Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

TESO: New Cinematic

Hello,

As you can see, they have released a new Cinematic that completely annihilates the previous storyline. Yet they are still shooting for the same release, 04/4/2014.

I might be, maybe I will even continue to be, a valiant defender of this game. But there is NO WAY that they can rewrite the whole storyline within the game. Why should PvP even exist if  [SPOILER] the Ebonheart Pact, Daggerfall Covenant and Aldmeri Dominion ally to defeat the newly risen threat of an undead army?

Either way, how will this affect PvP? Will there be a new undead faction of Necro-Necromancers? That would be rather one sided and lore breaking. It's obvious that they've been holding onto that cinematic for awhile consider that they were ready to release it. Yet it would seem as if they have changed their mind at the spur of the moment.

I'm worried. Maybe I'll know the pain that SWG enthusiasts felt when SWTOR was released? Maybe not. I've played the game in Cologne and I liked what I saw, but maybe it's completely different now? How am I to know? Either way, it might be time for me to lay down my shield and just join everyone in the wait.

I have a feeling of impending doom.

EDIT: Seems like people misunderstood what this is about. The cinematic explains the lore behind why you can now play as any race in any faction thanks to the "Explorer's Pack" that you get if you preorder the game. I'm not talking about the Nord King picking up Ayrenn from the rubble. Please read up on the pack I spoke of before commenting.

Comments

• ColdrenColdren Member UncommonPosts: 495

I suspect it changes nothing.

The fact that all 3 factions now have a common enemy (NPC - Molag Bal) does not change their vi for control of Cyrodil.

I think you mistook the meaning of the cinematic and read a little too far into it. Just because the EH character picked up the AD elf does not mean they're allied against the Briton who turned undead. As a matter of fact, all 3 attempted to kill the monsters from the Dark Anchor. It's a story about a battle, how he got turned, not necessarily a redefinition of the lore.

• CazNeergCazNeerg Member Posts: 2,198
    Originally posted by Coldren

The fact that all 3 factions now have a common enemy (NPC - Molag Bal) does not change their vi for control of Cyrodil.

I think you mistook the meaning of the cinematic and read a little too far into it. Just because the EH character picked up the AD elf does not mean their allied against the Briton who turned undead. It's a story abou tthe battle, how he got turned, not necessarily a redefinition of the lore.

Yeah, the OP seems to be blowing this cinematic way out of proportion.  A single Nord (a race known for honor) digs one elf out of some rubble, without whom he would have gotten killed by Daedra, and suddenly their two factions are aligned?  Huh?

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
    Through passion, I gain strength.
    Through strength, I gain power.
    Through power, I gain victory.
    Through victory, my chains are broken.
    The Force shall free me.

• asrlohzasrlohz Member Posts: 645

I think you mistook the meaning of the cinematic and read a little too far into it. Just because the EH character picked up the AD elf does not mean their allied against the Briton who turned undead. It's a story abou tthe battle, how he got turned, not necessarily a redefinition of the lore.

I might have over analyzed it, yes. I can see your point.

And I truly hope you're correct. But it would seem as if they would ally against a common enemy. Before their wasn't really a common enemy, but an excuse to usurp the Ruby Throne after Tharn's betrayal and daedric worship. But now there's the Breton, working for the Daedra, whom is charging into the fray. I feel as if it upped the challenge.

Originally posted by CazNeerg

Yeah, the OP seems to be blowing this cinematic way out of proportion.  A single Nord (a race known for honor) digs one elf out of some rubble, without whom he would have gotten killed by Daedra, and suddenly their two factions are aligned?  Huh?

It's not about that. It's how it relates to the "Play any race in any faction". Obviously all the alliances have allied against the rogue Breton. After all, the Breton was never the leader of the Daggerfall Covenant in the first place. That's Highking Emeric.

Point is, it would seem that this is a cinematic explaining lore behind the change.

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    I can see where you're coming from but would just like to mention how badass that cinematic trailer was.
    Originally posted by Jean-Luc_Picard
    This reminds me more and more SW:TOR. I still wish they would make a Star Wars movie with the quality of those cinematics. Same here... the cinematics are nice.

