Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Preview] Warhammer 40.000: Eternal Crusade: Behaviour's Design and Passion for 40K

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

This past week we showed you some very early footage of Warhammer 40K: Eternal Crusade. I wanted to write up a recap of the weekend we spent in Montreal and talk about what Behaviour showed us. There are a few parts to this story that really get me excited for what EC will offer. It may not be on the screen in the demos but you can definitely find it in the interviews and also in the passion that the team has for the 40K license.

Read more of Garrett Fuller's Warhammer 40k: Eternal Crusade - Behaviour's Design and Passion for 40K.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,627
    I am actually excited for this title, it looks like it is shaping up nicely. Can't wait.
    "The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,025
    Sweet to see a non-KS project trying to be more transparent early on. Not sure if it will be my sort of game however.

You stay sassy!

• mari3kmari3k Member Posts: 135

BAMBAMBAMBAMBAMBAMBAMBAMBAM !!!!!!!!!

I WILL MAKE SUPER SPACE MARINE AND PWN ALL !!!

Step in the arena and break the wall down

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Originally posted by DMKano

I think showing off your game as early as possible is the only sane way to develop a game.

The days of keeping your MMO in the dark for 4 years and then showing it off to the world in 5th year of development are hopefully over.

I think even more important is getting people into alpha as early as possible to get feedback and see how the game design elements are holding up with real players.

That way you get immediate feedback, instead of hoping that after 4 years players will like what you've done.

You also have to get the right kind of people into Alpha.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • IrkenEliteIrkenElite Member UncommonPosts: 17

I love the fact that just on a fluff basis the Chaos Space Marines look like they tend to use older Mark power armor and weapons. Those jump-packs are MkII Crusade/MkIII Iron pattern, from the look, while the Space Marines are jumping around with MkVII Maximus. Chainswords look like are a different pattern as well, CSM using older ones...

This is great. Gameplay looks rather similar to the multi-player from Space Marine, and with that basis to expand and improve on, innovate from and the entire 40K universe to work with, this game should be no less than awesome if handled even competently. Much less the comparatively well-handled treatment these guys at Behavior seem to be giving it.

Cheers for transparency, cheers for steady information updates, and cheers to you guys for hopefully finally bringing the Warhammer 40K IP to a good MMO game format.

• miguelcaronmiguelcaron Studio Head - BehaviourMember UncommonPosts: 70

Dear Crusaders,

THANK YOU for your kind words. Its our fuel and we really appreciate it. We DO appreciate the no so kind words as well!! :-) Please come and chat with us, the devs, in our forums. Tell us what you think we are doing wrong or if you have any suggestions since they might get added to the game like the Jump Pack Wall jump..... it came from a fan or be the first to slap our hand on a simple mistake like our upside down logo on the shoulder pad of a Dark Angel (from our first meet the team video!!) 

We are making YOUR game, so we need to know if what YOU want. That goes for our business model as well which I have posted for comments in our forums.

GLORY TO THE EMPEROR!!

Miguel Caron

Studio Head Behaviour Online

Executive Producer Warhammer 40,000: Eternal Crusade

Studio Head of Behaviour Entertainment on WAR40K: Eternal Crusade

• HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502
    Originally posted by miguelcaron

Dear Crusaders,

THANK YOU for your kind words. Its our fuel and we really appreciate it. We DO appreciate the no so kind words as well!! :-) Please come and chat with us, the devs, in our forums. Tell us what you think we are doing wrong or if you have any suggestions since they might get added to the game like the Jump Pack Wall jump..... it came from a fan or be the first to slap our hand on a simple mistake like our upside down logo on the shoulder pad of a Dark Angel (from our first meet the team video!!) 

We are making YOUR game, so we need to know if what YOU want. That goes for our business model as well which I have posted for comments in our forums.

GLORY TO THE EMPEROR!!

