Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Worst MMO you ever played?

Comments

• donoakdonoak Member UncommonPosts: 37
    For me, it was hands down, light and dark
  • TribeofOneTribeofOne Member UncommonPosts: 1,006
    Auto Assault
  • BMBenderBMBender Member UncommonPosts: 827
    Originally posted by almerel

There was a point in my life when I would go down the game list here and install any game that seemed interesting to me (and some not so interesting). I can not even begin to count the amount of games I've played for a minute and deleted. Heck some didn't even get played. 

Those of you that are bashing any AAA game as the worst have not done mmo roulette lol

Well tbh this site perhaps isn't the best basis for starting a random roulette wheel sample platter.  Even if the reviewer completely rapes a game it  will still get a Timmy award of +5 just for playing.  Probably better to goto one of the sub genre specific sites for non AAA titles and indies if you want to run a roulette with some hope of repeated gold..

• KaosProphetKaosProphet Member Posts: 379
    Originally posted by Tibernicuspa

For my case, a bad MMO is one that I don't want to play. Poorly coded games with interesting ideas can keep me hooked longer than a boring game. WoW is a boring game. I left almost right away. Wizardry, a "bad game", was far FAR more interesting.

This.  A (subjectively) good concept can easily overcome a good deal of technical problems for me, but no amount of polish will save a game who's conventions are entirely unappealing to me. 

Also, I'd note that the OP asked about the worst game you ever *played,* not the worst game ever made.  There are dozens of games I didn't even consider playing, because the information available indicated to me that I wasn't going to like them.  Many of them were likely worse than WoW, but they were so obviously bad from the start that I struggle to understand why *anyone* played them;  but as I had the wisdom not to, I can't use them as an answer to the OPs question.

• TorgrimTorgrim Member CommonPosts: 2,088
    Originally posted by donoak
    For me, it was hands down, light and dark

Never heard about a game called light and dark but i have played Dark & Light.

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.

• Mors.MagneMors.Magne Member UncommonPosts: 1,549

GW2 when I tried it for free.

I uninstalled it within 10 minutes of gameplay. I felt I wasn't really controlling my character - the game was letting me win - no matter how rubbish my button-mashing was.

I was disoriented - I honestly did not know what on earth I was doing, yet my character was making all sorts of amazing moves and thrashing the enemy NPCs. It was totally wrong.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

There have been many.. especially last yaer but one that stands out was Champions of Regnum that was pure bad..

Big names form last year i guess where GW2 and Neverwinter..

Originally posted by AreWeLive

1. vanguard - was so buggy when it came out, lots of things would not load, could not move more then 5 steps without a freeze, was the worst when it was released. Took them years to correct bugs to make it playable(smooth playing).

2. Warhammer Online- buggy, insane time finishing any quest line in that game. both PvE and PvP were so unbalanced with one class ruling.

3. Eve-online, Beta tested it and it was buggy buggy buggy, I voted not to release because of this but they released. (my vote carries no weight lol) Was invited back a year after release and saw how far they came, it is the only game i played that actually fixed bugs and got me to play it again. Been playing it off and on since.

I think Eve Online is a very special case because the game is all about other players rather than being a theme park.

If you can afford to spend many hours a day playing Eve Online (getting to know lots of people in your alliance) I reckon it's a very good game. If you want to play it casually, forget it - ultimately, you're going to get thrashed and you won't feel any sense of progression or achievement.

• KirrikKirrik Member UncommonPosts: 70
    Originally posted by Mors.Magne

GW2 when I tried it for free.

I uninstalled it within 10 minutes of gameplay. I felt I wasn't really controlling my character - the game was letting me win - no matter how rubbish my button-mashing was.

I was disoriented - I honestly did not know what on earth I was doing, yet my character was making all sorts of amazing moves and thrashing the enemy NPCs. It was totally wrong.

^This completely. What a let down GW2 was.

• SiugSiug Member UncommonPosts: 1,257
    GW2 and Neverwinter. 
  • LoverNoFighterLoverNoFighter Member Posts: 294

World of Warcraft.

So boring. So cartoonish. So unentertaining.

• darkedone02darkedone02 Member UncommonPosts: 581
    In my honest opinion, any game that promotes full pvp looting and moba's are consider the worst of the worst. As these games litterly promotes trolls, assholes, and the worst scum in the planet. Defiance was not a great FPS open world game, as the TRIES to be like borderlands, but sadly imo, it failed misurably, and the games get harder as you progressed and after halfway of the dark matter people, i've stopped playing. Vanguard: Saga of Heroes during the beta was horrible, the worst betas experiance in my life, hardly anything loads properly and i've immediatly uninstalled the game on day 1 and refuse to give it a second chance until one day it went F2P.

