Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

POLL: Now that you know the deal, what are your purchase plans for ESO?

Comments

• curacura WarsawPosts: 950Member Uncommon
    They are asking too much. Especially that what i saw is of questionable quality. Prolly grab it when its much cheaper.
  • Joejc7135Joejc7135 Spring Hill, FLPosts: 209Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by DarkWays
    Originally posted by Avarix

Originally posted by Ruien

I pre-ordered the digital Imp edition. I am really happy about it as well. The price is inline with other digital deluxe offers from other games and I think i am getting my money's worth.

The very best thing about it tho is, I wont be playing with most of the people from this site going by your poll. That alone would have made me throw money at the game. It being a sub game is another reason.

I agree that they are in fact getting rid of a certain audience with the decisions they have made. I just think the audience throwing money at the game now are the ones I would not enjoy playing a game with.

Originally posted by Miblet

Quite possibly not pre-order and purchase after launch depending on how things pan out.  I did enjoy the time I had with it but .

NDA still being in effect is really awful now, given people are now parting with their cash.

I completely agree with this. NDA should of been lifted before they started accepting orders. 

Why would they lift a NDA when it does not benefit them in anyway?  Happy people are often quiet while unhappy people are the loudest.

That is a good point and also very true. However it doesn't benefit me in any way to buy a game I know barely anything about. And of course generally speaking the longer the NDA the more suspicious I grow...if the game is so good lets hear about it...let some hype build. Unless they are totally certain it would get bad press...meaning they know why...meaning they are choosing to hide it instead of fix it. This company is way too shady, I feel like giving them money would be tantamount to getting cute little gizmo wet...

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer ChairPosts: 5,588Member Uncommon
    Wait and see
  • eldariseldaris LondonPosts: 349Member

Originally posted by Birdy1988

seriously.... our group of freinds were annoyed by the race limit... this fixes that, granted pre-order form sucks.... but my god, something as trivial as that not to play through what will likely be a decent experience?what else have you got? EQN in 2015? Star Citizen and Moba's laughinly being labeled as MMOs on this backwards website? a bunch of indie games with new ideas but horrible production values to the point where they are not fun to play regardless of their fresh ideas?The new ultima online that looks so dated Iquestion how anyone can get immersed.but yea.... ESO is now bin material because of pre-order bonuses....need to get your heads screwed back on.

First there is nothing until now to say that TESO will be a decent game, beside the fact that is using TES lore and as so many games showed it before , lore is not enough to make a good mmo.

Also a lot of people, me included, want more than a decent game ,they want a mmo with staying power not something you play for a month or two. Changing things which are so important to lore and game play (especially on pvp side) so close to launch and linking it to selling preorders is a sign they don't expect (or care) about staying power.But it seems game companies have nothing to worry, as the reaction of so many people just showed it, there are enough who will buy anything with TES (or star wars,star trek etc) attached to it and then a few months later complain on forums that the market is full of garbage mmos.

• MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Pittsburgh, PAPosts: 1,930Member Common
    I'll wait until it goes B2P or F2P.
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer ChairPosts: 5,588Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by CazNeerg
    The phrase "cash grab" needs to be banned from this website.  Companies exist to make money.  All games are a cash grab.

So what would you suggest we use as a replacement term for when companies get greedy and release titles, that in some way, should not have been released as they were?

• ReklawReklaw Am.Posts: 6,476Member Uncommon

Definitly going to buy but not going to pre-order. Will be there at or around release for sure.

Can only say that I never say things like this without any ingame experiance. image

• RuienRuien Durant, OKPosts: 39Member
    Originally posted by killion81
    Originally posted by DarkWays
    Originally posted by Avarix

I pre-ordered the digital Imp edition. I am really happy about it as well. The price is inline with other digital deluxe offers from other games and I think i am getting my money's worth.

The very best thing about it tho is, I wont be playing with most of the people from this site going by your poll. That alone would have made me throw money at the game. It being a sub game is another reason.

I agree that they are in fact getting rid of a certain audience with the decisions they have made. I just think the audience throwing money at the game now are the ones I would not enjoy playing a game with.

Quite possibly not pre-order and purchase after launch depending on how things pan out.  I did enjoy the time I had with it but .

NDA still being in effect is really awful now, given people are now parting with their cash.

I completely agree with this. NDA should of been lifted before they started accepting orders. 

Why would they lift a NDA when it does not benefit them in anyway?  Happy people are often quiet while unhappy people are the loudest.

By not lifting the NDA prior to taking money you appear to be hiding something.  Whether you are or not is irrelevant, the perception will do the damage.

Just like in the movie industry, if a film halts any reviews of the product, or pre-screening you can bet there is something worrying them, and if it worries them it sure as hell should worry you, the consumer.

Did they walk back the faction lock? That was the first big hurdle for me.

There wasn't a voting option for "didn't get in beta yet and won't buy a game without trying it first," so i'm waiting without much optimism for an open beta or a trial period after launch.

If you pre-order.