Miguel Caron

Studio Head Behaviour Online

Executive Producer Warhammer 40,000: Eternal Crusade

I have been on the EC forums since, I think the day they went live.  The devs answer PM's, they talk in the forums, in a lot of threads not just announcements.  I have never seen a game developed this way with the devs wanting input, then using said input.  Yes, they ask questions, take the answers in, ask for clarification, give clarification,etc etc.  It is pretty amazing to see.

Honestly, even if WH40K isn't your thing (heretic) just stop by the forums and see how a game company that is truly invested not only in the IP but in the player base makes a game.  It is a breath of fresh air and I hope others take note.

Well done BE.

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

• SST_2_0SST_2_0 Member UncommonPosts: 21
    I am still quietly hoping jump packs become equipment.  Both so they can be changed with stats, sort of like TF2 changes up weapons.  And so I do not have to play assault wearing a jump pack as a Space Wolf, I aint no Blood Claw!

Edit: Changed hopping jump packs to hoping jump packs.
  • nennafirnennafir Member UncommonPosts: 313
    I like Warhammer but...VAPORWARE....
  • turinmacleodturinmacleod Staff WriterMember UncommonPosts: 166
    Originally posted by nennafir

What does this even mean?

T

• IrkenEliteIrkenElite Member UncommonPosts: 17
    To the FORUMS! Pretty sure I'm registered, I just don't drop in much, honestly. ^^;
  • MrJimLaheyMrJimLahey Member Posts: 24

Cool Story...

• MikeJezZMikeJezZ Member UncommonPosts: 1,267

Am I the only one thinking the characters are too big on the screen?

They are so big so the crosshair hits the model... Compared to the previous title:

http://www.mmoga.com/images/screenshots/_p/1009587/62a10c203f5013d1216b9a86e74f1991_warhammer-space-marine.jpg

• machajasmachajas Member UncommonPosts: 47
    That's true and also quite refreshing, but only one part of the equation. Developers learned to show even basic sketch stuff to the future players, but actually listening to the feedback, that is usually lacking.

Born from blood,
    trained to kill,
    ready to die,
    but never will!

Uhh...what?  Care to expound on that statement?

Originally posted by MikeJezZ

Am I the only one thinking the characters are too big on the screen?

They are so big so the crosshair hits the model... Compared to the previous title:

http://www.mmoga.com/images/screenshots/_p/1009587/62a10c203f5013d1216b9a86e74f1991_warhammer-space-marine.jpg

Pre-Alpha...things will change, a lot.

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690
    It was nice to see some gameplay but I wish they would have shown it when it actually looks much better. Still excited to see it though!
  • MortisRexMortisRex Member UncommonPosts: 350

Yes, a game journalists actual gameplay footage approved by that fly by night company games workshop is certainly confirmation of your logical deduction, or perhaps the exact opposite, but whatever.

I can't wait to play, this is my next must have. Maybe I can save a couple thousand dollars on my wh40k addiction. 

• GeladiusGeladius Member UncommonPosts: 29
    Much as I might want to look forward to this game, I probably won't. Mainly because Imperial Guard will most likely not be playable. Also no idea how Orks for F2P users will work, unless this is simply a team death match game with factions all fighting together on either a Red or Blue team. Which takes away from what Warhammer 40k is...furthering my disinterest in the game.
  • turinmacleodturinmacleod Staff WriterMember UncommonPosts: 166

The answer to your questions is out there.

IG will possibly be playable "down the line"; four playable races, with the Nids being the balancing force, is plenty to start wth.

Each faction has their own agenda in the world, and battles will be raging in every corner, so it'll be pretty hectic.  Orks advantage should be in numbers, and the guys over at Behaviour have some really cool ideas about how to promote that.  It sounds to me like Orks will be the dabbler's faction, free, easy to play, but difficult to coordinate... just as it should be,

Terry

• arakahnarakahn Member Posts: 1
    This is shaping up to be a very interesting MMO shooter; can't wait to see the final product.
  • chaintmchaintm Member UncommonPosts: 953
    My friends and I are interested, we signed up for beta and the news letter, seems never to come t o any of us thou, guessing the website currently doesn't really work?

"The monster created isn't by the company that makes the game, it's by the fans that make it something it never was"