Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Over $200,000.00 lost in 12 hours EVE Online

jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529

This is probably something very unique even for an MMO as on the 1st anniversary of 'Asakai' (the previous record holder for most 'destroyed money in an MMO'), we have 'BR-5' where over $100,000 were destroyed in the last 12 hours.

Guesstimate as of time of this post is around $150,000 with 60 Titans destroyed.

http://themittani.com/news/breaking-massive-supercap-battle-br-5

With Asakai landing DBRB (A player who started the mess) a full 2-page feature on PC Gamer, I can just see this one creating more people that CCP will love to send media to.

Heck Wall Street Journal did a profile on 'The Mittani' so who knows this time?

Anyway, thought it was an interesting topic to discuss on a unique event.

Which other genre can you lose a cost of a small house in 12 hours? :)

Extending this thought, what are your stance on 'ownership of digitial goods'.

Game News sites will have 'over 100k lost!' title tomorrow, does this make sense when the player don't actually own it?

Update 1: Apparently 70 titans (around $3000 each) were destroyed making this fight cost over $200,000 just on titans.

You include dreads, supercaps etc.... jeez.. That is a payment for a house!

Gdemami -
Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

Comments

• Kevyne-ShandrisKevyne-Shandris Member UncommonPosts: 2,077

Maybe now Mitty can bankroll, EvE?

I'm sure the forumites can all chip in more than $10 to help. Or, suit up as Dust-bunnies to help CCP out. ;)

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

Just a little sensationalism? Nobody lost $100K. Just because that's what it would cost to buy the ISK with real money,doesn't mean that's what it's worth. I am sure those ships were created through other means in the 1st place.

The only thing people lost is a lot of hobby time.

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer

Just a little sensationalism? Nobody lost $100K. Just because that's what it would cost to buy the ISK with real money,doesn't mean that's what it's worth. I am sure those ships were created through other means in the 1st place.

Lets get real here, what is the gaming media going to name their news story tomorrow about this?

Most likely '$150,000 Lost in EVE Online Battle!'

I agree it isn't actual currency but does that matter? Perception is reality these days.

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

Players can lose RL money in EvE. Time-codes are RL bought as can PLEX be bought with RL money.

All things in EvE can be bought with ISK or funded by RL money trading via Time-codes and PLEX, including some very pricey ships and blueprints.

I have at least 4bil worth of construction blueprints alone (no capital components as I won't give Mitty a single ISK). They were all bought with RL money -- they will never leave that facility, as I'm not losing RL money in EvE, and I don't care how CCP changes it's policies.

• Spawne32Spawne32 Member Posts: 6
    I lost about $100 bucks to eve online 2 years ago, havent looked back since. I was griefed and glitched in a $3 billion dollar ship I used only in high sec pve, and somehow they managed to attack me, but I couldnt return fire, and concord wouldnt intervene, and i wound up just sitting there getting blasted to death. Canceled my sub and never renewed it, and I was a long standing player for at least 4-5 years. CCP has their own share of problems with catering to griefers and pvp only players, they have made it painfully clear that there is no room for pve in that game.
  • shoguns420shoguns420 Member Posts: 4
    Originally posted by Kevyne-Shandris

I have at least 4bil worth of construction blueprints alone (no capital components as I won't give Mitty a single ISK). They were all bought with RL money -- they will never leave that facility, as I'm not losing RL money in EvE, and I don't care how CCP changes it's policies.

What happened to if there is no paladin I wont even play it?

Originally posted by shoguns420

What happened to if there is no paladin I wont even play it?

Oh, I cured that issue. ;)

Had to be a reason my toon's from Amarr, right? 8)

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

When talking numbers, I wish the media would move away from dollars and cents and look at the number of players that participated in it. Some MMOs don't even have a thousand players on a server to even try to pull something like this off, let alone have it occur as regularly as it does in EVE. I mean, even the 150-400 pilot battles are simply amazing when you consider that in most online games, 128 is an extreme number of players in a single event. 

