Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Smedley announces SWG-type MMO

ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

While the closing of Vanguard, Free Realms and Wizardy Online may sadden some fans, an unexpected move was Smedley annoucing a sort of SWG-like game, on Reddit:

http://www.reddit.com/r/EQNext/comments/1w2lu2/im_john_smedley_president_of_soe_amaa/cey4rth

Asked, if he could relaunch a title, which one would be pick, and what he did different he answered:

"SWG. I would do everything differently.

SWG PLAYERS - OUR NEXT GAME (not announced yet) IS DEDICATED TO YOU. Once we launch it... you can come home now."

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

Comments

• SanguinelustSanguinelust Member UncommonPosts: 812
    Originally posted by Elikal

While the closing of Vanguard, Free Realms and Wizardy Online may sadden some fans, an unexpected move was Smedley annoucing a sort of SWG-like game, on Reddit:

http://www.reddit.com/r/EQNext/comments/1w2lu2/im_john_smedley_president_of_soe_amaa/cey4rth

Asked, if he could relaunch a title, which one would be pick, and what he did different he answered:

SWG PLAYERS - OUR NEXT GAME (not announced yet) IS DEDICATED TO YOU. Once we launch it... you can come home now."

that right there worries me and makes me believe that our home is gone forever

• IylzIylz Member Posts: 107
    They take a dump all over the game we loved then want us to come back, Smedley can bite me. Support The Repopulation and get everything that once was SWG and better.
  • ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912
    Originally posted by cheyane

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/6148631/SWG-PLAYERS-OUR-NEXT-GAME-not-announced-yet-IS-DEDICATED-TO-YOU.html#6148631

Topic already here no need to make a new thread.

Aww rads someone was faster. XD

Can be closed.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141

LOL he says SWG is the one game he would like to resurrect, but states he would "do everything differently".

Then states all the SWG players "can come home"?

Does anyone at SOE even proof read what this guy writes? Because Id swear he's so focused on the PR machine of making everyone happy that everything out of his mouth is a contradiction.  Everything I read from this guy just reads like BS.

• CthulhuPuffsCthulhuPuffs Member UncommonPosts: 368
    Originally posted by Iylz
    They take a dump all over the game we loved then want us to come back, Smedley can bite me. Support The Repopulation and get everything that once was SWG and better.

Yep. Ill be playing the Repopulation. Everything SWG had and more, but without Smedley and SOE.

Bringer of Eternal Darkness and Despair, but also a Nutritious way to start your Morning.

Games Played: Too Many

• BarrikorBarrikor Member UncommonPosts: 373

The problem is that MMOers have long memories.

SOE already had their chance with SWG itself, and they blew it.

• HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502

Originally posted by CthulhuPuffs
    Originally posted by Iylz They take a dump all over the game we loved then want us to come back, Smedley can bite me. Support The Repopulation and get everything that once was SWG and better.
    Yep. Ill be playing the Repopulation. Everything SWG had and more, but without Smedley and SOE.

And I will be right there with you. Sorry Smed, fool me once...

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

• JestorRodoJestorRodo Member UncommonPosts: 2,642
    Originally posted by Elikal

Now ,  Yes , its me. Hello all, now that I have extended the pleasantries. I only hope that My old buddy John  is  not secretly behind or looking to buy "The Repopulation" for I am already a booster and  planning on playing.

Unaware of the Jestor?
    http://about.me/JestorRodo/

Friends enjoy his classic Vblog - https://www.facebook.com/GoodOldReliableNathan

• EverketEverket Member UncommonPosts: 244
    Originally posted by goboygo

LOL he says SWG is the one game he would like to resurrect, but states he would "do everything differently".

Does anyone at SOE even proof read what this guy writes? Because Id swear he's so focused on the PR machine of making everyone happy that everything out of his mouth is a contradiction.  Everything I read from this guy just reads like BS.

This.

Soe takes a dump on swg, then vg and quite a few other games. Surely we'll give him another chance just because he says so?! Its been years smedley, just fuck off will you?

• HelleriHelleri Member UncommonPosts: 930

I never actually got to play SWG (didn't really appeal to me when it was fresh, then I heard it went way downhill and didn't want to play it at all).

But Iunno...a guy named Smedley? It sounds like some one that medieval Carpathian children would have been warned about:

"Beware the broken glass toothed Smedley, of Mist Mountain child! He cometh for ye in the twighlight hour...should thou misbehave!" *The village hag Cackles Meniacaly as the small child runs, in terror, to make it home before the oil lamps are lit*

• KooshdinKooshdin Member Posts: 217

Cool!!!!

Swg vet says "Count me in!"

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063
    Originally posted by Everket
    Originally posted by goboygo

This.

Soe takes a dump on swg, then vg and quite a few other games. Surely we'll give him another chance just because he says so?! Its been years smedley, just fuck off will you?

Someone needs to pin him down and ask "Which version of SWG are you talking about?" as there were three versions of that game. He also needs to be asked if the version SOE creates will be changed while they chase the latest MMO fad. I'd love to see his answers to that. 

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• Cramit845Cramit845 Member UncommonPosts: 395

At this point I wouldn't put to much stock in it.  Wait till there is a official announcement otherwise I would say he is just playing to the crowd.

• KirinRahlKirinRahl Member UncommonPosts: 159

Smedley, the man who was instrumental in absolutely gutting one of my favorite games of all time, now wishes to make amends?

