Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

From Smedley during interview today: "SWG PLAYERS - OUR NEXT GAME (not announced yet) IS DEDICATED T

Comments

• exile01exile01 Member RarePosts: 1,089

I dont know how you guys can be hyped about something that isnt even on the horizon.

Maybe its that Disney Land f2p star wars mmo they recently showed.

• GatlanGatlan Member UncommonPosts: 141
    Originally posted by Beatnik59
    Originally posted by Obraik
    Originally posted by Beatnik59

I find it very confusing why now--only now--Smed is so committed to the SWG crowd with this new found dedication to us.

Didn't he throw us under the bus eight years ago to chase the kiddies with his fast-action combat and "kill, treasure, repeat?"  And where are those kiddies now?  Thrown under the bus--just like we were--with the closure of the kid titles (Clone Wars Adventures, FreeRealms and Wizardry Online).

And the whole ironic thing about this is that WE TOLD HIM SO.  We told him that one in the hand is better than two in the bush.  We told him that he shouldn't mess with a good thing; that his model eight years ago worked and they needed to double down on it, not throw it under the bus.

See, WE KNEW.  We knew that what SOE and Smed were doing eight years ago wasn't going to last.  It was good to be proven right, but questions remain.  If Smed has this big bromance with the Pre-CU crowd, why haven't we seen him in the Veteran's Refuge?  Eight years I've been waiting for Smed to come to the Veteran's Refuge, and eight years Smed was nowhere to be found there.  If he was interested in us, he always knew where to find us and make his case.

I'll tell you what.  If Smed comes down to the Veterans Refuge, I'll know he's serious.  But I don't know if he has the guts to come down there and talk with the likes of Wildcat84, Jest0rRodo and Shayde.

Maybe that's an indication that it was LucasArts that caused the problems rather than SOE?  Maybe that's why SOE has now publicly in a number of instances announced that they won't be doing IP license work again?  One only needs to look at TOR to see a repeat of the mistakes made with SWG...and there's only one common denominator across both games ;)

Could be.  If so, he ought to come down to the Veterans Refuge to come talk to us someday.  I take the same attitude as Mace Windu: "If what you told me is true, you will have earned my trust."

Don't forget that even though he told Mace Windu the truth, he still chopped off Mace's hand and and let him be lightning'd out a window.

• wilqwilq Member UncommonPosts: 144
    Sorry Smed but i think Repopulation will give me more SWG feel than you can.
  • ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063
    Which version of SWG is he talking about? The original, the CU or the NGE?

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• Pratt2112Pratt2112 Member UncommonPosts: 1,636

Wow. Well that's something to chew on, now ain't it.

If that man is being insincere, and is just leading people on to drum up interest/hype, and then pulls one of his usual 180s and doesn't deliver (which he has a history of doing)... Well, he'd better have a bunker hidden away somewhere (not literally of course). That would be a serious dick move.

SWG players - particularly pre-NGE/CU - are perhaps the most passionate (and bitter - not that I blame them) I've seen in all my time gaming.

• ReaperJodaReaperJoda Member UncommonPosts: 76
    .....for one you all are even going to trust this guy's word??? After all the lies in the past and now the recent stuff with eqn. Second when will this even be released? 4-5 years in the future? Or on a council platform knowing sony.

Think a bit first my old swg friends.
  • alyndalealyndale Member UncommonPosts: 936

...with respect and honor to all you folks out there that were involved with this venerable old mmo, I salute you!

As of this writing there are at least 6 or 7 blog responses to the events that took place during the day on Friday, January 24th, 2014. Of course John Smedley is in the middle of all of this chatter. As some of you may know there is what Syp has defined on his blog, "Bio Break", a sort of "SoEpocolypse" going on at the campus in San Diego. What this means is not fully clear to us yet, but I fear may become more evident as 2014 moves forward.

Here's what I have gleaned thus from all this "stuff" being circulated by the SoE President Smed; 4 game are being canned, two in March and two in July; The new SoE pay plan goes into effect in April: pay $14.99 and play ALL current games for free; Brad McQuaid announced a few back that he is creating Pantheon; Smed announced that there will be new expansions for EQ and EQ 2 as well as some sort of new game releasing in 2014; Apparently Brad McQaid offered to buy back the source code for the dying Vanguard, but was turned down by Smed because it will NOT be made available; and finally Smed has announced that SoE is apparently spending money, time, and man-power on some mmo that will bring all of you former Star Wars Galaxies players back to SoE.

