Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Poll - was the decision regarding the CE and pre-orders worth the backlash?

MargulisMargulis Member CommonPosts: 1,614

So forget about your opinions on whether or not there should be an Imperial race locked to the CE edition, or whether you should be able to play in any alliance with any race.  This question is whether or not that choice, in your mind, is worth the backlash and hate that the game is receiving as a result? 

Do you think the potential boosted CE sales due to the Imperial race will overshadow the negativity and people no longer buying because of that decision?  Or do you think it's the other way around?  One thing that can't be denied is this game has received quite a bit of negative press (a lot of which I personally have defended against at one time or another) and this is bringing an extremely large amount more of it.

Comments

• DSWBeefDSWBeef Member UncommonPosts: 789
    Yes. Only a vocal minority seems to be upset (im upset) but many players are content with this. Which is sad to me. This pay wall race and any race on alliance crap has left a bad taste in my mouth. Im out for the time being.

Playing: FFXIV, DnL, and World of Warships
    Waiting on: Ashes of Creation

• CazNeergCazNeerg Member Posts: 2,198
    Thinking that sentiments on this forum, positive or negative, are in any way representative of general public opinion would be a mistake.  Backlash here does not necessarily indicate any kind of "substantial" backlash.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
    Through passion, I gain strength.
    Through strength, I gain power.
    Through power, I gain victory.
    Through victory, my chains are broken.
    The Force shall free me.

• CazNeergCazNeerg Member Posts: 2,198
    Originally posted by markrain5
    Originally posted by CazNeerg
    Thinking that sentiments on this forum, positive or negative, are in any way representative of general public opinion would be a mistake.  Backlash here does not necessarily indicate any kind of "substantial" backlash.

I've seen backlash everywhere and I go on a ton of different ESO sites and forums...

Replace "this forum" with "forums," and I still stand by the point.  In the context of the millions of people who might buy this game, the ones hanging out on the internet talking about it two months before hand aren't even a drop in the bucket.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
    Through passion, I gain strength.
    Through strength, I gain power.
    Through power, I gain victory.
    Through victory, my chains are broken.
    The Force shall free me.

• GrakulenGrakulen Staff WriterMMORPG.COM Staff LegendaryPosts: 894
    Originally posted by markrain5

I've seen backlash everywhere and I go on a ton of different ESO sites and forums...

Replace "this forum" with "forums," and I still stand by the point.  In the context of the millions of people who might buy this game, the ones hanging out on the internet talking about it two months before hand aren't even a drop in the bucket.

+1

• EntinerintEntinerint Member UncommonPosts: 868

This game was always doomed from the get-go to go F2P within a year.  In all likelihood this is part of the plan.

This is not going to hurt it any more than everything else about it already has.  The camel's back was broken long before this.

• TelondarielTelondariel Member Posts: 1,001
    Originally posted by Margulis

So forget about your opinions on whether or not there should be an Imperial race locked to the CE edition, or whether you should be able to play in any alliance with any race.  This question is whether or not that choice, in your mind, is worth the backlash and hate that the game is receiving as a result? 

Do you think the potential boosted CE sales due to the Imperial race will overshadow the negativity and people no longer buying because of that decision?  Or do you think it's the other way around?  One thing that can't be denied is this game has received quite a bit of negative press (a lot of which I personally have defended against at one time or another) and this is bringing an extremely large amount more of it.

You made a thread earlier today on the same topic.  How many of these do we need to be active at the same time?  Yes, you added a poll, but it's the same conversation in your other thread, and 3 other threads.

• MargulisMargulis Member CommonPosts: 1,614
    Originally posted by Telondariel
    Originally posted by Margulis

You made a thread earlier today on the same topic.  How many of these do we need to be active at the same time?  Yes, you added a poll, but it's the same conversation in your other thread, and 3 other threads.

They aren't the same thing at all - the other thread focuses on MY opinion on the DECISION - this is a poll to find out OTHER people's opinions on the EFFECT of the decision.

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646

No.  A game should never sell expansion-related content as part of a CE gimmick.  fluff only in a CE, thank you very much.