The perception they are hiding something will harm them far less than videos of a garbage game all over the internet.  I haven't played in the beta and I haven't agreed to any NDA terms.  I have no idea if the game is any good, but I seriously doubt it's more than a huge cash grab at this point.  You would think if the game was awesome, they'd want testers filling the internet with that sentiment.

If the game was sooo bad, why arent there TONS of people breaking the NDA to tell you about it? In EVERY game thats released in the last 8 years, if the game has stunk, theres been so many NDA leaks it wasnt funny.

Could it be that because the game might be good, the testers actually value theirr accounts and wont break the NDA

• evilastroevilastro EdinburghPosts: 4,270Member
    The phrase "cash grab" needs to be banned from this website.  Companies exist to make money.  All games are a cash grab.

No one is begrudging them from making money.  What they are opposed to are blatant cash-grabs. All games are not cash grabs, making a quality product and asking for a reasonable remuneration for it is not considered a cash grab.

Making a crappy product, locking key features and offering a limited time pay-to-win pre-order prior to dropping the NDA for your product is generally considered a cash-grab however.

• evilastroevilastro EdinburghPosts: 4,270Member

If the game was sooo bad, why arent there TONS of people breaking the NDA to tell you about it? In EVERY game thats released in the last 8 years, if the game has stunk, theres been so many NDA leaks it wasnt funny.

Could it be that because the game might be good, the testers actually value theirr accounts and wont break the NDA

Guessing you didn't visit these forums during or immediately after any of the beta weekends. It was full of people breaking the NDA to say how horrible the game was.  The staff have since cleaned these up and removed any with actual NDA breaks.

To answer your second question.... No.

• MibletMiblet BognerPosts: 333Member

The term is used to imply no intention of long term retention or survival.  Get in, get rich, get out.

For some products this is par for the course and as you said not a big deal as long as the customers are generally aware.

Many play MMORPGs though for an extended and protracted experience with others...hence the implication of short term can be worrying.  Not to mention the implications to quality and lack of concern from the parent company the term implies.

• ColdrenColdren Nowhereville, TNPosts: 456Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by killion81

You should buy the $500 lifetime subscription offer when it comes out too!  That's less that 3 years sub price!  No way it will go box price + cash shop (and no sub) within 6 months!

Having played it, if I could afford it, I would. Twice. One for me and my wife.

Especially since when things go F2P after being P2P, they have been known to throw in all sorts of bonuses for former lifetime subscribers. The other points of Ruien are just icing.

• handlewithcarehandlewithcare hartenbosPosts: 322Member

pre-ordered the standard box for pc very happy but subscription model is bad.

12.99 euros every month,i thought they would give a discount if you pay say 6 months in advance.

• sketocafesketocafe StoupaPosts: 801Member Uncommon

If you can't tell the difference between a cash grab and normal business practices then I don't know what to tell you.

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread PshPosts: 5,501Member Uncommon

Whoa, you haven't seen the incredible amount of leaks?

• drivendawndrivendawn montgomery, ALPosts: 1,242Member Uncommon
    The info about preorder and what you get will have little affect on who plays and who doesn't. The people that have already made up their minds to play will and the folks that already made up their minds against playing now just have one more reason to say they won't. All IMO of course.
  • PreythanPreythan Columbus, OHPosts: 66Member
    Been looking at and thinking about this game for a while now and I've come to the conclusion that I'm not going to purchase it.  Most new games that come out have a few points or features that tickle me, ESO hasn't done that.  Plus, looking at the pre-order prices...pfft, F that!  Especially on a game that will be more of the same 'ol same 'ol.

• DamonVileDamonVile Vancouver, BCPosts: 4,818Member

I was wait and see before, I still am. I will say the whole cash shop + sub has made it a for sure thing now where before I was at least tempted to buy it at launch.

I don't care about the CE stuff but I am strongly against a sub+cash shop. 

• IGaveUpIGaveUp NW, INPosts: 273Member

Not now, maybe later.  Today's news doesn't change anything for me.

• azzamasinazzamasin Butler, OHPosts: 3,066Member Uncommon

All I can say is I was on the fence.  Now I have firmly fallen off to the side that is GTFO as quick as possible.  This game has train wreck written all over it. 

I just wish Wildstar didn't look like a Saturday morning cartoon so now I'll have to wait for EQN for my MMO fix.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• CazNeergCazNeerg Puyallup, WAPosts: 2,198Member

Originally posted by GeezerGamer

So what would you suggest we use as a replacement term for when companies get greedy and release titles, that in some way, should not have been released as they were?

I would suggest people act like adults and stop thinking they have a right to dictate how companies "should" monetize their products.  If you think what they are selling is worth the price, pay it.  If you don't, don't.  If enough people don't pay, they will change their approach.  If enough people do pay, they didn't need to change their approach.

Originally posted by evilastro

No one is begrudging them from making money.  What they are opposed to are blatant cash-grabs. All games are not cash grabs, making a quality product and asking for a reasonable remuneration for it is not considered a cash grab.

