Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] Marvel Heroes: Developers Answer a Ton of Questions

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

On 24-January, Gazillion brought down the Marvel Heroes game in order to apply content update 2.14.  The downtime for the patch was extended for several hours, during which time Doomsaw, Ryolnir, and a number of Gazillion developers participated in a marathon “Ask Gazillion Anything” session.  Several hours, eighty-plus pages of posts, and hundreds of questions later, we learned a lot of interesting things regarding the present and near future for Marvel Heroes.

Read more of Ryahl Smith's Marvel Heroes: Developers Answer a Ton of Questions.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960

It's Kate Bishop, not Hope. Also, it's Starktech, not 'Start Tech'.

Gazilion's transparency when it comes to the game is definitely impressive. Doomsaw himself has actually spent time in the game answering player questions and the like. I wish more devs were as open and honest as him, as the games industry would improve vastly.

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

• warscarzwarscarz Member Posts: 5
    me and my son just tried to play this game after all day downloading and it black screens both our computers ..so upon researching I found some 1's write up that talked about the many issues the game has so we both deleted . I blame the dev's honestly if u make a game it should at least launch and play not just black screen. oh and for u flamer's I have a quad core amd with 12 gig's ram and a nvida graphics card with 1 gig on board so I seriously doubt its my rig and to any dev who may read this you should have seen my sons face when he learned he couldn't play the game since he waited all week for me to download it . you should be ashamed breaking a kids heart
  • SeelinnikoiSeelinnikoi Member RarePosts: 1,360

Just got this game now, really good! You can buy the stuff from the shop all from in game items that mobs drop!

Better than D3 imo...

If you are a Star Wars fan, why not try the Star Wars The Old Republic?
    New players can get a welcome package and old/returning players can also get a welcome back package and 7 days free subscription time! Just click here to use my referral invitation
  • xBrycexBryce Member Posts: 5
    Originally posted by lordzen7
    me and my son just tried to play this game after all day downloading and it black screens both our computers ..so upon researching I found some 1's write up that talked about the many issues the game has so we both deleted . I blame the dev's honestly if u make a game it should at least launch and play not just black screen. oh and for u flamer's I have a quad core amd with 12 gig's ram and a nvida graphics card with 1 gig on board so I seriously doubt its my rig and to any dev who may read this you should have seen my sons face when he learned he couldn't play the game since he waited all week for me to download it . you should be ashamed breaking a kids heart

[mod edit] It's not the greatest game in the world, but just because it didn't happen to work for you doesn't mean the game is horrible or the dev is shitty. Next time wait for more than a day for a fix to your problem. We all end up having them, but the ones that really want to play are the ones you see in game. 

• RyahlRyahl Member Posts: 47
    Originally posted by Solar_Prophet

It's Kate Bishop, not Hope. Also, it's Starktech, not 'Start Tech'.

Gazilion's transparency when it comes to the game is definitely impressive. Doomsaw himself has actually spent time in the game answering player questions and the like. I wish more devs were as open and honest as him, as the games industry would improve vastly.

I have no idea what I was thinking interchanging Hope for Kate.  That one's just flat out confusing to me.

The Stark Tech one is a direct typo.  I'm thinking auto-correct caught me there and I missed it in proofs.

The Gazillion team are really enjoyable to observe.  They clearly have a passion for the game and really enjoy interacting with their customers.  They also have some people on that team who are well-vetted Marvel fans as well, I'm often surprised by their breadth of IP knowledge.

Ryahl - writer of eye-bleeders
    FFXIV Fansite | TSWGuides
    Follow me on Twitter

• Doomsaw-GazillionDoomsaw-Gazillion Marvel HeroesMember Posts: 134

Hey LordZen7, I have seen another person in the same situation you described. The game will absolutely run for you - what is happening is that your video card is not supporting the resolution the game is defaulting to, which is easy to fix.

There are a few options, including running in Windowed mode or forcing an initial resolution. I will have a tech support staff contact you ASAP.

I hope your situation is resolved soon and you and your son can enjoy the game. 