Before of all this media on Friday, I was trying my best to see Smedley as a sort of regular guy that often gets a bit over-excited about his company and chatters a bit "off script" on social media about what's going on "in house". Now, however, after adding these shenanigans with what I saw last August in his state of SoE address, I am beginning to feel Mr Smedley needs to move on or be replaced with a more professional leader at that campus. In truth, I am beginning to doubt whether any of the upcoming games this year next year or in the future are going to be anything they are being ballyhooed as.

We should keep watch as this year progresses. There is a heap-load of stress out on the Smed led campus in San Diego. The next SoE Live might be somewhat even MORE subdued that it was in 2013...

Watch this space...

Alyn

All I want is the truth
    Just gimme some truth
    John Lennon

• DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802

A new game is being hyped by tossing out a comparison to SWG.

This is the same as Mortal Online fans claiming "If you don't support our game then you hate the genre itself!"

I know you are desperate to get your beloved game back but...

Shame on you if you fall for this kind of baseless hype.

Harbinger of Fools
  • CthulhuPuffsCthulhuPuffs Member UncommonPosts: 368
    Originally posted by wilq

Agreed.

The Repopulation has everything SWG had, but without the Smed

Bringer of Eternal Darkness and Despair, but also a Nutritious way to start your Morning.

Games Played: Too Many

• SuperDonkSuperDonk Member UncommonPosts: 759

I want to be excited, I do. But I am not.

Maybe it is because I have become an even more bitter vet since 2005, experiencing the march of the WoW clones, shitty sandboxes, and whatever GW2 is.

I'm sick of the hype and marketing that has been stirring people into frenzies only to leave most of them disappointed when the game is officially launched. No more preorders and no more spending hours researching every bit of data on upcoming MMO launches. This game will get the same treatment all MMOs get from me now: ignore all marketing and devs, wait until launch to see what the impatient pre-order folks have to say, decide if it is worth it.

• DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982
    Originally posted by CthulhuPuffs

Agreed.

and without the Star Wars.

The "Star Wars" part was half the game.

• TheodwulfTheodwulf Member UncommonPosts: 311
    That's the million dollar question . are we talking a Star Wars Galaxies 2 or generic sci-fi Galaxies? The former has SWG biggest charm, great star warsy music, the latter is free of expectations generated by the IP. Jump to light speed is also a big part of the draw for me, without JTL , I wouldn't be that interested in either.
  • Starbuck1771Starbuck1771 Member UncommonPosts: 375
    Originally posted by doodphace
    It would appear that he also confirmed that it was a LucasArts decision to shut down SWG: http://www.reddit.com/r/EQNext/comments/1w2lu2/im_john_smedley_president_of_soe_amaa/cey5xki

Lucas Arts not continuing the license was never in any doubt....and do you blame them? The game had dropped to 10k subs in 2006, god knows what it was before its shutdown.

That's an interesting stat you made up with no source other than a random guess, yet you state it like it's a fact :)  They never announced subscription numbers - we'll never know its population stats throughout its life.

Exactly. BTW how you been Obraik? Anyways Doodphace yes I do blame Lucas Arts because if you were there for the final 3 months dureing the free to play period you would have found out that every issue that we had with the game was caused by LA. It was idiots like Julio Tores that wrecked the game not SOE.

• CazNeergCazNeerg Member Posts: 2,198
    Originally posted by Dauzqul
    Originally posted by CthulhuPuffs

Agreed.

and without the Star Wars.

The "Star Wars" part was half the game.

Only after the NGE.  Before the NGE, the game barely had any Star Wars at all.  Art assets and music files don't make an IP, lore and narrative do, and vanilla SWG had neither.

Which does nothing to take away from the fact that vanilla SWG was still a better game than NGE.  It just wasn't really Star Wars.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
    Through passion, I gain strength.
    Through strength, I gain power.
    Through power, I gain victory.
    Through victory, my chains are broken.
    The Force shall free me.

• ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392
    After my experiences with PlanetSide 2...seeing the decisions that were and are being made with that game....... There is no carrot SMEDLEY can dangle that will have me chasing  anything from that company.
  • SkeeSkeeSkeeSkee Member UncommonPosts: 129
    Originally posted by Theodwulf
    That's the million dollar question . are we talking a Star Wars Galaxies 2 or generic sci-fi Galaxies? The former has SWG biggest charm, great star warsy music, the latter is free of expectations generated by the IP. Jump to light speed is also a big part of the draw for me, without JTL , I wouldn't be that interested in either.

