Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Worth starting for new player

richkakrichkak Member UncommonPosts: 8

I've been having more free time than usual recently; would it be worth it to just play this game for a month or two? I'm just wondering if there are plenty of active players... 

Any other game suggestions would be much appreciated as well; I'm very open minded. Thanks!

Have played: Old School Runescape, Flyff, Maplestory, 2Moons, World of Warcraft, Aion, Aika Online, Battle of the Immortals, Allods, Global Agenda, Heroes of Three Kingdoms, SWTOR, TERA, FFXIV, Vindictus, RIFT, Planetside 2, Elder Scrolls Online, WoW Classic, Guild Wars 2, Destiny 2

Waiting for Outriders and Wow Classic TBC

Comments

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Its not a bad game to play for a few months. Some people stay longer, personally the content updates weren't enough to keep me, but the base game is fun for a while.
  • ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476

Yes ! Play the free EQ2 and then sub for a month. Im on permafrost server. If you like send me an emai here and will get you started.

GMGC US Navy {ret.}

" Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • PyatraPyatra Member Posts: 644
    Agreed, its a leveling bullet train to the middle of the Sahara.  The ride is great and really fun.... but then you get to max lvl on several toons after a single month or two and you look around.... then you leave.  But for a month or two, yes its pretty good.
  • GillleanGilllean Member Posts: 169

Idk why but I still play recently I got GreatSword skin from fractal 50 got full ascended  made a new guard for PVP and ZERG in WVW  not much but still having fun in game plus I rely like to play with good people.

Plus i love asura and is ESO will be no asura so I will keep playing because I will miss them when ESO will release ^_^

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066

There are plenty of active players.

As a new player you will most likely starting by playing alone and then suddenly you come across an event and there is 2 or 3 more people around. Then you run into a huge mob of players farming champions or beating some chest boss.

Last sunday, 7 people doing a low level event in Queensdale (it is the most popular starting area but this is also an event out of the train path).

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• richkakrichkak Member UncommonPosts: 8
    Sweet thanks for the perspectives everyone, I appreciate it. I'll download it in a bit

Have played: Old School Runescape, Flyff, Maplestory, 2Moons, World of Warcraft, Aion, Aika Online, Battle of the Immortals, Allods, Global Agenda, Heroes of Three Kingdoms, SWTOR, TERA, FFXIV, Vindictus, RIFT, Planetside 2, Elder Scrolls Online, WoW Classic, Guild Wars 2, Destiny 2

Waiting for Outriders and Wow Classic TBC

• KenaoshiKenaoshi Member UncommonPosts: 1,022

Am here since beta, now baking my 6th toon (Thief- 70), which probally be 80 by this weekend, totallizing a 3 weeks of very casual, now and then, of gameplay. If i remember my first 80 took 1 week of less casual gameplay, so you should be 80 in a click :)

Just a few reminders that may interest you, or not:

- all classes can melee, all can go ranged too. (Fixed, thanks Gaia)

- Each class play differently, so if you don't like playing one class don't be afraid to change to another.

- There are quest hubs(Hearts), but the focus is the dynamic events(Orange thingies), but try completing the map for extra itens, keys, mats.

- The official forums is full of players willing to answer your question, as there also videos on youtube for every single cranies over there.

As for the PVP aspect of the game... well i am not a fan so i will let someone else take on it :p 

now: GW2 (11 80s).
    Dark Souls 2.
    future: Mount&Blade 2 BannerLord.
    "Bro, do your even fractal?"
    Recommends: Guild Wars 2, Dark Souls, Mount&Blade: Warband, Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning.

Originally posted by Kenaoshi

- With exeception of engineer all other classes can melee, all can go ranged too.

Tool kit and bomb kit, so all classes have access to melee and ranged options.

Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• KenaoshiKenaoshi Member UncommonPosts: 1,022
    Originally posted by Gaia_Hunter
    Originally posted by Kenaoshi

- With exeception of engineer all other classes can melee, all can go ranged too.

