Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Worst MMO you ever played?

Comments

• BeelzebobbieBeelzebobbie MalmöPosts: 429Member

Hard question there have been so many great failures through the years.

here is a list of things that ruin great games or are just games that suck.

1# WOW = the game I like and I liked it alot but the players are acting like there all between 8-12, noob here, noob there, why aren't you useing this?, votekick from groups because you don't know a boss and so on, it was like starting playing counter strike all over again.

2# Warhammer online = This game I loved, really really loved the pvp was awesome, but the release of this game at the state it was sucked so hard. To release a half done product sucks so hard.

3# Final fantasy 14 or whatever number it has, = Its like wow, little things that are diffrent but there is nothing new about this game, nothing at all.

4# Champions of regnum = Just an awful game, everything about it sucked.

5# Mortal online = I really, really hate the graphics I know that shouldn't be an issue but I hate bad graphics.

6# Scarlet blade = good marketing for a 13 years old kid and enough said. 

7# Every game that starts with the title "Dragon", all wow clones (Rift, SWOTR and the list goes on with a 1000 titles more.

• AreWeLiveAreWeLive Brockville, ONPosts: 115Member Uncommon

1. vanguard - was so buggy when it came out, lots of things would not load, could not move more then 5 steps without a freeze, was the worst when it was released. Took them years to correct bugs to make it playable(smooth playing).

2. Warhammer Online- buggy, insane time finishing any quest line in that game. both PvE and PvP were so unbalanced with one class ruling.

3. Eve-online, Beta tested it and it was buggy buggy buggy, I voted not to release because of this but they released. (my vote carries no weight lol) Was invited back a year after release and saw how far they came, it is the only game i played that actually fixed bugs and got me to play it again. Been playing it off and on since.

• LerxstLerxst Phx, AZPosts: 550Member

Mortal Online.  It was a cross between that or Xsyon, but Xsyon at least had decent customer service; when it became obvious they would fail to deliver their promise, they refunded your account if you were unhappy.  MO just took your money and ran.

A dishonorable mention goes to WWII Online back in... I think it was 2000?  Nothing they promised came to light and the game was so far off the mark, it was insulting.

• WizardryWizardry Ontario, CanadaPosts: 8,451Member Uncommon

I deleted  big name titles in less than a couple hours GW2 and STO and Age of Wushu.Other games i deleted within the first day...Defiance,Planetside2,Pirate 101,DAOC,Warhammer.I am sure there are a few others,i just can't think of the titles rigfht now.

Needless to say that is a lot of hyped up big name titles that couldn't keep my attention for more than one day.

I could count on two hands the games that actually enticed me to play for long periods and that includes some f2p long before f2p was actually a popular gimmick.

I look for a game that has a purpose and gives me a desire to login time after time.I don't like games that simply copy cat the worst ideas from other games,example anything hand holding turns me off.Any kind of paint by numbers or following yellow markers around turns me off.

Samoan Diamond

• luclinraiderluclinraider Oakdale, CAPosts: 42Member
    Originally posted by Hokie

Horizons: Empire of Istaria - It was just awful bad at release. Then I actually went and bought a sub about five or six months later because, hey everything deserves a second chance. It was still fucking awful.

Dang! Really?

I'm not hating on your opinion or anything cus everyone has them, but just wondering what you hated about Horizons?

When it first came out I thought it was pretty well done, it had decent graphics (For the time).   Had a back story about rallying everyone together to fight the undead hordes (Before it was overdone).  You could play as a dragon (.....its a dragon...).   And there was a unique leveling/ progression system for dragons as opposed to being a usual race.  It also had some decent animations for the time, (I just remember when my dragon stood up on its hind legs and blew fire back and forth I was like "Dang...that looks pretty sick).

I never came back to it once I quit, I heard they ended up with like...humanoid dragons or something...not to sure...kinda weird...but ya :p, just looking to see what you thought was so bad about it.