He said in the AMA that it's going to be brand new IP, not existing IP.  But you can take that as a bad thing (nothing familiar to hold it to) or see it as less hands in the creative cookie jar.  In SWG, SOE had to get LA's approval before adding or changing anything in game.  The players might have wanted something, SOE might have been ready to give it, but LA said "NO" and it couldn't happen and SOE came off looking like the bad guys because they can't say it was LA's decision. 

I wish people could have seen how the dev team was interacting with the community shortly before the plug was pulled.  They had learned from their mistakes.  LA, it seems, had given up caring about SWG (since SWTOR was launching soon) and told SOE "do whatever you want".  The dev team was spending a ton of time on the forums.  The pilots section was just amazing.  The JTL devs were going over problems and issues with players and everyone was working together to get stuff corrected.  Ideas were everywhere and devs were giving full no BS answers as to why things could be/couldn't be added.  It was what the community should have had all along, and it was wonderful.  SOE was doing right at the end when LA didn't care anymore.  That is what gives me hope with this new IP.

• MargraveMargrave Member RarePosts: 1,362

No Star Wars ... New IP .... Hmmmmm ..... Full on Smed ..... By SOE .....

I'm VERY doubtful of  this new title.

• MargulisMargulis Member CommonPosts: 1,614
    This was said to take the attention off of the 4 games shutting down, and onto this.  Working perfectly.  It's BS
  • HolophonistHolophonist Member UncommonPosts: 2,091
    At this point who cares? The Repopulation is going to give SWG fans a real home. I'm not about to get my hopes up or my interest piqued for something that is YEARS away and probably not going to live up any hype Smedley is trying to create.
  • kilunkilun Member UncommonPosts: 829

So to burst your bubble, but the Repopulation will be a total bust for almost all SWG players.  It has some features, but then goes all hardcore with its PVP.  It will not be anything like SWG.  Until I see a working economy in a game that has many social features, its another Earthrise, insert other games recently that have said what they intend to be like.

• Niall18Niall18 Member Posts: 31

I'm VERY confused. I mean TONS of people are like "OMG! Its back! SWG was the best game ever! I cant wait!"

Like please people, SWG was shut down due to not enough income to support the game, the Publisher & Developer both agreed that it was time to close it. 

"The shutdown of SWG is a very difficult decision, but SOE and LucasArts have mutually agreed that the end of 2011 is the appropriate time to end the game," -IGN, PCMag, An there official statement 

So Its either You dont truely love something till its gone, or alot of you are imposters lol

Check out my Blog for MMO News, Rants & Fun!

http://MMO-Elitist.blogger.com

• LeirosLeiros Member UncommonPosts: 281

... all I can say is ...

I'm gonna go with "cautiously optimistic." Unless the game has a musical score composed by John Williams, it's difficult to imagine it being a "home" for SWG vets.

• LeirosLeiros Member UncommonPosts: 281
    Originally posted by MMOBlogger

I'm VERY confused. I mean TONS of people are like "OMG! Its back! SWG was the best game ever! I cant wait!"

Like please people, SWG was shut down due to not enough income to support the game, the Publisher & Developer both agreed that it was time to close it. 

"The shutdown of SWG is a very difficult decision, but SOE and LucasArts have mutually agreed that the end of 2011 is the appropriate time to end the game," -IGN, PCMag, An there official statement 

So Its either You dont truely love something till its gone, or alot of you are imposters lol

People loved the original SWG. Sadly, that game died when the NGE and CU went into effect in 2005. The last 6 years of SWG was just a horrible time where the game was on life support, and many of those who loved the original were relieved when SOE finally pulled the plug on it. image

• ObraikObraik Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,261

That quote does not imply that it was shutdown because it wasn't making money.  SWG was doing much better than Vanguard was and yet that survived an extra two and a bit years.  it was only shutdown because LucasArts didn't want two MMOs anymore and figured TOR was the next big MMO. It was not... 

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by Leiros

People loved the original SWG. Sadly, that game died when the NGE and CU went into effect in 2005. The last 6 years of SWG was just a horrible time where the game was on life support, and many of those who loved the original were relieved when SOE finally pulled the plug on it. image

QFT.

while the NGE version did have a 'few' die hard fans, they represented only a very small fraction of the original playerbase, the life really had left the game and what was left was just a propped up corpse in need of burial. That it still had more players than Vanguard seems hard to believe, if so then then the Vanguard playerbase must have numbered just a few thousand at best, which probably made it as popular as DF;UW image

just kidding. DF;UW probably has double the amount of players Vanguard did image