Tool kit and bomb kit, so all classes have access to melee and ranged options.

Ops forgot of eng utility skills, should be making one next XD

now: GW2 (11 80s).
    Dark Souls 2.
    future: Mount&Blade 2 BannerLord.
    "Bro, do your even fractal?"
    Recommends: Guild Wars 2, Dark Souls, Mount&Blade: Warband, Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning.

• RhazmuzRhazmuz Member UncommonPosts: 208
    P=ayed for maybe 3 weeks. got to max lvl, and quickly found that end game is one big plateau. No real avenues for continous char progression, as the best gear could just be bought on trader, and anything beyond that is mostly cosmetic, and is one hell of a grind.
    Starting locatino are not popular because most people who got gold Power lvl from 1 to 60 with crafting  that why starting low lvl location are not very populated still when a champ spawn people rise like mushrooms after rain   than at 60 is a new spot where people farm gold  great spot to lvl up fast from 60 to 80  plus gold a bit  If you will want to know I will tel you now Im lazy to search how it is called )))
    Originally posted by Jean-Luc_Picard
    Originally posted by Rhazmuz
    P=ayed for maybe 3 weeks. got to max lvl, and quickly found that end game is one big plateau. No real avenues for continous char progression, as the best gear could just be bought on trader, and anything beyond that is mostly cosmetic, and is one hell of a grind.

Spoken as someone who is not only exaggerating some points to bash the game, but also who obviously hasn't played the game lately.

I'd like to see him buy full ascended gear from the "trader".

Sad part if I will reply him sarcastically most probably I would get ban again. Hate this kind of people.

Arena promissed no grid ? well here you go no grind exotics .

If you want grid here we go Craft you're self an ascended set witch will take a lot of gold and 1 month if to craft not by from Trade post  if you're not dumb to invest 500$ into crystals and then to gold .

Grind? 

Sorrow Embrance P1 in a good team 7 - 10 min  1 gold    40 tokens

COF  p1 1gold 40 tokens       7 min   p 2    15 min  1gold  40 tokens

Ascalanian Catacombs   P 1 p2 p3    1 H for all + -   4.5 godl aproximativly   120 tokens

also if you daily in a week you will have 500 tokens in COF and AC witch you can transform into 20 if lucky gold

and this is  for max 2 h a day of daily runs  best option to run in zerk rush because people are good expirenced and skilled

also if you want challange go into fractal lvls .

I love how people wipe at lvl 10   but exp people rush lvl 50 in 1 h

transfer to a server witch is focused alot on WVW love wvw  following some commanders is fun especialy wipeing noobs

Rhazmuz what you want WOW gear proggresion every 6 months FARM gear like a maindless zombie?

Is it me or all fell like want to slap when read dumb post on internet ?

Originally posted by Gilllean
    Starting locatino are not popular because most people who got gold Power lvl from 1 to 60 with crafting  that why starting low lvl location are not very populated still when a champ spawn people rise like mushrooms after rain   than at 60 is a new spot where people farm gold  great spot to lvl up fast from 60 to 80  plus gold a bit  If you will want to know I will tel you now Im lazy to search how it is called )))

I disagree that starting zones aren't popular - they all seem to be fairly populated and Queensdale just has a train plus all the black key farmers.

Plus, it is easy and quick to finish dailies in the starting areas.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Originally posted by richkak

I've been having more free time than usual recently; would it be worth it to just play this game for a month or two? I'm just wondering if there are plenty of active players... 

Any other game suggestions would be much appreciated as well; I'm very open minded. Thanks!

If all I had were a couple months of free time for an MMO, This would probably be the game I'd go to.

• WootloopsWootloops Member UncommonPosts: 165

I wouldn't recommend this game. It's the video game version of Windows 8, except without the good performance which Windows 8 provides.

The only game of worth remains to be World of Warcraft. Other than that, Tera is free to play and somewhat amusing due to its combat system and female character models and animations.

