Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Worth starting for new player

2»

Comments

• BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662

Sometimes I get the urge of trying it out again but don't really know... In my opinion fractals was a pretty fucking bad idea.

Are normal dungeons still done? Last I played when I relogged with my elementalist I couldn't find a single person asking for some dungeon only spams of fractals only level x!! 

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    If you're into MMOs, you have to give GW2 a decent try. Guaranteed to entertain for a month at the least.. mileage after that may vary. It's worth checking out what a real modern attempt at MMOs is like though, whether you think it's successful or not.
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • n3verendRn3verendR Member UncommonPosts: 452

Best game world ever at first, there are a lot of little fun quirks and events.

Plus, if you have no clue what you are getting into... man!

However, it will fall off if you are trying to use it as a long term solution.

People think it's fun to pretend your a monster. Me I spend my life pretending I'm not. - Dexter Morgan

• StarS0ftStarS0ft Member UncommonPosts: 124
    Originally posted by Wootloops
    Originally posted by StarS0ft

you forgot to add: this is your very personal opinion.

for me: I leaved wow and play now 1.5 years in GW2 only and love this game. thanks to Arenanet :)

My statements are based on objective truths, not opinions.

does not matter, it's still just your personal opinion.

btw, grats Desolation for the World 1st kill of Triple-WURM :)

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614
    Originally posted by richkak

I've been having more free time than usual recently; would it be worth it to just play this game for a month or two? I'm just wondering if there are plenty of active players... 

Any other game suggestions would be much appreciated as well; I'm very open minded. Thanks!

In this game you cannot fall behind in a geargrind.

So yes, you can always start in this game and be relevant.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• WootloopsWootloops Member UncommonPosts: 165
    Originally posted by StarS0ft

does not matter, it's still just your personal opinion.

btw, grats Desolation for the World 1st kill of Triple-WURM :)

Given that they are objective truths, they are not opinions.

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066
    Originally posted by Corehaven
    Originally posted by Sajman01
    It's a great game until it stops being a great game. I know that sounds stupid but you'll love the game for a few months then wake up one day and be like 'this sucks' and it never gets better again.

THIS ^^  

You'll have a lot of fun at first, or you might.  It's a good game.  But after a couple of months there's not much to do, you've seen everything, and you'll have probably fully experienced everything you want to do with it. 

It's a wonderful short term mmo experience.  You can also go back and play it later anytime you want as there is no sub fee. 

This is also coming from a MAJOR GW2 fan back in the day.  But I have to admit I don't play it anymore and I thought I'd be playing it for a good long time.  I was wrong. 

Of course when you try other MMORPGs after GW2 they aren't even good in the short term.

Realistically, for the majority of players, the best part of an MMORPG is the leveling and the story and it the past the leveling and stories haven't been that great in MMORPGs.

The other thing that keep players around in MMORPGs are friends and time/money invested.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• simpliussimplius Member UncommonPosts: 1,134
    yes, this is prolly the most newbie-friendly mmo on the market
    Originally posted by Gaia_Hunter

Of course when you try other MMORPGs after GW2 they aren't even good in the short term.

Realistically, for the majority of players, the best part of an MMORPG is the leveling and the story and it the past the leveling and stories haven't been that great in MMORPGs.

The other thing that keep players around in MMORPGs are friends and time/money invested.

Guild Wars 2 is actually the least good in the short term, as it has the weakest sense of progression during leveling and in endgame, which is the source of the short term goodness of MMOs. So for the majority of players, Guild Wars 2 is likely one of the worst MMOs. Furthermore, the story is one of the more generic of the MMO world. WoW, Final Fantasy, TERA, and others have much more imaginative stories.

Now I don't consider these "majority of players" to be real MMO players (If you're a player who subsists upon finite content, which is the nature of progression based content, then you shouldn't be considered in the creation of an MMO or the rating of it thereafter, as an MMO should be infinite in its playable scope, and focus in totality upon replayability), but if you're going to use them in an argument, then you should know that even in considering them, Guild Wars 2 fails the mark.