• spookydomspookydom Member UncommonPosts: 1,782

I am going to give my answer in the medium of song.

/clears throat

/RAPPPPEEEELLLLLLLZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!!!!!!!!!   

Seriously, what a p.o.s with no redeeming features. Can't believe it's still going and we loose games like C.O.H and SWG. And this lump of festering crap chugs on year after year. It baffles me people!.....I'm baffled here!

• FangrimFangrim Member UncommonPosts: 616

WoW,

after 7 years of EQ2  I decided to finally try the trial of the most popular MMO. After the totally laughable character customization I barely had the desire to log in but alas I did and at level 5 (after 5 minutes game play) I was followed around for a few minutes by a level 50ish player who constantly tried to duel me.I logged and uninstalled never ever to return.

It is proof of the power of advertising when a game inferior in every possible way to EQ2 has such a high amount of players

• SirPKsAlotSirPKsAlot Member Posts: 224
    Originally posted by spookydom

we loose games like C.O.H

uggghhh RIP CoH

Currently playing: Eldevin Online as a Deadly Assassin

• BoudewijnsBoudewijns Member UncommonPosts: 162
    Originally posted by SirPKsAlot

What was the most shamelessly bug filled or just incredibly boring MMO you ever played? Something you uninstalled in less than 2 hours?

For me it was MapleStory. I made a char, walked left, walked right, killed some green blob thing and said to myself "So this is what Super Nintendo MMO would've felt like"

for me scarlet blade

the graphics where soso but the entire game was mend for hikikimori virgins made by the same group  imo

• flclimaxflclimax Member UncommonPosts: 92
    Dark & Light. All 3 funcom MMO's.
  • ChromeBallzChromeBallz Member UncommonPosts: 342

How did no one mention Mourning yet?

Playing: WF
    Played: WoW, GW2, L2, WAR, AoC, DnL (2005), GW, LotRO, EQ2, TOR, CoH (RIP), STO, TSW, TERA, EVE, ESO, BDO
    Tried: EQ, UO, AO, EnB, TCoS, Fury, Ryzom, EU, DDO, TR, RF, CO, Aion, VG, DN, Vindictus, AA

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    Originally posted by iridescence

Neverwinter and WoW.

{Has to trick you into thinking it's a decent game for a while until you finally realize it actually isn't very good and you wasted a bunch of time. Both those games did that to me. Far worse than a crap game I immediately know is crap and uninstall after 10 minutes.}

There have been countless MMO's that I found boring and uninstalled right away, yeah.

But I'll give the "honor" of worst to Neverwinter as well, since it also wasted a lot of my time.

Some of the reasons why it deserves the honor so much:

- Devs that literally have no idea how their game mechanics work, or when they are broken (anyone who had the misfortune of being around when they broke the Guardian's block ability will know what I'm talking about).

- An absolutely terrible groupfinder, that not only puts you in teams that have no hope of ever finishing a dungeon (all DPS with not a single healer for example), but also consistently places you in dungeons above your level - and to add insult to injury; it had no option to recruit a replacement if anyone disconnected or left (not even by directly inviting someone as that required the entire group to leave the dungeon, at which point it immediately reset - and upon reentering you would no longer qualify for the groupfinder reward)

- Balance was an absolute joke throughout the entire game; ranging from groups that were more efficient by shunning the tanking classes for end game content, to two classes completely dominating everything (control wizards and trickster rogues) in PvP and PvE both.

- Bonus points for having the rudest forum moderators I've ever seen on an MMO, who repeatedly insulted their players (but hey, at least they didn't pay for them since they were all volunteers).

- Giving absolute power to one random player (the one who happened to get the groupleader tag randomly assigned to him when the group forms) - who had the ability the kick with impunity, no voting whatsoever necessary.

Oh, and that worked in both PvP and PvE.

- Every PvP match was plagued with at least a couple of bots or plain AFKers.

And that's only the tip of the iceberg.

I don't know what their current state is now, but it's the one game I will warn people away from if they ever ask my opinion, and where I'm convinced the dev team doesn't have a clue what they're doing.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• stragen001stragen001 Member UncommonPosts: 1,720

All these people saying WoW or LoTRO or some other AAA MMO is the worst MMO they have ever played....... whats up with that. Many people dont like specific games, but there is no way you can claim WoW is the worst MMO ever. Just take a look at all the F2P crap out there. Games like City of Steam, or Scarlet Blade......