• Bad.dogBad.dog Member UncommonPosts: 1,131
    Originally posted by Wootloops

I wouldn't recommend this game. It's the video game version of Windows 8, except without the good performance which Windows 8 provides.

The only game of worth remains to be World of Warcraft. Other than that, Tera is free to play and somewhat amusing due to its combat system and female character models and animations.

This post almost makes poster-boy status with the hater's on mmo forums .....and confirms 100% why every mmo needs solo play content and a drop from group button

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Great game, just do it! Especially for the time frame you have considered.

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

Originally posted by Bad.dog

This post almost makes poster-boy status with the hater's on mmo forums .....and confirms 100% why every mmo needs solo play content and a drop from group button

It's not hate; I'm just speaking truth. I like Guild Wars 2 for trying to do things differently, just as I like Microsoft for that. But the end result of both efforts was a poorly implemented, oversimplified, and fragmented mess; and so the incumbant remains in office (WoW).

• StarS0ftStarS0ft Member UncommonPosts: 124
    Originally posted by Wootloops
    Originally posted by Bad.dog

It's not hate; I'm just speaking truth. I like Guild Wars 2 for trying to do things differently, just as I like Microsoft for that. But the end result of both efforts was a poorly implemented, oversimplified, and fragmented mess; and so the incumbant remains in office (WoW).

you forgot to add: this is your very personal opinion.

for me: I leaved wow and play now 1.5 years in GW2 only and love this game. thanks to Arenanet :)

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916

I played GW2 for a few months and really enjoyed the levelling experience. Little did I know that the PvE in this game is sooooo lacking once you hit level 80. GW2 does not even have 1/10 of the depth that WoW raiding used to have. Not being stuck with playing only 1 role (healer, tank, dps) sounds good on paper but results in one very shallow dungeon experience. It feels like a stupid all dps on mode where you move and dodge like an idiot. Boooooooring :D Any of the WoW heroic raids is like rocket science compared to the dungeons in GW2.

The actual levelling experience is fun because the game world is beautiful and it's fun to explore. But it's piss easy. I don't understand how we get so much QQ that WoW leveling is easy but nothing about the braindead leveling difficulty of GW2.

Long story short, get it. For the money you're paying it's worth it even if you just level up one char to 80.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

Originally posted by StarS0ft

you forgot to add: this is your very personal opinion.

for me: I leaved wow and play now 1.5 years in GW2 only and love this game. thanks to Arenanet :)

My statements are based on objective truths, not opinions.

• Sajman01Sajman01 Member Posts: 204
    It's a great game until it stops being a great game. I know that sounds stupid but you'll love the game for a few months then wake up one day and be like 'this sucks' and it never gets better again.
  • CorehavenCorehaven Member UncommonPosts: 1,533
    Originally posted by Sajman01
    It's a great game until it stops being a great game. I know that sounds stupid but you'll love the game for a few months then wake up one day and be like 'this sucks' and it never gets better again.

THIS ^^  

You'll have a lot of fun at first, or you might.  It's a good game.  But after a couple of months there's not much to do, you've seen everything, and you'll have probably fully experienced everything you want to do with it. 

It's a wonderful short term mmo experience.  You can also go back and play it later anytime you want as there is no sub fee. 

This is also coming from a MAJOR GW2 fan back in the day.  But I have to admit I don't play it anymore and I thought I'd be playing it for a good long time.  I was wrong. 

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,004
    I'm going to restart it with a new character.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• ichihaifuichihaifu Member UncommonPosts: 280

I love how the first page derailed.

Anyway, this game is definitely worth the cost and you'll have tons of fun playing it. Nobody knows how long you end up playing it, but atleast first couple of weeks you'll have fun.

Originally posted by Sajman01

This was not true in the beginning though, when Anet still made some even slightly interesting content. Now its all boring scarlet and nothing actually ever happens outside of random boss battles, meanwhile the world goes around like nothing ever happened after 2 weeks.