Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars Galaxies: Our Next Game is Dedicated to You

Comments

• CalvenCalven Member Posts: 151
    Did EA not acquire the rights to all future Star Wars games? Sony can't make another Star Wars game then, can they? Unless they settled a deal before Disney bought the IP
  • DestaiDestai Member Posts: 574
    The company is shutting down seven games and they're already talking about the next slew of games. Maybe it's time to slow down on development and think really hard on why seven games failed.
  • DestaiDestai Member Posts: 574
    Four games, not sure why I said seven.
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Originally posted by bbbb42
    sony's making big moves, blizzard's making hearthstone

Yep, Blizzard has seemingly lost it's way.  They let all the dreamers go and now are run by the penny pinchers.

This is great news if it is true.

Originally posted by Calven
    Did EA not acquire the rights to all future Star Wars games? Sony can't make another Star Wars game then, can they? Unless they settled a deal before Disney bought the IP

Read much?  The quote by Smedley specifically says "a new IP".   That says it won't be Star Wars specific.

• achesomaachesoma Member RarePosts: 1,726

If people would bother to read the AMA, Smed specifically states it's a new IP.  So no SWG 2.  It's most likely a zombie mmo in the fashion of SWG.

http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/3274834/report-sony-developing-game-related-to-h1z1-hoax/

Preaching Pantheon to People at PAX  PAX East 2018 Day 4 - YouTube
  • FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

"John Smedley. Only you could be so bold."

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465
    Anyone who believes anything Smed says at this point, deserves what they get....
  • XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739

I don't know what it is, but an original IP is the best bet.  If SWG would have been an original IP, yeah it may have never been made to begin with, but you don't have to deal with the IP's owner having control over what you do, or jacking up your IP fees to where you have to close a game down.

I am not a huge fan of mmos that pay for a IP anymore, it just seems to be an added problem.  MMOs have a hard enough time being good imo, let alone interference from the owner of the IP.

I would not spend the amount of money these companies do on a mmo, just to have it's future in the hands of the IP's owner.  If you made a popular game, and the IP comes up for renewal, they will probably rape you on the rate hike, and likely damage the future outlook for development imo.

Yeah, it is cool to play something you are familiar with, but as a company, I wouldn't do it, unless you had some open ended deal, with a IP fee that cannot change much, and final say.

• MoiraeMoirae Member RarePosts: 3,318
    We will see. I no longer trust any of these developers. I've almost left behind the genre completely. I'm sick to death of the same game being developed with a few small gimmicks that the developers love to call "next gen" when they don't seem to know what next gen means and with different graphics. 

Originally posted by achesoma

If people would bother to read the AMA, Smed specifically states it's a new IP.  So no SWG 2.  It's most likely a zombie mmo in the fashion of SWG.

http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/3274834/report-sony-developing-game-related-to-h1z1-hoax/

Certainly hope not.  We DON'T need another zombie game ever!  A zombie game would never entice past SWG players, just completely NOT their thing.

• tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001

Smedley wouldn't be so stupid to go with another expensive-as-hell license. It's probably the reason they had to turn SWG more like WoW - to get enough money to pay for the fucking license.

EQ1 is probably making less money than SWG did before they dropped the NGE, but that game is still going strong. Wonder why?

• Originally posted by Burntvet
    Anyone who believes anything Smed says at this point, deserves what they get....

Amen.

He's a day late and a dollar short, I'll be in The Repopulation.

• DarthMaulUKDarthMaulUK Member Posts: 296

After digging around, I think SOE are looking at The Repopulation MMO. People have been saying its like SWG in many ways, they don't have a publisher yet and Smedley says that the information is already out there - which all makes sense.

So could SOE be about to publish The Repopulation? 

get your 7 day FREE sub to SWTOR
    http://www.swtor.com/r/7DDKjQ

• VincerKadenVincerKaden Member UncommonPosts: 457
    Originally posted by DarthMaulUK

After digging around, I think SOE are looking at The Repopulation MMO. People have been saying its like SWG in many ways, they don't have a publisher yet and Smedley says that the information is already out there - which all makes sense.

No. One of the Repopulation owners/developers has already said that's not the case. Check the official Repop forums where this was directly addressed.

• ZzuluZzulu Member Posts: 452
    Well the new Star Wars movies are going to come out in a few years so they're probably planning to launch a new star wars MMO paralell to that
  • wolfmannwolfmann Member Posts: 1,159

Right...

And what we'll come "home" to is a SWG NGE type of game..

You've been trolled by Smedley.

imageThe last of the Trackers

• JJ82JJ82 Member UncommonPosts: 1,258
    Originally posted by phennexion
    Lol, Smedley: "I fucked up and ruined a good game, alienated a whole playerbase and I was right the whole time", 9 years later.... "oh hey guys, looks like sandbox games were the future all along, you can come home now"

fuck this guy!!

So admitting you were wrong and changing is bad? Sure as hell beats developers that keep doing the same thing over and over again as if they are not capable of learning and acting as if their original design was perfect. I am looking at you Firor.

"People who tell you you’re awesome are useless. No, dangerous.

They are worse than useless because you want to believe them. They will defend you against critiques that are valid. They will seduce you into believing you are done learning, or into thinking that your work is better than it actually is." ~Raph Koster
    http://www.raphkoster.com/2013/10/14/on-getting-criticism/

• bakon2bakon2 Member UncommonPosts: 129
    Originally posted by ZoeMcCloskey
    Always hope until there is no more.

one never knows...Asheron's Call 2 is back in beta...never thought I would see that game again.

• firefly2003firefly2003 Member UncommonPosts: 2,527

Despite the many changes SWG it remains one of the most unique MMORPGs out there , that had many unique and tons of options and catered to more than just combat "kill,kill!" many of SWG's features remain unique to this day . People hated the NGE, everyone loved the Pre-Cu but Pre-Cu had virtually had next to no content, player driven content is fun but all the additions SWG had when it closed made it shine to it 90% potential if the Pre-CU profession skilltrees of old were combined with the end of SWG's lifespan full of content... there would have been happy players abound.

• achesomaachesoma Member RarePosts: 1,726
    Originally posted by Ozmodan
    Originally posted by achesoma

Certainly hope not.  We DON'T need another zombie game ever!  A zombie game would never entice past SWG players, just completely NOT their thing.

While I agree 100% it seems suspicious that SOE would trademark H1Z1 for online gaming/rpg platform then shortly after make this announcement.  Honestly,I am totally burnt out on the whole zombie fad. 

Preaching Pantheon to People at PAX  PAX East 2018 Day 4 - YouTube
    Originally posted by DarthMaulUK

The Repopulation was recently Greenlit on Steam they will be distributing the game

• Paradigm68Paradigm68 Member UncommonPosts: 890
    Sorry, don't trust you enough to invest my time in building something with you.
  • ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495

I only hope it will not be based on their latest EQL/N engine. I like the direction of EQL/N but I consider them into a new genre of VMOG (Voxel Multiplayer Online Games)

Unless it's a completely different IP.

Originally posted by Destai
    The company is shutting down seven games and they're already talking about the next slew of games. Maybe it's time to slow down on development and think really hard on why seven games failed.

Curious, what seven games are those ? Haven't heard any about SOE closing down any games recently or notices in my email box.