Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Guide] WildStar: Chief Sarcan's Everything You Need to Know Class Guide

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Before you begin your WildStar journey, you need to have a basic understanding of each class. Chief Sarcan hasput together this guide to help you on your way. For each class, he will cover the basic elements, class roles, innate abilities and class techniques. Check out the guide and let us know your thoughts in the comments.

Read more of Franklin Rinaldi's WildStar: Chief Sarcan's Everything You Need to Know Class Guide.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• sk8chalifsk8chalif Member UncommonPosts: 666
    4 ranged dps and only 2 melee dps? is  it not a bit unbalanced?

~The only opinion that matters is your own.Everything else is just advice,~

• EriccomptonEriccompton Member UncommonPosts: 51
    I can see the Gen Chat on that server now..."LFG, need tank" "DPS LFG, need tank" "Group paying 100x for a tank" "Any tanks on right now?"
  • SeorynSeoryn Member UncommonPosts: 42
    Originally posted by Ericcompton
    I can see the Gen Chat on that server now..."LFG, need tank" "DPS LFG, need tank" "Group paying 100x for a tank" "Any tanks on right now?"

If the game has a system that calls for tank/heals/dps, there's almost always going to be a need for tank and/or heals somewhere along the line. People just find it easier to DPS, it's less responsibilities, less risk of getting yelled at unless you happen to not be pulling reasonable numbers. At least with this game, everyone can DPS and half the classes can heal while the other half can tank. 50/50 is a whole lot better than 4 out of 11.
  • RebelScum99RebelScum99 Member Posts: 1,090

Three of the six classes can tank:  Warrior, Stalker, and Engineer.  

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

Tanks have always been a tougher spot to fill. They aren't nessarily "hard", they require a type of skill that is different from others, particularly awareness and a lesser part leadership.

Most people like to do DPS cause "LOOK I DO BIG NUMBERS DERP DERP" Mentality that we all have (yes me included). Its often easier sure, but most just like it to be about 'them' and doing damage often gives that sense of 'this happened cause of me' despite the fact the healer and tanks in most cases hold more effect on whether an encounter was successful or not.

Healers are usually more abundant since its more of a 'I can see my efforts actually doing something' type of effect. As a healer you can tell your supporting and its more visible then a tank. Sure agro does show that stuff and the actions you do can affect a victory or defeat, but its not something you can really visually see with numbers like the other two.

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335
    The ranged isn't really what I consider ranged, though.  Like when playing a mage or hunter in WoW, the distance to the target is quite large.  Wildstar is like....half of that if not a quarter.  Just look at all the gameplay vids of classes and you'll see what I mean where the end of the "projected" path of your attack is quite short of a distance.  Makes all classes kind of feel the same IMO.
  • BlackadderaBlackaddera Member Posts: 69
    Originally posted by Purutzil

Tanks have always been a tougher spot to fill. They aren't nessarily "hard", they require a type of skill that is different from others, particularly awareness and a lesser part leadership.

Most people like to do DPS cause "LOOK I DO BIG NUMBERS DERP DERP" Mentality that we all have (yes me included). Its often easier sure, but most just like it to be about 'them' and doing damage often gives that sense of 'this happened cause of me' despite the fact the healer and tanks in most cases hold more effect on whether an encounter was successful or not.

Healers are usually more abundant since its more of a 'I can see my efforts actually doing something' type of effect. As a healer you can tell your supporting and its more visible then a tank. Sure agro does show that stuff and the actions you do can affect a victory or defeat, but its not something you can really visually see with numbers like the other two.

In WoW I was a feral druid tank and raidleader. In the beginning I started tanking cause of a shortage of tanks in the guild but I loved it so much that I became MT very soon. Eversince I've been tanking in most games, with Wildstar I'll be going for a Stalker tank :p

the steel shines red with enemy blood. It sings of victory, granted by the gods. And as they return bleeding but proud, the horizon burns and the song is ringing LOUD!

• CazNeergCazNeerg Member Posts: 2,198
    Originally posted by Purutzil

Actually, most people like to DPS because it is a hell of a lot more effective as a soloing tool than tanking is, for most encounters.  You have to remember that most players fall into the "casual" category, and most casuals fall into the camps of either preferring to solo, or at least being willing to solo.  You have to be pretty group focused to want to be dedicated tank or healer.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
    Through passion, I gain strength.
    Through strength, I gain power.
    Through power, I gain victory.
    Through victory, my chains are broken.
    The Force shall free me.

• ZoeMcCloskeyZoeMcCloskey Member UncommonPosts: 1,372
    Interesting read.

• RebelScum99RebelScum99 Member Posts: 1,090
    Originally posted by elocke
    The ranged isn't really what I consider ranged, though.  Like when playing a mage or hunter in WoW, the distance to the target is quite large.  Wildstar is like....half of that if not a quarter.  Just look at all the gameplay vids of classes and you'll see what I mean where the end of the "projected" path of your attack is quite short of a distance.  Makes all classes kind of feel the same IMO.

None of the classes in this game play remotely like the other classes.  Each one feels completely different, even if they are both "ranged," per se.  As an example, take the esper, spellslinger, and engineer.  All three attack from range, but the engineer uses gadgets and bots while doing most of their damage from medium range.  The esper, on the other hand, attacks from further out, but has wider spray attacks (the telegraph covers more area to AoE mobs down).  The drawback is that many of the abiliites require you to be stationary.  The spellslinger is the classic long-range nuker.  They have range out to 40 yards or more if amped correctly, as long as other ranged classes in MMOs.  The challenge for them is grouping up more mobs for AoE, since their casts aren't as wide.  They are a narrow column that stretches pretty far.  So they are more about positioning  to maximize their dps and healing. They also have the ability to sacrifice some of that range for more mobility and a wider cast.  

So no, the classes don't all play the same, and the ranged classes don't all project short distance attacks.  It's all how you build your attack set, and what you want to achieve in combat.   

• SteelDemon09SteelDemon09 Member UncommonPosts: 13

lol thats not even close to true, most people in groups look for dps

• BacchiraBacchira Member Posts: 50
    Originally posted by SteelDemon09

lol thats not even close to true, most people in groups look for dps

Are you talking about WildStar in particular?

Cause I have never in my life played an MMORPG where DPS classes were a shortage, never.