I fear I'm forced to agree. The way they are just abandoning their previous "DAoC spiritual successor route" and scrapping the "faction pride" they so valiantly defended. Stinks of Bioware tactics.

Originally posted by colddog04
    I can see where you're coming from but would just like to mention how badass that cinematic trailer was.

You know, I agree. I wish they would have designed the game with this in mind from the ground up, atleast then I could be excited for this. If we don't see massive legions of Undead marching through Cyrodiil, what would be the point of the Cinematic?

• aslan132aslan132 Member UncommonPosts: 620

Seems someone didnt follow the game very closely. There has always been, from the very first announcement of the game, the common enemy of Molag Bal and his forces. This is nothing new, and unless youve been living under a rock, you already knew this. 

Molag Bal and his forces, including the Dark Anchors are solely PVE storyline. The PVE storyline never included the Alliance War or Cyrodill. Thats a purely PVP thing. You are mixing and matching things here, that were clearly defined since the original announcement of the game. 

Sorry to disappoint, but this changes absolutely nothing. The game and storyline are still intact, just the way they always were. 

Originally posted by aslan132

Seems someone didnt follow the game very closely. There has always been, from the very first announcement of the game, the common enemy of Molag Bal and his forces. This is nothing new, and unless youve been living under a rock, you already knew this. 

Molag Bal and his forces, including the Dark Anchors are solely PVE storyline. The PVE storyline never included the Alliance War or Cyrodill. Thats a purely PVP thing. You are mixing and matching things here, that were clearly defined since the original announcement of the game. 

Sorry to disappoint, but this changes absolutely nothing. The game and storyline are still intact, just the way they always were. 

Seems like someone wasn't following the game very closely.

The dark anchors will exist in Cyrodiil as well, with tonnes of PvE content. But as I've said before, Molag Bal wasn't the enemy of the factions, it was Tharn whom was in cahoots with him. But now one of the bigger leaders of the Covenant are allied with Molag Bals forces (or maybe he turned into a lich, like Jagar Tharn.).

And no, the storyline isn't intact. A lot of the quests I manage to play in Cologne were bound the races and factions. One where an Argonian was standing around in the forest, when you spoke to her you'd ask "What's an Argonian doing on Aldmeri Soil". I didn't finish this quest since I just found it in a highlevel area. But with the recent "Play any race in any faction" business going on, what will happen if I'm an argonian? Why should I be suprised then?

• jimbobfurleyjimbobfurley Member UncommonPosts: 104

Did anyone notice the mention of 'June 2014' beside 4/4/2014 ?  What does that mean ?

Originally posted by jimbobfurley

Did anyone notice the mention of 'June 2014' beside 4/4/2014 ?  What does that mean ?

It's the release for the console version :)

Originally posted by asrlohz

The dark anchors will exist in Cyrodiil as well, with tonnes of PvE content. But as I've said before, Molag Bal wasn't the enemy of the factions, it was Tharn whom was in cahoots with him. But now one of the bigger leaders of the Covenant are allied with Molag Bals forces (or maybe he turned into a lich, like Jagar Tharn.) 

And no, the storyline isn't intact. A lot of the quests I manage to play in Cologne were bound the races and factions. One where an Argonian was standing around in the forest, when you spoke to her you'd ask "What's an Argonian doing on Aldmeri Soil". I didn't finish this quest since I just found it in a highlevel area. But with the recent "Play any race in any faction" business going on, what will happen if I'm an argonian? Why should I be suprised then?

Here is one thing to remember; they already announced that part of endgame is being able to play your character through the other faction's storylines.  Which means they already had any race in any faction, they just made you play to 50 to unlock it on a race by race basis.  The pre-order just let's you start out with the combo you want, rather than making you level to 50 to get it.

And it makes sense that, if you were in the middle of a PvP battle and a dark anchor dropped into the middle of it, that you might pause on ganking each other to take care of the Daedra before you finish your fight.

The Force shall free me.

• UhwopUhwop Member UncommonPosts: 1,791

From what I understand the only place to PvP is Cyrodil. 

