Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Firefall: Red 5 Secures $23M in Series B Funding

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Red 5 has announced that it has secured $23 million in series B funding. The influx of funds will give Red 5 the opportunity to complete testing on Firefall and officially launch the game later in 2014.

Red 5 Studios has achieved substantial growth over the Beta period in 2013 and is working to expand the game to include highly anticipated features for Firefall. Players will begin to push back the Melding and take the fight directly to the Chosen. A new story-based campaign will be released soon that introduces new characters and starts to reveal the secrets behind the Melding and the events that have befallen Earth. Later this year, players will take combat to a new scale with the introduction of open-world PvP, as whole armies fight for the control of new areas revealed within the depths of the Melding.

Read the full press release on the Red 5 Studios site.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• akronakron Member UncommonPosts: 38
    Good for them. I'd call their investor a moron, but you'd expect those people to know a lot more about risk-management than I do.
  • TheHavokTheHavok Member UncommonPosts: 2,423
    Good. More investing in Red 5 is definitely a step in the right direction for firefall.  I still think this game's fundamentals are solid enough to warrant future success, as long as more, meaningful content and systems are added.
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967

For WHAT?

The game has barely changed AT ALL for the past 2-3 years, and now they're dropping all the earlier philosophy and doing some other poop.  These guys have blown through AAA budget and have nothing to show for it. All they do is sell dreams to the doofus fan boys they have and then get them to buy in game currency for a game supposedly in some "special" Beta. =

Every time there is a "patch", I log in and am back out of the game within the hour.

What a waste of money, resources and genuinely good talent. Fire the neck beards and shut it down.

"As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • spawn12345spawn12345 Member UncommonPosts: 172

Have they fixed the game yet?

Are they still in the delusion that people will play a pve mmo without upgrades?

Is their anything wortwhile to do in the game yet?

• TyserieTyserie Member UncommonPosts: 155
    Originally posted by FlyByKnight

For WHAT?

The game has barely changed AT ALL for the past 2-3 years, and now they're dropping all the earlier philosophy and doing some other poop.  These guys have blown through AAA budget and have nothing to show for it. All they do is sell dreams to the doofus fan boys they have and then get them to buy in game currency for a game supposedly in some "special" Beta. =

Every time there is a "patch", I log in and am back out of the game within the hour.

What a waste of money, resources and genuinely good talent. Fire the neck beards and shut it down.

agree completely

• KarahandrasKarahandras Member UncommonPosts: 1,703
    Originally posted by spawn12345

Are they still in the delusion that people will play a pve mmo without upgrades?

What do you think.

• KarahandrasKarahandras Member UncommonPosts: 1,703
    Originally posted by Tyserie

For WHAT?

agree completely

Same here.  All I can say is a fool is soon parted from their money and for $23,000,000 that's a very big fool.

• HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502

For WHAT?

That's what gets me, they keep touting all the 'changes' and while there have been minor ones, the over all game is still the same stagnant crap we have been telling them for the last 2 years doesn't work.  Great ideas, now put those ideas to work, jeesh make a game already.  I can't believe people give these guys money.

I should become a game dev.  All I need is an idea and about 6 bags of BS.  I will call it: Arizona Ocean front property wars online.  It will be just like SWG and WoW, with a little EQ1.  Come on guys give me money to make this.  My home Office will be in Jamaica, yeah best game ever made, trust me.

/Sarcasm.

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

• killion81killion81 Member UncommonPosts: 995
    Originally posted by Karahandras
    Originally posted by Tyserie

For WHAT?

agree completely

Same here.  All I can say is a fool is soon parted from their money and for $23,000,000 that's a very big fool.

People that have $23 million to invest as venture capital know what they are doing.  It's all part of a gambling strategy designed to pay off long term (that has to be somewhat successful or they won't have money to invest anymore).  Maybe this one is a bad call, but they may also make their money back on it.  Minimally they have a percentage ownership over all company physical and digital assets that can be sold off to alleviate losses, worst case.

The point is, people that can afford to invest millions of dollars as venture capital generally have those millions because they have a decent idea of what they're doing.  There are exceptions to this, such as people born into huge estates that never learned the value of a dollar, but I have to imagine their parents would try and leave some sort of safeguards in place... at least I would if I were the parent.

Edit: I'm not saying Firefall is a good game.  I grew bored of it pretty quickly, but that doesn't mean there isn't revenue potential there.  Tons of crappy games bring in enough revenue to be profitable.

• PopplePopple Member UncommonPosts: 239
    Originally posted by akron
    Good for them. I'd call their investor a moron, but you'd expect those people to know a lot more about risk-management than I do.

Huh; I got some kick Starters games you can give freely to..You learn fast about  risk-management ..

I retired retroactively..Haha

• Segun777Segun777 Jade Dynasty CorrespondentMember Posts: 97
    More good money after bad. They have what six months to a year to right this wreck on a wreck. Honestly, I think their better off "relaunching" it on the PS4. At least then they can get some good press that won't keep on mentioning the 'failure' of the PC version.
  • KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072

The game is fucked anyway, I just found out they are turning it into WoW clone as far as progression goes. The game will have power creep through the open world, rendering most of the world meaningless for players at "max level" who then are expected to spend their time grinding on a tiny antarctica "max level zone" for epic loot.

