before killing off the game, going free to play or even worse: shutting down the servers. All these things just point into that direction and i don't feel supporting them until the game truly proves it doesnt want to go this way. Just my to cents, opinions are welcome! :)

QFT!

He's not denying there is a store or not....just that there is no in game store...and there is not.
    "The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    Can't be that bad a decision when the poll here shows that a third of people are going to buy the Imperial Edition. Even if they really aren't going to buy it, you'd thing they would say Standard just out of spite. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• ComafComaf Member UncommonPosts: 1,150
    Originally posted by spankybus
    If I read it correctly, people who buy the CE can play any race in any alliance. Wait til that one hits,

Incorrect.

However...Play as an Imperial

Play as an Imperial and play in any Alliance. Gain unique bonuses, crafting styles, gear and more!

• sludgebeardsludgebeard Member RarePosts: 788
    Originally posted by Comaf
    Originally posted by spankybus
    If I read it correctly, people who buy the CE can play any race in any alliance. Wait til that one hits,

Incorrect.

However...Play as an Imperial

Play as an Imperial and play in any Alliance. Gain unique bonuses, crafting styles, gear and more!

NO YOUR INCOREECT!

If you pre-order you get the explorers pack which lets ALL races join Either Faction!

I don't think it's a bad decison for them to do this...I just think it's a dishonest and greedy one. They have every right to be dishonest and greedy, just as I have every right to refuse to give them my money and make sure I tell everyone who will listen what greedy liars they are. Far as an in-game store goes...who really gives a damn? The important part is whether they sell content for the game in a cash shop...what difference does it make if you can access it from the UI or you have to go to a url? Talk about grasping at straws for an argument.

I guess I just ran out of vasoline so these kind of pricing plans hurt my asshole more then most on this forum.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

There seem to be three separate issues getting all jumbled up in some posters rush to judgement:

1. Should there be any kind of CE?

2. How much extra should it cost?

3. What should you get for it?

1) Yes.

2) As much as they feel like.

3) Statues, books, artwork... you know, collectors items. Not races and in-game advantages (removal of racial faction lock) to coerce a quick cash grab. 

The whole point of going subscription based is to get rid of the haves and have nots, make everything based on in-game accomplishments with everyone on the same monthly fee. Which is the response that the devs gave when queried about the choice of going subscription based rather than F2P.  This move sets a clear precedent that Zenimax do not respect that and will sell whatever they feel like when it suits them.

I don't have anything against P2P games, hell I am playing WoW again at the moment and will probably play Wildstar.  The issue here is that in-game unlocks that actually impact on gameplay have no place being sold with real life money in a subscription game.  Can they do whatever they feel like?  Obviously.  But lets not try and stifle those who are discontent. 

This issue clearly doesn't bother the people defending it, because they plan to pre-order and / or buy the collectors edition and get these advantages. 

Personally I decided not to play this game after trying it, but I don't want them setting a precedent for upcoming subscription games, letting them think that this kind of business practice is alright.  It's shady and reeks of a cash grab.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Oh my god.  Post a link to a reference so the discussion can move on.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/01/29/the-elder-scrolls-online-imperial-edition-leaked-by-amazon

Preordering allows players to play any race in any alliance.  Imperial Edition players can play as an Imperial, regardless of alliance.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• EntinerintEntinerint Member UncommonPosts: 868
    I really hope we see a massive guild from 4CHAN called "The Naked Nords for Her Hotness, Queen Beckinsdale" and all they do is hang out, naked, in the AD starter area and DANCE.  Just so all the DAOC players who wanted this to be DAOC 2 QQ all day.