The three guys were fighting each other in the beginning, that means they're in cyrodil. 

That means this PvE pick up encounter happens in the PvP zone.  (My guess is this works very much like a rift event in rift)

• UhwopUhwop Member UncommonPosts: 1,791

And it makes sense that, if you were in the middle of a PvP battle and a dark anchor dropped into the middle of it, that you might pause on ganking each other to take care of the Daedra before you finish your fight.

I got a laugh out of this. 

• aslan132aslan132 Member UncommonPosts: 620

The dark anchors will exist in Cyrodiil as well, with tonnes of PvE content. But as I've said before, Molag Bal wasn't the enemy of the factions, it was Tharn whom was in cahoots with him. But now one of the bigger leaders of the Covenant are allied with Molag Bals forces (or maybe he turned into a lich, like Jagar Tharn.) 

Here is one thing to remember; they already announced that part of endgame is being able to play your character through the other faction's storylines.  Which means they already had any race in any faction, they just made you play to 50 to unlock it on a race by race basis.  The pre-order just let's you start out with the combo you want, rather than making you level to 50 to get it.

At least someone else understands whats happening. Glad to see not everyone is living under a rock and things this somehow changes things. Like I said earlier, sorry to burst your bubble, but this changes nothing. 

But you're missing the point. Before you would only see your own faction in that area after level 50. It was mainly to extend the game and had nothing to do with lore from the beginning.

And the Dark Anchor isn't what I'm talking about, I'm talking about the massive Undead Army. Will it be a feature in the game? And even if they paused to gank eachother they would still continue afterwards. But now it's not the case. Now all factions are fighting eachother in what is a racial chaos. I don't mind that but it defeats the point of a lot of the quests in the PvE content. Not to mention the "Faction Pride" that Matt Firor was preaching.

I'm not necessarily complaining about the game, I'm only worried how this will affect the game since it will break quests and it will make no sense at all if the Breton doesn't actually march his undead troops and engages in the sieges.

Point is, this would make much more sense if it was an expansion. But with only three months to launch I can't see them implementing all of these things properly. Especially not the faction quests.

Originally posted by aslan132

At least someone else understands whats happening. Glad to see not everyone is living under a rock and things this somehow changes things. Like I said earlier, sorry to burst your bubble, but this changes nothing. 

Evidently you didn't read my post.

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026
    Looks like they are really mixing the main pve story line into the pvp aspect of the game too. Quite intriguing.

You stay sassy!

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

Nice movie...

but then we all know great trailers dont tell anything about a games quallity.... Except that theymust be on an AAA budget..

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

Originally posted by Tamanous
    Looks like they are really mixing the main pve story line into the pvp aspect of the game too. Quite intriguing.

It is! But if they are, how are they supposed to implement it in time of the launch? Maybe they had prepared from this from the start and it's some sort of elaborate marketing ploy. Or they're just listening to the vocal minority? Is it really that bad to have to play a race you consider lesser just to play with a friend? In WoW I loved playing an Undead but most of my friends were alliance. I adapted and played on my undead on my free time.

I was actually hoping to do the same here. And I still can, but there's not really a big point to it anymore.

Anyone, back to the topic. Recently, Paul Sage wrote the following on Tamriel Foundry, as an answer to a question posed by a member of the forums:

"If you are in a guild with people in one of the other alliances that you are not in, can you group with them to do instances and such?  @Aillorian"

Paul Sage: "This is something you can’t do right now, but I believe we would like to enable this for the future."

To me, it sounds a lot like they decided it "just like that" but that trailer "explaining" it would have had been prepared for awhile. Maybe it's just a coincidence? Your thoughts?

It is! But if they are, how are they supposed to implement it in time of the launch? Maybe they had prepared from this from the start and it's some sort of elaborate marketing ploy. Or they're just listening to the vocal minority? Is it really that bad to have to play a race you consider lesser just to play with a friend? In WoW I loved playing an Undead but most of my friends were alliance. I adapted and played on my undead on my free time.

I was actually hoping to do the same here. And I still can, but there's not really a big point to it anymore.