Originally posted by Jean-Luc_Picard

I'm curious about who you'd consider "real MMO players", since when the first successful commercial MMOs were released, you were like 6 to 8 years old (if the age in your profile is correct). When WoW was released, you were 12.

So what do you base that classification of yours on? Just so we can know where you are coming from... because I have a hard time taking that "you're a real MMO player, and you are not" judgement seriously right now.

Real MMO players are ones who only care about replayable content. This classification is based upon the persistent nature of MMO worlds. If one cares about finite content, then the world for such a person is not persistent, but rather ultimately stagnant, as they may run out of content. These people are not playing MMOs for persistency, but rather stagnancy, and are thus not MMO players. Rather, they are different players who are guesting within an MMO, in the same fashion that not everyone who is within a country is a citizen of it.

Originally posted by Wootloops

Guild Wars 2 is actually the least good in the short term, as it has the weakest sense of progression during leveling and in endgame, which is the source of the short term goodness of MMOs. So for the majority of players, Guild Wars 2 is likely one of the worst MMOs. Furthermore, the story is one of the more generic of the MMO world. WoW, Final Fantasy, TERA, and others have much more imaginative stories.

Now I don't consider these "majority of players" to be real MMO players (If you're a player who subsists upon finite content, which is the nature of progression based content, then you shouldn't be considered in the creation of an MMO or the rating of it thereafter, as an MMO should be infinite in its playable scope, and focus in totality upon replayability), but if you're going to use them in an argument, then you should know that even in considering them, Guild Wars 2 fails the mark.

I disagree.

I've posted before that the difference between a level 1 character with starting equipment and a level 1 character with tweaked equipment is 400%+ just by acquiring the best white level 0 gear vs the starting level 0 gear and adding minor runes.

You can play with very powerful food buffs from level 1, that can add stuff like +20 vitality (that is +200 hit points over starting health pools of 300=400 hitpoints) or 20 power.

Not only that you will acquire your 3 starting weapon skills by the end of the tutorial and will immediately gain a off hand after finishing the tutorial that will grant you 2 more skills.

Nothing prevents you from then acquiring more weapons to unlock more skills.

You also start with the dodge skill (which many traits and some foods add effects to), healing skill and profession skills (that range from 1 single skill like the thief or warrior and can be 4 skills like the engineer or elementalist).

Generally characters with 3 or 4 profession skills only start with 2 and gain the others as progress - for example elementalist starts with fire and water and gain air at level 3 and earth at level 6. Also rangers can get their second pet straight after tutorial and gain pet swap, which is a big difference.

Characters gain their first utility slot skill and skill point at level 5, allowing them to start customizing their builds, While some classes don't change much, there is a big difference if you acquire stuff like grenade kit or a second minion.

At level 7 characters (with the exception of elementalist and engineer) gain swap weapon. Being able to change between ranged or melee, a controlling weapon or a defensive weapon or an AoE weapon on the fly is an incredible progression.

Not only that, sigils, runes and traits add on swap effects and stuff like sigil of battle is the foundation for some builds.

At level 10 you gain your second utility skill.

At level 11 you gain trait points (that give bonus stats, including class specific bonus) and at level 15 you can get your first minor trait with your first major trait at level 20.

And if you think that minor traits like Sharpshooter or Soothing mists or major traits like Focused Rituals or Speedy Kits, don't feel like progression, you are sadly mistaken.

At level 20 you also get your last utility skill, at level 30 you get the elite skills slot, at level 40 you get major and minor master traits and at level 60 grandmaster minor and major traits.

There is a ton of progression, although it isn't in your face ("press here and get tanking skills and by the way the tanking skills use shields").

That is not even counting your personal skill progression, by learning the tells and timing the dodges of the mobs.

And that is why some players can solo champion bosses that are listed as group events and others can't

About the story.

First, early on all the dragon story, which isn't that original, is quite far away.

What you dealing early game is political plots to overthrow the queen while you are trying to find your sister that was lost during one of the multiple clashes with the centaurs.

Or maybe you are trying to become a famous inventor while preventing sabotage and theft by rival inventor groups and then one of your earlier inventions just come back to haunt you.

Or you are investigating your dream about a white stag while fighting off a sect of your people that turned into nightmare and then you will start investigating what is happening in Orr and how it is affecting the world.

