Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Gameplay Walkthrough

ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361

http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/fu91lg/middle-earth--shadow-of-mordor-gameplay-walkthrough

Its like Lord of the Rings meets Assassins Creed/Arkham Origin

Looks great to me.

Comments

• stealthbrstealthbr Member UncommonPosts: 1,054
    Reminds me a lot of Assassin's Creed.
  • collektcollekt Member UncommonPosts: 328
    Looks like it could be a fun game, but as others are saying it looks like a blatant Assassin's Creed rip off. I guess that's not necessarily a bad thing, but they even have the vision effect. It literally looks like a sequel to AC but in the LOTR world.
  • ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    Originally posted by collekt
    Looks like it could be a fun game, but as others are saying it looks like a blatant Assassin's Creed rip off. I guess that's not necessarily a bad thing, but they even have the vision effect. It literally looks like a sequel to AC but in the LOTR world.

I really like that teleportation thing in the middle of combat

• KhannageKhannage Member Posts: 8

Definitely feels more Assassin's Creed than LotR from that footage however some of the control systems and boss fights looks pretty good. If the core combat is fun then it might be a good game, the biggest problem could be the poor PC port (if any).

Khannage

http://www.UKLANS.co.uk - Video Podcast covering PC Gaming and Gadgets

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    Originally posted by Khannage

Definitely feels more Assassin's Creed than LotR from that footage however some of the control systems and boss fights looks pretty good. If the core combat is fun then it might be a good game, the biggest problem could be the poor PC port (if any).

Khannage

yeah that's what I keep reading. This looks MUCH better to me since I never liked Assassin's Creed because of the setting and story.

this "nemesis system" (which is probably not as robust as one might think;  though we will see) does seem fun.

after looking at the game play I am in. I just "hope" that the PC port is decent.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030
    Originally posted by Sovrath
    Originally posted by Khannage

Khannage

yeah that's what I keep reading. This looks MUCH better to me since I never liked Assassin's Creed because of the setting and story.

this "nemesis system" (which is probably not as robust as one might think;  though we will see) does seem fun.

after looking at the game play I am in. I just "hope" that the PC port is decent.

Some of the animation seem lifted from AC and the game systems shown look like a cross between Prince of Persia/AC and the Batman Arkham games.But to me that coudl be a great thing AC open world traversal coupled with Batman's multiple opponent combat set in Tolkien's world sounds amazing to me if they pull it off.Especially if it means no boring,long tailing and eavesdropping missions that have become the bulk of AC's story missions.

the batman PC ports have been relatively good when it comes to the core they just all have had some pretty bad bugs at launch that needed to be sorted out.So I'd expect similar for Warner's port of this game.

• Jimmy562Jimmy562 Member UncommonPosts: 1,158

I wouldn't say it's an AC rip off. It shares two features which are very similar but there's more to a game than two features. 

Looks very good in my opinion.

• FlemFlem Member UncommonPosts: 2,870
    Looks good, i see some similarities to the batman games, combat for example.  
  • MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    Looked like a bad Kung Fu movie when the group of orcs was attacking him one at a time.
    Originally posted by Jimmy562

I wouldn't say it's an AC rip off. It shares two features which are very similar but there's more to a game than two features. 

Looks very good in my opinion.

I see a lot more than just two features and features from batman arkham games but to me thats a good thing because I loved those games.

• Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960

Looks like a combination of Assassin's Creed, the Rocksteady Batman games, and Dishonored, with a little bit of Soul Reaver thrown in. An impressive combination, if done right.

I liked Assassin's Creed... up until they introduced all the modern day crap. Completely ruined the series with that garbage IMO; had they stuck to making the series a chronicle of the Assassin's order through the centuries leading up to present day it would've been a hundred times better.

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

• MetanolMetanol Member UncommonPosts: 248

While it was first beautiful, everything started going down from the moment we entered the "wraith mode".

I am a huge fan of Tolkien's works, and this just dosn't make any sense.

Why do the orcs act like generic console game foes, surrounding the ranger, but attacking one at a time? Why do they stop attacking when you go into a "quicktime event" (epic kill, stab a foe by pressing X, Y, Z - Everyone literally froze at 6:27)? Why does the ranger have super awesome magic to stun orcs with? Why can the ranger "blink" around, moving super fast, but otherwise moves at a normal speed in combat? Sigh... Not to mention all these wraith things.

And we had such potential with the game.. Well, we could have had. I knew the game was not for me, from the very beginning.

Remember, this is all just my opinion.

PS. Gotta love cheap gore.. Blade goes through, blood comes out, blade comes out, no visible wound. However, decapitation is important enough to be implemented in detail, but not other wounds on boss creatures. I mean, it just looked cheap in that super execution move.

PPS. In my opinion, "CaptKirk" made a beautiful post on that video. Allow me to quote him:

"I dont mind developers repeating game mechanics if they actually fit the world, and what the game experience should be. but AC's free running and Batman's detective vision, and the over the top magic teleporting and such just come across as silly in Tolkiens world.