To get a gauge of how common those battles are, I once asked CCP Diagoras who worked in statistics how often a 150+ player battle occurs in EVE. His answer was "Hourly."

Getting over 100 people from around the world together at a specific time for a 1-3 hour event is pretty darn incredible. A couple thousand is nothing short of amazing.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• grndzrogrndzro Member UncommonPosts: 1,162
    The funny thing is the actual $$ lost on supercarriers, dreadnoughts, and Battleships far exceeds the cost in Titans. If 70 Titans were destroyed you can imagine the other ship casualties were something absurd like 2000 other ships.
  • jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529
    Originally posted by Loktofeit

When talking numbers, I wish the media would move away from dollars and cents and look at the number of players that participated in it. Some MMOs don't even have a thousand players on a server to even try to pull something like this off, let alone have it occur as regularly as it does in EVE. I mean, even the 150-400 pilot battles are simply amazing when you consider that in most online games, 128 is an extreme number of players in a single event. 

To get a gauge of how common those battles are, I once asked CCP Diagoras who worked in statistics how often a 150+ player battle occurs in EVE. His answer was "Hourly."

Getting over 100 people from around the world together at a specific time for a 1-3 hour event is pretty darn incredible. A couple thousand is nothing short of amazing.

Gotta give credit for keeping that node up with 2200+ people, I was expecting another HED.

I will admit that while I enjoyed the fact thousands of dollars was going up in flames, it wasn't the most 'flashy' stream to show non-EVE people.

"2200 people fight in a spaceship game!"

sounds terrible next to '$200,000 lost in a spaceship game!'. All about the clicks baby. :P

Gdemami -

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230
    Originally posted by jpnz
    Originally posted by Loktofeit

Gotta give credit for keeping that node up with 2200+ people, I was expecting another HED.

I will admit that while I enjoyed the fact thousands of dollars was going up in flames, it wasn't the most 'flashy' stream to show non-EVE people.

"2200 people fight in a spaceship game!"

sounds terrible next to '$200,000 lost in a spaceship game!'. All about the clicks baby. :P

To be honest to people not familiar with Eve, a fight of these proportions is an hours long lag-fest. That's what it looks like and that's what it is. It is very different from what the fans make it sound like. It is anything but smooth. Anything but exciting.

Many Eve players avoid fights just like this because they are so boring and take ages to resolve. And you're right the streams are not that interesting to watch.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960
    Gotta love the fact that people claim PLEX isn't RMT, yet losses in the game are regularly expressed as a dollar value...

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230
    Originally posted by Solar_Prophet
    Gotta love the fact that people claim PLEX isn't RMT, yet losses in the game are regularly expressed as a dollar value...

It's sensationalism.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

Originally posted by Solar_Prophet

Like when? You do know PLEX can be bought in game with RL money, right? (Nevermind thought you said otherwise).

Yeah, Real Money Transaction.

I thought CCP put a memo out after the Gage rage-a-thon when he lost his prized ship, that ship losses aren't to be expressed as RL money losses?

• IPolygonIPolygon Member UncommonPosts: 707
    Originally posted by Impsy
    Too bad EvE is a terrible game so no one really cares.

It may be a terrible game, but it got the best community.

Players can lose RL money in EvE. Time-codes are RL bought as can PLEX be bought with RL money.

All things in EvE can be bought with ISK or funded by RL money trading via Time-codes and PLEX, including some very pricey ships and blueprints.

Yes, I know that there are players who buy Plex and aren't careful enough and lose it when they get jumped.

I'm not talking about this. I am talking about the over exaggeration that happens it seems only when we talk about EVE where every single PVP battle has to have some kind of real world monetary cost as if this is what EVE is really about. It's complete BS. What about some of the Asian games? Where people drop lots of real money on failed RNG attempts? Nobody ever keeps track of that. But no in EVE, someone's always there to do the aftermath (Litterally) of a PVP battle and calculate the cost in the loss of ships based on how much it would cost to replace using Plex.......as if that would happen.