I'll have a look at it, but I am gonna be the furthest possible thing away from gentle if it is not a Goddamn blinding light from heaven.

• BarCrowBarCrow Member UncommonPosts: 2,195

No wonder they were talking about all access to their games for a low $15. So...what's that going to end up...4 different Everquest games , 2 Planetside games and DCUO?  Woo. Talk about redundant. Oh yeah....and a SWG-type MMO. Seems they could never quite get down exactly what a SWG type MMO was in the first place. Now we're just supposed to take his word and trust they finally "nailed it".

I left out Dragon's Prophet......so there's that.

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    Originally posted by BarCrow
    No wonder they were talking about all access to their games for a low $15. So...what's that going to end up...4 different Everquest games , 2 Planetside games and DCUO?  Woo. Talk about redundant. Oh yeah....and a SWG-type MMO. Seems they could never quite get down exactly what a SWG type MMO was in the first place. Now we're just supposed to take his word and trust they finally "nailed it".

And Dragon's Prophet. They are working on the subscriber benefits now.

• BarCrowBarCrow Member UncommonPosts: 2,195
    Originally posted by Fendel84M
    Originally posted by BarCrow

And Dragon's Prophet. They are working on the subscriber benefits now.

Yeah..i guess I noticed while you posted this. Still ...5 high Fantasy, 2 SCI-FI FPS's , and SCI-Fi/Fantasy Superhero/VIllain action and a genre unspecific but seeming to lean towards SCi-FI MMO. I guess its as much variety as can be expected.

• ShezziShezzi Member Posts: 126
    Originally posted by Barrikor

I don't think so.

I'd be delighted to play a modern SWG2 that does it right. SWG was very outdated, and badly needed a revamp. Sony has done it's little experiment. Sony's Star Wars Clone Wars MMO will close soon, and Sony will now hopefully produce Star Wars Galaxies 2. The way it should have been done, without some of the rotten things that contributed to its decline.

The way I see it, SWTOR blew it too. I'm ready to give Sony another chance.

• StimzStimz Member UncommonPosts: 79
    Originally posted by Shezzi

I don't think so.

I'd be delighted to play a modern SWG2 that does it right. SWG was very outdated, and badly needed a revamp. Sony has done it's little experiment. The Star Wars Clone Wars title is closing, and Sony will now hopefully produce Star Wars Galaxies 2. The way it should have been done, without some of the rotten things that contributed to its decline.

Yeah, I absolutly Loved SWG- Post-NGE, Granted I did not try Pre-NGE, but SWG was my first MMO, and is the reason I love them today, Honestly, I like Sony, And I will happily Give them another try.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    Originally posted by KirinRahl

Smedley, the man who was instrumental in absolutely gutting one of my favorite games of all time, now wishes to make amends?

I'll have a look at it, but I am gonna be the furthest possible thing away from gentle if it is not a Goddamn blinding light from heaven.

Did he actually say they'd go back to pre-NCU or is it just we want to get bac kthose that played before the game was shut down?.....Like others have said, I dont believe too much that comes out of this guys mouth either.

Originally posted by Theocritus
    Originally posted by KirinRahl

Did he actually say they'd go back to pre-NCU or is it just we want to get bac kthose that played before the game was shut down?.....Like others have said, I dont believe too much that comes out of this guys mouth either.

I think there's more to it than this kind of grievance stuff.

The MMO market is so competitive now, that Sony has to put development into innovative ideas that break the boring MMO mold and resonate with players. I'd happily give a revamped SWG2 a go, I think they've learned a lot of lessons with their Star Wars Clone Wars MMO experiment, and by watching SWTOR's miscalculations.

I hope it's a SWG2 title. I suppose there's always a chance that it'll be some new concept, such as a Firefly MMO, or something along those lines. Who'm I kidding, I'd give that a go too.

Maybe Sony will announce something about this mystery MMO at their coming SOE LIve event (in August I think).

Originally posted by Stimz
    Originally posted by Shezzi

I don't think so.

I'd be delighted to play a modern SWG2 that does it right. SWG was very outdated, and badly needed a revamp. Sony has done it's little experiment. The Star Wars Clone Wars title is closing, and Sony will now hopefully produce Star Wars Galaxies 2. The way it should have been done, without some of the rotten things that contributed to its decline.

Yeah, I absolutly Loved SWG- Post-NGE, Granted I did not try Pre-NGE, but SWG was my first MMO, and is the reason I love them today, Honestly, I like Sony, And I will happily Give them another try.

I figure it won't hurt to give Sony's retake on SWG a go. Reckon it'll be free to try, and could be worth the effort.

• DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030

Heh you'd think with how Smed coupled with his penchant for complete spin was reviled before no one would care what he says anymore but nope as soon as he opens his mouth and drops a key phrase like SWG or sandbox we get 20 different threads about he same quote here and many pages of posts.

Personally don't give a crap what the man says but don't hold any grudges either I'll wait to play and judge each game for myself.

• RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852
        Hype??  Wasn't the same thing said about EQ3.. Remember the TRUE sequel to the original..  COUGH.. EQNext is no sequel..  I do believe in the "everything different" tho, but that remains to be seen.. and I have little faith in SOE and Smed when it comes to straight honest answers..  As much as a good sci-fi mmo would be nice, if it resembles the original SWG, but wouldn't it be too close to stepping on the toes of Planetside 2?
This discussion has been closed.