Speaking of which. My worst MMOs:

Earthrise - brilliant idea, VERY BADLY executed. Was a buggy, unfinished piece of crap when they released it.

City of Steam - wanted an steampunk MMO so bad, but this is not an mmo. Its graphics look like those isometric "3d" games from the early 2000's, its just a load of instances strung together, character development is a joke. such a disappointment.

Cluck Cluck, Gibber Gibber, My Old Mans A Mushroom

• eHugeHug Member UncommonPosts: 265

Can't decide in between WoW or SWTOR. Most likely SWTOR, since it was the most lonely mmorpg experience in my life and the world felt more dead/static then any other title that I know of. WoW was extremely boring too, but it at least had some people running around. If they weren't hiding in instances.

SWTOR was plain bad imho. WoW was mostly bad and destroyed the MMORPG genre by transforming it into single player/small groups instance grinders. So it's a hard decision. But those 2 titles by far. Nothing else that I played was as bad, not even Horizons which was ugly and buggy but at least felt like a MMO.

LFG!
    Originally posted by Jean-Luc_Picard

Well, if anything, this thread was still useful...

It has shown me that many supposed "MMO experts" who post here have actually way to little knowledge of the genre to be able to make the difference between a really bad game (bad design, bug ridden code, bad graphics, bad animations, barely playable if at all, nothing to like) with an AAA quality game that they happen to dislike but which is still of high production quality, polished and well done.

Well, actually, it has only confirmed what I already knew... only a very few people here are worth reading because they have a balanced and rather unbiased opinion and are able to give positive points even to a game they do not like because it's well made. Those people are also visible in this thread, makes it easy to enhance your forum friend list.

Have a nice day.

I can understand why somebody who has played WoW for a very long time might now hate it. For example, I really enjoyed the pet battles. However, Blizzard introduced an 'I win button' in the form of a pet called Murcalot. You can only get this pet by attending Blizzcon.

In other words, Blizzard have introduced 'pay to win', and it's an awful lot of money to pay to win.

In addition, I think Blizzard's customer service is 2/5 when it should be 5/5 considering the cost of the game.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer
    Originally posted by nariusseldon
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer
    Originally posted by nariusseldon
    Originally posted by ktanner3
    That was my thought as well. If people were calling WOW a failure then you could say they were wrong since that is a statement that can be proven wrong with facts. But someone saying that it's the worse MMO they ever played? How can anyone say that a person is wrong with their likes and dislikes?

Exactly right.

In fact, let me restate MY likes and dislikes, that I have played

Worst MMO ever - UO

second worst MMO - EQ

best MMO - Diablo 3 .. not a true mmo, but close enough

second best - WoW

I would love to see if someone will try to tell how my PERSONAL preferences are wrong.

My opinion is that your personal preference is wrong!

(Well, you asked to see it)

hehehe . i bet you think i am wrong .. and cannot fathom how one would hate UO .. but i do.

That is the beauty of personal opinions. What you think is irrelevant.

Nahh, I don't disagree with you for that. I just don't agree with your F2P philosophies.

Sure you can disagree. But your opinion is irrelevant to mine. It is not like I will change my mind just because some random dude on the internet says so.

• ChromeBallzChromeBallz Member UncommonPosts: 342

Originally posted by Jean-Luc_Picard
    Originally posted by ChromeBallz How did no one mention Mourning yet?
    Oh yes hehe, nice scam attempt too for that one. Just like Dark and Light.

Hmm, i wouldn't call D&L a scam in that way. The developers did have the right intentions, but they were kinda naive in their belief they could pull it off with just 15 people and left the financial going-ons to the actual scammer... D&L had actual promise.

Mourning however was a full on scam from the top.

Playing: WF
    Played: WoW, GW2, L2, WAR, AoC, DnL (2005), GW, LotRO, EQ2, TOR, CoH (RIP), STO, TSW, TERA, EVE, ESO, BDO
    Tried: EQ, UO, AO, EnB, TCoS, Fury, Ryzom, EU, DDO, TR, RF, CO, Aion, VG, DN, Vindictus, AA

• ConscriptxConscriptx Member Posts: 1

Created an account just to respond to this thread.

Worst MMO I have ever played?

Every MMO after EverQuest.