Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Xbox One versus PS4

Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

Another reason to go for PS4...

You dont need a PS online abbo to play Elderscrolls online 

On the XboX One you need both a microsoft gold abbo as well as an elder scrolls abbo..

personally i think thats very greedy of Microsoft..

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

Comments

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Never mind that the PS4 has 50% more GPU resources available than the XB1.

http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/156273-xbox-720-vs-ps4-vs-pc-how-the-hardware-specs-compare

It doesn't matter.  People are going to buy just as many or more XB1s as they buy PS4s.  The reasons will have nothing to do with performance or cost.  They are already willing to spend more money on the XB360 & XBLive Memberships.  I don't see why that would change now.

I think it's a good thing though.  Sony will keep putting effort into the PS4 so that it's a better deal because they have to.  That's got to be worth something.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591

"xbox  turn off"     "XBOX turn off"     "XBOX TURN OFF"

"XBOX TURRRRNNNN

OFFFFFF"

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• UhwopUhwop Member UncommonPosts: 1,791
    Originally posted by laserit

"XBOX TURRRRNNNN

OFFFFFF"

Most obnoxious console ever. 

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by Dewguy79

They are both good consoles

agree

• sayuusayuu Member RarePosts: 766

They are both good consoles, this is the fourth thread on this subject isn't there rules against this?  But anyways it won't affect xbox at all.  Those who play online games already have xbox live just like those who play online games on ps4 have the plus.  

They are both selling relatively well with the ps4 selling 300,000 more but they are also I'm 48 territories compared to 13 for the xbox.  Sorry but the xbox just like the ps4 is not going to crash and burn. 

http://www.ibtimes.com/xbox-one-vs-ps4-next-gen-consoles-may-be-close-sales-1547658

Also in the largest market for both the US the Xbox one outsold the PS4 in December.  

http://www.forbes.com/sites/davidthier/2014/01/16/xbox-one-outsells-ps4-in-us-for-holiday-season/

Show me one post before yours in this thread where someone said the xbone is going to fail. . .

show me 

. . .oh, wait. . .

**on topic**

why not just play it on a PC? its not like MMO's require cutting edge tech to play.

Also consoles have limited HD space. 

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

I agree that it doesn't matter.

If you look at in in a vacuum - if ESO is the only game you were to ever play on your XBone, and for that you'd need the XBone ($100 more) + XBL Gold ($60/yr more) + ESO sub, versus the PS4... then yeah, it sucks.

But people don't do that. They tend to play more than one game, and XBL Gold gets used for more than just ESO.

I'm not trying to defend Microsoft, I hate XBL and don't own a XBone (or plan on owning one), and I'm very glad that Sony didn't require PS+ for ESO (or online gaming in general) --- but looking at it in a vacuum with one game, and pretending that XBL doesn't apply for other things as well is more than a bit misleading.

• PyatraPyatra Member Posts: 644
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

Another reason to go for PS4...

You dont need a PS online abbo to play Elderscrolls online 

On the XboX One you need both a microsoft gold abbo as well as an elder scrolls abbo..

personally i think thats very greedy of Microsoft..

I heard that it is the same with Indie games both sub and f2p.  Sony is allowing several indie f2p games a pass on the subscription, basically they are treating everyone the same, but in a way that promotes the games.  XB1 is treating every one the same too, because their being complete dicks to developers who want to port online games whether big title or Indie.

• IncomparableIncomparable Member UncommonPosts: 1,138

Why buy consoles in the first place?

Consoles cost a few hundred, and then games cost a lot as well.

You could buy a mid range pc, then buy games from steam for example at a discount and at better performance than a console.

I think it works out that buy a new mid range pc will be more cost effective (gaming long term) and better over all performance than a console.

“Write bad things that are done to you in sand, but write the good things that happen to you on a piece of marble”

• gamerman98gamerman98 Member UncommonPosts: 807

Originally posted by Pyatra Originally posted by Lord.Bachus Another reason to go for PS4...   You dont need a PS online abbo to play Elderscrolls online  On the XboX One you need both a microsoft gold abbo as well as an elder scrolls abbo..     personally i think thats very greedy of Microsoft..  
    I heard that it is the same with Indie games both sub and f2p.  Sony is allowing several indie f2p games a pass on the subscription, basically they are treating everyone the same, but in a way that promotes the games.  XB1 is treating every one the same too, because their being complete dicks to developers who want to port online games whether big title or Indie.
     And yet xbox live subs are up 18% to 43m.  People don't get xbox live to play indie f2p games they get xbox live for the user interface.  Those who play online games already have xbox live it's only an issue for the ps4 fans that need to make up reasons why ps is better then xbox.  

and yet im a ps4 owner who has a major distaste for Xbox one. Sales to me don't matter, its the fact that the ps4 was made for gamers, and xbox one was made the way it is because they tried to screw over their own fanbase.