This Talion guy could end Sauron and the war of the ring in a blink of an eye lol. He's Chuck Norris, Superman and the Caped Crusader all rolled into one haha. Just ridiculous."

We?re all dead, just say it.

Originally posted by Metanol

While it was first beautiful, everything started going down from the moment we entered the "wraith mode".

I am a huge fan of Tolkien's works, and this just dosn't make any sense.

Why do the orcs act like generic console game foes, surrounding the ranger, but attacking one at a time? Why do they stop attacking when you go into a "quicktime event" (epic kill, stab a foe by pressing X, Y, Z - Everyone literally froze at 6:27)? Why does the ranger have super awesome magic to stun orcs with? Why can the ranger "blink" around, moving super fast, but otherwise moves at a normal speed in combat? Sigh... Not to mention all these wraith things.

And we had such potential with the game.. Well, we could have had. I knew the game was not for me, from the very beginning.

Remember, this is all just my opinion.

PS. Gotta love cheap gore.. Blade goes through, blood comes out, blade comes out, no visible wound. However, decapitation is important enough to be implemented in detail, but not other wounds on boss creatures. I mean, it just looked cheap in that super execution move.

PPS. In my opinion, "CaptKirk" made a beautiful post on that video. Allow me to quote him:

"I dont mind developers repeating game mechanics if they actually fit the world, and what the game experience should be. but AC's free running and Batman's detective vision, and the over the top magic teleporting and such just come across as silly in Tolkiens world.

This Talion guy could end Sauron and the war of the ring in a blink of an eye lol. He's Chuck Norris, Superman and the Caped Crusader all rolled into one haha. Just ridiculous."

Hes slowly turning into a wraith, thats how hes getting powers.  And theres probably a limit to how much you can use the powers at a time just like in any game so you wont be over powered.  Imagine if mages never ran out of mana in mmos and can just constantly use their best move in battle.

• pappacubepappacube Member UncommonPosts: 99
    I could give it a shot.  The combat was a little hard to follow at times but it is definitely interesting.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    Originally posted by Metanol

hmmmm "maybe".

I'll be one of the first people to point out such things in a multiplayer game. I still don't believe in the rune keepers in lotro.

But when you get into a single player game where "one" unique character "can" make sense then a bit of leeway "could" be afforded.

On the cynical side, one can look at him bounding about, jumping from high heights, etc and roll one's eyes. It's a bit over the top. However, that could be reigned in by the developers (they won't) and I imagine by the player (they probably don't realize)

Essentially, when playing, don't jump from massive "OMFG I COULD DIE BUT WON'T BECAUSE I'M AWESOME" heights. Don't use powers that you feel ruin the experience.

The idea of hunting down each nemesis sounds fun. Does a player have use the teleportation? No.Is it ignoring a main feature of the game? yes, but It's not what the game "has to" be about.

Regarding the powers and the wraith thing:

Other than the Ring Wraiths, there is mention of wraiths in middle earth. Wraiths are essentially "ghosts" or supernatural entities.

Apparently one is Gorlim, then Helm Hammerhand; his wraith was rumored to be in Rohan.

Essentially, the idea of "wraiths" are known to the denizens of middle earth.

So I imagine the developers thought "what happens if a person is taken over? What would the Wraith be able to do?" Especially in middle earth where some semblance of "magic" does exist.

Is it all over the top? Yes. Can one ignore it? On certain levels that is up to you.

Can one "role play through it"? Most decidedly.

Again, as a single player game it can work. i don't think I could stomach a lord of the rings multiplayer game where everyone was doing this.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • plat0nicplat0nic Member Posts: 301
    Looks pretty sweet to me! Whens the release on it?

Main Game: Eldevin (Plat0nic)
    2nd Game: Path of Exile (Platonic Hate)

• HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411
    Makes me think of witcher in some ways.
  • DeathspankDeathspank Member UncommonPosts: 139

I am i big Tokein fan and i wasn't disappointed when Tom Bombadil wasn't sown in the first movie or when Glorfindel didn't save Frodo when they escaped from Weathertop. I know Peter Jackson went his own way when he made the movies and I throughly enjoyed them. 

I feel the same way for this game. The devs have already said that they are going their own way with this game, and it's story is by no means cannon. It will be set between The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings and it's story is being worked on by the guy who worked on the story for Red Dead Redemption, one of my favorite games.

They also openly say that  Arkham City was the "inspiration" for their combat system. i personally don't care if they copy Arkham City or Assassins Creed as long as the final product is a good game. 

• DhampirDhampir Member UncommonPosts: 156
    Looking forward to playing this one.
    “Nothing is trivial.”
    ― James O'Barr, The Crow

“Sarah: "Buildings burn, people die, but real love is forever...”
    ― James O'Barr, The Crow

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
    Originally posted by MightyUnclean
    Looked like a bad Kung Fu movie when the group of orcs was attacking him one at a time.

Bad Kung Fu movies are still the best Kung Fu movies!