• luclinraiderluclinraider Oakdale, CAPosts: 42Member

Sorry, I ended up posting a question to another poster without answering the OP :P

I would have to say Mortal Online IMO.  I was hyped as hell for that game, was in a guild WAY before launch just to play it.  We all played for like...a day, maybe 2, then we all pretty much quit out of boredom except about 3 people in the guild lol :P

• bobfishbobfish SouthamptonPosts: 1,688Member

Anarchy Online at launch... most broken MMO I've ever had the misfortune of playing.

Guild Wars 2... I wouldn't say it was boring really, but it was uninspiring, mindless and a complete disappointment compared to the original.

There have been a lot of MMOs over the years that have been broken or failed to live up to expectation, but those two are by far the biggest culprits IMO.

• mmoguy43mmoguy43 , CAPosts: 2,442Member Uncommon

This thread... deja vu

Mortal Online

• BMBenderBMBender Nowhere, NCPosts: 568Member Uncommon

This is actually hard for me it's a toss up between many of the crap titles I've been swindled on.

Matrix online, Tabula Rusa, AC2(pay for this x-pac, we're shutting down next week.  GDIAF) or SWTOR.  I've played a lot of bad mmo's but those are the ones that I actually considered Molotov cocktails as a consumer response for more than  a second or two:D

I guess if I HAD to limit it to two: Matrix and SWTOR As these are the only two times I've actually felt soiled merely beta testing.  Most other games I 've disliked over the years have, at least managed to have been good enough in one aspect or another to justify me dropping $ on.  Even if it was just out of sympathy or charity.

• MMOman101MMOman101 Posts: 1,274Member Uncommon

I try not to play games I suspect to be horrible.  I think some people just install a game to uninstall it 5 minutes later and then piss and moan on the forums.

The worst I have ever played is Allods. 

I should have known better than to play that game.

• Lord_TuvitorLord_Tuvitor Yreka, CAPosts: 1Member

Scarlet Blade was easily the worst game I ever played.  It's the only MMO that's ever made me feel ICKY playing it.  Quickest uninstall ever.

• fivorothfivoroth LondonPosts: 3,665Member Uncommon

Let's see:

1. Vanguard - worst crap ever.

2. EQ 1 - second worst crap ever.

3. Lineage - damn, don't get me started on this one. It's a horrible horrible game.

4. D & D online. 

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• almerelalmerel Sterling Heights, MIPosts: 683Member

There was a point in my life when I would go down the game list here and install any game that seemed interesting to me (and some not so interesting). I can not even begin to count the amount of games I've played for a minute and deleted. Heck some didn't even get played. 

Those of you that are bashing any AAA game as the worst have not done mmo roulette lol

-Almerel

• donoakdonoak Zebulon, NCPosts: 37Member Uncommon
    For me, it was hands down, light and dark
  • TribeofOneTribeofOne Wellford, SCPosts: 1,006Member Uncommon
    Auto Assault
  • curacura WarsawPosts: 950Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Comaf
    Originally posted by SirPKsAlot

What was the most shamelessly bug filled or just incredibly boring MMO you ever played? Something you uninstalled in less than 2 hours?

For me it was MapleStory. I made a char, walked left, walked right, killed some green blob thing and said to myself "So this is what Super Nintendo MMO would've felt like"

So many folks here are from the post WoW era, but I'll pipe in with an mmorpg no one has heard of:  Alganon.  I liked the man who tried to save it, Derek Smart (actually a very down to earth developer)...but the game he was given to save was just poorly thought out.  2009 release, by the way.

Warhammer for second place.  As a Dark Age of Camelot fan boy, let me reinforce the failure of this "game." 

Derek Smart is one of the bigest clowns in this business hehe. After his Battlecruiser series i wouldnt touch anything he created. Megalomaniac who promised miracles but couldnt properly code a shit lol. 