• UhwopUhwop Member UncommonPosts: 1,791
    Originally posted by Incomparable

You could buy a mid range pc, then buy games from steam for example at a discount and at better performance than a console.

I think it works out that buy a new mid range pc will be more cost effective (gaming long term) and better over all performance than a console.

A "mid range" PC, even one you build, will cost you about the same as a PS4, and you're not getting the same level of performance. 

There is no unified PC architecture that allows game developers to optimize a PC game like they do on a console.  Even having a high end computer doesn't guarantee you "better performance" just because you have a high end PC. 

Some PC games are designed to run better on Nvidia cards, and are horrible on AMD, then vice versa.  Some utilize dual cores, others only single core and run sluggish on duals. 

Developers like developing  for consoles because they know exactly what they're going to get.  Developing for PC means having to ensure the game runs on a varied of hardware configurations and from low end to high end. 

There is no such thing as minimum and recommended requirements for a console. 

Not to mention, you're not getting the same graphics, at the same performance, on a mid range pc that the new consoles are giving. 

The PS4, more so than the XBO, is giving you the same gaming performance that you would get from a high end gaming PC, at a fraction of the cost. 

• LexiteLexite Member UncommonPosts: 165
    Originally posted by Uhwop

A "mid range" PC, even one you build, will cost you about the same as a PS4, and you're not getting the same level of performance. 

There is no unified PC architecture that allows game developers to optimize a PC game like they do on a console.  Even having a high end computer doesn't guarantee you "better performance" just because you have a high end PC. 

Some PC games are designed to run better on Nvidia cards, and are horrible on AMD, then vice versa.  Some utilize dual cores, others only single core and run sluggish on duals. 

Developers like developing  for consoles because they know exactly what they're going to get.  Developing for PC means having to ensure the game runs on a varied of hardware configurations and from low end to high end. 

Not to mention, you're not getting the same graphics, at the same performance, on a mid range pc that the new consoles are giving. 

The PS4, more so than the XBO, is giving you the same gaming performance that you would get from a high end gaming PC, at a fraction of the cost. 

this, you resume the whole thing im trying to explain to my friend perfectly, im saving what you just wrote

I7 920 @ 2.7ghz (8 cpu total)
    12 gig DDR3 ram
    Nvidia Geforce 560 GTX TI
    window 7 64bit

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

While the PS4 is capable of a  higher resolution/better graphics than the Xbone, its still only comparable to a mid range PC, the graphics, really are not in the same league as a high end PC. Generally speaking, it doesn't make that much difference whether a game is optimised for nvidia or not, performance wise, we're usually only talking of a few frames/second, at least for gpu's of comparable ability. As for the rest, i am not aware of any game that didn't run better on a gaming PC than it did on a console, more often than not, the 'adverts' you see on TV for games are from the PC versions because they look better, this was something that happened a lot for PS3/Xbox360 games, even for the upcoming Titanfail game, its already been said that the graphics on the PC will be better. This is just how it is, the next gen consoles are not actually, next gen technology, their already more than 1 generation behind the PC in terms of graphics.image

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Originally posted by Phry
    Originally posted by Uhwop Originally posted by Incomparable Why buy consoles in the first place? Consoles cost a few hundred, and then games cost a lot as well. You could buy a mid range pc, then buy games from steam for example at a discount and at better performance than a console. I think it works out that buy a new mid range pc will be more cost effective (gaming long term) and better over all performance than a console.
    A "mid range" PC, even one you build, will cost you about the same as a PS4, and you're not getting the same level of performance.  There is no unified PC architecture that allows game developers to optimize a PC game like they do on a console.  Even having a high end computer doesn't guarantee you "better performance" just because you have a high end PC.  Some PC games are designed to run better on Nvidia cards, and are horrible on AMD, then vice versa.  Some utilize dual cores, others only single core and run sluggish on duals.  Developers like developing  for consoles because they know exactly what they're going to get.  Developing for PC means having to ensure the game runs on a varied of hardware configurations and from low end to high end.  There is no such thing as minimum and recommended requirements for a console.    Not to mention, you're not getting the same graphics, at the same performance, on a mid range pc that the new consoles are giving.  The PS4, more so than the XBO, is giving you the same gaming performance that you would get from a high end gaming PC, at a fraction of the cost. 
    While the PS4 is capable of a  higher resolution/better graphics than the Xbone, its still only comparable to a mid range PC, the graphics, really are not in the same league as a high end PC. Generally speaking, it doesn't make that much difference whether a game is optimised for nvidia or not, performance wise, we're usually only talking of a few frames/second, at least for gpu's of comparable ability. As for the rest, i am not aware of any game that didn't run better on a gaming PC than it did on a console, more often than not, the 'adverts' you see on TV for games are from the PC versions because they look better, this was something that happened a lot for PS3/Xbox360 games, even for the upcoming Titanfail game, its already been said that the graphics on the PC will be better. This is just how it is, the next gen consoles are not actually, next gen technology, their already more than 1 generation behind the PC in terms of graphics.