• SirPKsAlotSirPKsAlot Member Posts: 224
    This is like someone losing their Pokemon cards. The only value is in player perception, and the bubble pops once people lose interest. I guess the headline sells clicks though.

Currently playing: Eldevin Online as a Deadly Assassin

• cheeseheadscheeseheads Member UncommonPosts: 73
    I tried to watch this on twitch.tv but wow the combat was so slow.  Looked so laggy also.   Now i see why I never tried Eve just looks boring. 
  • free2playfree2play Member UncommonPosts: 2,043

Setting aside the optic real world value of Titan kills, based on Plex prices, the time sink value of 60 titans is how I view these kinds of fish in a barrel battles that EVE is notorious for. Add in, CCP actually take pride in their ability to rope thousands (of accounts) in to these over the top zerg-fests knowing the nodes can't support it and the end result is PvP locks that leave you for all intent and purpose, AFK in the battle because you are not really there except for 1 in 200 frames of it, assuming you are not outright disconnected. Add in the ISBoxing that dominates these fights and there we NOT thousands in the field, just thousands of accounts being mitigated by maybe 200 people. Everyone stonewalls the truth when everyone knows the way things really work in EVE Online. It's a miracle this game is even around.

Using Hype of massive real world loss failed to do anything productive in the other RMT factory called Entropia Online. It will fail to do anything for this game as well.

Originally posted by free2play

Setting aside the optic real world value of Titan kills, based on Plex prices, the time sink value of 60 titans is how I view these kinds of fish in a barrel battles that EVE is notorious for. Add in, CCP actually take pride in their ability to rope thousands (of accounts) in to these over the top zerg-fests knowing the nodes can't support it and the end result is PvP locks that leave you for all intent and purpose, AFK in the battle because you are not really there except for 1 in 200 frames of it, assuming you are not outright disconnected. Add in the ISBoxing that dominates these fights and there we NOT thousands in the field, just thousands of accounts being mitigated by maybe 200 people. Everyone stonewalls the truth when everyone knows the way things really work in EVE Online. It's a miracle this game is even around.

Using Hype of massive real world loss failed to do anything productive in the other RMT factory called Entropia Online. It will fail to do anything for this game as well.

The thing that becomes so ironic, is EVE players will fight tooth and nail to counter the notion that EVE is P2W. The only thing I can say to that is.......If that's so, then stop throwing real world monetary figures around when calculating the cost of PVP battles.  

• daemondaemon Member UncommonPosts: 680
    Originally posted by free2play

well said.

• Beatnik59Beatnik59 Member UncommonPosts: 2,413
    Originally posted by jpnz

Which other genre can you lose a cost of a small house in 12 hours? :)

Extending this thought, what are your stance on 'ownership of digitial goods'.

I can think of two: Second Life and Entropia Universe.

The kind of deals that went on...and still might be going on...in those two games makes EVE look like a flea market.  When virtual real-estate deals are made and unmade for hundreds of thousands of dollars, it makes you wonder why we even invest in REAL real estate anymore.

Well, if we thought the housing bubble was a tragedy, the "virtual housing" bubble is a whole new level of tragedy.  Because at least real housing is something still attached to necessity.  The value of virtual goods, however, is subject to fashion, the current build du jour, and the desire of the publisher to keep the game open long term.

"...when it comes to pimping EVE I have little restraints."
    --Hellmar, CEO of CCP.

"It's like they took a gun, put it to their nugget sack and pulled the trigger over and over again, each time telling us how great it was that they were shooting themselves in the balls."
    --Exar_Kun on SWG's NGE

• MarkusrindMarkusrind Member Posts: 359

...as if millions of Excel spreadsheets suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced...

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910

This is why Bitcoin worries me. I still hide money under my mattress.

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

it was a lag fast ! even those with intel 2011 lagged  to irelevency .no skill was required just luck !