Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars Galaxies: Our Next Game is Dedicated to You

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

During yesterday's AMA with SOE President John Smedley with specific regard to the recent game closures, Smed let loose that a new 'as yet unannounced' title is in the works and is dedicated to Star Wars Galaxies fans and former players. 

Q: If you could relaunch a shutdown title, which one would you pick and what would you do differently this time?

Smedley: SWG. I would do everything differently. SWG Players - Our next game (not announced yet) is dedicated to you. Once we launch it...you can come home now.

According to a later post by an AMA reader, the SWG trademark was renewed last month as sourced by this image.

Smedley had no further comments on the matter but we'll keep you posted!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• GrailerGrailer Member UncommonPosts: 893

Sorry I made a mistake ,  I instantly envisioned SWTOR  not SWG which I thought was a brilliant game , I unlocked a jedi but for some reason people got jealous and eventually they made it a quest everyone could do which basically was the end of the game .

If they use the EQNext sandbox technology for Starwars the game could be utterly amazing beyond anything we ever envisioned in our wildest dreams .

• A1learjetA1learjet Member UncommonPosts: 258
    Disney SoE collaboration due to upcoming movies

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    Thing is, one of the comments Smedley made about Clone Wars was something to do with licensing. From what I've read, this will not be a SW game, but a new IP in the spirit of SWG. Maybe?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614
    Originally posted by SBFord

Smedley: SWG. I would do everything differently. SWG Players - Our next game (not announced yet) is dedicated to you. Once we launch it...you can come home now.

Strange, I got the message in 2005 sent by some mr Smedley from SOE and some mrs Nancy Macintyre  from Lucasarts to "GTFO, we don't want you, we rather want those millions of WoW players coming here!"

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• nationalcitynationalcity Member UncommonPosts: 501
    Thing is, one of the comments Smedley made about Clone Wars was something to do with licensing. From what I've read, this will not be a SW game, but a new IP in the spirit of SWG. Maybe?

Yeah, he said in the AMA it's a new IP. I assume the same as you though that it's gonna be made in the spirit of SWG.....

• TivianTivian Member UncommonPosts: 168
    Here we go again...the SWG crybaby haters are out in full force again. DON'T LIKE THE GAME MOVE ON!!! GET OVER IT there are plenty of us that liked the game and were sad to see it shut down. SWG had the best space layer of any game I have ever played....BIOWARE could take lessons from it.....instead of hijacking Star Fox and World of Warplanes software.
  • Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713

Maybe it's "Smedley Wars Galaxies" or "Sony Wars Galaxies".

Sandbox Wars Galaxies?

• karmathkarmath Member UncommonPosts: 904
    If this is true, holy shit.
  • Blazer6992Blazer6992 Member UncommonPosts: 642

Don't forgrt, it's Smedley. Next week he'll say that he never said that. They will claim his facebook account was hacked and it wasn't him saying that.

• EndoRobotoEndoRoboto Member Posts: 275
    Hate to ride the gloom train but it feels like I've lost all faith in SoE. It really is up to the indies, for me at least. That aside, there are many out there who deserve this game, but will probably get burned. :(
  • PrecursorPrecursor Member UncommonPosts: 150

Lucasfilm re-registered the mark. That may be more about the disney aquisition. Could be they have plans for a reboot of the title to run with new film release. More likely disney wants to be nasty and legally hassle the emu devs so their precious IP isnt sullied by the barbarian vocal minority swg populace. /snicker

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

This seems to be the most likely scenario.  Though, if it was a SW game, holy cats that would be a big deal.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• AlomarAlomar Member RarePosts: 1,299
    Well, I for one missed SWG's prime (launch), and having spent many years listening to how amazing it was I look forward to seeing something similar.
    Haxus Council Member
    21  year MMO veteran 
    PvP Raid Leader 
    Lover of The Witcher & CD Projekt Red
  • PrecursorPrecursor Member UncommonPosts: 150
    Originally posted by Mithrundir
    Well, I for one missed SWG's prime (launch), and having spent many years listening to how amazing it was I look forward to seeing something similar.

At the time, it wasnt so amazing. It had a wealth of troubles like most other mmos. Gamers bitched and complained about it just like any title past and current.

That old hair band was right:

You don't know what you got till it's gone

• ZoeMcCloskeyZoeMcCloskey Member UncommonPosts: 1,372
    Always hope until there is no more.

• GregorMcgregorGregorMcgregor Member UncommonPosts: 263
    New SWG would be great, no breath holding though, it's bound to explode. /chocolate bar!

No trials. No tricks. No traps. No EU-RP server. NO THANKS!

...10% Benevolence, 90% Arrogance in my case!
  • HellidolHellidol Member UncommonPosts: 476
    so about year 2020 we will see this game o:

why not just say somethign about it in 2019.....

• AcorniaAcornia Member UncommonPosts: 273
    I would like to see a new SWG game.  Thinking that it will be based on the EQN game engine since it is already made and that EQL will have a sci-fy area to play in.  This would help them make the 2015 movie release date.
  • AdamaiAdamai Member UncommonPosts: 476

swg trademark has been renewed!! that means disney has giveny soe the rights to swg as a trademark, now being as swg was set in the time line of the first 3 films it means its completely different to the new swtor as thats set in the old republic time line..

this must mean they are either relaunching swg !! or they are creating swg2 or another version of a starwars game which is very similar to what swg was.

the keywords are !!! "the swg trademark has been renewed as of last month"  swg means starwars galaxies. 

• widginwidgin Member UncommonPosts: 11

I came across this after seeing the image from this article.

http://www.trademarks411.com/trademark-search?c=Barbara+Quinn&page=17

There are 2 trademarks for Star Wars Galaxies. 

On this page the upper SWG selection is the one talked about in this article. It has a goods and services class #09.

The lower SWG selection with the red triangle, has a goods and services class #041, which describes an online game over networks and such.

As the trademark has to be renewed between the 9th and 10th year, the one not renewed yet, serial #76329362  (online game?) will be dead/abandoned after Feb. 24, 2014.

Also, Barbara Quinn is a lawyer for the Walt Disney Company. So, speculate as you will.

• VaselVasel Member UncommonPosts: 226
    ITs hollow words any how. A new unnamed title is 4-5 years away if its true.
  • winterwinter Member UncommonPosts: 2,281
     WoW Smed just keeps piling the BS higher and higher. He'll say anything to make a buck, and then do anything he wants (generally ruin a game like SWG) and then tell the players to fuck off in so many words.
    Originally posted by ZoeMcCloskey
    Always hope until there is no more.

Never hope blindly or stupidly. If someone kicks you in the nuts once don't go running up to them joyously with open arms hopeing they wont  do it a second time.

Originally posted by Hellidol
    so about year 2020 we will see this game o:

why not just say somethign about it in 2019.....

Only if EQN and EQ landmark do well, and even then only if enough people drink the Smed cool-aid.

• Sunnyguy46Sunnyguy46 Member UncommonPosts: 91
    Originally posted by Muke

Strange, I got the message in 2005 sent by some mr Smedley from SOE and some mrs Nancy Macintyre  from Lucasarts to "GTFO, we don't want you, we rather want those millions of WoW players coming here!"

Ya, hopefully you never get what you want because of something that was said / happened nine years ago...