I'll try to keep that in mind while I'm playing the plethora of AAA PS4 exclusives.
  • TelilTelil Member Posts: 282

Hmm i have read many tech reviews of both consoles. From proper tech gurus and not ones that want to prove one console is better.

They all pretty much say the same. The PS4 has a slightly higher graphics capability. They also say that to the naked eye the differences will be so minimal that it doesnt really make much of a differnece if any at all.

Also no indie developer can afford to port the game differently for each console. So they make one game that will run on both consoles. Isn't that common sense from a business side?

Originally posted by Foomerang

Originally posted by Incomparable Why buy consoles in the first place? Consoles cost a few hundred, and then games cost a lot as well. You could buy a mid range pc, then buy games from steam for example at a discount and at better performance than a console. I think it works out that buy a new mid range pc will be more cost effective (gaming long term) and better over all performance than a console.
    A "mid range" PC, even one you build, will cost you about the same as a PS4, and you're not getting the same level of performance.  There is no unified PC architecture that allows game developers to optimize a PC game like they do on a console.  Even having a high end computer doesn't guarantee you "better performance" just because you have a high end PC.  Some PC games are designed to run better on Nvidia cards, and are horrible on AMD, then vice versa.  Some utilize dual cores, others only single core and run sluggish on duals.  Developers like developing  for consoles because they know exactly what they're going to get.  Developing for PC means having to ensure the game runs on a varied of hardware configurations and from low end to high end.  There is no such thing as minimum and recommended requirements for a console.    Not to mention, you're not getting the same graphics, at the same performance, on a mid range pc that the new consoles are giving.  The PS4, more so than the XBO, is giving you the same gaming performance that you would get from a high end gaming PC, at a fraction of the cost. 
    While the PS4 is capable of a  higher resolution/better graphics than the Xbone, its still only comparable to a mid range PC, the graphics, really are not in the same league as a high end PC. Generally speaking, it doesn't make that much difference whether a game is optimised for nvidia or not, performance wise, we're usually only talking of a few frames/second, at least for gpu's of comparable ability. As for the rest, i am not aware of any game that didn't run better on a gaming PC than it did on a console, more often than not, the 'adverts' you see on TV for games are from the PC versions because they look better, this was something that happened a lot for PS3/Xbox360 games, even for the upcoming Titanfail game, its already been said that the graphics on the PC will be better. This is just how it is, the next gen consoles are not actually, next gen technology, their already more than 1 generation behind the PC in terms of graphics.
    I'll try to keep that in mind while I'm playing the plethora of AAA PS4 exclusives.

at least the PS4 can run games natively at 1920x1080, thats more than the Xbone can do, and AAA PS4 exclusives, might mean its not on the Xbone, but possibly also on the PC, similar architecture and all that image

at least the PS4 can run games natively at 1920x1080, thats more than the Xbone can do, and AAA PS4 exclusives, might mean its not on the Xbone, but possibly also on the PC, similar architecture and all that

Pretty much every console game I own is not available on the PC (at least not at launch). If its multiplatform, I typically get the PC version. I dont get people who deny themselves access to outstanding console games simply because the hardware is weaker than a pc. If there are amazing games exclusive to a particular platform, i buy the platform. It typically has to be at least three exclusives for me to make the purchase though.