Etc.

Additionally the areas you visit will have stories somewhat related to your personal story plus some other are specific struggles.

And the main draw for the new player is that the story isn't a block of text talking about something that is happening but that in fact isn't happening.

No, in GW2, you have to go kill the bandits that are raiding the farm because you can see the bandits actually raiding the farm and setting fire in the farm,

And that guy over there asking for help because the skritts are stealing tools? Yep, further down the road the skritts are running, picking up the tools and taking them back to their burrow.

And now it is the casuals that want infinite progression?

No, the casuals favorite part is the leveling and the exploration.

GW2 leveling and exploration, with its Dynamic Event system and all the NPCs running around doing their own stuff, all the vistas and hidden jumping puzzles and mini dungeons, caves and treasure chests, is one of the best in the market.

Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629

I've been having more free time than usual recently; would it be worth it to just play this game for a month or two? I'm just wondering if there are plenty of active players... 

Any other game suggestions would be much appreciated as well; I'm very open minded. Thanks!

Not worth it at all. Worst MMO I played, this is not a troll or joke post. You'd be better off playing GW1 if your going to pay for a game. 

If you only have a few months play something free, Marvel Heroes (MMO) , League of Legends (MOBA), or Rift (MMO), all much better.

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• VolenibbletsVolenibblets Member UncommonPosts: 246

It confuses me greatly how they appeared to do such a near miraculous job on the engine...it is utterly beautiful and runs so smoothly I could kiss the screen - but at the bottom of it, I'm sorry to say but it's a vapid piece of rubbish imo and that only becomes apparent after the beguiling beauty of it wears off. It's a case in point of 2 things:

1) Cosmetic beauty can never substitute for substance or longevity 

2) Anyone who sees sexy pre-release promo videos and listens to well-paid devs-schilling promises or hype and thinks that the final product will live up to any of that needs their heads examined after SOOO many bloody god-awful hype disappointments in the last 5-10 years. And yet have a read of any of the posts about the upcoming releases that appear to think history suddenly isn't going to repeat itself. 

Originally posted by Volenibblets

It confuses me greatly how they appeared to do such a near miraculous job on the engine...it is utterly beautiful and runs so smoothly I could kiss the screen - but at the bottom of it, I'm sorry to say but it's a vapid piece of rubbish imo and that only becomes apparent after the beguiling beauty of it wears off. It's is a case in point of 2 things:

1) Cosmetic beauty can never substitute for substance or longevity 

2) Anyone who sees sexy pre-release promo videos and listens to well-paid devs-schilling promises or hype and thinks that the final product will live up to any of that needs their heads examined after SOOO many bloody god-awful hype disappointments in the last 5-10 years. And yet have a read of any of the posts about the upcoming releases that appear to think history suddenly isn't going to repeat itself. 

Read:

1) +stats and gear tiers.

2) Gameplay is identical. Dynamic Events work like shown.

The game doesn't particularly run smooth due to the physic engine being quite robust and all the AI and scripts and performance can be quite erratic even in state of the art hardware.

Gotta love people calling GW2 the worst MMORPG ever.

It might not be your cup of tea or might not make you play every day, 8 hours a day for 10 years, but worst ever?

Please.

That kind of post (not only about GW2 but about games like WoW, SWTOR, FF14, TSW, Rift, LORTO) should be an automatic vacation from the forums for being troll and flamebait.

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748
    Originally posted by Bloodaxes

Sometimes I get the urge of trying it out again but don't really know... In my opinion fractals was a pretty fucking bad idea.

Are normal dungeons still done? Last I played when I relogged with my elementalist I couldn't find a single person asking for some dungeon only spams of fractals only level x!! 

That's because instead of spamming for dungeons etc. people are using the LFG tool in game.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• laokokolaokoko Member UncommonPosts: 2,004
    Originally posted by Gaia_Hunter

Gotta love people calling GW2 the worst MMORPG ever.

It might not be your cup of tea or might not make you play every day, 8 hours a day for 10 years, but worst ever?

Please.