Making a crappy product, locking key features and offering a limited time pay-to-win pre-order prior to dropping the NDA for your product is generally considered a cash-grab however. 

You are just arguing semantics at this point.  All games have, as their primary purpose, making money.  All companies will adopt whatever strategy they believe will optimize revenue and profits.  If you don't like the trends in the market, don't blame the companies, they are just doing their fiscal duty.  Blame the customers whose behavior led the companies to believe this is the best way to do things.

Originally posted by evilastro

Guessing you didn't visit these forums during or immediately after any of the beta weekends. It was full of people breaking the NDA to say how horrible the game was.  The staff have since cleaned these up and removed any with actual NDA breaks.

Which tells us nothing.  What is the primary potential consequence of violating an NDA?  You don't get invited to more beta sessions.  Who, therefore, is least likely to break the NDA?  People who enjoy the game and want to play more.  There could be ten "haters" for every fan, or ten fans for every hater, and we have no way of knowing, because almost all of the people who violate the NDA are from the hater camp.

The term is used to imply no intention of long term retention or survival.  Get in, get rich, get out.

For some products this is par for the course and as you said not a big deal as long as the customers are generally aware.

Many play MMORPGs though for an extended and protracted experience with others...hence the implication of short term can be worrying.  Not to mention the implications to quality and lack of concern from the parent company the term implies.

It doesn't indicate that they think the game itself will be short term.  It only indicates they have recognized the new market reality that relying solely on box sales and subs is short term revenue device that needs to be abandoned at some point in a product's life cycle in order to maximize long term profitability.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
    Through passion, I gain strength.
    Through strength, I gain power.
    Through power, I gain victory.
    Through victory, my chains are broken.
    The Force shall free me.

• greenreengreenreen Punchoo, AKPosts: 2,101Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by drivendawn
    The info about preorder and what you get will have little affect on who plays and who doesn't. The people that have already made up their minds to play will and the folks that already made up their minds against playing now just have one more reason to say they won't. All IMO of course.

Aye, no reason to think they wouldn't buy the game because of the pre-order package.

Plenty of people already have pitted Wildstar against ESO so every Wildstar cheering fan is going to be happy to tick - not buying. Then there are the Kickstarter fans supporting their pet projects so they are against any game that isn't using that community funding.

If not buying doesn't come out highest I would be surprised. Everyone who adores free games won't want the game either. It's not exactly going to be the most popular game there ever was because it has doorways.

Some people consider the lore a doorway.

Some people consider the pricing model a doorway.

Some people consider another game a competing doorway.

Some people consider PVP a doorway.

Some people aren't going to open a door that doesn't appeal to them. Good thing we all have our own minds. If I listened to what the internet liked I'd be on Facebook or Pinterest instead of this site or posting duck-faced selfies of myself eating lunch musing about celebrities and talking about how much bling I have showering myself in currency on a bed on Instagram or I could be on Twitter trying to be snide but short.

Everyone who buys the game doesn't come here either. It's not exactly a friendly forum. You can get banned for almost anything no matter how carefully worded. This place has the most easily offended people I've encountered.

• Randallt3mpRandallt3mp Menlo Park, CAPosts: 168Member
    Originally posted by drivendawn

Not true for me.  I was actually on the fence about buying the game, but with it releasing before anything else I wanna play in the next year or so I was just gonna go for it.  However, with this upsetting pre-order info on top of barely any info/gameplay due to the NDA, (even when the game is only 2 months away!),  Im gonna take this as a sign that things may not turn out so well for ESO.  I will now patiently wait to see what happens at release and couple weeks after before making a decision to buy or wait for it to go f2p/b2p months down the road.

MMOs Played: FFXI,Age of Conan, Aion, Rift, SWTOR, TERA, TSW, GW2

Playing:None

Waiting For: Wildstar, The Repopulation, Archeage, TESO, Warhammer 40K:EC, EQN

• alexhpy98721alexhpy98721 bucharestPosts: 250Member

I voted i may buy later but i will wait for a trial or something, as i did not get into the bets so far.

I want to see if they add Arena PvP, world pvp is fine but if its running around for 1 hour to meet a zerg and die... meh...

Also i`ll wait to see how the gameplay is, if its voice acted like SWTOR and the same quality, i will get it for the leveling experience alone.

But i need to see the game, either by playing it or seeing some live streams.

• MibletMiblet BognerPosts: 333Member
    It doesn't indicate that they think the game itself will be short term.  It only indicates they have recognized the new market reality that relying solely on box sales and subs is short term revenue device that needs to be abandoned at some point in a product's life cycle in order to maximize long term profitability.

I did say imply.  As in it implies to the consumer the company has no long term aim with the title.

As you said that they recognize such a point, and have decided the best time to begin the switch is before launch says what about their views of their own product?  What view does that cast for a consumer as opposed to someone looking for the most money, such practices hardly inspire belief they see the customer as anything more than walking wallets to be opened and emptied.

As I said perception can be just as damaging as reality.