• BMBenderBMBender Nowhere, NCPosts: 568Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by almerel

There was a point in my life when I would go down the game list here and install any game that seemed interesting to me (and some not so interesting). I can not even begin to count the amount of games I've played for a minute and deleted. Heck some didn't even get played. 

Those of you that are bashing any AAA game as the worst have not done mmo roulette lol

Well tbh this site perhaps isn't the best basis for starting a random roulette wheel sample platter.  Even if the reviewer completely rapes a game it  will still get a Timmy award of +5 just for playing.  Probably better to goto one of the sub genre specific sites for non AAA titles and indies if you want to run a roulette with some hope of repeated gold..

• KaosProphetKaosProphet Edmonton, ABPosts: 379Member
    Originally posted by Tibernicuspa

For my case, a bad MMO is one that I don't want to play. Poorly coded games with interesting ideas can keep me hooked longer than a boring game. WoW is a boring game. I left almost right away. Wizardry, a "bad game", was far FAR more interesting.

This.  A (subjectively) good concept can easily overcome a good deal of technical problems for me, but no amount of polish will save a game who's conventions are entirely unappealing to me. 

Also, I'd note that the OP asked about the worst game you ever *played,* not the worst game ever made.  There are dozens of games I didn't even consider playing, because the information available indicated to me that I wasn't going to like them.  Many of them were likely worse than WoW, but they were so obviously bad from the start that I struggle to understand why *anyone* played them;  but as I had the wisdom not to, I can't use them as an answer to the OPs question.

• TorgrimTorgrim GothenburgPosts: 2,088Member
    Originally posted by donoak
    For me, it was hands down, light and dark

Never heard about a game called light and dark but i have played Dark & Light.

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.

• Mors.MagneMors.Magne LondonPosts: 1,420Member

GW2 when I tried it for free.

I uninstalled it within 10 minutes of gameplay. I felt I wasn't really controlling my character - the game was letting me win - no matter how rubbish my button-mashing was.

I was disoriented - I honestly did not know what on earth I was doing, yet my character was making all sorts of amazing moves and thrashing the enemy NPCs. It was totally wrong.

• CaldrinCaldrin CwmbranPosts: 4,533Member Uncommon

There have been many.. especially last yaer but one that stands out was Champions of Regnum that was pure bad..

Big names form last year i guess where GW2 and Neverwinter..

• Mors.MagneMors.Magne LondonPosts: 1,420Member
    Originally posted by AreWeLive

1. vanguard - was so buggy when it came out, lots of things would not load, could not move more then 5 steps without a freeze, was the worst when it was released. Took them years to correct bugs to make it playable(smooth playing).

2. Warhammer Online- buggy, insane time finishing any quest line in that game. both PvE and PvP were so unbalanced with one class ruling.

3. Eve-online, Beta tested it and it was buggy buggy buggy, I voted not to release because of this but they released. (my vote carries no weight lol) Was invited back a year after release and saw how far they came, it is the only game i played that actually fixed bugs and got me to play it again. Been playing it off and on since.

I think Eve Online is a very special case because the game is all about other players rather than being a theme park.

If you can afford to spend many hours a day playing Eve Online (getting to know lots of people in your alliance) I reckon it's a very good game. If you want to play it casually, forget it - ultimately, you're going to get thrashed and you won't feel any sense of progression or achievement.

• KirrikKirrik Posts: 52Member Common
    Originally posted by Mors.Magne

GW2 when I tried it for free.

I uninstalled it within 10 minutes of gameplay. I felt I wasn't really controlling my character - the game was letting me win - no matter how rubbish my button-mashing was.

I was disoriented - I honestly did not know what on earth I was doing, yet my character was making all sorts of amazing moves and thrashing the enemy NPCs. It was totally wrong.

^This completely. What a let down GW2 was.

• SiugSiug TallinnPosts: 1,236Member Uncommon
    GW2 and Neverwinter. 
  • LoverNoFighterLoverNoFighter Star CItyPosts: 294Member

World of Warcraft.

So boring. So cartoonish. So unentertaining.