This game was meant to be a sandbox / sandpark whatever you want to call it -style of game, and now it's being turned into a shitty leveling game that you can stop playing as soon as you hit the power ceiling. All this game needed was more landmass / maps, with varying themes, and something like mission chains for people who are not used to sandbox style playing to get some direction.

On top of that just add crapload of random content like bounty hunting along with crashed thumpers and LGV's, and add rare versions of everything, not to mention bigger and longer "elite versions" of ARES missions and the like. But they have to go and turn it into a dumb leveling game with steep power creep ending in a tiny end game map.

They had chance to do wonders with the game now that the disaster called Mark was booted, but instead they chose to go on life support. Oh well, I guess that's the only way they got the new funding anyway, someone mentioned WoW style leveling and investors were sold, it seems like those 3 letters can still be used to milk money from investors as long as you make sure to ruin your own game.

• ariestearieste Member UncommonPosts: 3,309

Good news imo.

I'm not a big shooter fan, but i found Firefall to be all around excellent game.  Solid setting, fun combat, lots of interesting content, decent progression.

What it needed was just MORE of everything it had.  More missions,  more instances, more dynamic events, more landmass, etc.     The basics are great and hopefully the money will give them the resources to build on them. 

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO
    Favourites: AO,SWG,EVE,TR,LoTRO,TSW,EQ2, Firefall
    Currently Playing: ESO

• LahuzerLahuzer Member UncommonPosts: 782
    Finally. Open world PVP. Maybe I head back once that's in.
  • TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

I thought this game had already released.  It's kind of odd to see a combination of the game's story line progressing, along with elements of the game that need to be finished before the game is out of the Beta state.  Doesn't sound like the game will be reset when it officially releases.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• kabitoshinkabitoshin Member UncommonPosts: 854
    Really liked this game, but it took alot of time to invest to get to see different content.
  • KirinRahlKirinRahl Member UncommonPosts: 159
    Originally posted by spawn12345

There are definitely upgrades.

They're doing a patch the 28th that changes up the entire progression system with each tier having approximately double the power of the tier below it.

• IBrYcEIIBrYcEI Member Posts: 7

They Had a Good game at first really the crafting system sucks! and the whole collection process to craft an item......I would say they could fix pvp by just making a full pvp server this would also bring mass pvp lovers to the game also by going to this pvp world/server the rare minerals and items could be dropped there more to attract players to acturally go there at a risk.....but the only way for that to work would be for players to drop all items on death.

But this game is to far gone ive been signed up with these guys for like 2-3 years now and havnt seen much done at all....maybe a bit here and there nothing mind blowing though.

I give it 6 months till they notice there game is going down the drain then around a year till they start winding things down.

The game is just to boring what you do them purple missions on the map melding tornado and take back towns oh wait and thumping  not much of a sandbox?

Kuinns up there has got a good idea But what do i think a sandbox is?

Its a game that provides a open world for player to roam freely Without restrictions this means you can mix and match equipment to find what you like maybe abit of healing and then dps, find thousands of different items crafting not only from minerials but from items that monsters drop and items that can be found in the landscape maybe its a plant thats 20 minutes to walk to but at the same time you have to make it rewarding a sandbox gets boring if it just 1 or 2 things pretty much heres a list.

Guilds (will help players in open pvp or pve) players get bored if your community is lets say dull and is just afk all the time. make people want to be in a guild give them guild buffs or something.

Open world pvp (with safe zones) make npc's inforce safe zones this would be (karama) if you have bad karama from lets say copa then the guards will atatck you on site there for you causing to much trouble would also be good to have roaming patrols around your open world

Activitys/events:(on random) Racing events, kill 50 of these and you get this,bossing poping up in random places coming out of the ground or something, crashed satelite with rare loot.

There is so many things they could do with this game witch could turn it around.

dam like if you gave me 23 mill I would probably make this best mmo yet.

• Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960

Look at that. Going to a gear-based progression system with gated content... just like they said they wouldn't.

This team has wasted time, money, and is now going back on what the game was supposed to be. Good job, assholes. So very, very glad I didn't make the mistake of buying a founder's pack (I was close).

I like WoW clones. Several of my favorite MMOs are WoW clones. This was not supposed to be a WoW clone. It was to be an open world with huge zones to explore and things to discover, with lots of random events & an active, dynamic war against the Chosen & the melding. Bah, screw all that noise, right? Let's gate the content, and put in ridiculous item decay mechanics to force people to gather resources and craft.

Up yours Red 5. I've finally deleted your crap game off my drive after almost two years of watching, waiting, and hoping you idiots would come to your senses. So much for that.

You've wasted far too much time, money, and most importantly, player good will. Enjoy the miserable failure you're continuing to bring upon yourselves, because right now you're reminding me an awful lot of Flagship Studios.

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

• DAOWAceDAOWAce Member UncommonPosts: 432

I quit 2 years ago.

The game's direction has swung back and forth so much it makes it seem like Red 5 really doesn't know what they're doing.

If this actually improves the game in a big way, then good, I've wanted to go back for a long time but the just hasn't had any substance for quite a long time now.

• TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    I think it is weird how we all seem to see something different when we play this game.  I see a lot of people complaining about the lack of changes but it has been the opposite for me.  Every time I log in the skills or the crafting or the recipes or something else is changed.  I got tired of following this one through so many different directions and having to learnt he game over and over and over.  Plus the patches are cocoa-nuts big and take forever to download.
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD