Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Preorder ESO: Play any race in any alliance.

Comments

• UhwopUhwop Member UncommonPosts: 1,791
    Originally posted by fs23otm
    Originally posted by Calven
    Originally posted by fs23otm
    • What is the Explorer’s Pack?
    • [ If players pre-purchase the game through The Elder Scrolls Online Store (https://store.elderscrollsonline.com) or pre-order at any participating retailer, they'll receive the Explorer's Pack, a digital bundle that includes: ] — The ability for the player's characters to join any alliance, no matter which race you choose — The Scuttler , a tiny but loyal vanity pet — Four bonus treasure maps that will lead the player to loot ** When players pre-purchase through The Elder Scrolls Online Store, the Explorer's Pack will automatically be added to their account. If they pre-order the game through a participating retailer, closer to launch they'll be provided with a code they can redeem after registering an account at https://account.elderscrollsonline.com. Players can contact their preferred retailer for more details.

So awesome!!!!!

Now me and my friends can play the same alliance but be the races we each want to be!

At the cost of destroying the entire lore they build the around. But hey, who reads quest logs or listens to the expensive voice overs nowadays..?

To bad when you logged in there was already other faction races in your area. When you go to any town, you will see a collection of races from any faction. My first time logging in I was like WTH, but then I said well I can understand having a couple orc npc's in AD.

Am I to assume that those NPC's are there to give quests to non faction races?

• MaelwyddMaelwydd Member Posts: 1,123
    Originally posted by asrlohz
    Originally posted by Maelwydd
    Originally posted by Phry
    Originally posted by Moodsor

I am disappointed in you Bethesda and Zenimax.

http://www.elderscrollsonline.com/en/preorder

• PLAY ANY RACE
      IN ANY ALLIANCE

Dunno about you guys, but to me this is not ok as a pre-order perk, and it also seems wrong lore wise.

Its wrong lore wise for it to be otherwise, alliances should never have been based on race type, that their allowing this in pre-orders must mean that the backlash from that never actually went away. image

I agree with you, but this is pissing me off. They've been going on and on about faction pride. That's unsettling. Their recent attempt at crowd pleasing is hurting their initial vision of the game.

I have to ask what vision?

They took the vision of previous ES games of freedom to choose race, class, skills and said faction locked races and fixed classes are cool. PVP suddenly becomes the focus and reason for their design. They then change to lore to fit their 'Vision' to justify it and now....lol just realised I don't care and can't be arses to continue.

enjoy the game guys lol

That's the point, this was meant to be PvP heavy in the spirit of DAoC. And they were pretty lore friendly. I have complained about some parts but still.... "lol" I just realized that you haven't been following the game at all.

Cheers.

Was banned for a long time because I kept arguing with people about how stupid the designers seem to be as they are making design choices that make no sense...I was right.

• ColdrenColdren Member UncommonPosts: 495

I wonder if there was a miscommunication among departments...

The actual store page on the ESO site for the digital imperial edition does not list the ability to play ANY race on any faction, but to play an IMPERIAL in any race/faction..

https://account.elderscrollsonline.com/store

Maybe it's all a mix up? Who knows.. Either way, bought it. The ability to play any race/faction doesn't influence my opinion of the game at all anyway.

• CazNeergCazNeerg Member Posts: 2,198
    You've got to remember, narratively speaking, just like in an offline Elder Scrolls game, there is only one player character.  So it's not like if you play an Orc in the Aldmeri Dominion that means they are letting in tons of Orcs.  All it necessarily means is that they let in one Orc.  Anybody who has played the game at a convention (therefore not under NDA) can confirm that the NPCs in the given factions were never "race locked" in any significant way, you can see multiple "outsider" races in any region.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
    Through passion, I gain strength.
    Through strength, I gain power.
    Through power, I gain victory.
    Through victory, my chains are broken.
    The Force shall free me.

• lunatiquezlunatiquez Member UncommonPosts: 381

So, what if the late players who weren't able to purchase the pre-order also want to play as any race in any alliance in the future?

Can you see it?

Microtransactions

• UhwopUhwop Member UncommonPosts: 1,791
    Originally posted by Coldren

I wonder if there was a miscommunication among departments...

The actual store page on the ESO site for the digital imperial edition does not list the ability to play ANY race on any faction, but to play an IMPERIAL in any race/faction..

https://account.elderscrollsonline.com/store

Maybe it's all a mix up? Who knows.. Either way, bought it. The ability to play any race/faction doesn't influence my opinion of the game at all anyway.

It's just presented a little odd is all. 

It's a pre purchase PLUS an explorers pack.  The any race in any alliance looks to be a part of the explorers pack, not really the pre purchases; even though everyone that pre orders gets the explorers pack.  

• muthaxmuthax Member UncommonPosts: 703

• PLAY ANY RACE
      IN ANY ALLIANCE

Dunno about you guys, but to me this is not ok as a pre-order perk, and it also seems wrong lore wise.

Its wrong lore wise for it to be otherwise, alliances should never have been based on race type, that their allowing this in pre-orders must mean that the backlash from that never actually went away. image

I agree with you, but this is pissing me off. They've been going on and on about faction pride. That's unsettling. Their recent attempt at crowd pleasing is hurting their initial vision of the game.