Add stuff like this, or announce day 1 DLC, and I'll see you later, when you go F2P.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• artemisentr4artemisentr4 Member UncommonPosts: 1,431

Don't look now, but it seems everyone is talking about ESO. I don't care if it is negative or positive. Press is press IMO. In fact, negative usually gets a lot more hits than positive press. So this is a good thing for the game. People that may not have been paying attention may now. And the whiners here and there will probably play anyway. It is just so difficult to not try out the new game on the block.

I like the link to any race on any alliance with pre-purchase. And a true CE item in the Imperial along with the armor, horse and crafting is nice to see. It is worth the cost for the CE to get that perk.

“How many people long for that "past, simpler, and better world," I wonder, without ever recognizing the truth that perhaps it was they who were simpler and better, and not the world about them?”
    R.A.Salvatore

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

When it comes to games your avg gamers don't rally behind a cause, doesn't argue about payment models, don't rage about development directions....or anything else you see go on, on forums.

They buy a game, play it till they get bored and then buy something else.

• GrakulenGrakulen Staff WriterMMORPG.COM Staff LegendaryPosts: 894
    Originally posted by DamonVile

When it comes to games your avg gamers don't rally behind a cause, doesn't argue about payment models, don't rage about development directions....or anything else you see go on, on forums.

I really wish we just had +1 buttons on these forums.

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

+1.  If anything I feel sad and embarrased for the adults who are buttsore over this.  Children get a pass on getting upset.

IMO, any press is good press as it gets people to hear about the game.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• superconductingsuperconducting Member UncommonPosts: 871

I think the Shoddy bros echoed my thoughts best:

http://www.shoddycast.com/2014/01/30/opinion-article-eso-pre-order-exclusives/

The Imperial race is probably going to be available by other means in the game. But if it's only obtainable by paying extra for the CE, that would be a pretty shrewd move on ZOS' part. Especially since they said they weren't going planning on putting paygates in front of Content.

• Randallt3mpRandallt3mp Member UncommonPosts: 168
    Originally posted by waynejr2

+1.  If anything I feel sad and embarrased for the adults who are buttsore over this.  Children get a pass on getting upset.

dude...they should totally like...charge extra for dungeons and 50+ content, too. Then they would get more money and more press...its so obvious.

MMOs Played: FFXI,Age of Conan, Aion, Rift, SWTOR, TERA, TSW, GW2

Playing:None

Waiting For: Wildstar, The Repopulation, Archeage, TESO, Warhammer 40K:EC, EQN

• FearumFearum Member UncommonPosts: 1,175

I don't think the Imperial addition to CE is going to boost sales as much as the perk of playing any race in any alliance for all the pre sales, that is going to pull in those that were still butt hurt about the faction locks. So you can't forget that.

But yeah the extra head lines and huge forum threads are bringing more attention to the game (negative and positive) to those that may have been under a rock since the game was announced.

• Randallt3mpRandallt3mp Member UncommonPosts: 168
    Originally posted by Fearum
    I don't think the Imperial addition to CE is going to boost sales as much as the perk of playing any race in any alliance for all the pre sales, that is going to pull in those that were still butt hurt about the faction locks. 

agreed. imperial race is too specific to get many people to pay extra for the CE.  The any race/any faction would lead to many more CE purchases, and they would sell more after launch too.

MMOs Played: FFXI,Age of Conan, Aion, Rift, SWTOR, TERA, TSW, GW2

Playing:None

Waiting For: Wildstar, The Repopulation, Archeage, TESO, Warhammer 40K:EC, EQN

• reeereeereeereee Member UncommonPosts: 1,636

Zenimax is way more savvy than I realized if they did this just to piss people off so they would then go generate free advertising for ESO. 

Although I completely disagree with DamonVile's main point as it applies to mmos.  Almost everyone I've ever met in an mmo and talked to at length had played numerous other mmos, was fairly aware of what other mmos were out there, and already had an opinion of some sort as to why they were or were not good... granted it might not be heavily researched and they certainly weren't arguing over payment models but they were very aware of what was going on and generally had a reason for why they were playing that particular mmo over others and why they would or would not play an upcoming release. 

Although it's possible I only talk to nerds in mmos and that would actually explain a lot. 

Now console players are a whole nother story and I would 100% agree there.

• funyahnsfunyahns Member Posts: 315

Yes because calling people buttsore is a way to show how adult and mature you are.  I suppose though children getting a pass is fair enough to explain it away.   I don't think most people honestly care about this game enough either way.  The problem is that other gamers jumping up to throw good money after bad effects all of us.