Doomsaw

Creative Director

Marvel Heroes

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    I like crazy rants that end with every happy.
  • SkymourneSkymourne Member UncommonPosts: 380
    Originally posted by lordzen7

[mod edit]

Doomsaw gave you the solution.  the moral of the story is not to give up so easily.  Something to pass on maybe?  The game is solid, so give it a shot.

• eveque67eveque67 Member UncommonPosts: 64

Agreed on the dont give up at the first sign of adversity part.  I try to teach my son that very concept that nothing you really want in life is easy or free.  I play the game and my son also plays the game.  Sometimes we group and sometimes we dont since we have different goals and likes but its still nice to look up and see him playing with me.

Its a good, solid game with enough in it for the young and enough in it for the older superhero fans.

TY Doomsaw for your transparency.  Ive played MMO's since the EQ1 days and your by far one of the most approachable and willing to actually listen, not just hear.

• SamhaelSamhael Member RarePosts: 1,498
    Also, that should be "Luke Cage" not "Like Cage."
    Originally posted by Samhael
    Also, that should be "Luke Cage" not "Like Cage."

Ugg!  This is what happens when I try to rush a story.  I would award a No Prize except (1) I'm pretty sure it's trademarked and (2) they would stack up too high if they were based on my typos...

Apologies for the multiple mistakes!

Follow me on Twitter

• AntiquatedAntiquated Member RarePosts: 1,415
    [selfmod edit for snarky spambot comment]
  • TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619

I grabbed this one early and shelled out a big chuck hoping it was going to be fun.  At first the drop rate was terrible and I never found a costume or hero.  Then they added the new things you collect and buy what you want but they drop so slowly you have to play for a month just to pick up one new hero.  I have played for an hour and only found 3 of them and heroes cost 250 last time I played.  That's 83 hours of play to earn one new hero.  That is way too much.

Realistically, a person should find a new hero every two weeks.  That would keep people playing and trying new play styles while still buying costumes from the store.  The current focus on buying buffs to increase your item find to get more of the things to drop to get a new hero in less than a month is what turned me off this one.

It can be a fun casual game but due to high prices in the shop and low drop rates, I moved on some time ago.

"Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• RelGnRelGn Member Posts: 494
    in 5 years it will be ready

• jesadjesad Member UncommonPosts: 882
    Originally posted by Deleted User

It's a shame that this guy deleted his MMORPG.com account, but in the name of not disappointing any future children allow me to say that running the game in administrator mode cures the black screen on many of the newer systems.

Right click the Marvel Heroes icon and select "Run as administrator" and hola!!  Game works.

For the record, Marvel Heroes is not the only game that has this kind of problem.

• thecapitainethecapitaine Member UncommonPosts: 408
    This game gets my vote as most improved MMO for 2013.  I initially was very disappointed with the RNG method of acquiring heroes, the balance between heroes, and the prices in the cash shop.  However, Gaz has addressed each of those as well as heaping on new ways to play, adding new heroes and costumes, and basically enhancing every element of their game.
    Originally posted by thecapitaine
    This game gets my vote as most improved MMO for 2013.  I initially was very disappointed with the RNG method of acquiring heroes, the balance between heroes, and the prices in the cash shop.  However, Gaz has addressed each of those as well as heaping on new ways to play, adding new heroes and costumes, and basically enhancing every element of their game.

It is a game that is very easy to just jump in and play for 20-30 minutes at a time.

It is also a game in which those 20-30 minutes can easily turn into "hey, where did the last five hours go?"  There are so many ways to find yourself doing "just one more [insert option] and I will log off!"

It's definitely a great game and the developer team has done an amazing job adding to it.  The only downside, as I see it, is that your feelings about the game are likely to be deeply tied to how well a specific hero fits your preferred playstyle. 

With the stable-size of the game roster, it's almost a guarantee that there is a match.  However, finding that match can be problematic if you don't know the universe really well.  Once you find that hook, though, the game really shines.

Follow me on Twitter