I have to ask what vision?

They took the vision of previous ES games of freedom to choose race, class, skills and said faction locked races and fixed classes are cool. PVP suddenly becomes the focus and reason for their design. They then change to lore to fit their 'Vision' to justify it and now....lol just realised I don't care and can't be arses to continue.

enjoy the game guys lol

That's the point, this was meant to be PvP heavy in the spirit of DAoC. And they were pretty lore friendly. I have complained about some parts but still.... "lol" I just realized that you haven't been following the game at all.

Cheers.

Was banned for a long time because I kept arguing with people about how stupid the designers seem to be as they are making design choices that make no sense...I was right.

Hmmm no you weren't

• DJProfKDJProfK Member Posts: 19

I don't know how so many are suprised.

The game been riddled with nonsense since the early talks just about everything in the game.

Just forget about the game, and let it become F2P in less than a year if you really want to try it.

Maybe, just maybe, this is the reason why Beth said during Morrowind times, and later on on Oblivion times... "No online Elder Scrolls ever" for a reason. Nothing seems right on this game branded with the ES name.

• SilveruneSilverune Member UncommonPosts: 128

• PLAY ANY RACE
      IN ANY ALLIANCE

Not happy with this either, they are supposed to be at war with each other? Also I can see a lot of people flocking to one faction now that will make that faction overpopulated and imbalanced in Cyrodiil.

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

Hmm... I would have preferred a betrayal quest as in EQ2, but I don't mind. It would be sad, though, it no NPC ever reacted to it.

I guess their main reason was that too many player would prefer a certain race, but their friends love races of other alliances. In that way friends with different preferrences can still cooperate. I gues it's ok. A faction should be about ideas more than races. But as I said, I had preferred if the player had to put some effort into it, like in the Everquest II betrayal quest.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• muthaxmuthax Member UncommonPosts: 703
    Originally posted by DJProfK

I don't know how so many are suprised.

The game been riddled with nonsense since the early talks just about everything in the game.

Just forget about the game, and let it become F2P in less than a year if you really want to try it.

Maybe, just maybe, this is the reason why Beth said during Morrowind times, and later on on Oblivion times... "No online Elder Scrolls ever" for a reason. Nothing seems right on this game branded with the ES name.

Honestly,I rather think with my brain and try the game now, especially since playing the beta has showed me how many idiots post absolute bullshit on this forum.

Hell, I made a list of people who to never trust and there is still space in it

• stealthbrstealthbr Member UncommonPosts: 1,054

There are few things I believe to be noteworthy regarding all of this. First, it is blatantly obvious that the Explorer's Pack (they even gave it a name) will be available for purchase sometime after launch, as will the Imperial Race. To not have these in the cash shop post-launch would be a bad move, business-wise. Second, I don't quite understand why they decided to add this now instead of during the game's initial development stages. It completely goes against the lore they themselves created for the factions, and how certain races united with each other for specific reasons. While it is, in my opinion, a change for the greater good of the game (freedom to play the race you want in the faction you want), it most certainly resonates as a screw up from their part. The same reasoning I also use to judge their decision of adding Imperials as a playable race. Again, it goes against the lore they created for the game, and they should have been included from the start.

Regardless, these inconsistencies are, in the grand scheme of things, rather minor. Faction pride I believe will still exist, regardless of the races you are fighting with and against, because it is more about the colors you represent (not literally of course) than from where you were born in-game. I believe it is a better decision to allow players to pick a race, independent of the faction, because it grants a lot more freedom to build your character to your exact specifications.

With all that being said, I was already going to pre-order the game (I always like to reserve names in MMO's) and will still be doing so. I will probably purchase the Imperial edition, considering it will cost me around $60 (I will pay in another currency).

• RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785
    Originally posted by Silverune

• PLAY ANY RACE
      IN ANY ALLIANCE

Not happy with this either, they are supposed to be at war with each other? Also I can see a lot of people flocking to one faction now that will make that faction overpopulated and imbalanced in Cyrodiil.

You mean like WWII when we were at war with the Japanese and rounded the ones living in the US up and put them into camps?

Just because one or more nations are at war doesn't preclude individuals from choosing sides!

Also, this is one of the best collector's bonuses I've ever seen. Love the idea.

Originally posted by Elikal

Hmm... I would have preferred a betrayal quest as in EQ2, but I don't mind. It would be sad, though, it no NPC ever reacted to it.

I guess their main reason was that too many player would prefer a certain race, but their friends love races of other alliances. In that way friends with different preferrences can still cooperate. I gues it's ok. A faction should be about ideas more than races. But as I said, I had preferred if the player had to put some effort into it, like in the Everquest II betrayal quest.

It also takes care of any balance complaints people might have had about certain racial skill lines only being available to certain factions.

The Force shall free me.

• muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585

"Zenimax,  let us play any race in any alliance!!!"

"No."

"Boo.  you guys are so stupid."

"Ok,  you can play any race in any alliance."

"Boo.  you guys are so stuipid."

Originally posted by muffins89

"No."

Pretty much.

The Force shall free me.

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829

Damnit, it just hit me that this will make my choice of race all that much harder!

Where's the undo button that pre-order?! image

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• DAS1337DAS1337 Member UncommonPosts: 2,610

Wow.. I really am quite shocked.  The whole concept of the three faction combat was that three races were in alliance with each other.  Though, I suppose it makes sense that there are going to be characters who turn their back on their home and kingdom, and fight for the other side for some reason.   I just see it as flying directly in the face of what has been said since day one.  Also that whole thing about not wanting to be P2W.  While we don't know the exact details, what we do know is that people who paid more, sooner, will gain access to extra racials, crafting styles and probably a number of other things that I can't think of right now.  So, they are basically selling skills lines and other perks, which is the definition of P2W.  I'm obviously commenting on the 'play as imperial' section of the CE.  As with everything else, I'll be waiting on confirmation from a developer.  But, if this is the direction they are going, how do you trust a company like this?  Why wait until now to release information telling us that we can play any race we'd like?  Why not design three factions, send us through a story quest line, and allow us to pick the alliance that we want in the first place?

This is just ZOS making a quick buck for something that should already be included in the original game.  Yes, you don't have to buy it, but that's not the point.  The point is, this option should have been in the game from day one.  Even if it wasn't, what about adding it in as an expansion?  Perhaps a story line would release thousands of Imperial prisoners, making it make sense for any person to play them, no matter their alliance.  They find out about the Molag Bol thing, and decide to fight with the alliances.  No, too hard right?

They would rather lie to us, design a game a certain way, then at the very end, make you pay for what should be in the game for free.  How is that acceptable?  Do you guys buy cars and pay extra for a steering wheel?  Then charge you twice the cost of a steering wheel to include it.   No, that's not acceptable.

• kilunkilun Member UncommonPosts: 829
    I'm guessing the "Explorer's pack" will be a MTX option if you do not pre-order for late bloomers into the game.
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591

There are traitors all through history. To me this makes the game world and lore more believable.

I actually like it

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• JJ82JJ82 Member UncommonPosts: 1,258

• PLAY ANY RACE
      IN ANY ALLIANCE

Of course it never went away, no amount of advertising, paid posters hyping the game will take away what is happening on every TES site, official or fan based.

Doesn't matter, the game is a cash grab, this is just more proof the people making the game know nothing about TES, they only wanted to make DaoC 2 and were forced to use the TES IP by the corporation funding the project. Anything to sucker as many people into buying the game as possible before the F2P conversion to stem the flow of people that will leave in mass.

"People who tell you you’re awesome are useless. No, dangerous.

They are worse than useless because you want to believe them. They will defend you against critiques that are valid. They will seduce you into believing you are done learning, or into thinking that your work is better than it actually is." ~Raph Koster
    http://www.raphkoster.com/2013/10/14/on-getting-criticism/

• muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585
    GMG just emailed me a 25% ESO coupon.  looks like im getting the imperial edition.
  • ColdrenColdren Member UncommonPosts: 495
    Originally posted by kilun
    I'm guessing the "Explorer's pack" will be a MTX option if you do not pre-order for late bloomers into the game.

I agree.

And everyone, take note:

Not every single person of every single race decided to ally exactly as set up. The governing bodies that REPRESENT each race made that decision, not individuals who share a collective bias.

Governments can act one way, but individuals can always act another.

Originally posted by CazNeerg
    Originally posted by muffins89

"No."

Pretty much.

As it is in life, things aren't always that simple.  Though I see where you ignored logic to get someone to laugh.

The intelligent people will recognize that it has nothing to do with the decision to allow it, nor does it have anything to do with the people who wanted it.  

It has everything to do with the fact that it should have been implemented day one of development.  The lore should have supported it, rather than directly going against it entirely.  They would have had so many different options on how to display the choice of alliance to the player.  The vast majority of the early game would likely have been different.  Now, you'll be born into an alliance as an 'enemy race', with no explanation as to how that came about in your story line.  

Some people like the immersive factor of an experience.  This really hurts immersion.  The lore in this story does not support the reality in the game.  Imperial enemy, racial alliances, now making completely no sense.  And no additional story to explain the change.  People aren't bitching about playing imperials or any race in any faction as much as they are bitching that it makes zero sense and it appears that ZOS is trying to literally steal our money in a P2W fashion.

Though, I don't suspect that will make sense to some people.  Sometimes, I've learned that no amount of logic and reason can sway certain groups of people.

Originally posted by laserit

There are traitors all through history. To me this makes the game world and lore more believable.

I actually like it

Traitors would be one thing, but every faction that you will play is going to have whatever TES race is the most popular.  Which means, if it's Nords at this point, You'll have Nords vs Nords vs Nords and some other races.  It actually doesn't make sense if you ACTUALLY think about it.  If the alliances weren't built on racial alliances, then it would make sense.  The lore tells us this fact.  The lore tells us we are fighting Imperials.  Except that it isn't true now.  Now we are fighting player imperials and alliances aren't locked to races from the beginning.  That is the exact opposite of the lore.

Just because it is a TES game, doesn't mean you need to be a blind follower no matter what choice they make.