I think a lot you are underestimating the knowledge base of people outside of forums.  Pretending that you know more about them and acting as if they cannot process the information and come out to the same conclusions is pretty insulting to them.  Anyone who is going to agree to buy a game and then subscribe to is going to do a little homework on the subject. Not just randomly throw money away at it.

• Skeeter50Skeeter50 Member UncommonPosts: 147

What backlash?

See you all in game.

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Originally posted by funyahns

Yes because calling people buttsore is a way to show how adult and mature you are.  I suppose though children getting a pass is fair enough to explain it away.   I don't think most people honestly care about this game enough either way.  The problem is that other gamers jumping up to throw good money after bad effects all of us.

I think a lot you are underestimating the knowledge base of people outside of forums.  Pretending that you know more about them and acting as if they cannot process the information and come out to the same conclusions is pretty insulting to them.  Anyone who is going to agree to buy a game and then subscribe to is going to do a little homework on the subject. Not just randomly throw money away at it.

Buttsore is just meaning upset.  If I wrote upset, you might say I was insulting. If I used yet another term, you might make another claim.  Deal with it.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Originally posted by reeereee

Zenimax is way more savvy than I realized if they did this just to piss people off so they would then go generate free advertising for ESO. 

Although I completely disagree with DamonVile's main point as it applies to mmos.  Almost everyone I've ever met in an mmo and talked to at length had played numerous other mmos, was fairly aware of what other mmos were out there, and already had an opinion of some sort as to why they were or were not good... granted it might not be heavily researched and they certainly weren't arguing over payment models but they were very aware of what was going on and generally had a reason for why they were playing that particular mmo over others and why they would or would not play an upcoming release. 

Although it's possible I only talk to nerds in mmos and that would actually explain a lot. 

Now console players are a whole nother story and I would 100% agree there.

I never said ppl didn't know about other mmos or that they didn't have opinions. I said they don't piss and moan about them on forums and little things like what's in a CE pre sale isn't what makes them decide to play a game or not.

Things like the type of content, classes, type of pvp etc are all huge factors in them buying a game. Your avg person looks for a game to play not for things to bitch about on a forum. The people going all chicken little about this where not looking for a game to play, they were looking for an excuse not to.

• neumneum Member UncommonPosts: 143
    What backlash?  Oh the same crap from the trolls that smear every game.  If someone thinks the game sucks then just shut up and do not play it.

• funyahnsfunyahns Member Posts: 315
    Originally posted by funyahns

Buttsore is just meaning upset.  If I wrote upset, you might say I was insulting. If I used yet another term, you might make another claim.  Deal with it.

Its not insulting its just sophomoric  phrase to use when talking about maturity levels.  In this case bad press is not good though unless they are planning to come out later and say they have listened to feedback and will address the issue.  Which is possibility sense there seems to be a lot of dislike for what they are doing with this.   Its difficult to justify when one of your leads has mocked f2p and pay gates.

• Prod1702Prod1702 Member UncommonPosts: 78
    the way they are doing the CE goes to show how much a money grab this game is going to be. They want to charge $79 for you be able to play a race that should be part of the game no matter what. Then they want to charge you $15 a month to be able to keep playing the game after 30 days. I am sure I will be called a troll for this, but man am I happy I am not buying this game. I could care less that the NDA is still up but for people that haven't played the beta yet and have yet to buy the game, do yourself a favor and wait to buy it. So far the beta blows big time. 
  • artemisentr4artemisentr4 Member UncommonPosts: 1,431
    Originally posted by Prod1702
    the way they are doing the CE goes to show how much a money grab this game is going to be. They want to charge $79 for you be able to play a race that should be part of the game no matter what. Then they want to charge you $15 a month to be able to keep playing the game after 30 days. I am sure I will be called a troll for this, but man am I happy I am not buying this game. I could care less that the NDA is still up but for people that haven't played the beta yet and have yet to buy the game, do yourself a favor and wait to buy it. So far the beta blows big time. 

Could just be the player that blows, but I wouldn't know.

“How many people long for that "past, simpler, and better world," I wonder, without ever recognizing the truth that perhaps it was they who were simpler and better, and not the world about them?”
    R.A.Salvatore