That kind of post (not only about GW2 but about games like WoW, SWTOR, FF14, TSW, Rift, LORTO) should be an automatic vacation from the forums for being troll and flamebait.

Well, I like to call AoC the worse mmorpg I ever played but at least I give that game a good 100+ hours of playtime.

Compare that to the other 50 mmorpg I installed and give it less than 1 hour attention spam...

I think those guys just mean of the mmorpg they played that's the worse they played.

To me guild wars 2 is a really good game to play on and off.  Since the grind is minimum and more gear to casual players.  I just started playing GW2 after a few month off.  But I can still just logon and play without grinding the next set of gear tier.

• simpliussimplius Member UncommonPosts: 1,134
    Originally posted by Betaguy

Not worth it at all. Worst MMO I played, this is not a troll or joke post. You'd be better off playing GW1 if your going to pay for a game. 

If you only have a few months play something free, Marvel Heroes (MMO) , League of Legends (MOBA), or Rift (MMO), all much better.

Falling Down all those stairs have obviously clouded your judgement

i suggest a doctor, if anybody will let you in

i wouldnt

• SemielSemiel Member UncommonPosts: 94

I do not even see the point in playing a MMO for only a short time.
    You would be much better off playing singleplayer games with better story and gameplay.

• saurus123saurus123 Member UncommonPosts: 678
    Originally posted by evilastro
    Its not a bad game to play for a few months. Some people stay longer, personally the content updates weren't enough to keep me, but the base game is fun for a while.

content update every 2 weeks so your point is not valid

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100

The game is fun but stay in Queensdale and Kessex Hills if you want to play with people. Most other zones I went to like Gendarran Fields ,Harathi Hinterlands,Bloodtide Coast all were empty. People do the champ train in Queensdale and level up fine. I was quite sad to be honest that the other zones were devoid of people.

You can solo some events in other zones but without others to help and frankly the game is more fun with people because of combos and all that it gets very boring. I got bored but it is a very good game.

Chamber of Chains
    Originally posted by cheyane

The game is fun but stay in Queensdale and Kessex Hills if you want to play with people. Most other zones I went to like Gendarran Fields ,Harathi Hinterlands,Bloodtide Coast all were empty. People do the champ train in Queensdale and level up fine. I was quite sad to be honest that the other zones were devoid of people.

You can solo some events in other zones but without others to help and frankly the game is more fun with people because of combos and all that it gets very boring. I got bored but it is a very good game.

Maybe it is just my server or the time I play at, but I always find at least some people and sometimes I wonder how the heck there is people in that specific spot.

Still I recommend people to play with friends/guildies.

5 people (including me) killing giant wasps in Fields of Ruin.

Bunch of people doing the Meta Chain Ogre Wars in fields of ruin.

5 people (myself included) doing some random even in Diessa Plateau.

4 people (including me) downing the giant in Diessa Plateau.

Downing Lyssa priestess in Malchor's Leap.

Downing the Jungle Wurm in Caledon Forest.

In my server at least, if I want to play with people I know where to find them.

If someone shouts about a champion there is always a couple of people showing up (and really decent players can solo most of them).

World bosses are regularly downed and even the harder to down ones like Tequatl or the TriWurm are attempted.

At worst I don't see any difference to games like WoW or Rift where if you are leveling in the open world, you are doing so alone and at best a reasonable portion of your leveling experience will be filled with examples of you being saved or saving someone butt or just finding a couple people and take on some champion/meta event chain with the occasionally big zerg downing a open world Boss.

• Eighteen16Eighteen16 Member UncommonPosts: 146
    GW2 like many of recent MMOs is better played as a COOP game. If you have a friend or two who will play with you most of the time, it can be fun and entertaining for a few months. Playing it solo is dreadfully boring, community is mostly just an endless zerg, both in PVP and PVE. The combat system will make you feel like a bot most of the time.
  • zastenzasten Member Posts: 283
    Originally posted by cheyane

Use the right class and you can do 95% of pve solo!

I did 100% world completion with a ranger!

There are only a few areas like vistas that have tough bosses too close to solo. Usually you can get help with these as other players will also be looking for help to do them or if your in a guild ask for help there.  If you do have trouble finding help try a different time of day to ask for it!