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361

"XBOX TURRRRNNNN

OFFFFFF"

This is exactly what i constantly listen to when i go to my friends house, him repeating a command over and over with each time raising his voice when it could have taken half the time and me not being annoyed if he just uses a remote or controller.

at least the PS4 can run games natively at 1920x1080, thats more than the Xbone can do, and AAA PS4 exclusives, might mean its not on the Xbone, but possibly also on the PC, similar architecture and all that

Pretty much every console game I own is not available on the PC (at least not at launch). If its multiplatform, I typically get the PC version. I dont get people who deny themselves access to outstanding console games simply because the hardware is weaker than a pc. If there are amazing games exclusive to a particular platform, i buy the platform. It typically has to be at least three exclusives for me to make the purchase though.

quite a few of the games i play aren't available on console, admittedly, their indie games but, that's one of the advantages of a PC, that and Steam, probably the best online retailer going image

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    Originally posted by ElRenmazuo

"XBOX

TURRRRNNNN

OFFFFFF"

This is exactly what i constantly listen to when i go to my friends house, him repeating a command over and over with each time raising his voice when it could have taken half the time and me not being annoyed if he just uses a remote or controller.

Yes it's pretty comical listening to my step son yell at his Xbox lol. I just prefer the PC myself, the only game that appealed to me that I couldn't get for my PC was Read Dead Redemption.

Call me old, but I just suck with a controller and that's the main reason why I wont purchase a console. If they coded console games to use a keyboard and mouse... things might be different.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• grndzrogrndzro Member UncommonPosts: 1,162

PS4 will emulate PS1 and PS2 games.

PS4 50% more powerful GPU

PS4 10% more powerful CPU

PS4 60% more bandwidth

PS4 has less OS overhead

PS4 has better API (OGL is faster than DX)

PS4 has replaceable hard drive

PS4 has online titles that do not require PS+

PS4 is less expensive.

Originally posted by Incomparable Why buy consoles in the first place? Consoles cost a few hundred, and then games cost a lot as well. You could buy a mid range pc, then buy games from steam for example at a discount and at better performance than a console. I think it works out that buy a new mid range pc will be more cost effective (gaming long term) and better over all performance than a console.

at least the PS4 can run games natively at 1920x1080, thats more than the Xbone can do, and AAA PS4 exclusives, might mean its not on the Xbone, but possibly also on the PC, similar architecture and all that image

Man you guys really like to swing for the fences on your lies don't you. The desperation to bash the xbox is just weird.  

Xbox will run and does run games at 1080 native.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/alien-isolation-runs-in-1080p-on-xbox-one-and-playstation-4/1100-6417012/

http://www.vg247.com/2013/12/09/tomb-raider-definitive-edition-xbox-one-runs-at-native-1080p/

Tomb raider XB1 is upscaled from 900P @ 30FPS nice try

Alien Isolation is not released yet.

*Edit* I'd love to forget this post but quoters screwed me! I'm wrong

Originally posted by grndzro

Man you guys really like to swing for the fences on your lies don't you. The desperation to bash the xbox is just weird.  

Xbox will run and does run games at 1080 native.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/alien-isolation-runs-in-1080p-on-xbox-one-and-playstation-4/1100-6417012/

http://www.vg247.com/2013/12/09/tomb-raider-definitive-edition-xbox-one-runs-at-native-1080p/

Tomb raider XB1 is upscaled from 900P @ 30FPS nice try

Alien Isolation is not released yet.

So I take it you didn't read the article.  Xbox one is 1080 native for TR please read before you comment.  Nice try!

Here is an article you PS4 fans should read.

http://screenrobot.com/attempting-explain-xbox-one-hating-subculture/

Read that....THEY LIED!

http://www.videogamer.com/xboxone/tomb_raider_definitive_edition/news/tomb_raider_definitive_editions_cutscenes_are_900p_on_xbox_one.html

I thought I did.

Anyway 1080P @ 30fps with dips down to 18fps shouldn't be considered capable 1080P IMO.

I'd rather have 900P upscaled @60fps.

Originally posted by Foomerang   Originally posted by Phry at least the PS4 can run games natively at 1920x1080, thats more than the Xbone can do, and AAA PS4 exclusives, might mean its not on the Xbone, but possibly also on the PC, similar architecture and all that
    quite a few of the games i play aren't available on console, admittedly, their indie games but, that's one of the advantages of a PC, that and Steam, probably the best online retailer going

Same. Lots of indie love on steam and on consoles too these days. The WiiU has first party games I cant get any where else though. Same with my 3DS.

Funny my personal goty this year is Zelda for 3ds, and my goty last year was Journey (indie game ps3 exclusive).

Guess my point is you never know where youre going to find that game that brings it all back for you. So why set arbitrary limits on what you can experience based on hardware specs?

• PrecusorPrecusor Member UncommonPosts: 3,589

I have to agree with this.. the PS4 is a really pleasant surprise and i would definitely recommend anyone getting ps4 instead of mid range gaming PC.