Anyone, back to the topic. Recently, Paul Sage wrote the following on Tamriel Foundry, as an answer to a question posed by a member of the forums:

"If you are in a guild with people in one of the other alliances that you are not in, can you group with them to do instances and such?  @Aillorian"

Paul Sage: "This is something you can’t do right now, but I believe we would like to enable this for the future."

To me, it sounds a lot like they decided it "just like that" but that trailer "explaining" it would have had been prepared for awhile. Maybe it's just a coincidence? Your thoughts?

There is nothing new about this. It doesn't conflict with what I know from *NDA*.

The creation of this trailer would have started very long ago and like out sourced which means the story was detailed and signed off on likely a year ago or more. Every aspect of it would have to had fell within the planned story of the game for a very long time.

I believe you simply assumed certain things due to the lack of information released. The devs have said they are not revealing much about the game in order to keep content as secret until the last possible moment.

The lore behind the alliances has been explained. The Dominion is doing nothing more than trying to take over Cyrodiil to reclaim past glory. The Covenant is doing more or less the same but also simply trying to ensure the Dominion does not succeed. Both of those alliances are either completely unaware of the necromancer threat or the severity of the threat is not known. Only the Ebonheart Pact is aware of the threat from Molag Bal which is why they formed the Pact to begin with. This helps explain greatly why Dark Elves and Argonian joined together. Argonians likely learned of this new threat from Hist prophecy and will do anything ordered by the Hist. Dark Elves are keenly aware of most everything evil and gain great insight from the Triumvirate. We know what happens between these 2 races after this game's timeline and likely elevated by this union which no doubt creates a great deal of tension between them.

I feel I could be missing some of the main points of your concern though.

You stay sassy!

Originally posted by cura
    For the cost of this movie they could implement more content. For me, wasted money, for them, more box sales.

This would be marketing budget ... not game budget. Calculated risks I imagine.

You stay sassy!

For the cost of this movie they could implement more content. For me, wasted money, for them, more box sales.

This would be marketing budget ... not game budget.

Shhh.... didn't you get the memo?  Anything spent on an element of the game that you don't care about would automatically have been spent on your most favoritest things if it hadn't been used for that pesky worthless stuff.

The Force shall free me.

This would be marketing budget ... not game budget.

Shhh.... didn't you get the memo?  Anything spent on an element of the game that you don't care about would automatically have been spent on your most favoritest things if it hadn't been used for that pesky worthless stuff.

lol. I was trying not to be so critical. ;)

You stay sassy!

There is nothing new about this. It doesn't conflict with what I know from *NDA*.

The creation of this trailer would have started very long ago and like out sourced which means the story was detailed and signed off on likely a year ago or more. Every aspect of it would have to had fell within the planned story of the game for a very long time.

I believe you simply assumed certain things due to the lack of information released. The devs have said they are not revealing much about the game in order to keep content as secret until the last possible moment.

The lore behind the alliances has been explained. The Dominion is doing nothing more than trying to take over Cyrodiil to reclaim past glory. The Covenant is doing more or less the same but also simply trying to ensure the Dominion does not succeed. Both of those alliances are either completely unaware of the necromancer threat or the severity of the threat is not known. Only the Ebonheart Pact is aware of the threat from Molag Bal which is why they formed the Pact to begin with. This helps explain greatly why Dark Elves and Argonian joined together. Argonians likely learned of this new threat from Hist prophecy and will do anything ordered by the Hist. Dark Elves are keenly aware of most everything evil and gain great insight from the Triumvirate. We know what happens between these 2 races after this game's timeline and likely elevated by this union which no doubt creates a great deal of frustration between them.

Yeah, but the alliances created were very heavily reliant on races. Bretons generally hate Altmer, Altmer in turn hates dunmer and so on. The Ebonheart pact was a response to the formation of the other two alliances. So it makes no sense for all the factions to suddenly trust any and all races in the game. As I've said, they've already tackled this within the game.

I contacted them as well, and the staff I spoke to said that they had no idea what was going on with the Game Designers and that they are hoping that they know what they're doing. I'm paraphrasing of course.